PDA

View Full Version : Ignoring The Good News In Iraq

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 08:50 AM
seems almost intentional, ya think?

http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=280108621532510

Progress, Progress And More Progress

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Friday, November 16, 2007 4:20 PM PT

Winning: News from Iraq gets better by the day, but the media have done their best to downplay the turnaround and congressional Democrats have basically pulled the covers over their heads and pretended it doesn't exist.

Related Topics: Iraq

There's an eery silence out there about what's going on in Iraq. It's almost as if the silence is, well, intentional. Here are just a few examples of what we're talking about, pulled from last week's developments:

• In Basra, Iraq's second-largest city, British Major Gen. Graham Binns said that attacks against British and American forces have plunged 90% since the start of September.

• Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki reported that terrorist attacks of all kinds are down almost 80% from last year's peak — thanks directly to the U.S. surge of 30,000 new troops.

• Amid growing signs that even Iraq extremists have tired of terrorism and killing, a Sunni religious group closed down the high-profile Muslim Scholars Association because of its ties to terrorists.

• U.S. Major Gen. James Simmons, speaking in Baghdad, said Iran's pledges to stop sending weapons and explosives into Iraq "appear to be holding up." Roadside bombs, the leading killer of U.S. troops, have plunged 52% since March, he added.

• Perhaps most touching, according to a report from Michael Yon, who deserves to be the first blogger to win a Pulitzer Prize, Muslims are asking Iraqi Christians to return to help build Iraq.

Iraqi Muslims recently crammed into St. John's Catholic church in Baghdad to attend a Christian service. According to Yon, "Muslims keep telling me to get it on the news. 'Tell the Christians to come home to their country Iraq.' "

• Finally, there's this from Douglas Halaspaska, a reporter on the Web site U.S. Cavalry ON Point: "I came to Ramadi expecting a war and what I found was a city that has grown from the carnage, and all its inhabitants — both Iraqi and American — healing. I was not expecting what I found in Iraq . . . it was better than all of that."

Again, all this has taken place just in recent days, weeks and months. The positive news has become simply overwhelming....

Gaffer
11-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Nothing there the media wants to report on. It shows success and good news. They can't bash Bush with things like that.

The media motto is...if you can't saying anything bad about Bush, don't say anything at all.

darin
11-18-2007, 10:34 PM
I put up about 8000 characters of good news in Iraq. :)

LiberalNation
11-18-2007, 10:35 PM
More like bad news sells.

Yurt
11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
More like bad news sells.

You're too young to be a cynic :)

Immanuel
11-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Well, Kathianne, I suppose I look at the "good news" coming out of Iraq and think it is probably just more BS coming from the White House. I'm thrilled that the body count has come down that is great news, but when reports come from someone (the Administration in this case) that you believe has not been honest with you in the past, you tend not to believe the latest either.

I'd be thrilled and gladly eat my hat if it ever turn out that we actually win this war, but let me put it this way, I'm not going to marinate it yet. Maybe when we win the War on Drugs I will begin to marinate it. Until then, I'm going to keep wearing it.

Immie