PDA

View Full Version : Troopers Fight Atheist Group Over Roadside Cross Memorials

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Will these secular progressives ever give it a rest, or do they enjoy making fopls of themselves?

Now memorials to dead Police officers is "offensive" to them

Families of Fallen Utah Highway Patrol Troopers Fight Atheist Group Over Roadside Cross Memorials
Friday, November 16, 2007

By Melissa Underwood

If a national atheist organization has its way, a series of 12-foot-tall memorial crosses that adorn Utah's highways will be taken down.

But not if the families of the people those crosses honor — state Highway Patrol troopers killed in the line of duty — have anything to say about it.

American Atheists Inc. has filed a federal lawsuit, arguing that the 13 white, steel crosses represent the death of Jesus Christ and therefore violate the First Amendment to the Constitution, which prohibits government establishment of religion.

But the families of the fallen heroes say otherwise. They say the crosses, which bear the names and badge numbers of the troopers, were built strictly as memorials.

"We're being attacked personally for something we did to help us heal," said Clint Pierson, whose father, Trooper Ray Lynn Pierson, was shot and killed during a traffic stop in 1978.

"We put the crosses up as a memorial to the fallen officers."

The Utah Highway Patrol Association defends the crosses, which have the Highway Patrol logo on them and have been erected on government land. It says they are secular symbols that both honor the troopers and remind speeding drivers to slow down.

for the complete article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311956,00.html

Hagbard Celine
11-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Stupid people bickering over something stupid. :dunno:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:18 PM

So it is stupid to have memorials to dead Policemen?

April15
11-16-2007, 04:25 PM
So it is stupid to have memorials to dead Policemen?I am atheist but can see no reason to be upset with somebody else wanting to memorialize a slain officer or another human life lost by some careless driver.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I am atheist but can see no reason to be upset with somebody else wanting to memorialize a slain officer or another human life lost by some careless driver.

For once we agree

Hagbard Celine
11-16-2007, 04:30 PM
So it is stupid to have memorials to dead Policemen?

Yes, that's what I meant.:rolleyes:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Yes, that's what I meant.:rolleyes:

I see you have the same amount of respect for slain policemen as you do the troops

Typicall moonbat liberal who disrespects those who give you the freedom to show the world what an asshole you are

theHawk
11-16-2007, 04:34 PM
American Atheists Inc. has filed a federal lawsuit, arguing that the 13 white, steel crosses represent the death of Jesus Christ and therefore violate the First Amendment to the Constitution, which prohibits government establishment of religion.

Actually the Amendment says the government shall not make a law respecting an establishment of religion.

But of course, liberals don't know how to read plain English. Since when is erecting a cross as a memorial the equivelant to Congress passing a law respecting an establishment of religion? The clause basically means Congress cannot declare a particular established church, such as the Catholic church or the Baptist church, as the official religion of the country. It does not mean that government agencies cannot even make references to religion.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Actually the Amendment says the government shall not make a law respecting an establishment of religion.

But of course, liberals don't know how to read plain English. Since when is erecting a cross as a memorial the equivelant to Congress passing a law respecting an establishment of religion? The clause basically means Congress cannot declare a particular established church, such as the Catholic church or the Baptist church, as the official religion of the country. It does not mean that government agencies cannot even make references to religion.

Some libs sole purpose in life is to walk around and look for things to bitch about - no matter how petty the issue

This is one of them

theHawk
11-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Some libs sole purpose in life is to walk around and look for things to bitch about - no matter how petty the issue

This is one of them

Its more than just bitching because they have nothing better to do. Some libs, like these asswipes, are waging war against Christianity.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Its more than just bitching because they have nothing better to do. Some libs, like these asswipes, are waging war against Christianity.

They are already attacking Christmas this year you know

If these were Muslim memorials nobody would say a word. If they did they would be accused of bieng racists

darin
11-16-2007, 04:44 PM

...and their bitching is wasting tax dollars, too. :(

Next thing they'll sue the Ambulance companies and counties for the red Cross painted on the sides.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 04:45 PM
...and their bitching is wasting tax dollars, too. :(

Next thing they'll sue the Ambulance companies and counties for the red Cross painted on the sides.

Or remove the crosses out of Arlington National - that is government property

Hagbard Celine
11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I see you have the same amount of respect for slain policemen as you do the troops

Typicall moonbat liberal who disrespects those who give you the freedom to show the world what an asshole you are

Yes, I have no respect for slain policemen. :rolleyes:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes, I have no respect for slain policemen. :rolleyes:

The next time your house is being broken into, or you get mugged, your car is stolen - I hope the cops take their time getting to you, and take even longer to fill out the paperwork

Hagbard Celine
11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
The next time your house is being broken into, or you get mugged, your car is stolen - I hope the cops take their time getting to you, and take even longer to fill out the paperwork

Thanks for your kind words :rolleyes:

red states rule
11-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for your kind words :rolleyes:

You are welcome :fu:

Hagbard Celine
11-16-2007, 05:40 PM
You are welcome :fu:

Yeah no problem. I appreciate you hoping that I get burglarized, car jacked and beat up. Really appreciate that. Thanks Christian brother.

Abbey Marie
11-16-2007, 05:43 PM

This from the guy who thinks calling ourselves 'Americans' is a tragedy?

red states rule
11-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah no problem. I appreciate you hoping that I get burglarized, car jacked and beat up. Really appreciate that. Thanks Christian brother.

I was not hoping any of those things happen to you

But if you need those cops you hate so much, I hope they take their sweet time getting to you

darin
11-16-2007, 05:48 PM
RSR - I think you misunderstood. I think HB's first reply was meaning those who sued are idiots bitching about NOTHING...his subsequent remarks were sarcasm; not to be taken literally.

red states rule
11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
RSR - I think you misunderstood. I think HB's first reply was meaning those who sued are idiots bitching about NOTHING...his subsequent remarks were sarcasm; not to be taken literally.

In that case, I humbily apologize for not seeing it as sarcasm

My error

Immanuel
11-16-2007, 07:11 PM
They are already attacking Christmas this year you know

If these were Muslim memorials nobody would say a word. If they did they would be accused of bieng racists

Or die a horrible death.

Immie

actsnoblemartin
11-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I heard the head of atheists, she sounded like a retard

Will these secular progressives ever give it a rest, or do they enjoy making fopls of themselves?

Now memorials to dead Police officers is "offensive" to them

Families of Fallen Utah Highway Patrol Troopers Fight Atheist Group Over Roadside Cross Memorials
Friday, November 16, 2007

By Melissa Underwood

If a national atheist organization has its way, a series of 12-foot-tall memorial crosses that adorn Utah's highways will be taken down.

But not if the families of the people those crosses honor — state Highway Patrol troopers killed in the line of duty — have anything to say about it.

But the families of the fallen heroes say otherwise. They say the crosses, which bear the names and badge numbers of the troopers, were built strictly as memorials.

"We're being attacked personally for something we did to help us heal," said Clint Pierson, whose father, Trooper Ray Lynn Pierson, was shot and killed during a traffic stop in 1978.

"We put the crosses up as a memorial to the fallen officers."

The Utah Highway Patrol Association defends the crosses, which have the Highway Patrol logo on them and have been erected on government land. It says they are secular symbols that both honor the troopers and remind speeding drivers to slow down.

for the complete article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311956,00.html

red states rule
11-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I heard the head of atheists, she sounded like a retard

Sounded like? She is a retard

She makes MM look like a MENSA member