PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Ladies Slammed for Anti-Bush Sign

stephanie
11-21-2007, 06:01 PM
:laugh2::cuckoo::cow:

Richard Kim

"WE DID NOT VOTE FOR BUSH." Those words were handwritten on the back of a menu by the US women's bridge team and held aloft during the award ceremony at the world team championships in Shanghai last month. The team had just won the tournament, destroying Germany in the final, and were making what they thought was a small political statement. It wasn't a particularly radical message (who else didn't vote for Bush?), and it was made spontaneously, in a moment of international goodwill and humor.

As today's NYT chronicles, the United States Bridge Federation was not amused. Its president, Jan Martel, and executive board are pushing for tough sanctions against the entire team--a one-year suspension, plus a one-year probation, 200 hours of bridge-related community service and a formal apology. Bridge Federation lawyer Alan Falk threatened team members with "greater sanction" if they reject the Federation's offer. Team members have been accused by other players of "treason" and "sedition," according to the NYT. On message boards they've been compared to the Dixie Chicks and Tommie Smith and John Carlos--US sprinters who raised a fist in salute to Black Power at the 1968 Olympics and were subsequently ejected from the games.
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m268/alaskamomma/1114_11.jpg

SNIP:
If you're mad as hell and want to support the US women's bridge team--email Jan Martel
Left-leaning, free-speech loving bridge players are especially encouraged!

read the rest...
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/notion?pid=251811

PostmodernProphet
11-21-2007, 06:06 PM
200 hours of bridge-related community service

/snickers.......

11-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I think the bridge federation is completely in the right on this issue. They were acting as representatives of the bridge federation and made a political statement to the international community that wasnt in line with the federations purposes. If one of your agents abuses their position for their own political reasons, there is no doubt that they should be sanctioned.

What the heck ever happened to politics end at the waters edge? Seriously, I didnt vote for Clinton but if I was overseas representing the United States, the last thing I would be doing is putting President Clinton down.

I think this is less a free speech issue and more a "Use intelligence to bring things up in the right time and place" issue.

stephanie
11-21-2007, 06:24 PM
I agree with you Avatar..
I didn't make myself real clear when I posted this...I couldn't believe people on the nation site saw this as some big thing to get behind...Like the MAN is trying to keep people down...That's why I posted it, I found it hilarious..

truthmatters
11-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Did you hear why they did it?

stephanie
11-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Did you hear why they did it?

Because "Bush Derangement Syndrome" has infected their every waking moment????:coffee:

mrg666
11-21-2007, 09:50 PM
the thing is they were on the world stage due to their bridge , not politics ie it wasnt a political platform .

diuretic
11-21-2007, 09:57 PM
The other team members banging on about "treason" and "sedition" are bloody idiots.

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-21-2007, 10:52 PM
HELL what do you expect from a bunch of fucking lesbians?

mrg666
11-21-2007, 10:55 PM

the links to these allegations are at ?
:link:

mrg666
11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
The other team members banging on about "treason" and "sedition" are bloody idiots.

agree

diuretic
11-22-2007, 03:18 AM

Don't be a twat, twat :lol:

stephanie
11-22-2007, 03:43 AM
Don't be a twat, twat :lol:

:eek:I'm telling...
Is that word still allowed to be said??:coffee:

stephanie
11-22-2007, 04:31 AM
As far as the Bridge playing ladies go...

I'm very much coming to agree with Michael Savage...

Liberalism....is a mental disorder....

They can't let politics go from their life..
They JUST had to make a statement for some friggin reason....I guess winning wasn't enough for them to get their jollies.:cuckoo:

Too bad for them....Remember. actions sometimes have consequences....

Just ask the Dixie Chicks....:laugh2:

diuretic
11-22-2007, 04:59 AM
:eek:I'm telling...
Is that word still allowed to be said??:coffee:

So far....so good.............

It's vulgar but it means "idiot" where I'm from, well used in this context.

diuretic
11-22-2007, 05:01 AM
As far as the Bridge playing ladies go...

I'm very much coming to agree with Michael Savage...

Liberalism....is a mental disorder....

They can't let politics go from their life..
They JUST had to make a statement for some friggin reason....I guess winning wasn't enough for them to get their jollies.:cuckoo:

Too bad for them....Remember. actions sometimes have consequences....

Just ask the Dixie Chicks....:laugh2:

I like the Dixie Chicks...but Pale would reckon they do cookie cutter country music :laugh2:

stephanie
11-22-2007, 05:08 AM
So far....so good.............

It's vulgar but it means "idiot" where I'm from, well used in this context.

"Idiot" is NOT what it means here in the states...

No matter...

Alls good...it's only a WORD..I was being facetious when I pointed it out...

Cheerios..:cheers2:

5stringJeff
11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
I think the bridge federation is completely in the right on this issue. They were acting as representatives of the bridge federation and made a political statement to the international community that wasnt in line with the federations purposes. If one of your agents abuses their position for their own political reasons, there is no doubt that they should be sanctioned.

Indeed. The ladies are free to speak their minds, but when they appear on behalf of an organization like that, the organization is also free to declare what members can say on its behalf.

REDWHITEBLUE2
11-22-2007, 12:00 PM
the links to these allegations are at ?
:link::poke: SEE above picture