PDA

View Full Version : Raw winter weather

Classact
11-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Tiz the season... yesterday on the way to Walmart there were still wet puddles at each stop light and upon arriving I was greeted with the hum of refrigerated trailer trucks in the mall parking lot with live Christmas trees snuggled inside...

Turned cold here today as another day of chilling rain continued... It was so cold that I turned off the fans and am seriously thinking of closing the windows if this keeps up.

Just how cold is it where your live? Here's mine http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Aguadilla&state=PR&site=SJU&textField1=18.4397&textField2=-67.1549

red states rule
11-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Tiz the season... yesterday on the way to Walmart there were still wet puddles at each stop light and upon arriving I was greeted with the hum of refrigerated trailer trucks in the mall parking lot with live Christmas trees snuggled inside...

Turned cold here today as another day of chilling rain continued... It was so cold that I turned off the fans and am seriously thinking of closing the windows if this keeps up.

Just how cold is it where your live? Here's mine http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Aguadilla&state=PR&site=SJU&textField1=18.4397&textField2=-67.1549

are we still in danger from global warming?

Classact
11-16-2007, 09:34 PM
are we still in danger from global warming?Last winter was the coldest here in almost two decades... but there were still little AC puddles at each traffic light on most afternoons.

Mr. P
11-16-2007, 10:58 PM

You PUTZ!!!
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Conyers&state=GA&site=FFC&textField1=33.664&textField2=-84.0124

hjmick
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Yeah, it's been downright rough where I am:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?site=lox&smap=1&textField1=34.204052&textField2=-118.98072

Pale Rider
11-17-2007, 02:58 AM
We're going up to Virginia City Sunday on the bikes. It's going to be around 65 degrees. After that there's a cool down coming. I don't care. It's warm here long enough. I'm hoping it snows soon. I'd like to have a white Christmas.

stephanie
11-17-2007, 03:26 AM
Geeeerrrrr...

We are having a day of snow..so far more than 6" and still coming down hard..

The one GREAT thing...is our temp..out is around 15 degrees ABOVE 0....
this time of yr..we are usually around 10 to 20 below 0..

We love Global warming up here....:dance:

darin
11-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I PRAY for winter weather every year. I pray for WEEKS of snow. Most of the time, God says "If you want snow...MOVE!"

:)

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I PRAY for winter weather every year. I pray for WEEKS of snow. Most of the time, God says "If you want snow...MOVE!"

:)

Yeah, you would have nice big, puffy snowflakes. Great for sledding and snowballs. Not small needles of icy snow, cutting into your face in 20 below wind chills. :laugh2:

I love warm, wet, snows! Pretty, although you can't 'shovel' it with sweeping.

jackass
11-17-2007, 01:11 PM
We have had pretty cold mornings (about low 30's) then move into nice mild afternoons, around mid 50's to high 60's. Cant complain here right now! :D

diuretic
11-17-2007, 01:50 PM
are we still in danger from global warming?

Yes, new report just out bears some reading. This is what it says about where I live -

A DROP in Murray-Darling river system flows of up to 48 per cent if temperatures rise by 3-4C.

PEAK Adelaide electricity demand rising by as much as 25 per cent.

AN increase of up to 200 per cent in temperature-related deaths among Adelaide people aged over 65.

A RISE in the frequency of extreme weather events, including storms, droughts, floods and bushfires.

A RISE of 150 per cent in the number of days the temperature rises above 35C in South Australia each year.

Sorry, I know this is about your winter, not the weather where I am.

The weather this week here?

Today's estimated maximum of 34C will be followed by 37C tomorrow and 39C on Tuesday – the ninth day in 10 over 30C.

Yes, we're worried about global climate change.

Classact
11-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes, new report just out bears some reading. This is what it says about where I live -

Sorry, I know this is about your winter, not the weather where I am.

The weather this week here?

Yes, we're worried about global climate change.So, it's winter where you are now right? How warm does it get in the summer?

It gets over 30C every day of the year here maybe with the exception of a half dozen days in the winter...

Does the water spin in the same direction as typhoons or the other way around and do you know why?

Mr. P
11-17-2007, 02:21 PM
So, it's winter where you are now right? How warm does it get in the summer?

It gets over 30C every day of the year here maybe with the exception of a half dozen days in the winter...

Does the water spin in the same direction as typhoons or the other way around and do you know why?

Coriolis force

Classact
11-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Coriolis forceA little harder question... if you were standing on a train platform and a bullet train one mile long traveling 200MPH were passing was stuck by lightning on each end of the train at the exact same time as the train met the halfway point would the charge meet at your location or closer to the front or rear of the train?

Is the 22nd of December the shortest day or night of the year if you live in Alaska or Australia?

jackass
11-17-2007, 04:14 PM
A little harder question... if you were standing on a train platform and a bullet train one mile long traveling 200MPH were passing was stuck by lightning on each end of the train at the exact same time as the train met the halfway point would the charge meet at your location or closer to the front or rear of the train?

Is the 22nd of December the shortest day or night of the year if you live in Alaska or Australia?

:confused:

:gives:

:laugh2:

Pale Rider
11-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Geeeerrrrr...

We are having a day of snow..so far more than 6" and still coming down hard..

The one GREAT thing...is our temp..out is around 15 degrees ABOVE 0....
this time of yr..we are usually around 10 to 20 below 0..

We love Global warming up here....:dance:

So you went back to Alaska aye?

stephanie
11-17-2007, 04:50 PM
So you went back to Alaska aye?

Yeah...still working out the plans for the big move...
When I was younger, moving wasn't so big of deal...Now it's like ugh.

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 04:53 PM

I hear you, I'm thinking of having an estate sale when I sell, except I won't be dead. :laugh2: Let them pick over what's here, I want new.

diuretic
11-18-2007, 04:49 AM
So, it's winter where you are now right? How warm does it get in the summer?

Spring now - and summer starts 1 December. Summer it gets over 40c regularly but fortunately only for about four or five days and then we get a cool change from the south (basically it's air that comes from the Antarctic and into the Southern Ocean and to my state. I live not far from the coast so while summer can have scorching days they are relieved. Last summer I think the hottest it got was 43c for a few days. But for me, anything over about 36c is bloody hot. Funny when I worked in the outback it never worried me (I was either down a dugout, an opal mine or in the pub :D).

Waaaaaaaaaay north of me is a town called Oodnadatta. It is very hot there in summer.:

Oodnadatta, South Australia 50.7 C (123.3 F) on the 2nd January, 1960

Allegedly the hottest temp in Australia but that's in dispute of course.

Those temps are in the shade of course. No heat index, just air temp in a whatsit box they use to measure temps.

I keep meaning to check the water swirl, but I forget to do it.

Classact
11-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Spring now - and summer starts 1 December. Summer it gets over 40c regularly but fortunately only for about four or five days and then we get a cool change from the south (basically it's air that comes from the Antarctic and into the Southern Ocean and to my state. I live not far from the coast so while summer can have scorching days they are relieved. Last summer I think the hottest it got was 43c for a few days. But for me, anything over about 36c is bloody hot. Funny when I worked in the outback it never worried me (I was either down a dugout, an opal mine or in the pub :D).I've watched a lot of travel TV shows about Australia and on a alternative energy site I use there are loads of members... it seems AE is very active in Australia. A lot of my friends went there on R & R during Vietnam but I only heard about the hot women and bars and little more... When I was stationed in Germany my secretary informed me one hot summer day that she was going home... she said, I can't work under these conditions... it was a record breaking 86F (around 29-30C)... she would die in your or my climate.

Waaaaaaaaaay north of me is a town called Oodnadatta. It is very hot there in summer.:

Oodnadatta, South Australia 50.7 C (123.3 F) on the 2nd January, 1960

Allegedly the hottest temp in Australia but that's in dispute of course.

Those temps are in the shade of course. No heat index, just air temp in a whatsit box they use to measure temps.Damn that's hot!!! Here it is more of a sauna most of the time with dew points of 75F and high humidity... we are like a cork floating in a bowl of hot water... water temps are very comfortable year round and the only swimming interruptions are from jellyfish. There is one corner of our island that is hot and dry on the S. East of the island... the mountains, which aren't that high are cooler but not much cooler.

I keep meaning to check the water swirl, but I forget to do it. I really didn't care, just making conversation... likewise the bullet train thing was explained on a show I watched the other day on Albert Einstein as to how he explained the warping of the universe... and, again I'm not interested to have an answer... because I didn't get it on the TV show.

red states rule
11-18-2007, 09:34 AM
The liberal media continues to beat the drum of global warming

ABC: Accept Global Warming or Violate 'Moral Imperative'
By Mark Finkelstein | November 18, 2007 - 09:23 ET

If you don't buy into a Goresque view of global warming, you're not just wrong -- you're immoral. That was ABC's implication this morning.

The notion came from Good Morning America co-anchor Bill Weir at the end of his interview of Jim Gooch. The Dem state representative from Kentucky recently had the audacity to hold hearings with witnesses who cast doubt on global warming theories.

You knew where GMA was headed by the set-up segment that preceded the interview. It was one long alarmist scare, with everything from the typhoon in Bangladesh to the wildfires in California being blamed on global warming.

Then it was on to Gooch. Despite his flamboyant sartorial style, the state legislator came across as level-headed and well-informed. He didn't deny that there's been global warming, and even acknowledged that man has had an effect. But he warned that some of the legislative fixes being proposed could be disastrous, pointing out that the Chamber of Commerce has stated that the Lieberman-Warner bill could destroy 3.4 million American jobs and cost our economy $6 trillion.

That did nothing to assuage Weir's fury.

BILL WEIR [voice rising]: But according to all these scientists, the more hand-wringing we do, the more we dither on this, the worse it's going to get. And what if you're wrong? What if this in fact is a global catastrophe? Isn't it a moral imperative as a public servant to err on the side of planetary survival?

That would appear to make people who don't accept Weir's moral imperative . . . immoral.

Pet Peeve Alert: GMA aired not one but two clips of calving glaciers, which as we know is a normal phenomenon which far from being evidence of global warming is the result of the growth of glaciers, not their shrinking. ARGH!

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2007/11/18/abc-accept-global-warming-or-violate-moral-imperative

Pale Rider
11-18-2007, 09:58 AM

Oh man I hear that. When I moved up here from Phoenix, I had really pared back. I could get everything I owned in a Ford Cargo van and a small U-Hual trailer. Now... shit... it'll take one big ass truck, and it will HAVE to have a lift gate. I have some BIG, HEAVY stuff to move when I move up to Montana. I'm looking forward to moving to Montana, but I am so not looking forward to the work involved.

jackass
11-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh man I hear that. When I moved up here from Phoenix, I had really pared back. I could get everything I owned in a Ford Cargo van and a small U-Hual trailer. Now... shit... it'll take one big ass truck, and it will HAVE to have a lift gate. I have some BIG, HEAVY stuff to move when I move up to Montana. I'm looking forward to moving to Montana, but I am so not looking forward to the work involved.

Big Sky Country Baby!!! Always wanted to live there. Maybe have my own ranch with a few horses..ride a pony down to my private lake or stream to go fishing. Ahhh...paradise. :)

Classact
11-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Big Sky Country Baby!!! Always wanted to live there. Maybe have my own ranch with a few horses..ride a pony down to my private lake or stream to go fishing. Ahhh...paradise. :)I had a friend in the Army from there and he said it got cold so fast there you could go hunting for pheasants with a stick... it seems the temp falls so fast it freezes their butts to the ground.

jackass
11-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I had a friend in the Army from there and he said it got cold so fast there you could go hunting for pheasants with a stick... it seems the temp falls so fast it freezes their butts to the ground.

Is that true?? That would be pretty funny! Pale..you will have to let us know!

P.S.
I call it now.....Pale will be hosting (in Montana) the first DP.com get together! :D

Classact
11-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Is that true?? That would be pretty funny! Pale..you will have to let us know!

P.S.
I call it now.....Pale will be hosting (in Montana) the first DP.com get together! :DThe guy told me that they have these storms that sweep out of Canada that cause the temp's to fall as much as 60 degrees in a single hour...

I had another friend that drilled oil wells and he just said the food is bland and sucks in Montana but he was from Oklahoma where food is a little more spicy.

mrg666
11-18-2007, 05:29 PM
we've just had 3 hours of snow now it's raining , with a promise of snow again later .

manu1959
11-18-2007, 06:00 PM
....sunny blue skies and 70.....gotta love the left coast.....

Kathianne
11-18-2007, 06:05 PM

:slap: Meant in the nicest, possible way. :laugh2:

mrg666
11-18-2007, 06:07 PM

go on tell us you been sun bathing

manu1959
11-18-2007, 06:10 PM
go on tell us you been sun bathing

nah watched a bit of football now watching cars turn left......and of course the soap opera that is DP.....

diuretic
11-18-2007, 07:24 PM
I've watched a lot of travel TV shows about Australia and on a alternative energy site I use there are loads of members... it seems AE is very active in Australia. A lot of my friends went there on R & R during Vietnam but I only heard about the hot women and bars and little more... When I was stationed in Germany my secretary informed me one hot summer day that she was going home... she said, I can't work under these conditions... it was a record breaking 86F (around 29-30C)... she would die in your or my climate.

Damn that's hot!!! Here it is more of a sauna most of the time with dew points of 75F and high humidity... we are like a cork floating in a bowl of hot water... water temps are very comfortable year round and the only swimming interruptions are from jellyfish. There is one corner of our island that is hot and dry on the S. East of the island... the mountains, which aren't that high are cooler but not much cooler.

I really didn't care, just making conversation... likewise the bullet train thing was explained on a show I watched the other day on Albert Einstein as to how he explained the warping of the universe... and, again I'm not interested to have an answer... because I didn't get it on the TV show.

In our tropical north (above the Tropic of Capricorn) it gets bloody humid at this time of year. They three seasons - Dry, Buildup and Wet. Dry is good, it's in our winter/your summer, lovely and warm with minimal humidity; buildup is a real bugger - I've been to Darwin in the buildup and it's go-off-your-head-nutso weather, oppressive; I haven't been up there in the Wet but I'm told it's spectacular.

I prefer our climate here - dry desert (actually the north of my state is very reminiscent of Arizona and Nevada), humidity drives me crazy. It makes me do weird things - like discussing politics :laugh2:

diuretic
11-18-2007, 07:25 PM
we've just had 3 hours of snow now it's raining , with a promise of snow again later .

Better get the washing in :laugh2: