PDA

View Full Version : Quick snacks for kids

Classact
11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
I have a couple teenage boys and they always make lousy plans for friends to stop over to play video games... will they be here for dinner? This is an after school snack that I use to satisfy unexpected friends that drop by with hunger.

Instant pizza...

I always have on hand several different types of cheese and a jar of pizza or spaghetti sauce... but one day my kids got tired of the same ol snacks of hot dogs and tacos after school so I invented this snack...

It starts with a burrito sized flour tortilla... I have two methods... the oven method and the propane torch method according to how many I need to make...

With the oven method I heat the tortillas at "broil" on a cookie sheet until warm and then run a stick of butter over the surface to coat it... return for just seconds and then it is toasted... flip it and repeat on the other side...

Once that is complete I cover the toasted surface with pizza sauce and top with cheese(s) ham, sausage and peperoni and put back in the oven for about a minute or until the cheese bubbles... cut and serve on a wicker basket with paper towel... no dishes...

Propane torch method is really fast... I use a soldiering torch and heat, apply butter... toast and then cook the toppings in less than two minutes each snack.

Guernicaa
11-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I have a couple teenage boys and they always make lousy plans for friends to stop over to play video games... will they be here for dinner? This is an after school snack that I use to satisfy unexpected friends that drop by with hunger.

Instant pizza...

I always have on hand several different types of cheese and a jar of pizza or spaghetti sauce... but one day my kids got tired of the same ol snacks of hot dogs and tacos after school so I invented this snack...

It starts with a burrito sized flour tortilla... I have two methods... the oven method and the propane torch method according to how many I need to make...

With the oven method I heat the tortillas at "broil" on a cookie sheet until warm and then run a stick of butter over the surface to coat it... return for just seconds and then it is toasted... flip it and repeat on the other side...

Once that is complete I cover the toasted surface with pizza sauce and top with cheese(s) ham, sausage and peperoni and put back in the oven for about a minute or until the cheese bubbles... cut and serve on a wicker basket with paper towel... no dishes...

Propane torch method is really fast... I use a soldiering torch and heat, apply butter... toast and then cook the toppings in less than two minutes each snack.
Sounds good.

Have you considered Ramen Noodles?
They cost about 25 cents a package (sometimes cheaper) and taste better than the majority of quick-foods out there.

MtnBiker
11-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Cooking with a torch, I love it!

shattered
11-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Sounds good.

Have you considered Ramen Noodles?
They cost about 25 cents a package (sometimes cheaper) and taste better than the majority of quick-foods out there.

Why would you feed growing children worms in salt water if you don't have to? Blech.

Can use the same concept with english muffins, and a toaster.. Makes good, fast pizzas, just the right size for a snack.