PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest. Wallpaper. Ever.

KitchenKitten99
11-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Ok, backstory to this. Our house was built in 1969. My grandparents purchased it in 1980, and finally selling it to us a little over 3 years ago for them to retire. The walls of two of the bedrooms had been paneled over with a floral-pattern peneling. There is drywall underneath, but from what my grandparents said, it was covered in this ugly football-themed wallpaper that proved very difficult to remove, so they just decided it was faster and ultimately cheaper to just buy the paneling and go over it. We decided that this room would now be our younger son's. Since my husband originally had this room as his den, and wasn't keen on the florals, he had painted over the two plain walls and the two that were paneled with forest green semi-gloss paint without primer on any of the walls, so the paint was starting to come off in places. I wanted to repaint it, but there is no way I am painting over the paneling (it is also floral textured, in conjuction with the visual pattern) and have it chip off. The paneling just had to go. Knowing there was wallpaper that needed to be removed before painting, I found some stuff at Home Depot to get it off no problem.

So Friday night, I ventured into doing just that. Removing the paneling, to remove the wallpaper later. When the panels were off, I saw what my grandparents were talking about. What would posess someone to put wallpaper that hideous in a kids room? I would almost want to count it as a form of child abuse.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/FuzzyKitten1999/PB170163.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/FuzzyKitten1999/PB170165.jpg

Yurt
11-21-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm trippen just seeing that in a picture. Though I wasn't born yet, people in 69 might have thought it was "cool" I mean:

http://www.automotiveblogger.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/pinto2.jpg

:D

5stringJeff
11-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Wow... that is some ugly wallpaper! Did it come off OK?

Gaffer
11-22-2007, 09:31 AM
That would have been some cool wall paper for a kid back in 1969. Especially one that was really into football. It could well have been put up in the 70's. It does seem to have a more 70's look to it.

Get some wall paper remover. Let it soak in and use a six inch drywall knife and start scraping.

jackass
11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
I think it is GREAT!! It reminds me of the sheets I used to have as a kid. I would hang it up in my sons room now!! :D

Abbey Marie
11-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I think it is GREAT!! It reminds me of the sheets I used to have as a kid. I would hang it up in my sons room now!! :D

I like the retro aspect of it, too! The pattern might be nice as curtains in a little boys room.

Trigg
11-23-2007, 02:29 PM
The first house my husband and I bought was a fixer-upper. The room upstairs had fuzzy green wallpapper and long red shag carpet. They still had the rake and everything.

PostmodernProphet
11-23-2007, 03:40 PM
oh I know that feeling...the master bedroom in our first house had yellow walls, sort of a pinkish purple carpeting and olive green curtains.....

KitchenKitten99
11-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Wow... that is some ugly wallpaper! Did it come off OK?

Haven't had time to get to it yet. I bought some gel-based remover and I hope to get a start on it tomorrow afternoon. Good thing we aren't in an real hurry with this. I still have to wait until we have the money to buy all the tinted primer and paint (still have not picked a theme/color yet...), and we have to get the carpet cleaned. The boys will just continue to share a room until Ben's is finished.

I sent a picture of it via email to my grandma, who called me laughing and told me good luck. I told her that they have better removal stuff than they had 20+ years ago.