PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only One?

Kathianne
11-16-2007, 02:03 PM
:( That's been periodic times when I can't get access here? Just happened a bit ago, for about 10 minutes.

manu1959
11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
:( That's been periodic times when I can't get access here? Just happened a bit ago, for about 10 minutes.

me too....the server is balky....

Immanuel
11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Nope, I've had the same problem every now and then. The other night I thought I had been banned! I had a connection but could not get on. I figured, I'd been banned for arguing with dmp. :D

Immie

hjmick
11-16-2007, 02:11 PM

As much as I would love to tweak with your melon and say, "Yes, you're the only one, the rest of us are all laughing because you can't on," the truth is...No, you're not the only one. It happened to me as well.

If you look, you can see that the uptime has dropped to 99.72%. Everytime it happens, that number goes down.

Mr. P
11-16-2007, 02:19 PM

Same here...

jackass
11-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I havent had any issues getting ON...but alot of slowness issues.

Hagbard Celine
11-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Me too. Sometimes I can't get access. Other times links and pages won't populate for me. :dunno: Can you say server upgrade? Awkwaaaard.

Kathianne
11-16-2007, 04:12 PM
As much as I would love to tweak with your melon and say, "Yes, you're the only one, the rest of us are all laughing because you can't on," the truth is...No, you're not the only one. It happened to me as well.

If you look, you can see that the uptime has dropped to 99.72%. Everytime it happens, that number goes down.

I didn't say, uh, uh, never mind! You leave my melon alone! :laugh2: Thanks for that number deal, that helps. ;)

OCA
11-16-2007, 04:26 PM

Happens almost daily to me.

jimnyc
11-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Unfortunately, I am aware of all these issues. You can see that the board total time on the button at the top of the board and in my signature (gets updated every morning) is now displaying 99.72% uptime. That sounds great at first glance, but in reality it's horrible when you span it out over the length of a month.

There have been 8 downtimes since the server change and implementation of the monitor. Each one was only for a few minutes, and only HTTP crashing (Apache), but leaves the board useless for that time nonetheless.

There have been a few factors going into my delay of an upgrade/move. In order to move, you must first have a new server. Then the default vBulletin must be installed. Then the board needs to be shut off, and login via SSH and perform a SQL dump of the database. Import the database to the new site, and transfer all flat HTML files that aren't included with vBulletin. While this is all going on, the nameservers with my registrar would need to be updated to point to the new webhost. And no matter how many glowing reviews you can find for a particular host, there are no guarantees that you won't run into problems ANYWHERE you go. And I'm not fond of extended downtime, whether it be here or because of a move. Don't let me pop finances into the equation, as it's not easy here and everywhere I'm interested in moving to is almost double the price as here, but you generally can expect 99.99% uptime at such hosts.

Being with this host for so many years I have given them the benefit of time to resolve these outstanding issues. I told them in no uncertain terms that they were likely going to lose a loyal customer over these prolonged issues and they need to be resolved permanently. I understand that occasionally a server will have hiccups, but once or twice daily is unacceptable.

Just know that I am continually monitoring the situation. I get emailed in 3 different ways when the server is non-responsive. I do every test imaginable at that time, and immediately "harass" tech support to not only get us online, but push the repeated issue to them.

Let's just say I'm a little gun shy about moving just yet, between financial reasons and fear of downtime/data loss. But I assure you I'm not ignoring it and I want a stable environment more than any of us.

Kathianne
11-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately, I am aware of all these issues. You can see that the board total time on the button at the top of the board and in my signature (gets updated every morning) is now displaying 99.72% uptime. That sounds great at first glance, but in reality it's horrible when you span it out over the length of a month.

There have been 8 downtimes since the server change and implementation of the monitor. Each one was only for a few minutes, and only HTTP crashing (Apache), but leaves the board useless for that time nonetheless.

There have been a few factors going into my delay of an upgrade/move. In order to move, you must first have a new server. Then the default vBulletin must be installed. Then the board needs to be shut off, and login via SSH and perform a SQL dump of the database. Import the database to the new site, and transfer all flat HTML files that aren't included with vBulletin. While this is all going on, the nameservers with my registrar would need to be updated to point to the new webhost. And no matter how many glowing reviews you can find for a particular host, there are no guarantees that you won't run into problems ANYWHERE you go. And I'm not fond of extended downtime, whether it be here or because of a move. Don't let me pop finances into the equation, as it's not easy here and everywhere I'm interested in moving to is almost double the price as here, but you generally can expect 99.99% uptime at such hosts.

Being with this host for so many years I have given them the benefit of time to resolve these outstanding issues. I told them in no uncertain terms that they were likely going to lose a loyal customer over these prolonged issues and they need to be resolved permanently. I understand that occasionally a server will have hiccups, but once or twice daily is unacceptable.

Just know that I am continually monitoring the situation. I get emailed in 3 different ways when the server is non-responsive. I do every test imaginable at that time, and immediately "harass" tech support to not only get us online, but push the repeated issue to them.

Let's just say I'm a little gun shy about moving just yet, between financial reasons and fear of downtime/data loss. But I assure you I'm not ignoring it and I want a stable environment more than any of us.

Jim, it's not that big of a deal. For some reason, probably because I've been home, sick, it seems to happen when I'm trying to respond. Don't worry about it, I thought perhaps some machine just didn't want to hear from me. :laugh2: Then I thought, 'stupid machine!'

Yurt
11-16-2007, 06:21 PM
howz the finances for the board?

i just landed a pretty sweet job, but don't get paid till the end of Dec. let me know.

Pale Rider
11-16-2007, 06:29 PM

No... it happens to me a lot too, and I have T1 cable.

Kathianne
11-16-2007, 06:30 PM

i just landed a pretty sweet job, but don't get paid till the end of Dec. let me know.

Congrats! Couldn't happen to a nicer or smarter guy!

Yurt
11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
No... it happens to me a lot too, and I have T1 cable.

*bravado on*

me 3 and I have a T3 connection

:laugh2:

btw, it only matters if I am downloading a big file, other than that, it loads the same as the 1.5 meg service, but this 3M service is free till....i think feb.

jimnyc
11-16-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm ready to give up. You have no idea how frustrated I am right now. I spent the last 3 hours working on other sites of mine, then I suddenly start getting auto-emailed that this site is down again. Not only was it down, but I was getting a page not found / 404 error. When trying to FTP in I was getting an authentication error, and I thought the site was hacked and/or gone. Of course I immediately open a ticket...

I check daily for security updates for every program/script I use on every one of my sites and take every precaution I can think of to secure my sites.

Anyway, haven't even heard back from them other than they were having the guys at the data center take a look at the server. Since it's back up, and I can access all areas, I guess it just went to the shitter again for awhile.

All I can do at this point is offer all of you my sincerest of apologies, and think of how I must feel. I won't make many false promises right now BUT I guarantee you that there will be some announcements coming soon and some changes.

Mr. P
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm ready to give up. You have no idea how frustrated I am right now. I spent the last 3 hours working on other sites of mine, then I suddenly start getting auto-emailed that this site is down again. Not only was it down, but I was getting a page not found / 404 error. When trying to FTP in I was getting an authentication error, and I thought the site was hacked and/or gone. Of course I immediately open a ticket...

I check daily for security updates for every program/script I use on every one of my sites and take every precaution I can think of to secure my sites.

Anyway, haven't even heard back from them other than they were having the guys at the data center take a look at the server. Since it's back up, and I can access all areas, I guess it just went to the shitter again for awhile.

All I can do at this point is offer all of you my sincerest of apologies, and think of how I must feel. I won't make many false promises right now BUT I guarantee you that there will be some announcements coming soon and some changes.

Yeah me too.. for about an hr.

Guernicaa
11-17-2007, 12:18 AM
I seem to almost always have good luck getting on.

nevadamedic
11-17-2007, 02:09 AM

Me too, i'll help out with finances if needed.