PDA

View Full Version : "Talk to you late Buckwheat"

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 08:49 AM
http://www.wdsu.com/news/14573933/detail.html

This person needs to get out of politics and go into rehab.

Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark

POSTED: 12:48 pm CST November 12, 2007
UPDATED: 4:21 pm CST November 12, 2007

HOUMA, La. -- A state representative in a runoff election infuriated civil rights leaders after she ended a conversation with the mother of the NAACP's local president by saying, "Talk to you later, Buckwheat."

State Rep. Carla Blanchard Dartez, of Morgan City, acknowledged she made the remark during a Thursday night telephone conversation with Hazel Boykin to thank her for driving voters to the polls.

Buckwheat, a black child character in the "Little Rascals" comedies of the 1930s and '40s, is viewed as a racial stereotype demeaning to black people.

Hazel Boykin's son, Jerome, is the NAACP's president in Terrebonne Parish. She is well-known as a 1960s civil rights activist, helping to desegregate restaurants and the parish school system.

Dartez has represented parts of Terrebonne, St. Mary and Assumption parishes since 1999. She has said she does not intend to drop out of the race.

Oh and by the way shes a democrat.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 10:22 AM
I noticed the liberal media did not include the women was a Dem

If this was a Republican, it would have been the lead story, and Rev Al would be holding press conferences caling for her to step down

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 10:27 AM
It says it right in the article.

Fox has labeled Rs as Dems when they were caught doing things.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 10:30 AM

Where in the article does it say she is a Dem?

Abbey Marie
11-17-2007, 10:34 AM

:link:

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.bradblog.com/?p=3570

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/07/24/fox-news-labels-arlen-specter-a-democrat/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel_controversies#Criticism_of_Ethics

The network has also drawn repeated criticism for falsely or poorly identifying guests on political programs. On the January 6, 2006 edition of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes two former Congressmen were brought on to discuss the "formula for success for the Democratic Party to win in 2006." One, Jimmy Hayes, was identified in a caption as a Democrat. He had become a Republican in 1995. The other, George Nethercutt Jr., was not identified by party but is also a Republican.[94] Also, during a recent edition of The O'Reilly Factor, congressman Mark Foley, a Republican in trouble for writing sexually suggestive e-mails and instant messages to underage congressional pages, was misidentified as a Democrat in the onscreen text. Senator Arlen Specter was also mislabeled as a Democrat on Special Report with Brit Hume.[citation needed] When Oxford biologist Richard Dawkins, who is an outspoken atheist, appeared on The O'Reilly Factor, he was simply labeled: "Atheist".[

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 10:39 AM

HOUMA, La. -- A state representative in a runoff election infuriated civil rights leaders after she ended a conversation with the mother of the NAACP's local president by saying, "Talk to you later, Buckwheat."

State Rep. Carla Blanchard Dartez, of Morgan City, acknowledged she made the remark during a Thursday night telephone conversation with Hazel Boykin to thank her for driving voters to the polls.

Buckwheat, a black child character in the "Little Rascals" comedies of the 1930s and '40s, is viewed as a racial stereotype demeaning to black people.

Hazel Boykin's son, Jerome, is the NAACP's president in Terrebonne Parish. She is well-known as a 1960s civil rights activist, helping to desegregate restaurants and the parish school system.

Dartez has represented parts of Terrebonne, St. Mary and Assumption parishes since 1999. She has said she does not intend to drop out of the race.

Gee RSR, didn't you see this, I bolded it. Funny though, the link is now to the apology and I see no reference to party. It's also weird that they left off the possive on "she's" and didn't capitalize the party. Here's where the link goes to now:

[NEWSVINE: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark] [DELICIOUS: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark] [DIGG: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark] [FACEBOOK: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark] [REDDIT: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark] [RSS] [PRINT: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark] [EMAIL: Candidate Apologizes For 'Buckwheat' Remark]

"I made an insensitive comment when speaking with Hazel Boykin, and I have apologized to the Boykin family and publicly for my choice of words," Dartez said in a statement. "I have a strong record of fighting for issues important to the African American community; in fact, I have a 93 percent voting record with the Black Caucus."

But the "Buckwheat" remark is the latest bit of trouble for Dartez and her husband, Lenny, who is a member of the Democratic Party's State Central Committee.

Before qualifying in September, Carla Dartez was given a summons for improper lane usage after hitting a pedestrian with her vehicle. She failed a field sobriety test but passed a later Breathalyzer test.

Earlier this month, Lenny Dartez was indicted on charges of allegedly harboring illegal aliens through his construction business.

Copyright 2007 by WDSU.com
It's just SOOOO unlike a newspaper to throw out a line like

Oh and by the way shes a democrat. and not see it in the revised copy. Then again, don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that thrown in quote before.

glockmail
11-17-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh and by the way shes a democrat. Kudos for rising above party and calling a spade a spade.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 10:42 AM
The lioberal media has run many stories on corruption and racial slurs about Dems - but they leave out the party affiliation

On the other side - does the word "macca" mean anything?

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Kudos for rising above party and calling a spade a spade.

After RSR asked, she added it, claiming it's from the article. Not easy to believe, not that I'm skeptical or anything. I agree the editors have gotten lazy, but when was the last time you saw that thrown at the end of an article. A possesive missing an apostrophe? Not knowing that Party Affiliation is capitalized?

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Where in the article does it say she is a Dem?

But the "Buckwheat" remark is the latest bit of trouble for Dartez and her husband, Lenny, who is a member of the Democratic Party's State Central Committee.

Your right Im sorry I missread this part. Maybe shes not?

red states rule
11-17-2007, 10:48 AM

Go to her website - he is a Dem

The liberal media "overlooked" that fact

So did the Baltimore Sun on this story........
Ex-Md. Legislator Gets Seven Years for Bribery, AP Ignores Party Affiliation
By Ken Shepherd | November 16, 2007 - 14:34 ET
Veteran Maryland political commentator, radio show host and White House correspondent Les Kinsolving often calls Maryland "The Land of Political Enchantment," and indeed the Old Line State never fails to enchant natives and outsiders alike with its bizarre --William Donald Schaefer comes to mind-- and often corrupt politicos.

Yet although the state is famously blue-hued with an overwhelmingly Democratic General Assembly, you can count on the media to ignore the party affiliation of Democratic state legislators who run afoul of the law.

Such was the case with the Associated Press today ignoring former state senator Thomas Bromwell's Democratic Party affiliation. AP follows the Washington Post's lead (see my July 24 article) in ignoring Bromwell's party connections.

To its credit the Baltimore Sun -- which Baltimore-based radio host Tom Marr refers to as "The Calvert and Centre Street Democrat Club" -- noted Bromwell's Democratic party affiliation in its November 16 article:

Today's sentencing hearing in U.S. District Court in Baltimore wraps up a long federal racketeering case filed in October 2005, which became one of the state's largest public corruption investigations. It ended with guilty pleas from both defendants. Bromwell, a Democrat, was accused of using his political power to help Baltimore-based Poole and Kent in exchange for more than $200,000 in cash, bogus salary and discounted home-improvement materials.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2007/11/16/ex-md-legislator-gets-seven-years-bribery-ap-ignores-party-affiliation

There is a pattern not to mention these people are Dems when they get in toruble

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Gee RSR, didn't you see this, I bolded it. Funny though, the link is now to the apology and I see no reference to party. It's also weird that they left off the possive on "she's" and didn't capitalize the party. Here's where the link goes to now:

It's just SOOOO unlike a newspaper to throw out a line like

and not see it in the revised copy. Then again, don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that thrown in quote before.

I had no intention of having anyone think that last line was in the article.

Please bury your hatered and lets just discuss.

So what are you trying to point our RSR ? Fox mislabels people and the MSM media doesnt label people for a story?

glockmail
11-17-2007, 10:50 AM
After RSR asked, she added it, claiming it's from the article. Not easy to believe, not that I'm skeptical or anything. I agree the editors have gotten lazy, but when was the last time you saw that thrown at the end of an article. A possesive missing an apostrophe? Not knowing that Party Affiliation is capitalized?
It looked like she added it, not the newspaper.

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I had no intention of having anyone think that last line was in the article.

Please bury your hatered and lets just discuss.

Posts 2, 3 , & 4. Ok, now we can let it go.

glockmail
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
....There is a pattern not to mention these people are Dems when they get in toruble

Lets watch the Democrat apologists circle the wagons on this one. If she was a Republican she would be out on her ass. We don't tolerate racists and hypocrites.

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Lets watch the Democrat apologists circle the wagons on this one. If she was a Republican she would be out on her ass. We don't tolerate racists and hypocrites.

You wont see it.

They will all want her out of their party I bet.

This woman is a racist scumbag and needs to GTF out of my party.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:02 AM
You wont see it.

This woman is a racist scumbag and needs to GTF out of my party.

How about Robert Byrd, Biden (his Obama comment) or Hillary (her gandhi ran a gas station comment)

glockmail
You wont see it.

This woman is a racist scumbag and needs to GTF out of my party. Its good that you're so close to this story so you can see first hand how the Democrat party is the racist party. They will protect this woman for a while, try to hide the story, unless the poll numbers show her as a liability, in which case they'll throw her under the bus, run her over, then switch to reverse and run over her again.

Abbey Marie
How about Robert Byrd, Biden (his Obama comment) or Hillary (her gandhi ran a gas station comment)

Don't forget Biden's 7-11 comment.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Don'tforget Biden's 7-11 comment.

BINGO!!!!!!

I must be getting old. I need to you to keep straight Abbey

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Here’s what Biden said:

“In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.”

If you can not see the differance between suggesting only Indians own doughnut shops ad 7/11s and calling a person a "buckwheat" then you may not truely understand what real racism means?

glockmail
11-17-2007, 11:07 AM
It would be good to have a list of democrat comments like this, who said them and when, and the end result. Then compare with Republican, and see the huge difference.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:08 AM
Here’s what Biden said:

“In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking.”

If you can not see the differance between suggesting only Indians own doughnut shops ad 7/11s and calling a person a "buckwheat" then you may not truely understand what real racism means?

It was a racial slur - period

But he is a Dem and is given a pass

Another example of the liberal media ignoring a Dem when they get caught
Puffy Miami Herald Piece Omits Disgraced Sheriff's Party Label
By Ken Shepherd | November 16, 2007 - 12:56 ET
Another newspaper in the Sunshine State is failing to cast light on the Democratic Party affiliation of a disgraced former sheriff.

The Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel did the same thing in September, as NewsBuster P.J. Gladnick reported then. Now it's the Miami Herald's turn. And it's not like there weren't enough reporters working the November 16 story to unearth former Broward County Sheriff Ken Jenne's Democratic party affiliation. Three other Herald staffers joined writer Jay Weaver in spinning a gauzy story of how, "The powerful, not so powerful support Jenne.":

They ranged from Broward's most politically influential to a rehabilitated crack addict.

They crowded into a federal courtroom Friday morning to speak on behalf of former Broward Sheriff Ken Jenne, who will be sentenced on charges of fraud and income tax evasion.

Weaver, along with fellow Herald staffers Dan Christensen, Tenton Daniel and Wanda J. DeMarzo did affix party labels to current and former Democratic legislators, although not once to Jenne.

Of additional interest to political junkies, albeit tangential to this story, among one of Jenne's supporters is "Art Kennedy, the politically influential chief of staff" to Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.).

Although unmentioned in the article, Hastings once served as a federal judge but left the bench following conviction on an impeachment charge for conspiracy to solicit and accept a bribe. Hastings's removal was initially upheld by a federal court but ultimately reversed in a 1993 Supreme Court ruling dealing with a similar case in the impeachment and removal of federal judge Walter L. Nixon.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shepherd/2007/11/16/puffy-miami-herald-piece-omits-disgraced-sheriffs-party-label

Abbey Marie
11-17-2007, 11:09 AM
BINGO!!!!!!

I must be getting old. I need to you to keep straight Abbey

You don't need forgetful me for anything! :)

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:12 AM
You don't need forgetful me for anything! :)

OK

How about a little help when needed?

Immanuel
11-17-2007, 11:12 AM

;)

Hehe, now, I will never be able to say "never" again. When I do you can point me back to this one. :laugh2:

I'm glad you pointed it out, but, remember your percentage of threads is still something like 99.99% slanted against Republicans. Therefore, it doesn't exactly indicate that you are unbiased. :D

It looked like she added it, not the newspaper.

She did, but I believe it was because she was attempting to be honest. That is a good thing. I dont' think she was trying to make us think that the "Oh by the way shes a democrat" was in the article. It was her own commentary. She did the right thing by putting that in there.

Immie

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
;)

Hehe, now, I will never be able to say "never" again. When I do you can point me back to this one. :laugh2:

I'm glad you pointed it out, but, remember your percentage of threads is still something like 99.99% slanted against Republicans. Therefore, it doesn't exactly indicate that you are unbiased. :D

Immie

She tried to imply the article pointed out the offender was a Dem - it did not

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Immy I have done it in the past many times. Go ask all our old pals at the other sites.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Immy I have done it in the past many times. Go ask all our old pals at the other sites.

Were you sober at the time?

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 11:15 AM
;)

Immie

It's weird, somehow this morning it's like she has a personality, a sense of humor, can post links, and spelling is improving. I like it.

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 11:15 AM

Maybe you missed this post rsr?

Abbey Marie
11-17-2007, 11:19 AM
OK

How about a little help when needed?

You got it! :salute:

Immanuel
11-17-2007, 11:21 AM

It doesn't matter, I still love ya. :coffee:

I don't think so, RSR. I think this goes back to all the times she has been accused of being biased. I think she was throwing that comment in because she knew I would say something like "must be another Republican she's picking on" or "It is about time you pointed a finger at a Democrat".

I don't think this has changed her mind on Democrats as a whole, and this one instance should not, but she was pointing out that this time she was against a Democrat. Of course, I can't believe that ANYONE would defend those remarks.

In this instance, I say well done, TM.

Immie

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Maybe you missed this post rsr?

I saw it

It does not change the fact the reporter left out she was a Dem

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 11:35 AM

Then why did you say this rsr?

You are looking kind of dishonest here.

It's weird, somehow this morning it's like she has a personality, a sense of humor, can post links, and spelling is improving. I like it.

Nothing has changed about my style at all , ask Immy and he will tell you I have always had shitty skills in these areas.

hjmick
11-17-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't give a damn about the rest of the discussion, I was just excited to see TM taking a whack at someone other than Bush or a Republican. While it may have happened before, I believe this is the first time I've seen it! Reps to you TM.

:clap:

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=truthmatters;155571]Then why did you say this rsr?

YOU added she was a Dem - not the author of the article

Which is my point

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Then why did you say this rsr?

Nothing has changed about my style at all , ask Immy and he will tell you I have always had shitty skills in these areas.

Yet today, wow! look at all the kudos, something changed. Why you are multi-quoting so everyone can follow along. I even saw some humor, in red somewhere. Impressive.

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 11:40 AM
It doesn't matter, I still love ya. :coffee:

I don't think so, RSR. I think this goes back to all the times she has been accused of being biased. I think she was throwing that comment in because she knew I would say something like "must be another Republican she's picking on" or "It is about time you pointed a finger at a Democrat".

I don't think this has changed her mind on Democrats as a whole, and this one instance should not, but she was pointing out that this time she was against a Democrat. Of course, I can't believe that ANYONE would defend those remarks.

In this instance, I say well done, TM.

Immie

I acttually added that because I have posted things like this in the past and people accused me of mistaking it for a republican. I think it was toby who ranted all day that I accidently posted D corruption and thought it was a republican.I want to make it clear I knew what I was posting.

Immanuel
11-17-2007, 11:44 AM
ask Immy and he will tell you I have always had shitty skills in these areas.

She is absolutely right here!

She has. There was a thread here a while back about whether or not spelling and grammar matter. I said that I think it does and used her as an example.

Although, we do not agree politically, TM and I are online friends. I have mentioned her skills to her many times because I care. I think her lack of skills tend to cause her a lot of grief, not to mention respect on the boards.

And, I will continue to mention them to her. Because, I have always liked her and would like to see her do better. Besides, sometimes it is really difficult to make out what she is trying to say! :laugh2:

I want to make it clear I knew what I was posting.

That is what I said, and thought you were doing here. Again, kudos to you for recognizing it and not letting your point of view interfere in this case. I can tell you that if she were a Republican there are some conservatives on all our sites that would have ignored this article and prayed it got overlooked by the "D"s.

Immie

Abbey Marie
11-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I acttually added that because I have posted things like this in the past and people accused me of mistaking it for a republican. I think it was toby who ranted all day that I accidently posted D corruption and thought it was a republican.I want to make it clear I knew what I was posting.

By adding it to the end of the article, with no demarcating lines or use of quote marks, you made nothing clear. I couldn't tell if that sentence was in the article, or was your editorializing. Pages of confusion, all because you couldn't take 20 seconds to write clearly. Do you seee why grammar and punctuation count?

No1tovote4
11-17-2007, 11:46 AM

Shhh...

truthmatters
11-17-2007, 11:49 AM
If you look through the thread Damo you will see I addressed this when brought up.

red states rule
11-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Shhh...

Just adding a little balance to the thread

No1tovote4
11-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Just adding a little balance to the thread
LOL. Others were able to tell that I was being facetious there...