PDA

View Full Version : Choosing sex of gynaecologist to be banned

stephanie
02-10-2007, 07:32 PM
:uhoh: Yepper...Just gotta love that Socialized medicine...:cow:

Published: 27th January 2007 17:27 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/6222/

Women in southern Sweden will in the future not be able to choose the sex of their gynaecologist. Allowing them to choose discriminates against male gynaecologists, it has been ruled.

The new practice has been introduced by clinics in the counties of Skåne, Halland, Blekinge and Kronoberg. Gynaecological patients in those areas will now be assigned a doctor of either sex, Helsingborgs Dagblad reports.

Exceptions will be made in some cases, such as for women who come from parts of the world with 'patriarchal traditions' or for the victims of sexual assaults, the paper reported. These women could insist on a female gynaecologist.

Women with less specific reasons for wanting a female gynaecologists may be turned down.

The changes have been brought in because many male gynaecologists have felt discriminated against.

Claes Lindoff, head of female healthcare at Helsingborg Hospital, said that the problem existed all over the country, but admitted that it only applied to "a hundred cases a year of our 15,000 visits."

Allowing women to refuse treatment by male gynaecologists also causes problems for clinics, for instance when there are no female gynaecologists on duty at the time or when a man on duty is better qualified than a female colleague.

jimnyc
02-10-2007, 07:43 PM
I would love to be a gynecologist, but only if I could limit who my patients are. You know, no more than 150lbs, can only come in for normal checkups, no weird thingies growing, and they must be hot! :)

stephanie
02-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I would love to be a gynecologist, but only if I could limit who my patients are. You know, no more than 150lbs, can only come in for normal checkups, no weird thingies growing, and they must be hot! :)

:eek: :lol:

Mr. P
02-10-2007, 08:06 PM

Seen one, ya seen em all. :D

shattered
02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
They're a necessary evil...but why the hell would someone <i>choose</i> that as a profession.. Yuck.

stephanie
02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
They're a necessary evil...but why the hell would someone <i>choose</i> that as a profession.. Yuck.

The one profession I cant believe someone would chose..............

Proctologist...

:fart:

:eek:

jillian
02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
The one profession I cant believe someone would chose..............

Proctologist...

:fart:

:eek:

Heh! I think I'm with ya there, Steffie!

Gynocologist, I understand... you wanna help women; you want to deliver babies; you want to deal with fertility issues... that makes sense to me. Proctologist... blech!

Mr. P
02-10-2007, 08:56 PM
If I were a woman, I’d never go to a male OBGYN.

Gaffer
02-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Once again the muslims get special treatment.

jillian
02-10-2007, 09:58 PM
If I were a woman, I’d never go to a male OBGYN.

I don't. I figure if I'm going to explain something to a doctor, I want him/her to know what I'm talking about... and not just theoretically.

stephanie
02-10-2007, 10:05 PM
My last one was a MAN...
Cracked me up the first time I saw him..
He looked like Woody Allen...:eek:

Great guy, loved him as a doctor, delivered my second son..
Sadly, he's retired now...

Mr. P
02-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I don't. I figure if I'm going to explain something to a doctor, I want him/her to know what I'm talking about... and not just theoretically.

Oh you can tell me anything, as long as I get to look and touch, I'm a hands on kinda guy. :laugh2:

Hobbit
02-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I guess it's a calling. I mean, right now (well, maybe not RIGHT now, since it's the middle of the night), some guy is cutting up Anna Nicole Smith's body because he likes slicing up corpses to see what killed them. Somewhere on this planet, somebody is working for peanuts digging through hyena scat to try to determine their dietary habits, because he wants to. Some people just have wierd jobs, and they like them. I mean, do you know how long you have to go to school to be able to garner anything useful from hyena scat?

"Some people juggle geese..."
-If you know who said that, you win!

Gaffer
02-11-2007, 12:30 AM
My last one was a MAN...
Cracked me up the first time I saw him..
He looked like Woody Allen...:eek:

Great guy, loved him as a doctor, delivered my second son..
Sadly, he's retired now...

Did he stutter and say "well" a lot? Actually... sounds kinda scary.

KitchenKitten99
02-11-2007, 12:42 AM
i think women OB/Gyns are much gentler than the men with everything, especially when using the metal duckie... With both my boys, i had both males and females when I went in for check ups, because I would go in on the same day each month, same time of day, and I would just see who was available in the Ob/Gyn office, usually I had a pick, since the appt was so far ahead. There were a few that I liked better than others, but I did prefer the females, only because I felt I could connect on more than just a professional level. One of the female drs is the mother of 6 kids, 3 normal birth, 3 c/s, so she's my favorite because she's so full of personal experience and really helped me feel at ease about stuff.

Hobbit
02-11-2007, 01:02 AM
I can understand the sentiment...kinda. I don't think I'd want a chick screening me for prostate or testicular cancer...

stephanie
02-11-2007, 03:47 AM
I can understand the sentiment...kinda. I don't think I'd want a chick screening me for prostate or testicular cancer...

Tough........bend over and cough....

And then say..........aaaaaaaa....

Us Women are coming to get You....:boobies:

:rock:

Abbey Marie
02-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I've had just the opposite experience of Fuzzy. Several years ago, I had a female gyn who was very unkind in every way. I switched to the male gyn I have now, and he is very gentle and a very compassionate soul. On the other hand, I switched from a jerk male PCP to a female, and she is a dream. As in most areas of life, it's an individual thing. One thing I learned the hard way: Don't waste any time with a doctor who treats you poorly or disrespectfully in anyway. There are others out there with whom you will feel more comfortable.

Pale Rider
02-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm just glad I'm a man and don't have to deal with any of it. "Periods"... :puke3:

However, I do think you should be able to choose the sex of your doctor. I did at the V.A. If males in Sweden or anywhere else are aware that they may not be as requested as their female counterparts, then DON'T GET INTO IT if that bothers you.

krisy
02-11-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm with Abbey. Male doctors delivered both of my children and were both very kind and comforting. I did however,have a couple of nasty female nurses and both of the men that gave me my epiderals were awful. I think you have good and bad with both sexes. Go with the "person" you feel comfy with,not necessarily the sex.

I do feel however,choosing your own doctor is something you should be allowed to do.

manu1959
02-11-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm just glad I'm a man and don't have to deal with any of it. "Periods"... :puke3:

However, I do think you should be able to choose the sex of your doctor. I did at the V.A. If males in Sweden or anywhere else are aware that they may not be as requested as their female counterparts, then DON'T GET INTO IT if that bothers you.

you 50 yet?.....bet you can't wait for the big butt probe