PDA

View Full Version : *For The Money What's The Best Digital Camera?*

chesswarsnow
11-20-2007, 07:03 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Me wife wants a New Camera, and I wonder if anyone can refer me a good one?
2. Thanks.:coffee:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

mrg666
11-20-2007, 07:34 AM
i'd say go fuji digital very user friendly decent price mine was broken,
so i got a samsung last year and it's got loads of differant settings , ive still not read the manual.

darin
11-20-2007, 08:38 AM
I use, quite frequently, a Samsung r3T-4rd.

Hagbard Celine
11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Do you want a little compact point and click or some kinda pro rig? If you want a point and click, I got a Canon ELPH. It's been great. I got the one with a view-finder so that when I'm out and about and my battery power happens to get low I can turn off the lcd and still take pictures. It also has a really convenient and compact charger for the battery, which I liked.

chesswarsnow
11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Sounds cool HC.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Guernicaa
11-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry bout that,

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
I started a thread like this back in the summer because I needed just what your asking for.

The best consensus that I came to with all of the people on here who know a lot about cameras was the Canon PowerShot A630.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=183&modelid=14108

Highly recommend it. For the money, its amazing.

Pale Rider
11-21-2007, 06:10 PM
If I was to buy a new digital camera "right now," this would be it. I think it's the most bang for the buck... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND40/ND40A.HTM

hjmick
11-21-2007, 08:18 PM
If I was to buy a new digital camera "right now," this would be it. I think it's the most bang for the buck... http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ND40/ND40A.HTM

I'm considering the new Canon 40D. All the reviews have been glowing.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E40D/E40DA.HTM

darin
11-21-2007, 08:39 PM
This looks like a good camera for those just getting into DSLRs:

http://www.bootdaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=869&Itemid=51

mrg666
11-21-2007, 08:54 PM
i got my new nokia n95 (cell phone ) yesterday the camera and video features are awesome ,5 Megapixel camera , Carl Zeiss lens ,20x zoom .
8 gig internal and 8 gig external memory = 16 gig you can literally record and put onto dvd and have excellant quailty video and photos .

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/nokia_n95/detail/pay_monthly?WT.mc_id=ConMarGoMob_1059&WT.srch=1&cd_source=Automedon

Jon
11-21-2007, 10:41 PM

If you want the best bang for the buck in digital SLRs, look no further than the Pentax K10D/Samsung GX-10. Makes that D40 look like the child's toy that it is.

;)

Jon
11-21-2007, 10:46 PM

The 40D is a fine camera. If I didn't already own a bunch of Canon lenses and accesories, I might look to the new Nikon D300, or the Pentax/Samsung I mentioned earlier.

The Pentax/Samsung is $500+ less than the 40D and the D300 is $500+ more.

If the D300 ends up being all that it is purported to be on paper, it is sure to be quite a step up from a 40D. Canon has some real competion now. I can't wait to see what they come up with in response.

Jon
11-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Sorry bout that,

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Depends on the intended use and budget.

Pale Rider
11-22-2007, 05:32 AM

In a side by side comparison, the Nikon, at less then HALF the price of the Canon, blows the Canon away for bang for the buck.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMDB/compare_results.php?sections%5B%5D=1319&sections%5B%5D=1143&submit=Compare

Pale Rider
11-22-2007, 05:36 AM
If you want the best bang for the buck in digital SLRs, look no further than the Pentax K10D/Samsung GX-10. Makes that D40 look like the child's toy that it is.
;)

I think it looks pretty good stack up in a side by side comparison with the Canon 40D, especially at less than half the price. :dunno:

darin
11-22-2007, 11:46 AM
In a side by side comparison, the Nikon, at less then HALF the price of the Canon, blows the Canon away for bang for the buck.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/CAMDB/compare_results.php?sections%5B%5D=1319&sections%5B%5D=1143&submit=Compare

The canon takes pictures faster - twice as fast, can burst twice as many shots, downloads images faster, and has better low-light capability. How is that getting blown-away?

I don't buy a camera because it has a built-in espresso machine - I buy cameras whose number one job is to help me get the photo I want to take; or to allow me the broadest range for photography and best chance of producing what I'm looking for. Bells and Whistles just make noise.

Sitarro
11-22-2007, 01:07 PM
If you are shooting in RAW, the glass is all that really matters. ..... unless you shoot sports, then you must buy a Canon, the official camera of the NFL....... I wonder how much that cost them. How many cameras and lens kits did they give away for that distinction. Whatever they have spent, it was worth it, they have a whole generation that thinks Canon is the only digital camera to buy.

I picked up a Canon 30D the other day and was quite surprised. It felt awful in my hands, cheap switches and poor layout. I am amazed that someone could pick up a Nikon, then pick up that thing and decide to purchase the Canon...... unless they are paid to use it, why would they?

Jon
11-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I think it looks pretty good stack up in a side by side comparison with the Canon 40D, especially at less than half the price. :dunno:

You're getting ~1/2 the camera for 1/2 the price. How is that a surprise?

Look at the link you provided.

The Canon captures 10 megapixel at 14 bit depth. The Nikon captures 6 megapixel at 12 bit depth. The extra 2 bits make for wider dynamic range, smoother tonality, etc. The viewfinder on the Canon is larger and is easier to look through (0.95X vs. .8x and 22mm vs 18mm eyepoint). The Canon has 9 cross type AF sensors vs. the 1 cross type and 2 linear AF sensors in the Nikon. Cross type are sensitive to focus in both horizontal and vertical directions. Linear sensors are sensitive in one or the other.

For now, I'll ignore the myriad of other functions that the Canon offers over the Nikon.

To be fair, the Nikon D40 is more of a competitor to Canon's 350D, not the 40D. The Nikon D80 or whatever Nikon introduces next in this category will be more of a direct competitor to the Canon 40D.

For a few hundred more than the toy-like D40, you can get the Pentax/Samsung, which offers 10mp, sensor based image stabilization, sensor shake dust removal, 9 cross type + 2 linear AF sensors, etc, etc, etc. In many ways, the Pen/Sam has a nicer feature set than the Canon 40D.

That is why it is the best bang for the buck out there right now.

If you meant that the D40 is the *cheapest* dSLR out there, you'd be wrong there as well. The Canon 350D/XT is about the same price and offers a mostly better feature set. IIRC, Olympus and Pentax have low end offerings in this range as well (E410/510 and K100d).

chesswarsnow
11-22-2007, 10:44 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Lets have a look at the Pentax/Samsung unit.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

mrg666
11-22-2007, 10:52 PM
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/reviews/samsung/samsung_digimax_a6.php

above middle of the road good price

Jon
11-23-2007, 01:40 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Lets have a look at the Pentax/Samsung unit.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

<iframe src="http://www.bootdaily.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=869&Itemid=51" width=100% height=800 ></iframe>

Sitarro
11-23-2007, 02:54 AM
(samsung review)

Interesting article, seems like a great camera for the money. Have you seen anything on the Pentax model?

My first camera was an old k500 Pentax. Shot a lot of slide film with that camera, it was a tank that took a lot of abuse until a former girlfriend let her boyfriend drop it out of a canoe in a drunken stupor.... jerk.

It was called the K500 because it's fastest shutter speed was 500th of a second! I got it in a trade for a 1966 Triumph Spitfire along with a ten speed and a pound of pot......:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: The Spitfire, to be fair, wasn't running at the time and was basically a pile of crap so I think I came out ahead on the trade.

I did buy a Pentax ME Super years later and never could get a decent shot out of it so I sold it and picked up a Nikon FE. The guy that bought it was happy so it was probably me that was the problem.

The only other Pentax I have used is the 6x7, takes beautiful shots but was a lousy design. The later models redesigned the problem areas and I've read that it's a better camera but at over 3 pounds is really a pain to use.

How's that for screwing up a thread?:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: Must be ADD kicking in.

chesswarsnow
11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Seems some of you have presented some rather good arguements.
2. Now show me pics of why I should believe it.
3. Post your best shot!
4. This should be fun.
5. Post three pictures, with a picture of your camera. being 4 pics.
6. Thanks everyone who does in advance!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Jon
11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Seems some of you have presented some rather good arguements.
2. Now show me pics of why I should believe it.
3. Post your best shot!
4. This should be fun.
5. Post three pictures, with a picture of your camera. being 4 pics.
6. Thanks everyone who does in advance!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. Some of us have presented some rather good arguements.
2. Showing you pics would not prove anything other than how good each of us is behind the camera.
3. So there is no reason to post our best shots.
4. Sorry for ruining your fun.
5. Good pictures can be taken with any camera.
6. Thanks for understanding.

Regards,
SirJonOfWA

chesswarsnow
11-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Okay Jon's out.
2. Who wants to prove their point???
3. WOW me!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

darin
11-23-2007, 06:40 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Okay Jon's out.
2. Who wants to prove their point???
3. WOW me!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

The only point to prove is Jon's.

Think of it like this: Pots and Pans and Chefs. I could tell you x-brand pans work best, Jon could like y-brand pans. Yet both of us could present you with a meal you'd love.

What is there to prove? You need to decide what your photographic goals are, research features, and pick the one you want.

Kathianne
11-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry bout that,

2. Showing you pics would not prove anything other than how good each of us is behind the camera.

Regards,
SirJonOfWA

I have to agree with you. Seems his 'pic off' is more to the photographer than the camera. I could have a $2000 camera and not get a shot like you would with a 9.99 disposable. :hatsoff:

chesswarsnow
11-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

Regards,
SirJonOfWA

1. So Jon, you are saying you own the Samsung, GX-10?
2. DMP owns the Canon 20D, right?
3. I have seen both of your pics, here on DP.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
11-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Sorry bout that,

I have to agree with you. Seems his 'pic off' is more to the photographer than the camera. I could have a $2000 camera and not get a shot like you would with a 9.99 disposable. :hatsoff:

1. You make a lot of sense, but why not humor me?
2. Pic~off sounds quite Footballish, nice word play there.
3. Common guys everybody post your best, and a actual pic of your machine.
4. Then I can decide.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Jon
11-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. So Jon, you are saying you own the Samsung, GX-10?
2. DMP owns the Canon 20D, right?
3. I have seen both of your pics, here on DP.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. I own a 40D and have shot with the 20D, GX-10, 350D, and others.
2. DMP owns a 20D.
3. You may have seen shots from either of us that were taken with the 20D, 40D, GX-10, A75, S2IS, and scanned film.
4. If you give me your intended use and a budget, I can point you in the right direction.
5. Extra bonus points if you can do so without using your normal posting form.

Regards,
SirJonOfWA

darin
11-23-2007, 09:48 PM
...and sometimes, the 20D pwns me. :(

:-/

chesswarsnow
11-23-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But you know me by now.
2. I'm a machine when posting.
3. My budget is whatever I want to spend, within reason.
4. I like good stuff, and am willing to pay more for it.
5. I like a lot of your pics, of Mt. Rainer.
6. The deer, and the tiger were great as well.
7. Do you know where I can get a 40D Canon for a good price?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

...and sometimes, the 20D pwns me. :(

:-/

1. I've seen some of your pictures, very good I must say, better than rank amateur.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Jon
11-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But you know me by now.
2. I'm a machine when posting.
3. My budget is whatever I want to spend, within reason.
4. I like good stuff, and am willing to pay more for it.
5. I like a lot of your pics, of Mt. Rainer.
6. The deer, and the tiger were great as well.
7. Do you know where I can get a 40D Canon for a good price?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. It has only been out for a month or so.
2. I'd stick with a reputable online dealer like www.bhphotovideo.com .
3. If you're only going to use it as a point and shoot (in Auto mode), you might be happier with an actual point and shoot camera.
4. It takes practice and dedication to get the best results from any dSLR.
5. No bonus points for you.
6. Thanks for the compliments on the photos.

Regards,
SirJonOfWA

chesswarsnow
11-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Thanks everyone who posted in this thread.
2. I got a look at a Rebel Canon, XTI i think it was at Wal-Mart, seemed like a very nice camera.
3. It sold for 589.00 new, with a 55-85 lens on it.
4. Seemed very cool, but wife wants a point and shoot.
5. May have to get her some little silver unit, from canon or something.
6. Then get myself a real Camera, the Cannon 40D or 20D or XTI Rebel.
7. Thanks so much for all your input.:clap:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Jon
11-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Thanks everyone who posted in this thread.
2. I got a look at a Rebel Canon, XTI i think it was at Wal-Mart, seemed like a very nice camera.
3. It sold for 589.00 new, with a 55-85 lens on it.
4. Seemed very cool, but wife wants a point and shoot.
5. May have to get her some little silver unit, from canon or something.
6. Then get myself a real Camera, the Cannon 40D or 20D or XTI Rebel.
7. Thanks so much for all your input.:clap:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

1. You're welcome.
2. It was very likely a Rebel XT with an 18-55 lens.
3. That sells for about $100 cheaper at www.bhphotovideo.com
4. Figured a point and shoot might be what you were looking for.
5. Canons are very nice, as are Nikons and a few others. Off the top of my head, I'd look for any of the Powershot or SD series cameras with IS.
6. Once you feel you're being held back by the point and shoot, get the 'real' camera.
7. You're welcome.

Regards,
SirJonofWA

chesswarsnow
11-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But I bought a Sony, Super Cyber Shot, DSC-T70.
2. Me wife really loves it.
3. I think its pretty cool for a pocket camera.
4. Its a 10meg, with this cool feature that you can set it to, when somebody smiles its takes the pic.
5. Works real good.
6. I got a lot to learn, it also has a touch screen like the iPhone, well sort of.
7. Large screen, for a small camera, 2.6 make viewing it great.
8. Flash works great, with a 3x zoom.
9. I bought a 2 gh card for it.
10. Anyway, she loves it, I will have to figure it out and train her, won't be too hard.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

manu1959
11-27-2007, 09:33 PM
i love my nikon D70......i also have a nikon D200 which is pretty slick....my old fully manual nikon from 83 still takes the best pics though

Sitarro
11-27-2007, 09:46 PM
i love my nikon D70......i also have a nikon D200 which is pretty slick....my old fully manual nikon from 83 still takes the best pics though

An FM? I have an FE from that time period and after thousands of shots the winder feels like a million bucks....... well, at least a thousand bucks..... hehe..... so well built. My FE's black body is worn down to the brass where my hands held it, I love that. My brother just bought a D300, that little shit, he's gonna let me play with it when we shoot his boss's daughter's wedding. He shoots video while I do the stills.

What film did you like with your Nikon? I got to where all I ever used was Fuji Provia and Velvia. Luscious color saturation.

manu1959
11-27-2007, 10:45 PM
An FM? I have an FE from that time period and after thousands of shots the winder feels like a million bucks....... well, at least a thousand bucks..... hehe..... so well built. My FE's black body is worn down to the brass where my hands held it, I love that. My brother just bought a D300, that little shit, he's gonna let me play with it when we shoot his boss's daughter's wedding. He shoots video while I do the stills.

What film did you like with your Nikon? I got to where all I ever used was Fuji Provia and Velvia. Luscious color saturation.

it is an FM....and all i used was fuji ..... all slide......every so often i will pull out a few and have some prints made......

Sitarro
11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
it is an FM....and all i used was fuji ..... all slide......every so often i will pull out a few and have some prints made......

I remember the FM well, almost got one. I ended up with the FE because it would shoot auto or manual. I ordered it, the motor drive(which I never used) and a 24mm Nikkor from 47th Street Photo..... still have them all 24 years later and it works like it did when I got it out of the box. That lens is also a fine piece of gl ass. hehe
It's amazing how much more stressful shooting photos was back then. I remember shooting a wedding for a friend and got gray hair waiting for the processing to see if I had got anything. I too shot mostly transparencies..... I have a carousel projector that I just bought a new bulb for. It was funny how you could get the E-6 processed stuff done locally but if you shot Kodachrome it went out to a Kodak lab.......I did like Kodachrome but shot a lot of Ektachrome 200 back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXZTBu_3ioI&feature=related:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

manu1959
11-27-2007, 11:57 PM
I remember the FM well, almost got one. I ended up with the FE because it would shoot auto or manual. I ordered it, the motor drive(which I never used) and a 24mm Nikkor from 47th Street Photo..... still have them all 24 years later and it works like it did when I got it out of the box. That lens is also a fine piece of gl ass. hehe
It's amazing how much more stressful shooting photos was back then. I remember shooting a wedding for a friend and got gray hair waiting for the processing to see if I had got anything. I too shot mostly transparencies..... I have a carousel projector that I just bought a new bulb for. It was funny how you could get the E-6 processed stuff done locally but if you shot Kodachrome it went out to a Kodak lab.......I did like Kodachrome but shot a lot of Ektachrome 200 back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXZTBu_3ioI&feature=related:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

i have three nikon lens from the day......amazing optics