PDA

View Full Version : Pressure mounts to pardon Border agents

82Marine89
11-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Top conservatives have joined ranking House leaders in their bid to pressure the president to pardon two jailed El Paso Border Patrol agents for the nonfatal shooting of a Mexican drug smuggler in 2005.

In a letter to be delivered tomorrow to the White House, 31 major conservative petitioners joined a campaign being led by Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican and presidential candidate, to ask President Bush to pardon Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean before Thanksgiving.

The letter comes on the heels of the arrest of admitted drug smuggler Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila on charges of trafficking marijuana while he was profiting from the federal-immunity deal as the star witness in the shooting case against the agents.

"History has proven that the mere words and deeds of a president can change the course of history and profoundly affect both the tone and direction of the nation"s moral character for generations to come," said the letter signed by 31 petitioners, mostly from Christian conservative groups and national security organizations.

"The impact of a president"s silence can have the same dramatic and devastating results. That is why we find your continued silence on the issue of a presidential pardon for Border Patrol agents Ramos and Compean of great concern," it said.

Ramos and Compean are serving 11 and 12 years respectively for the shooting incident, which occurred in February 2005. They have served nearly a year in solitary confinement, for their own protection because of the high profile of their case. The pair is scheduled to appeal their conviction on Dec. 3 before the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, in New Orleans.

The letter is one of more than a dozen attempts — including a petition signed by nearly 400,000 people across the nation — to reach the president. Mr. Hunter hand-delivered a similar letter to the president Friday.

Some of the first signatures on the long list are conservative stalwarts Paul Weyrich of the Free Congress Foundation, David Keene of the American Conservative Union and Morton Blackwell of the Conservative Leadership Institute. Others include former Reagan administration official Frank Gaffney of the Center for Security Policy and anti-feminist activist Phyllis Schlafly of the Eagle Forum.

The signers say they "find it unacceptable that some disillusioned Americans are being forced to conclude that the lives of Ramos and Compean are simply what the government has deemed an acceptable level of 'collateral damage' for a failed border security and national immigration policy."

Last week, U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton, whose office prosecuted the case against the Border Patrol agents, announced the arrest of Mr. Aldrete-Davila. He was arrested Thursday at the Zaragoza Bridge in El Paso, Texas, by agents with the Drug Enforcement Administration and of the Department of Homeland Security.

A grand jury indictment charged the Mexican national, who wore a bulletproof vest Friday for his arraignment, with conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute marijuana in September and October 2005, officials said.

Federal officials would not disclose details about Mr. Aldrete-Davila"s arrest, about how he entered the U.S. through a legal port of entry, or about his reason for attempting to cross the border.

MORE AT LINK (http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071118/NATION/111180068/1001)

eighballsidepocket
11-20-2007, 05:10 PM
I hope they are freed.

Otherwise, the P.C. thing has gone so over-balanced to the point of making the evil ones the good ones, and vice a versa.

Abbey Marie
11-20-2007, 05:11 PM
led by Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican and presidential candidate,

Once again, my guy comes through. DH '08!

actsnoblemartin
11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree, they should be pardoned, and then sue the pants off everyone!

Top conservatives have joined ranking House leaders in their bid to pressure the president to pardon two jailed El Paso Border Patrol agents for the nonfatal shooting of a Mexican drug smuggler in 2005.

In a letter to be delivered tomorrow to the White House, 31 major conservative petitioners joined a campaign being led by Rep. Duncan Hunter, California Republican and presidential candidate, to ask President Bush to pardon Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean before Thanksgiving.

The letter comes on the heels of the arrest of admitted drug smuggler Osvaldo Aldrete-Davila on charges of trafficking marijuana while he was profiting from the federal-immunity deal as the star witness in the shooting case against the agents.

"History has proven that the mere words and deeds of a president can change the course of history and profoundly affect both the tone and direction of the nation"s moral character for generations to come," said the letter signed by 31 petitioners, mostly from Christian conservative groups and national security organizations.

"The impact of a president"s silence can have the same dramatic and devastating results. That is why we find your continued silence on the issue of a presidential pardon for Border Patrol agents Ramos and Compean of great concern," it said.

Ramos and Compean are serving 11 and 12 years respectively for the shooting incident, which occurred in February 2005. They have served nearly a year in solitary confinement, for their own protection because of the high profile of their case. The pair is scheduled to appeal their conviction on Dec. 3 before the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals, in New Orleans.

The letter is one of more than a dozen attempts — including a petition signed by nearly 400,000 people across the nation — to reach the president. Mr. Hunter hand-delivered a similar letter to the president Friday.

Some of the first signatures on the long list are conservative stalwarts Paul Weyrich of the Free Congress Foundation, David Keene of the American Conservative Union and Morton Blackwell of the Conservative Leadership Institute. Others include former Reagan administration official Frank Gaffney of the Center for Security Policy and anti-feminist activist Phyllis Schlafly of the Eagle Forum.

The signers say they "find it unacceptable that some disillusioned Americans are being forced to conclude that the lives of Ramos and Compean are simply what the government has deemed an acceptable level of 'collateral damage' for a failed border security and national immigration policy."

Last week, U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton, whose office prosecuted the case against the Border Patrol agents, announced the arrest of Mr. Aldrete-Davila. He was arrested Thursday at the Zaragoza Bridge in El Paso, Texas, by agents with the Drug Enforcement Administration and of the Department of Homeland Security.

A grand jury indictment charged the Mexican national, who wore a bulletproof vest Friday for his arraignment, with conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute marijuana in September and October 2005, officials said.

Federal officials would not disclose details about Mr. Aldrete-Davila"s arrest, about how he entered the U.S. through a legal port of entry, or about his reason for attempting to cross the border.

MORE AT LINK (http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071118/NATION/111180068/1001)

Pale Rider
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
They need a federal investigation into bush's attack dog johnny sutten. Between globalist bush and johnny, "I'd rather help mexican drug smugglers than American Border Patrol," sutten, you have a pair of fucking traitors that should be tried and hung by their ball sack.

Pale Rider
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Once again, my guy comes through. DH '08!

Hunter/Tancredo.... Tancredo/Hunter.... either way, it's the Republican dream ticket.

82Marine89
11-20-2007, 07:43 PM
I want my government to tell me why these brave men are sentenced to 10 years in prison for allegations, but Arrelano-Felix gets six years and he was the head of a drug cartel which is responsible for the deaths of untold 100's of people.

It's time to take our country back.

JohnDoe
11-20-2007, 11:17 PM
I want my government to tell me why these brave men are sentenced to 10 years in prison for allegations, but Arrelano-Felix gets six years and he was the head of a drug cartel which is responsible for the deaths of untold 100's of people.

This just DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE? What the heck is going on here that WE don't know about that is preventing Bush from pardoning them? He pardoned a murderer today but not these border agents? It is almost as though the drug dealer was somehow working for the DEA.... for our justice system to give him all that he has been given....jimminee christmas!!!!

jd

Yurt
11-20-2007, 11:27 PM

How?

Bush has to go, ok. But who to replace? So far, Huckabee is close, however, he will never win.

So just how, do we take this country back? I am not sure elections are the only way.

Abbey Marie
11-20-2007, 11:59 PM
This just DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE? What the heck is going on here that WE don't know about that is preventing Bush from pardoning them? He pardoned a murderer today but not these border agents? It is almost as though the drug dealer was somehow working for the DEA.... for our justice system to give him all that he has been given....jimminee christmas!!!!

jd

Nothing that Bush has done about the border makes sense. It does seem like there something going on that would explain it all, and if we knew about it, it wouldn't be pretty.

gabosaurus
11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
So you want to pardon criminals now?
I will favor the pardon of the border agents at the same time all of you favor amnesty for illegal aliens.

gabosaurus
11-21-2007, 12:03 AM
So you want to pardon criminals now? These dudes belong in prison.
I will favor the pardon of the border agents at the same time all of you favor amnesty for illegal aliens.

Dilloduck
11-21-2007, 12:05 AM

A two for two trade off works for me !

Pale Rider
11-21-2007, 02:06 AM

That's kind of like wanting to buy seven tons of gold bullion for two cents isn't it?

The border agents were rail roaded. The illegal alien drug smuggler wasn't. He was given a way out on a silver platter by bush's attack dog johnny sutten. In return he was allowed to play our legal system like a cheap piano, and his thanks is smuggling another load of drugs into America. The piece of shit should just be shot.

Damn Gab... I'd have thought you'd be all over bush on this one.