PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh And The US

Kathianne
11-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Once again our military leads the way in disasters. One wonders how, considering that we have broken them? While everyone else 'pledges' the Navy does something:

http://lawhawk.blogspot.com/2007/11/bangladesh-disaster-response.html

The Bangladesh Disaster Response

It's been two days since a devastating cyclone hit the low-lying country in South Asia. More than 2,200 (this report suggests 3,000) have been killed by the storm, and the devastation is widespread in one of the poorest countries in the world. Part of the reason for the poverty could be attributed to the fact that the region is hit so hard by storms that you can barely rebuild in time for the next storm to hit. Via the AP story, which provides the 2,200 figure:

"We have seen more bodies floating in the sea," fisherman Zakir Hossain from the country‘s southwest said, after reaching shore with two decomposing bodies he and other fishermen had found on their way.

Aid organizations said they feared food shortages and contaminated water could lead to widespread problems if people remain stranded.

However, property damage was massive. Many evacuees who returned home Saturday found their bamboo-and-straw huts flattened.

An estimated 2.7 million people were affected and 773,000 houses were damaged, according to the Ministry of Disaster Management. Roughly 250,000 cattle and poultry perished, and crops were destroyed along huge swaths of land.

Several countries pledged to help.

She said that the ships USS Essex and the USS Kearsage were en route to Bangladesh to help with relief operations, and that the U.S. would airlift 35 tons of non-food items such as plastic sheeting and hygiene kits.

The United Nations released $7 million, while the German government offered $731,000. The European Union released $2.2 million, and British officials said they would give $5 million.

As always, the US is on the vanguard of those leading the charge to provide humanitarian assistance. There is no better way to improve US image abroad than by these missions.

diuretic
11-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Heard the story in the car. Thanks Kathianne, saves me having to start a thread.

Kudos to the US for this speedy response to a bloody awful situation.

Sincerely

Me. :salute:

carbonbased
11-19-2007, 04:09 AM
Heard the story in the car. Thanks Kathianne, saves me having to start a thread.

Kudos to the US for this speedy response to a bloody awful situation.

Sincerely

Me. :salute:

:clap:

This is an al qaeda nightmare.