PDA

View Full Version : Suffering In The US

Kathianne
11-23-2007, 07:30 PM
We all know that there are countries and people that suffer much more than those of us in the US. It's just a fact of life, whether we are speaking of Asia, South America, the Middle East.

But what of our brothers and sisters that are looking at the fallout of our current economic crisis?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071123/ap_on_bi_ge/holiday_shopping

Shoppers seek bargains on Black Friday

By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer 56 minutes ago

The nation's shoppers — who have been hibernating in recent months because of worries about rising gas prices and falling home values — jammed malls and stores for pre-dawn discounts on everything from TVs to toys on the official start of Christmas shopping.

The aggressive tactics — bigger discounts and expanded hours like midnight openings_ apparently worked. Based on early reports, Macy's Inc., Toys "R" Us, K-B Toys Inc. and others that were noisy with discounts reported bigger crowds for the early morning bargains than a year ago. And electronic gadgets, particularly the hard-to-find Nintendo Wii, topped shoppers' wish lists, though frustrations were high among shoppers who couldn't get their hands on the limited bargains.

With the economy relying heavily on the consumer, however, it's crucial that the Black Friday euphoria lasts throughout the season, expected to be the weakest in five years.

"I'm really looking for the bargains this year because I'm losing my job; they're moving our plant to Mexico after the first of the year, so I have to be careful," said Tina Dillow of New Richmond, Ohio, who camped out at a Best Buy store near Cincinnati at 3 a.m. because of a great deal on a laptop. I noticed it wasn't a great deal on rice, milk, bread, or vegetables. No even on clothes.

Louise Jackson of Chesapeake, Va., arrived at the MacArthur Center, a mall in downtown Norfolk, Va., at 7:30 a.m., a half hour before it opened.

"We're just browsing, to see what's out here, to see if there's anything that would be worth it," she said. By 9:30 a.m., she hadn't bought anything, although she did place a pair of pants for herself on hold at Nordstrom. Her only shopping strategy was to keep an eye out for good deals.

"The tougher economic conditions are driving more shoppers to take advantage of early bird specials," said C. Britt Beemer, chairman of America's Research Group.

Marshal Cohen, chief analyst at NPD Group Inc. agreed, but he noted shoppers were buying selectively. Overall, the biggest draws were consumer electronics, including flat-screen TVs, digital cameras, digital frames, and laptops. In toys, which have been battered by recalls of a slew of lead tainted Chinese toys, there were plenty of hits, including video games such as Activision Inc.'s "Guitar Hero III," toys related to Walt Disney Co.'s "Hannah Montana" and Smart Cycle from Mattel Inc.'s Fisher-Price, toy executives said.

Somehow I have a hard time feeling sorry for these 'consumers', of which they truly are...

11-24-2007, 03:33 AM
You know, for a country supposedly going to an economic downturn, having one of the highest shopping yield in years on black friday is very odd.

Kathianne
11-24-2007, 07:22 AM
You know, for a country supposedly going to an economic downturn, having one of the highest shopping yield in years on black friday is very odd.

Yet all day long, Reuters and Yahoo kept up the headlines that it's going to be the 'slowest' shopping season in years. :coffee:

Abbey Marie
11-24-2007, 11:06 AM

I was wondering what the numbers looked like. Were they up again this year?

11-24-2007, 03:03 PM

I know that they were up enough from last year for the media to be forced to comment on it. i havent paid close enough attention to the details though.

Kathianne
11-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I found this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071124/ap_on_bi_ge/holiday_shopping

Retailers post robust start to holidays

By ANNE D'INNOCENZIO, AP Business Writer 41 minutes ago

NEW YORK - The nation's retailers had a robust start to the holiday shopping season, according to results announced Saturday by a national research group that tracks sales at retail outlets across the country.

According to ShopperTrak RCT Corp., which tracks sales at more than 50,000 retail outlets, total sales rose 8.3 percent to about $10.3 billion on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, compared with $9.5 billion on the same day a year ago. ShopperTrak had expected an increase of no more than 4 percent to 5 percent.

"This is a really strong number. ... You can't have a good season unless it starts well," said Bill Martin, co-founder of ShopperTrak, citing strength across all regions. "It's very encouraging. When you look at September and October, shoppers weren't in the stores."

Abbey Marie
11-24-2007, 05:53 PM
I know that they were up enough from last year for the media to be forced to comment on it. i havent paid close enough attention to the details though.

Funny, isn't it? The liberal media were predicting doom and gloom for black Friday for several days leading up to it. On Friday morning, one of our local guys even stated that he thought (from his anchor chair!) that most people were leaving stores empty handed. Then a reporter with the same obvious agenda, picked a guy leaving Best Buy with no packages, and asked him why he he didn't have any purchases. The man answered that he had already put it all in his car. Tee hee.

The only question is, which do libs wish for more- a total US defeat in Iraq, a collapsing economy, or global warming consequences of devastating proportions?

Kathianne
11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Funny, isn't it? The liberal media were predicting doom and gloom for black Friday for several days leading up to it. On Friday morning, one of our local guys even stated that he thought (from his anchor chair!) that most people were leaving stores empty handed. Then a reporter with the same obvious agenda, picked a guy leaving Best Buy with no packages why he he didn't have any purchases. The man answered that he had already put it all in his car. Tee hee.

The only question is, which do libs wish for more- a total US defeat in Iraq, a collapsing economy, or global warming consequences of devastating proportions?
I don't think the libs can make up their minds which would be better for them. As I posted, on the light side sales are up over 3% of projections. 3% is substantial, likely more.

April15
11-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I just read 8% at google.