PDA

View Full Version : Shredded chicken enchiladas

Yurt
11-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Shredded chicken enchiladas

Ran out of oregano and had to borrow some from the lady next door, so she gets one too :)

Shredded chicken:

3-4 chicken breasts
enough chicken stock to cover in pot
cumin to taste
the infamous oregano 2 tsp
white pepper 1 tsp
paprika to taste
hickory salt-free seasoning 2 tsp
taco bell mild hot sauce, half bottle (yes, it is good)
enchilada sauce 2 tbs (las palmas for me)
one roasted, peeled, seeded jalepeno
2 uncut dried ancho chilies
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 large white onion, chopped

Put all ingrediants in sauce pot, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 20-25minutes, turn off heat, cover for 10 minutes.

Take chicken out, shred with fork ( I have a lovely wife who does this, so you'll have to figure it out because I apparently don't have the patience :) ) She said to say she uses two forks.

Strain broth into bowl, return to pot, return shredded chicken, turn up heat to almost boil, turn off heat, cover 5-8 minutes, depending on your taste

Strain most of broth, put in fresh cut onions, roasted green chilies, and 2 tbs enchilida sauce, stir in ingredients

Enchiladas:

I use Guerrero tortillas. Soft taco size flour.
Oil baking dish 12X9, spread with paper towel to even out
Chicken
enchilida sauce
sliced olives
mozzarella cheese, less than cheddar (close mexican cheese and I had some)
cheddar cheese

Wrap up, I like to smother with enchilada sauce, dust (love that word chefs use) with olives, cheddar cheese.

Bake 350 for 30-40 minutes

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 07:15 PM
That sounds delicious! I want your wife. ;)

Yurt
11-17-2007, 07:19 PM
That sounds delicious! I want your wife. ;)

me too :dance:

and whats funny is, she never had mexican food till she met me, LOOOL. on our first date I took her to some mexican joint in milton-freewater oregon and she had no idea what to order (Canadian). So she asked me to order and I ordered her fajitas. To this day, we still laugh over the look on her face when they brought the cast iron sizzling plate to our table...

Kathianne
11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
me too :dance:

and whats funny is, she never had mexican food till she met me, LOOOL. on our first date I took her to some mexican joint in milton-freewater oregon and she had no idea what to order (Canadian). So she asked me to order and I ordered her fajitas. To this day, we still laugh over the look on her face when they brought the cast iron sizzling plate to our table...

Oh, Frajiitas! Steak, chicken, shrimp all are good!

jackass
11-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Sounds real good! I am gonna have to try these! :cheers2:

Yurt
11-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Sounds real good! I am gonna have to try these! :cheers2:

how did they turn out?

diuretic
11-18-2007, 04:42 AM
I LOVE Mexican food - that sounds delicious!

truthmatters
11-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Its the food of the gods.

I can make the enchilada sause from scratch. Its easy. You take the dry chilies you always see hanging everywhere in in latino market and soak them. When they soft you put them in a blender with enough wate to make them liquid. You them strain out the seeds.Put your beautiful red mixture into a big pot and spice with garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Heat this up and in a small frying pan take oil and flour and make a rue. This means you brown the flour in the oil until its is brown and then you add the rue to the heated chili mix. Stir and watch it thicken. Best dam enchilada suase in the world. It what the real Mexicans make. I was taught this sause by a first generation Mexican over thirty years ago. Bless your heart my sweet Ramona!

jackass
11-18-2007, 02:05 PM
how did they turn out?

Havent tried them yet :)

diuretic
11-18-2007, 07:31 PM
And I'm bloody well looking at a ham sandwich :(