PDA

View Full Version : Man To Sue Highway Patrol

Nukeman
11-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Man To Sue Highway Patrol After Traffic Stop Tasing:

This is absolutely a abuse of power or at the very least an overreaction by the officer. Dont get me wrong I think tasers can be very useful but there is no way in hell a taser should be used for not signing a trafic ticket. In fact most states dont have you sign the damn thing anyway..

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/topnews/story.aspx?content_id=33fb7027-f63d-4414-9a9f-f815f4d4f302

Related Links
YouTube Video Link
The man refused to sign a ticket for allegedly speeding and after that a Utah Highway Patrol trooper tased him in front of his pregnant wife and baby.

Now the man is planning to file a lawsuit against the Utah Highway Patrol.

Jared Massey may or may not have been speeding but he was arrested when he refused to sign the speeding ticket, not knowing he had to. Now you can see it all unfold on Youtube.

Massey says, “I thought he was going to go after someone on the other side.”

Jared Massey says he was already slowing down as he approached this 40 mile per hour sign in a construction zone outside of vernal on September 14th.

But then trooper John Gardner pulled him over.

“How you doing, going kind of fast, license and registration.”

Massey was asked how fast he was going. The two exchanged words we can’t hear because of traffic going by but after about a minute trooper Gardner goes back to his car, and returns with a ticket.

Massey is asked to sign the ticket but refuses. Trooper Gardner asks him to exit the SUV.

At this point, Massey says he thought they would talk about the circumstances.

Massey fell flat on his back as he was tased. His pregnant wife, Lauren, came out of the car screaming.

“I see this guy pull gun on me,” says Massey. “I thought it was a real gun.”

LiberalNation
11-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Hate cops for every good one there's another power tripper who has fun lording over and fucking up your day.

Yurt
11-22-2007, 08:51 PM
That trooper was completely in the wrong. That guy was not "threatening." He also lied to his fellow trooper at the end where he said, "I told him I would taser him."

Unfortunately, this will cost Utah taxpayers, however, how else do we compensate the guy tazed? That is a rogue trooper, no doubt. Given that, it might be harder to bring a 1983 action, however, the question remains, what is to be done for the guy tazed?

Yurt
11-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Hate cops for every good one there's another power tripper who has fun lording over and fucking up your day.

illogical and inconsistent. Hate cops - implies all. Yet, you agree there are "good" cops. For these good cops, you then allege that there is a "counter" part (another) that makes the good cop irrelevant.

Pretty small minded don't you think....

Classact
11-22-2007, 09:13 PM
The cop was correct to taser the person when he refussed to follow instructions. I'll give you odds that the cop wins and the speeder loses. The guy acted like a lawyer when all he had to do was follow instructions... courts are for contesting citations not with the police issuing it. I worked the street as an MP several years and I'm here to tell you that the violator guy was wrong. We didn't have tasers when I worked the road but if a person gave me "I'm in charge" instructions" and walked away as though he was leaving after the second order to stop he would have eaten blacktop and would probably have a broken arm if he resisted the cuffs being put on.

Classact
11-22-2007, 09:44 PM
That trooper was completely in the wrong. That guy was not "threatening." He also lied to his fellow trooper at the end where he said, "I told him I would taser him." The guy didn't have to be threatening to be arrested... the guy was asked to sign a piece of paper that doesn't acknowledge guilt but receipt of the notice (to appear in court if you desire to contest the citation)... The guy was asked to come to the rear of his vehicle to be arrested if he refused to sign...my guess that is the law in the state... don't sign the citation then go before a magistrate and be released... the guy walked away... the guy and the cop were about the same size and the guy could have a weapon inside the car... two warning were given to stop and they were not confusing as if they were requests...

Unfortunately, this will cost Utah taxpayers, however, how else do we compensate the guy tazed? That is a rogue trooper, no doubt. Given that, it might be harder to bring a 1983 action, however, the question remains, what is to be done for the guy tazed?How would you have handled the shithouse lawyer?

Yurt
11-22-2007, 09:50 PM
The guy didn't have to be threatening to be arrested... the guy was asked to sign a piece of paper that doesn't acknowledge guilt but receipt of the notice (to appear in court if you desire to contest the citation)... The guy was asked to come to the rear of his vehicle to be arrested if he refused to sign...my guess that is the law in the state... don't sign the citation then go before a magistrate and be released... the guy walked away... the guy and the cop were about the same size and the guy could have a weapon inside the car... two warning were given to stop and they were not confusing as if they were requests...

How would you have handled the shithouse lawyer?

Judgmental eh.....

Watch the end of the video where the cop tells his partner that he "warned" the guy he was to be tazed. Then watch again the taze part, no warning was ever given. No warning that arrest would result if the paper was not signed.

The cop is lying.

Classact
11-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Judgmental eh.....

Watch the end of the video where the cop tells his partner that he "warned" the guy he was to be tazed. Then watch again the taze part, no warning was ever given. No warning that arrest would result if the paper was not signed.

The cop is lying.There is no requirement to warn someone that they will be tazed if they don't stop... I'm sure the cop and the guy both had their adrenaline going after the conflict and it would be easy to blurt out the statement he made. Would you tell a cop the only way I will accept a ticket from you is if we go back to the first speed limit sign, that I didn't see? Well, I guess the cop knew there were two speed limit signs and didn't find it necessary... clearly there was a sign in the beginning of the video with 40MPH and the cop pulled over beside it as the guy who stated he was driving 56MPH drove past him. If there wasn't a camera and I was there as the cop I'd smacked the little smart ass in the nuts and wrote the report of how he resisted arrest. How could a judge look at the video and not side with the cop... what cop would ever work and write citations again if this puke walks?

Classact
11-22-2007, 10:07 PM
The cop had his license and the guy was going to drive away without a license. Be reasonable.

Yurt
11-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Classact;158403]There is no requirement to warn someone that they will be tazed if they don't stop...

In a civil lawsuit, yes there is. It goes to negligence and "willfulness." I would also argue that it goes to criminal as well, notice the article says all charges dropped.........save the signing of the ticket.

I'm sure the cop and the guy both had their adrenaline going after the conflict and it would be easy to blurt out the statement he made.

Did you watch the entire video?

Would you tell a cop the only way I will accept a ticket from you is if we go back to the first speed limit sign, that I didn't see?

Near strawman, but, you asked. The speed post sign was:

A. Permanent

B. Temporary

Well, I guess the cop knew there were two speed limit signs and didn't find it necessary... clearly there was a sign in the beginning of the video with 40MPH and the cop pulled over beside it as the guy who stated he was driving 56MPH drove past him. If there wasn't a camera and I was there as the cop I'd smacked the little smart ass in the nuts

Ok.

and wrote the report of how he resisted arrest. How could a judge look at the video and not side with the cop... what cop would ever work and write citations again if this puke walks?

And you would be wrong. He did NOT "resist" arrest.

Something is very wrong when the guy's fellow trooper comes up at the end and POSITIONS himself directly in front of the camera.

I suggest watching the video again.

Yurt
11-22-2007, 10:13 PM
The cop had his license and the guy was going to drive away without a license. Be reasonable.

What do you mean?

Classact
11-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I watched it again and the guy was a total asshole from the beginning... uncooperative and refusing to follow orders... He was clearly told to place his hands behind his back and then failed to follow orders after being faced by the officer with the teaser... from the viewpoint of the officer he was either planning to retrieve a weapon from the car or flee without a drivers license. No citizen has the rights the guy demanded of the officer... driving is a privilege and not a right... you cannot drive without a license which he was planning to do or either he was planning to get a weapon. That asshole was wrong.

Yurt
11-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I watched it again and the guy was a total asshole from the beginning... uncooperative and refusing to follow orders... He was clearly told to place his hands behind his back and then failed to follow orders after being faced by the officer with the teaser... from the viewpoint of the officer he was either planning to retrieve a weapon from the car or flee without a drivers license. No citizen has the rights the guy demanded of the officer... driving is a privilege and not a right... you cannot drive without a license which he was planning to do or either he was planning to get a weapon. That asshole was wrong.

being an asshole is not against the law, nor is it grounds for tazing. i watched it again as well. when the trooper ordered him out of the car, it was solely for not signing the ticket.

as soon as he gets out of the vehicle, the trooper pulls the tazer and tells him to get on the ground. this was before he was told to put his hands behind his back. the trooper told him to get out the vehicle, and then he put him down. if i was that guy and some trooper pulled a "gun" on me I might/would react the same way. the guy did nothing but allegedly disobey a speeding law. a temp law at that.

very different if a violent crime.

IMHO

diuretic
11-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I thought the trooper was well out of order.

Anyway, the procedure for getting a ticket in the US (I haven't got one so far) is strange to me. Here we pull the car over and speak to the driver and issue them an infringement notice. They don't have to sign it. They can then choose to pay it within 40-something days or they can simply not do anything in which case they will have a summons served on them to appear in court. No big deal. No arrest, even though we have the broadest arrest powers you'll find in a liberal democracy anywhere (I'm not kidding - I used to have a general search warrant when I was a detective, a general search warrant). If they give us a false name then in they go, otherwise, no.

Anyway I'm OT.

Classact
11-22-2007, 11:24 PM
being an asshole is not against the law, nor is it grounds for tazing. i watched it again as well. when the trooper ordered him out of the car, it was solely for not signing the ticket.

as soon as he gets out of the vehicle, the trooper pulls the tazer and tells him to get on the ground. this was before he was told to put his hands behind his back. the trooper told him to get out the vehicle, and then he put him down. if i was that guy and some trooper pulled a "gun" on me I might/would react the same way. the guy did nothing but allegedly disobey a speeding law. a temp law at that.

very different if a violent crime.

IMHOYou need to watch the video again... the cop told the guy to get out of the vehicle and the guy complied... the guy walked past the cop and started to point in the direction of the speed limit sign and the cop "ordered him" with his hand on the holster to put his hands behind his back... the guy then turned immediately and the cop pulled the weapon and ordered again and again for him to comply and then pulled the trigger.

The cop had his license.

The cop had his license because the guy gave it to him, which would indicate he comprehended that the cop had authority to ask for it.

The cop told him to sign the ticket.

The guy refused to sign the ticket.

The cop orders the guy out of his vehicle.

The cop tells the guy to put his hands behind his back.

The guy refuses.

The cop tells the guy to stop twice... The cop must consider the guy has a weapon in the vehicle... The guy acts like a mentally imbalanced person and continues.

The cop fires the teaser. End of story.

When a cop is working alone he secures the subject... then informs him of the charges and then reads him his rights. At no time in the control of a police does a citizen have the right to ignore instructions.

mrg666
11-22-2007, 11:25 PM
I thought the trooper was well out of order.

Anyway, the procedure for getting a ticket in the US (I haven't got one so far) is strange to me. Here we pull the car over and speak to the driver and issue them an infringement notice. They don't have to sign it. They can then choose to pay it within 40-something days or they can simply not do anything in which case they will have a summons served on them to appear in court. No big deal. No arrest, even though we have the broadest arrest powers you'll find in a liberal democracy anywhere (I'm not kidding - I used to have a general search warrant when I was a detective, a general search warrant). If they give us a false name then in they go, otherwise, no.

Anyway I'm OT.

yup same here no pay its court .

Classact
11-23-2007, 07:12 AM
yup same here no pay its court .I fail to understand why you people side with the young puke with his bad attitude????????

The kid was a smartass... would you act like him too? Cop approaches the car and says, you know why I'm here and the puke answers, yea because you only made C's in high school... now cop listen closely and I'll teach you your job... I do not recognize your evaluation of me and therefore you have no authority over me... now you follow my instructions my public servant or just get out of my life...

I know some cops in NC that would take this idiot to the police station and not leave a mark on his little smart ass... they would put him in the elevator and fill it with mace and hit the up button... then the guy on the second floor would fill it with mace and hit the down button... and they would do it until he realized they had the same sick sense of humor that he does...

Nukeman
11-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I fail to understand why you people side with the young puke with his bad attitude????????

The kid was a smartass... would you act like him too? Cop approaches the car and says, you know why I'm here and the puke answers, yea because you only made C's in high school... now cop listen closely and I'll teach you your job... I do not recognize your evaluation of me and therefore you have no authority over me... now you follow my instructions my public servant or just get out of my life...

I know some cops in NC that would take this idiot to the police station and not leave a mark on his little smart ass... they would put him in the elevator and fill it with mace and hit the up button... then the guy on the second floor would fill it with mace and hit the down button... and they would do it until he realized they had the same sick sense of humor that he does...And I would sue your ass for cruel and human punishment. Not to mention torture, pain and suffering, and just plain old being a asshole..

The cops are not there to pass judgement they are there to right a citation or stop illegal activity. You my friend have been reading too many Judge Dredd comic books.

This cop was an asshole. He could have been a lot easier to deal with. He had a chip on his shoulder from the start and was out to prove he was in charge. He should have explained to the individual the consequences of not signing the citation. In most staes it is not manditory to do so it just happens to be the rule in that state. Was this guy from that state? Did he know the rule? Did the cop talk in a patient and plite manner to the public which he serves? I think not he was a power hungry idiot

No matter how you slice it NO ONE deserves to be tazed for refusal to SIGN a fucking poece of paper.. The cop could have kept his license and said you can pick this up at the station when you come into sign your citation..

Classact
11-23-2007, 12:47 PM
And I would sue your ass for cruel and human punishment. Not to mention torture, pain and suffering, and just plain old being a asshole..Who would be your witness... My report... at the above date, time and location I placed the subject under arrest, subject resisted arrest and necessary force was applied... the subject was then transported to Womach Hospital where he was treated for injuries resulting from his resistance to arrest... see my and my partner's statements, attached.

The cops are not there to pass judgement they are there to right a citation or stop illegal activity. You my friend have been reading too many Judge Dredd comic books.

This cop was an asshole. He could have been a lot easier to deal with. He had a chip on his shoulder from the start and was out to prove he was in charge. He should have explained to the individual the consequences of not signing the citation. In most staes it is not manditory to do so it just happens to be the rule in that state. Was this guy from that state? Did he know the rule? Did the cop talk in a patient and plite manner to the public which he serves? I think not he was a power hungry idiot

No matter how you slice it NO ONE deserves to be tazed for refusal to SIGN a fucking poece of paper.. The cop could have kept his license and said you can pick this up at the station when you come into sign your citation.. We do not know the facts, the reading on the radar may have been 75MPH... Perhaps the state police there have a policy that requires a signature or arrest? Had the citizen been otherwise cooperative up to refusing to sign the ticket I would have asked the puke to get out of his car and then tell him you either sign the ticket or I'm calling a tow truck to impound your vehicle... or sign the ticket and like you said, you can pick up your drivers license when you pay the ticket... does your wife have a license? But we do not know the facts... The citizen was an asshole from the start and after the officer told him to place his hands behind his back and he refused he was wrong and the cop was right to use necessary force because he could be trying to get a weapon from the vehicle.

Hugh Lincoln
11-23-2007, 01:08 PM
No. 1 reason people get the beatdown by NYPD is showing disrespect. Rightly or wrongly, this is a factor. I don't like rogue cops, but rogue suspects are no good, either. Cops are also human beings. You can piss them off. Grown-up people try not to. Be respecful, and that will go a long way to keeping yourself safe. I think some people WANT confrontations. They get 'em.

Classact
11-23-2007, 01:27 PM
No. 1 reason people get the beatdown by NYPD is showing disrespect. Rightly or wrongly, this is a factor. I don't like rogue cops, but rogue suspects are no good, either. Cops are also human beings. You can piss them off. Grown-up people try not to. Be respecful, and that will go a long way to keeping yourself safe. I think some people WANT confrontations. They get 'em.Germany is a place where the police appear laid back... but many a young GI have found out the hard way they speak once and then a hard rubber slapper goes across the forehead... it looks like on hit but there are three knots... it is so fast you need an instant replay... they dance like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

Nukeman
11-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Who would be your witness... My report... at the above date, time and location I placed the subject under arrest, subject resisted arrest and necessary force was applied... the subject was then transported to Womach Hospital where he was treated for injuries resulting from his resistance to arrest... see my and my partner's statements, attached.

So your telling me your fine WITH BREAKING THE LAW AND LYING ABOUT IT!!! This is the type of crap that give police a bad name. You are whats wrong here and I would like for you to find anyone on here that disagrees. That type of crap is also the way for the "suspect" to wait some night when your not paying as much attention as you should and you get your f***ing head blown off.

I tell you what you could pull that shit with me and I would be very patient and wait for your sorry ass and beat the living shit out of you.. Nobody fucks with my family or myself in that type of manner.. I am also a pretty damn good shot so is my wife....
:fu::pee:

Classact
11-23-2007, 03:51 PM
So your telling me your fine WITH BREAKING THE LAW AND LYING ABOUT IT!!! This is the type of crap that give police a bad name. You are whats wrong here and I would like for you to find anyone on here that disagrees. That type of crap is also the way for the "suspect" to wait some night when your not paying as much attention as you should and you get your f***ing head blown off.

I tell you what you could pull that shit with me and I would be very patient and wait for your sorry ass and beat the living shit out of you.. Nobody fucks with my family or myself in that type of manner.. I am also a pretty damn good shot so is my wife....
:fu::pee:The puke in this video deserves a wake up call... I was an MP in the 82nd Airborne Division... I waded into bar fights like they were Sunday school... got my ass handed to me one time for being nice... my upper front teeth knocked out with my night stick when I was 19 years old... After that if someone had a smart assed mouth I spoke once and then if no compliance the report read as quoted by you from me... No one, the Army or government pays cops enough to eat shit from the public... get your clothes ripped off, shoes trampled on, get beat on ... you just run out of nice guy in about a week...

I was working town patrol in Fayetteville, NC in 1968 with a rookie city cop... he was arresting a civilian who was leaving a bar drunk trying to drive (I pointed the guy out to the rookie) when the guys girlfriend assaulted him clawing his face... A County Mountie showed up and grabbed the woman and hit her with an open hand so hard I thought he knocked her head off... her hair piece flew thirty feet across the parking lot... by this time the rookie snatched up the woman and the County mounty was trying to put cuffs on the boyfriend... he was a strong half black half Lumbee River Indian and was resisting... I had no authority because they were civilians... then the County cop's back went red on his white shirt... the Indian had a pen knife on his key chain and had sliced the cops back open... I broke the Indians fucking arm... I got a citation from the Mayor and the Commanding General... the fucking Indian did not come looking for me... and it was he that took the elevator ride with mace. So fuck you!

actsnoblemartin
11-23-2007, 07:18 PM
the cop should be fired.

Man To Sue Highway Patrol After Traffic Stop Tasing:

This is absolutely a abuse of power or at the very least an overreaction by the officer. Dont get me wrong I think tasers can be very useful but there is no way in hell a taser should be used for not signing a trafic ticket. In fact most states dont have you sign the damn thing anyway..

http://www.kutv.com/content/news/topnews/story.aspx?content_id=33fb7027-f63d-4414-9a9f-f815f4d4f302

Kathianne
11-23-2007, 07:19 PM
the cop should be fired.

Did you watch the video? Did you see him turn away? I'm not defending the cop, think he was over-the-top as far as tasering, but that may well be poor training.

JohnDoe
11-23-2007, 07:33 PM
He should be fired and he should pay the restitution, and tasers ARE NOT SUPPOSE to be used for a gosh dar traffic ticket or when the cop is not in danger.

And BULLSHIT CLASSACT.for all that you have said. :slap::slap:

Classact
11-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Did you watch the video? Did you see him turn away? I'm not defending the cop, think he was over-the-top as far as tasering, but that may well be poor training.As I said earlier you have to know the facts of policy for the State Trooper for such an incident. I would think, logic would dictate, the person be detained until he sign the ticket and if the person didn't cooperate the Trooper would call the Desk Sergeant for advice. Logic would also dictate that the guy would not be allowed to drive away without a license and his vehicle registration. I could see his wife driving and him being advised that his state driving privileges will be revoked until the matter is resolved as a means of opting for cooperation.

State Troopers are usually very well trained in every state and that is why I wonder about the rules he was thinking he was following? If the guy was a city cop then I would write it off on inexperience but the guy is a State Trooper so that makes me wonder how he moved from school, through co-training with a senior partner to working alone and make a mistake that seems obviously wrong to the on looker. All I really know is the guy he stopped was acting like an asshole!

I was concerned about the location where the guy was tased so near the highway... the guy could have been run over. There are a lot of unanswered questions but I bet every State Trooper have their rules memorized right now.

I would have told the guy as he was standing by the police car that if he did not cooperate he would be arrested if the rules allowed... I've faced off some big sonsofbitches and a lot of smartasses but there was no doubt that they were going down in their mind when I decided that was necessary.

Yurt
11-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Classact;158700]As I said earlier you have to know the facts of policy

facts of policy????

I would think,

that first step can be fatal.

logic would dictate,

whose logic?

the person be detained until he sign the ticket

An important point. Has anyone determined that "not" signing a traffic ticket is punishable by imprisonment in Idaho or Utah, or whatever state.

. All I really know is the guy he stopped was acting like an asshole!

That explains your reasoning. You have a biased outlooked from the start.

I was concerned about the location where the guy was tased so near the highway... the guy could have been run over. There are a lot of unanswered questions but I bet every State Trooper have their rules memorized right now.

So you are starting to see that the trooper was .............. maybe ............. in the wrong.

I would have told the guy as he was standing by the police car that if he did not cooperate he would be arrested if the rules allowed... I've faced off some big sonsofbitches and a lot of smartasses but there was no doubt that they were going down in their mind when I decided that was necessary

BUT, you DID NOT. That trooper did not follow your "rules." And now you are starting to see/second guess that maybe the trooper was wrong.

Classact
11-23-2007, 09:02 PM
facts of policy????

that first step can be fatal.

whose logic?

An important point. Has anyone determined that "not" signing a traffic ticket is punishable by imprisonment in Idaho or Utah, or whatever state.

That explains your reasoning. You have a biased outlooked from the start.

So you are starting to see that the trooper was .............. maybe ............. in the wrong.

BUT, you DID NOT. That trooper did not follow your "rules." And now you are starting to see/second guess that maybe the trooper was wrong.If it were a open and shut case this notice would not be here...

Thank you for your concern regarding the use of a taser by a Utah Highway Patrol Trooper in the Uintah Basin. The Department of Public Safety appreciates your comments, concerns and most of all your patience. Right now we are taking all appropriate measures to investigate and review the circumstances. We can assure you that we are doing everything possible to look into this incident in a fair and impartial manner. A proper investigation takes time and we would ask for your patience. The purpose of this process is to determine if the Trooper acted appropriately.

The deployment of any taser by our Troopers is a serious matter. Every Trooper who works for the Highway Patrol and carries a taser is required to complete a certification course on the use of this non-lethal weapon. We continually train our officers on use of force issues and more specifically the use of a taser. We appreciate the public awareness on this issue and are committed to answering the questions and concerns of the public we are dedicated to protecting.

http://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/

Nukeman
11-23-2007, 09:59 PM
The puke in this video deserves a wake up call... I was an MP in the 82nd Airborne Division... I waded into bar fights like they were Sunday school... got my ass handed to me one time for being nice... my upper front teeth knocked out with my night stick when I was 19 years old... After that if someone had a smart assed mouth I spoke once and then if no compliance the report read as quoted by you from me... No one, the Army or government pays cops enough to eat shit from the public... get your clothes ripped off, shoes trampled on, get beat on ... you just run out of nice guy in about a week...

. So fuck you!

So because of this your willing to BREAK THE LAW in order to enforce it by your standards. You are such a jerk in this respect. I generaly agree with what you have to say but I have to add that I am very DISAPOINTED in the fact that you are so willing to flaunt the law in an attempt to "teach" a smart ass a lesson. Did you not learn anything in your training about diffusing a volatile situation? Did you not learn anything about tact? Did you only learn how to bust heads?

This is a sad state when the people who are charged with UPHOLDING the law decide to take it into their own hands and break it in order to put forth their own interpritation of justice.

You are a very sad little man to hide behind your badge as justification to abuse your power!!! I would have expected more form you from your other post on this board!!! I hope that there are very few like you out there but I think my hopes are misplaced!!!:slap:

Jeep Driver
11-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Nukeman , Yurt
I hope this will not piss you off at me but I gotta go with the cop on this. The cop showed the guy his wepon and gave him an order. Game over.
The guy kept going toward his car . maybe to get his pistol.?
I have noticed too many troopers getting shot on the road because they let thier guard down . We all want the good guys to win . But to help make sure that our troopers go home each night we must accept that the violence on the road is a bad deal. Any one of us pissed off lawabiding citizens have to toe the line when the trooper is in charge of the situation.
And he only tasered him ,he diden't shoot him.
The trooper gave him time to do the right thing. and the guy pushed it.
Bad decision.
Did the cop tell the other cop an embelishment? Yes in a small way .
The jist of what he said was accurate.
The golden rule on the highway is do what the trooper says.
Or don't play games with the trooper.
Sorry Nukeman .Sorry Yurt I hope you can understand my position.

:salute: :salute:

Classact
11-23-2007, 11:33 PM
So because of this your willing to BREAK THE LAW in order to enforce it by your standards. You are such a jerk in this respect. I generaly agree with what you have to say but I have to add that I am very DISAPOINTED in the fact that you are so willing to flaunt the law in an attempt to "teach" a smart ass a lesson. Did you not learn anything in your training about diffusing a volatile situation? Did you not learn anything about tact? Did you only learn how to bust heads?Generally, police have a wide choice of action in a variety of situations... they can give you a pass or report the violation exactly as the law is written... I was assigned to a garrison MP station as Operations Sergeant at Ft. Lee Va and there I had a Traffic Section that had two asshole MP's... They enforced the law to the exact extent of the law. I hated both of their sorry asses and looked for reasons to relieve them from duty... they would write tickets for two miles over the limit... driving off the paved surface of the roadway just inches into the dirt to pass a vehicle stopped turning left. These guys enjoyed every ticket... When I worked the road I almost never wrote a speeding ticket, if someone gave me a good story why they were driving fast, like I've been in the field for two weeks and my wife is due to have a baby... I smiled and wrote them a warning ticket and on their copy on the back was a drawling of an Oscar... I have no place in my heart for assholes and the guy in this incident was an asshole! Assholes got no pass from me... if they were drunk in a bar then maybe a break but driving they got the ticket. If in the act of apprehending an asshole my partner or I was hurt or our uniforms were damaged in the apprehension the subject was treated aggressively and any resistance was met with overwhelming force with little care for his minor scrapes and bruises... Why, because the person judging the law doesn't read about police injuries or damaged clothes... they say, oh he was drunk and I will fine him for being drunk equally to if he had cooperated... sober he is a great soldier, maybe I'll give him a break...

This is a sad state when the people who are charged with UPHOLDING the law decide to take it into their own hands and break it in order to put forth their own interpritation of justice.There were times I did just that because I knew the bad guy would get off with a lawyer... Two black guys from inner city Detroit held a strait razor to my roommate's throat and robbed him on a dark bus... my roommate was almost drunk or maybe drunk? These guys were wanted for doing the same thing to about fifty soldiers over three months... My roommate got off the buss and I was working Desk Sergeant and he ran into the station and told me what had happened... My other roommate was on patrol and stopped the buss less than two blocks away and the victim positively identified the two pukes. They had dropped the strait razor wiped clean under their seats... In a closed room these pukes admitted to the crime and gave my friend his money back. I didn't make a report because it was not done within the law... My two roommates volunteered to give these pukes a ride to their barracks... I think the two pukes learned what street SMART means on the way to their barracks but I wouldn't know about that because it never happened. I did read something in the blotter the next day about some pukes with wild stories at the hospital... all white folks look alike and the stories failed to yield an investigation... no witnesses, just like a drunk off duty MP isn't a witness to a robbery by street smart ghetto N......s... The fucking bus driver never remembered MP's coming on his bus, strange about street smart.

You are a very sad little man to hide behind your badge as justification to abuse your power!!! I would have expected more form you from your other post on this board!!! I hope that there are very few like you out there but I think my hopes are misplaced!!!:slap: Don't act like this puke did when pulled over by a cop... this puke may fly but other pukes don't get so lucky.

Monkeybone
11-24-2007, 08:50 PM
i do think that the cop was a little overboard, but at the same time he gave him an order and they guy just kept walking away. you have to think what is going through the cops mind. there is no way to know what he is going back to the car for. i have to go with Jeep on this one.

diuretic
11-25-2007, 12:19 AM
I fail to understand why you people side with the young puke with his bad attitude????????

I know some cops in NC that would take this idiot to the police station and not leave a mark on his little smart ass... they would put him in the elevator and fill it with mace and hit the up button... then the guy on the second floor would fill it with mace and hit the down button... and they would do it until he realized they had the same sick sense of humor that he does...

Was the inquiry meant for me? If so, I'd be happy to discuss it.

diuretic
11-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Did you watch the video? Did you see him turn away? I'm not defending the cop, think he was over-the-top as far as tasering, but that may well be poor training.

That's the point. It seems the taser is coming out too early these days. I'm used to using voice commands and if there's no compliance and it's an arrest situation then it's hands on and a fight if necessary. But the taser seems to be coming out first when it's way up the to in the use of force continuum.

-Cp
11-25-2007, 05:02 PM
being an asshole is not against the law, nor is it grounds for tazing.

Absolutely it is.... Tazing is not considered lethal force.... is ths cop supposed to take a punch in the face first? Last I checked, just cause you have a badget, doesn't mean your society's punching bag before you can enforce your instruction.

i watched it again as well. when the trooper ordered him out of the car, it was solely for not signing the ticket.

And that's a problem, why?

-Cp
11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
That's the point. It seems the taser is coming out too early these days. I'm used to using voice commands and if there's no compliance and it's an arrest situation then it's hands on and a fight if necessary. But the taser seems to be coming out first when it's way up the to in the use of force continuum.

Why are folks freaking out over tazers? Pepper spray used to be used all the time and folks wouldn't bitch about it and in fact, it was far worse as it'd always end up hitting other people as well. At least with a tazer, you can hit your intended target...

Ay wagers that this retarded driver was the same guy who - when punished by his parents - was allowed to reason with them? Clearly, his parents have failed him....

diuretic
11-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Why are folks freaking out over tazers? Pepper spray used to be used all the time and folks wouldn't bitch about it and in fact, it was far worse as it'd always end up hitting other people as well. At least with a tazer, you can hit your intended target...

Ay wagers that this retarded driver was the same guy who - when punished by his parents - was allowed to reason with them? Clearly, his parents have failed him....

Before oc spray and tasers there were batons and fists. I have to admit that it was always an ugly look, coppers belting someone with a baton or fists but at least it was controllable. I mean there was (and is) always the danger that you would hit someone in a vulnerable place but I was always careful not to hit in the head or any other vulnerable part of the body and judicious mix of punching and wrestling/holding worked pretty well as well as continual talking/yelling at the person being restrained. With oc spray and tasers, you deliver the discharge and that's that. If there's a pre-existing medical problem then there's not much you can do about it. But my problem is that the taser is coming out too early.

-Cp
11-26-2007, 01:00 AM
Before oc spray and tasers there were batons and fists. I have to admit that it was always an ugly look, coppers belting someone with a baton or fists but at least it was controllable. I mean there was (and is) always the danger that you would hit someone in a vulnerable place but I was always careful not to hit in the head or any other vulnerable part of the body and judicious mix of punching and wrestling/holding worked pretty well as well as continual talking/yelling at the person being restrained. With oc spray and tasers, you deliver the discharge and that's that. If there's a pre-existing medical problem then there's not much you can do about it. But my problem is that the taser is coming out too early.

Too early according to whom?

diuretic
11-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Too early according to whom?

Me :D

But of course the courts have the real say. I'm just calling it as I see it. I'm not referring to this incident, well not solely. The video of the RCMP at Vancouver Airport had me thinking they went for the taser way too early. According to an RCMP officer elsewhere it was within the RCMP use of force continuum, policy wise, it will be interesting to see what the coroner has to say about it though. And it's a personal observation (we don't have tasers for general duties) that OC spray is used very quickly these days. So far so good though on that score.

Classact
12-01-2007, 04:26 PM
The cop was correct to taser the person when he refussed to follow instructions. I'll give you odds that the cop wins and the speeder loses. The guy acted like a lawyer when all he had to do was follow instructions... courts are for contesting citations not with the police issuing it. I worked the street as an MP several years and I'm here to tell you that the violator guy was wrong. We didn't have tasers when I worked the road but if a person gave me "I'm in charge" instructions" and walked away as though he was leaving after the second order to stop he would have eaten blacktop and would probably have a broken arm if he resisted the cuffs being put on.

Damn Zack you were right!

Gardner's actions "were lawful and reasonable under the circumstances," UHP Superintendent Lance Davenport said at a news conference held at UHP headquarters in Taylorsville. http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7609258

diuretic
12-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Death threats? WTF????

Yurt
12-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Damn Zack you were right!

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_7609258

Internal investigators are continuing to review the case.
Davenport acknowledged there was a "communication breakdown" between Gardner and Massey, and that Gardner had alternative options that he didn't use to resolve the situation.

:poke:

;)

Classact
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM
:poke:

;)I should have said, Damn Classact you were right! I use Zack on several other sites and was going back and forth...

I didn't ever conclude that the highway patrolman did exactly what I would have done but the subject of the situation was a puke and deserved being zapped.

Yurt
12-01-2007, 10:33 PM
I should have said, Damn Classact you were right! I use Zack on several other sites and was going back and forth...

I didn't ever conclude that the highway patrolman did exactly what I would have done but the subject of the situation was a puke and deserved being zapped.

So, they are still investigating and so far, they have found that the trooper could have used alternate methods.

Um

Um