PDA

View Full Version : I just lost money on my car insurance (if I had a gone) with Geico

darin
11-19-2007, 12:30 PM
Wow. Got an online quote. Nearly DOUBLE for the same coverage. $906/6 months vs the ~$550 I pay now with USAA.

34, Married, one at-fault wreck 3 years ago ($6000 claim), no tickets. 2002 F150, 2004 RX8.

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 12:42 PM
What did you expect? They have to make up all they money they pay the Gecko and Caveman somewhere.

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow. Got an online quote. Nearly DOUBLE for the same coverage. $906/6 months vs the ~$550 I pay now with USAA.

34, Married, one at-fault wreck 3 years ago ($6000 claim), no tickets. 2002 F150, 2004 RX8.

Not sure what USAA is. Is it gov't sponsored?

jimnyc
11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
If I see that "You could have saved 15% or more..." damn commercial just one more time, I'm going out on vacation and gonna kill every lizard I see.

gabosaurus
11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
If I see that "You could have saved 15% or more..." damn commercial just one more time, I'm going out on vacation and gonna kill every lizard I see.

Is this before or after they invite you to the palace for filet mignon? :lmao:

darin
11-19-2007, 12:52 PM

No - it's a private company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAA

United Services Automobile Association (USAA) is a Fortune 200 financial services company focused on providing banking, investing, and insurance to people and families that serve, or served, in the military of the United States and other selected federal agencies.

USAA was founded in 1922 by a group of U.S. Army officers to self-insure each other when they were unable to secure auto insurance due to the perception that they were a high-risk group.[2] USAA has since expanded to serve officers, NCOs, enlisted, and their families a full range of property & casualty insurance, banking, life insurance, investment and financial planning products and services. USAA was one of the pioneers of direct marketing and most of its business is conducted over the Internet or telephone.

Lines of business

Property, casualty, and life insurance

USAA offers a wide range of personal property and casualty (P&C) insurance including automobile insurance, homeowner insurance, renters insurance, and valuable personal property insurance.

In addition to P&C insurance, USAA provides whole life insurance, term life insurance, and annuities. USAA's life insurance policies, while not completely unique in the industry, are different than most offerings since they do not include a war-exclusion clause[1] (also known as a "war clause").

Unlike most of its competitors, USAA does not sell or provide service for its insurance and other products through agents. Instead, policies are sold and serviced on-line via the Internet or directly by USAA employees over the telephone. These employees are licensed representatives that are paid a salary rather than a commission.

Banking

Banking services and credit cards are provided by the USAA Federal Savings Bank. The bank was established in the early 1980s. According to the FDIC, as of June 2006, the bank held $20 billion in deposits with over 2.5 million accounts. The bank has one location in San Antonio, TX. Since relatively few members live in San Antonio, the bank provides remote deposit from home using a common computer scanner via the Internet using USAA Deposit@Home[2], ATM fee rebates, free standard checks for the life of the account, free online bill pay, and bank-by-mail services. USAA was one of the few major banks to begin offering American Express cards in 2006 in addition to their traditional offerings of Mastercards and Visas [3].

For many years, while USAA did not market to anyone outside its niche, they would open bank accounts for qualified customers requesting USAA's services. In July 2006 USAA chose to further focus on its target market and will only extend new banking services to people eligible to purchase P&C insurance from USAA. They continue to make an exception for residents of Bexar County (San Antonio, TX) and those people that already have a banking relationship with USAA.

Investing and financial planning

USAA provides a discount brokerage service and a family of no-load mutual funds. Mutual funds established by other companies can also be purchased and held in USAA investing accounts. USAA also offers limited free Financial Planning advice, as well as, a more thorough flat-fee or hourly-rate financial planning service.

:D

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks. Our neighbor sells inurance and is pushing some weird company on us. We have Geico now, lol.

Sitarro
11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
No - it's a private company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAA

:D

USAA is a great company, I've been covered by them for years. Their headquarters are in San Antonio and Colorado Springs. Huge complexes.

My Dad was with them most of his life and got me into the coverage.

Pale Rider
11-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I've had American Family Insurance for going on twenty five years. They're the cheapest I can find. Not for my Harley though. They don't consider that a "motor vehicle." It's a toy to them, and I don't get a multiple vehicle discount or a good rate. I have Foremost for that, which a motorcycle insurance company sponsored by Harley Davidson.

But I'd recommend American Family to anyone. At least check out their rates. It may be cheaper than what you have. (If it's more than what you're paying, let me know what you have.)

Abbey Marie
11-19-2007, 01:35 PM
Rates are very important, but I would like also like to know how fairly and speedily a company settles claims. For example, I have heard that All-State is the most common defendant in suits to appeal refusal to pay benefits.

glockmail
11-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Geico cherry-picks as well. They refused me about 20? years ago and I've been with Nationwide ever since, for cars, home, office, umbrella, you name it. They even cover me for identity theft.

Pale Rider
11-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Rates are very important, but I would like also like to know how fairly and speedily a company settles claims. For example, I have heard that All-State is the most common defendant in suits to appeal refusal to pay benefits.

I had a friend in down in Phoenix when I lived there that had State Farm. He had a little fender bender, and it was like pulling teeth to get State Farm to pay up. He complained over and over about it, and I don't know if he ever did get any money out of them. I checked into them long ago back in Wisconsin, and they were quite a bit more expensive than American Family.

5stringJeff
11-19-2007, 03:39 PM
USAA iz teh r0x0rz!!!1!1!!uno!!1

Joan
11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I have Allstate, and if my father knew this, he would be rolling in his grave. He was an insurance agent, and always told us NEVER use Allstate! I don't know what possessed me to go with them, but I did. Back in 2001 I had a chargeable accident (daydreaming on my way to work), and smashed into an SUV. My car had plenty of damage, but the SUV had a little scratch on it. I though sure as hell my next renewal would go through the roof. I was pleasantly surprised when the new policy arrived showing 1 chargeable accident with the word fogiven under it!

mrg666
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
don't you have brokers over there that shop around for you every year ?

Sitarro
11-19-2007, 06:38 PM

USAA is a huge insurer of military personnel and their dependents. They try to keep expenses down as much as possible so they can provide the best coverage for the best price. I usually get a refund check back from them every year.

This site tells about the company and how they got started in 1922.

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=about_usaa_main