PDA

View Full Version : Mi Casa, Sue Casa

stephanie
11-19-2007, 03:14 AM
me no understand..???

Nancy Pelosi tries to force the Salvation Army to hire people who can't speak English.

Monday, November 19, 2007 12:01 a.m. EST

It's been less than a week since New York's Sen. Hillary Clinton and Gov. Eliot Spitzer had to climb down from their support of driver's licenses for illegal aliens. Now House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has moved to kill an amendment that would protect employers from federal lawsuits for requiring their workers to speak English. Among the employers targeted by such lawsuits: the Salvation Army.

Sen. Lamar Alexander, a moderate Republican from Tennessee, is dumbstruck that legislation he views as simple common sense would be blocked. He noted that the full Senate passed his amendment to shield the Salvation Army by 75-19 last month, and the House followed suit with a 218-186 vote just this month. "I cannot imagine that the framers of the 1964 Civil Rights Act intended to say that it's discrimination for a shoe shop owner to say to his or her employee, 'I want you to be able to speak America's common language on the job,' " he told the Senate last Thursday.

But that's exactly what the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is trying to do. In March the EEOC sued the Salvation Army because its thrift store in Framingham, Mass., required its employees to speak English on the job. The requirement was clearly posted and employees were given a year to learn the language. The EEOC claimed the store had fired two Hispanic employees for continuing to speak Spanish on the job. It said that the firings violated the law because the English-only policy was not "relevant" to job performance or safety.

"If it is not relevant, it is discriminatory, it is gratuitous, it is a subterfuge to discriminate against people based on national origin," says Rep. Charles Gonzalez of Texas, one of several Hispanic Democrats in the House who threatened to block Ms. Pelosi's attempts to curtail the Alternative Minimum Tax unless she killed the Alexander amendment.
The confrontation on the night of Nov. 8 was ugly. Members of the Hispanic Caucus initially voted against the rule allowing debate on a tax bill that included the AMT "patch," which for a year would protect some 23 million Americans from being kicked into a higher income tax bracket.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110010881

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Pelosi would rather see this country fall down around her, than sacrifice one potential illegal's vote.

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 11:34 AM
More radical right wing thoughts intended for people who are unable to think for themselves.

jimnyc
11-19-2007, 11:35 AM
More radical right wing thoughts intended for people who are unable to think for themselves.

Expecting people to communicate properly and effectively is radical?

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I expect people to post their own thoughts occasionally. If I want to read extreme right wing propaganda, I know where to find it.

jimnyc
11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I expect people to post their own thoughts occasionally. If I want to read extreme right wing propaganda, I know where to find it.

The article is right there, as is Pelosi's stance. What part is propaganda? Do you defend her trying to kill a bill trying to protect employers from wanting their employees to communicate in an effective manner in the US? You think people should be able to be sue happy because they refuse to learn to speak English?

MtnBiker
11-19-2007, 12:01 PM
To her, making someone speak english is racial and radical and has no part in the USA.

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
If you are going to hire workers who don't speak English, how are you going to require them to communicate in English?
You need to understand the entire situation, and not just do a knee jerk reaction to the bill itself. This story is just a typical right wing reaction to one part of a complicated situation.

jimnyc
11-19-2007, 12:03 PM
If you are going to hire workers who don't speak English, how are you going to require them to communicate in English?
You need to understand the entire situation, and not just do a knee jerk reaction to the bill itself. This story is just a typical right wing reaction to one part of a complicated situation.

Because they gave them a year to learn English, that's how! Now they want to pass a bill to protect employers from frivolous lawsuits against companies who require employees to speak English, and she wants to kill it.

MtnBiker
11-19-2007, 12:04 PM

Make english the offical language of the US, other countries have offical languages are they racial?

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I guess the lesson for the Salvation Army to learn from this is, don't even hire people who can't or won't likely speak English. I doubt this is the outcome Pelosi and other Dems would want.

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
The solution is -- don't hire workers who don't speak English. Employers refuse to do this because they know they hire non-English speakers for cheaper wages.
If you are hiring workers who don't speak English, then I have no sympathy for you. You deserve any misfortunes that eventually happen to you.

MtnBiker
11-19-2007, 12:11 PM
The solution is -- don't hire workers who don't speak English. Employers refuse to do this because they know they hire non-English speakers for cheaper wages.
If you are hiring workers who don't speak English, then I have no sympathy for you. You deserve any misfortunes that eventually happen to you.

So what you are saying is you want people who do not speak english to be unemployed, rather than they make the effort to learn english.

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 12:40 PM
If you live in an English-speaking country, you need to learn English. If you can't speak English, find a job where everyone speaks Spanish. There are a lot of them.
If you are an employer who hires Spanish-speaking people, don't expect them to learn English. Hire those who speak English.

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Makes sense, but if you don't hire Spanish-speaking people, you may eventually be sued for discrimination.

MtnBiker
11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
If you live in an English-speaking country, you need to learn English. If you can't speak English, find a job where everyone speaks Spanish. There are a lot of them.

That may not be true in all parts of the country.

Trigg
11-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Makes sense, but if you don't hire Spanish-speaking people, you may eventually be sued for discrimination.

Since people who speak spanish can be a rainbow of different colors, I don't see how discrimination would come into it.

I agree with whoever said the US needs to have an official language.

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 01:30 PM
Since people who speak spanish can be a rainbow of different colors, I don't see how discrimination would come into it.

I agree with whoever said the US needs to have an official language.

Non-Hispanic people who happen to speak Spanish will probably also speak English. It is the Spanish-only speaking people who would be likely to cry discrimination, and would claim that underneath, it is really anti-Hispanic bias. This is not a new phenomenon.

Guernicaa
11-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Well we know you wont be speaking spanish anytime soon stephanie.

Theres no "e" at the end of su.

stephanie
11-19-2007, 04:15 PM

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/AB-MB-24482.jpg

theHawk
11-19-2007, 05:10 PM

It was a pun you moron.