PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf

dan
11-20-2007, 11:52 AM
Saw this in 3D yesterday afternoon. First of all, if you're going to see it, see it in 3D, that's clearly how they want it to be seen (lots of stuff flying at the camera and that sort of thing). It costs a little more (for me, it was $11.25 for a matinee!!!), but it's definitely the best way to see it. Except for IMAX, obviously.

So, a lot of the effects are pretty cool. Sometimes, the humans looked more like cartoons than humans, but what are you going to do, the technology just isn't far enough along for that yet. The action sequences were outstanding, the character design for Grendel was amazing, and Angelina Jolie was hot and naked (and not a real person, but hey whatever).

However, when there wasn't any action going on, the film slowed down to practically a crawl. The movie's only two hours, though, and I'd say probably 3/4 of that is balls-to-the-wall action, so I can't complain too much.

Note to parents: DO NOT let the little ones see this. There is no reason whatsoever that this should be rated PG-13, I'm assuming the only reason it got that was because they could hide behind the "it's not real!" card, but I mean, it's about as close to real as it gets, and some of the action is very, very violent. I'm not saying it's going to disturb you or anything, but if this were done live-action, it would most definitely earn an R rating, borderline NC-17. Also, there's lots of bare boobies and butts, so Jim you might want to check this one out.:laugh2: