PDA

View Full Version : Bush ally trounced in Aussie election

gabosaurus
11-24-2007, 11:24 AM
Australian prime minister John Howard's conservative party suffered a huge defeat in Saturday's national elections. Howard was even close to losing his own seat in the parliament, a humiliating setback for a national leader.
Labor leader Kevin Rudd, soon to be the new prime minister, vowed to immediately sign the Kyoto Treaty on Global Warming and withdraw all Australian troops from Iraq.

http://www.theage.com.au/

Kathianne
11-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Australian prime minister John Howard's conservative party suffered a huge defeat in Saturday's national elections. Howard was even close to losing his own seat in the parliament, a humiliating setback for a national leader.
Labor leader Kevin Rudd, soon to be the new prime minister, vowed to immediately sign the Kyoto Treaty on Global Warming and withdraw all Australian troops from Iraq.

http://origin.mercurynews.com/ci_7547817?nclick_check=1

AP:

Not exactly:

...Rudd has named global warming as his top priority, and his signing of the Kyoto Protocol will leave the U.S. as the only industrialized country not to have joined it.

Rudd said he would withdraw Australia's 550 combat troops from Iraq, leaving twice that number in mostly security roles. Howard had said all the troops will stay as long as needed...

April15
11-24-2007, 11:29 AM
The winds of war shift.

gabosaurus
11-24-2007, 12:06 PM
If you followed the progress of the Australian general election campaign, you saw that the campaigns were almost as much as John Howard's allegiance to Bush policies as they were about domestic issues. The Aussie Conservatives wanted to continue support, while Labor wanted a new and different path.
Labor ended up with a huge victory, controlling every part of the country. Howard might become only the second standing prime minister to lose his seat in the national parliament.

The American populace is feeling the same way. They might not say so publicly, but they are generally tired of sending their family members and neighbors overseas to get their heads blown off in an illegal war of aggression. They are also tired of the Bushies raping the national infrastructure to finance military programs.
I see the Dems (unpopular as they may be) winning the White House and a two-third majority of the House and Senate. Not because they favor the Dem candidates, but as a referendum against Bush aggression and stupidity.

Gaffer
11-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Defeating Bush is your only goal. You folks are going to win even if he's not playing in the game.

Gaffer
11-24-2007, 12:40 PM
The libs of the world are uniting to defeat Bush and the US at any cost.

Guernicaa
11-24-2007, 01:41 PM
It appears Poland has finally spoken as well:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20071123/poland/

gabosaurus
11-24-2007, 10:01 PM
About time that other countries come to their senses. They should make up their own minds and stop allowing the Bushies to bully them.

Sooner or later, you people are going to have to admit that Bush has dragged the GOP down the toilet and flushed them for the next four years or so.

stephanie
11-24-2007, 11:56 PM
I say the one's who are destroying this country...are the one's who are cheering the fact that the United States could be losing a close ally, just so they can celebrate this as a failure against George Bush..

Pretty Pathetic...

Jeep Driver
11-25-2007, 12:05 AM

gabosoreass
It is so clear that you have allowed yourself to be pumped so full of missinformation that I am not sure where to begin.
I asked you in a previous thread to tell us what your crystal ball had to say .
Because you seem to enjoy predicting the future for us all .
I really thought you would have something more beliveable than to expect us all to believe that Australia will be the political trend seter for Americian public opinion.
What you do not seem to be able to grasp is that Americians feel a larger sense of pourpose than most other countries.
While our hearts are breaking everytime one of our sons or daughters are wounded or killed serving our country.
Most and I really do mean Most as in the true majority many times the silent majority . Understand the stakes and the gravity of this situation.
We have to win in Bagdad or our next generation will be there fighting and dying for the same ground.
Wake Up. Bullies only understand one thing , FORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!
You must come to grips with the facts of human nature.
War is the only form of forgein relations that some will ever understand.
And all your Professors have yet to offer any soulutions.that do not involve Defeat.
We are Americians not Australians.
And by the way the people of Australia have been supporter's of the war on terror from the beginning . Even Britian has found it acceptable to start pulling out troops because of the lessening need for thier presences.
You know . VICTORY.
That must make your blood boil to be faced with the reality of the troop surge getting the job done.
So I really fail to see what you have to be making such grand predictions about.
Common people . You know us.
The ones with common sense.
The ones your Professers tell you to hate. Because we lack the education to
be making any important decisions
We would say that gabosoreass is just making a mountain out of a molehill.

If you wonder why it takes me so long to reply, it is because I only have one hand that still works well enough to type.

And I will take issue with your signature again .

I regret that I have but one life to give to my country.
Nathen Hale - 1778 -

diuretic
11-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Iraq didn't feature in the election. Early in the piece Rudd made mention that our 550 (yes, that's all) troops in Iraq will be pulled out, in consultation with the US, and redeployed to Afghanistan. That was it. The election was fought on domestic issues, in particular the deeply unpopular Work Choices policy (industrial - or as you would call it , labor - relations).

Bush is extremely unpopular in Australia but Australians, except for a tiny minority of nutters, value our alliance with the US. No party that had an ant-US policy would be elected to office in this country.

stephanie
11-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Iraq didn't feature in the election. Early in the piece Rudd made mention that our 550 (yes, that's all) troops in Iraq will be pulled out, in consultation with the US, and redeployed to Afghanistan. That was it. The election was fought on domestic issues, in particular the deeply unpopular Work Choices policy (industrial - or as you would call it , labor - relations).

Bush is extremely unpopular in Australia but Australians, except for a tiny minority of nutters, value our alliance with the US. No party that had an ant-US policy would be elected to office in this country.

Thanks diuretic..I was hoping to hear from you on all this...

Do you think this Rudd guy is going to be good for you all??

Jeep Driver
11-25-2007, 12:31 AM

Thank you D
I did not know that

diuretic
11-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks diuretic..I was hoping to hear from you on all this...

Do you think this Rudd guy is going to be good for you all??

I think he is going to be good. The country has very high expectations of him and his government and I feel if he falters they will have no mercy on him at the next election (3 year terms for federal governments here).

diuretic
11-25-2007, 05:48 AM
Thank you D
I did not know that

You're most welcome. There are some good media outlets to check if anyone is interested.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au (Murdoch press)

http://www.smh.com.au (Fairfax press, slightly "liberal" in the US sense)

http://www.theage.com.au (as per the SMH)

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/ (Murdoch again)

truthmatters
11-25-2007, 10:11 AM
I say the one's who are destroying this country...are the one's who are cheering the fact that the United States could be losing a close ally, just so they can celebrate this as a failure against George Bush..

Pretty Pathetic...

Here is the part you are missing. Bush is NOT the United States. This is just more evidence that Bush has screwed up our foreign policy. Now when we get a new Democratic president in a year these guys will get along great. Then you will spew hate for both their president and ours.

Sitarro
11-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Here is the part you are missing. Bush is NOT the United States. This is just more evidence that Bush has screwed up our foreign policy. Now when we get a new Democratic president in a year these guys will get along great. Then you will spew hate for both their president and ours.

Hillary Clinton is certainly NOT the United States.....only represents dikes and commies(union twats and etc.). Osamabamma is certainly Not the United States....... represents only a fraction of light skinned blacks and Oprah loving, guilt ridden white woman. John Boy Edwards...... represents the fag nation...... who could possibly give a shit about his gay self? Nobody else on the left even registers as a blip on radar.

You leftist dimwits have a lot to criticize with your own group of political hacks.

truthmatters
11-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Hillary Clinton is certainly NOT the United States.....only represents dikes and commies(union twats and etc.). Osamabamma is certainly Not the United States....... represents only a fraction of light skinned blacks and Oprah loving, guilt ridden white woman. John Boy Edwards...... represents the fag nation...... who could possibly give a shit about his gay self? Nobody else on the left even registers as a blip on radar.

You leftist dimwits have a lot to criticize with your own group of political hacks.

See what I mean you are already full of insults for anyone who is not Bush.

I just will wait and see how insane you all get when there are very few Republicans in the government because of their horrible handling of everything from this war to katrina and our economy. I know you will blame EVERYTHING on the dems who have to clean up Georgies and your mess though.

Trigg
11-25-2007, 11:59 AM

You need to go back and read Diuretic post #11. Unless of course you think you know more about what's happening there than he does.

NO one is spewing hatred for their new president, you idiot. :lame2:

truthmatters
11-25-2007, 12:03 PM

I think you missed this part?

truthmatters
11-25-2007, 12:10 PM

Pretty Pathetic...

BTW I never said we were losing an ally it was others.

I also did not say anyone was currently spewing hatered for their leader.

stephanie
11-25-2007, 04:02 PM
BTW I never said we were losing an ally it was others.

I also did not say anyone was currently spewing hatred for their leader.

Well...you've lost me all the way around here...
If you never said anything about losing an ally and it was others, then that must of been who I was referring to...

I don't know anything about your second statement...You don't find the word hate anywhere in what I said...

Perhaps you have a guilty conscious??

Cheerios...:cheers2:

Trigg
11-25-2007, 06:34 PM
I think you missed this part?

You are extremely adept at splitting hairs, do you work for an insurance company by any chance?

YOU said:
This is just more evidence that Bush has screwed up our foreign policy

Diuretic said:
Australians, except for a tiny minority of nutters, value our alliance with the US. No party that had an ant-US policy would be elected to office in this country

He also said:
Iraq didn't feature in the election

bullypulpit
11-28-2007, 05:58 AM
All politics IS local, as Tip O'Neil once said. But, on occasion, it has wider implications, as John Howard's electoral defeat shows.

Australia will be redeploying it's combat troops to Afghanistan...Where the Bush administration should have concentrated it efforts all along instead of spilling our blood and treasure in Iraq in pursuit of its misguided, misbegotten vendetta on Saddam Hussein.

Once Rudd and his Labor government approve the Kyoto Protocols, the US will be the only major industrial nation left which hasn't signed on.

These actions will only serve to further isolate the Bush administration from the rest of the world. Little enough makes it through the maze of delusion which serves as its foreign policy as it is.

bullypulpit
11-28-2007, 06:01 AM

Pretty Pathetic...

The United States won't be losing an ally. The Bush administration will be losing a willing dupe, in the form of John Howard, to its misguided policies.

stephanie
11-28-2007, 08:13 AM
The United States won't be losing an ally. The Bush administration will be losing a willing dupe, in the form of John Howard, to its misguided policies.

retiredman
11-28-2007, 08:59 AM

bingo!:clap:

jimnyc
11-28-2007, 09:01 AM
bingo!:clap:

Care to share with the rest of us and list his misguided policies that made him a "willing dupe" of the Bush administration?

retiredman
11-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Care to share with the rest of us and list his misguided policies that made him a "willing dupe" of the Bush administration?

Iraq, and then there's Iraq.... but wait! let's not forget Iraq!

jimnyc
11-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Iraq, and then there's Iraq.... but wait! let's not forget Iraq!

So every nation that stood their ground in supporting Iraq (coalition of the willing) are all willing dupes?

So basically, you know nothing about what Howard stands for and are just clapping because someone who supports action in Iraq lost an election, and of course you're more than willing to throw Bush in as an excuse. Generally speaking, when someone states policies, which is plural, they would do better than just regurgitating one stance.

Did you ever think for a second that Howard stood his ground because he believes he was doing the right thing, and in the best interest of the future of his country, and the rest of the world? How does that make him a willing dupe?

stephanie
11-28-2007, 09:13 AM

They don't know or care what it is...As long as they can use it as a shot against President Bush...

retiredman
11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
So every nation that stood their ground in supporting Iraq (coalition of the willing) are all willing dupes?

So basically, you know nothing about what Howard stands for and are just clapping because someone who supports action in Iraq lost an election, and of course you're more than willing to throw Bush in as an excuse. Generally speaking, when someone states policies, which is plural, they would do better than just regurgitating one stance.

Did you ever think for a second that Howard stood his ground because he believes he was doing the right thing, and in the best interest of the future of his country, and the rest of the world? How does that make him a willing dupe?

Jim:

I have no doubt that Howard thought he was doing the right thing. And you need to understand....I am not someone who hates everything Bush does. I have lived through seven republican presidencies (well, technically six..it'll be seven after january '09) I am still around. America can and does do great things when republicans are president and likewise with democratic presidents. I have only one real issue with George Bush: Iraq. I know you probably don't care or don't believe me, but on 9/13/01, I contacted the Department of the Navy and volunteered to go back on active duty in any capacity to help this president fight Al Qaeda. I was not a Bush hater then in any way. I have been extremely critical of the invasion/conquest/occupation of Iraq and it remains my only real nagging issue with the Bush administration. I think that there are many people throughout this country and throughout the world who either felt the way I felt then, or have come to feel that way now about our misadventure in Iraq. I have little doubt that Aussie's dissatisfaction with their country's participation in that misadventure played a role in Howard's demise.

on the other side of the fence, when is the last time you heard Stephanie or glock or any of the host of hardcore neocons ever say ANYTHING positive about Clinton?

jimnyc
11-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Jim:

I have no doubt that Howard thought he was doing the right thing. And you need to understand....I am not someone who hates everything Bush does. I have lived through seven republican presidencies (well, technically six..it'll be seven after january '09) I am still around. America can and does do great things when republicans are president and likewise with democratic presidents. I have only one real issue with George Bush: Iraq. I know you probably don't care or don't believe me, but on 9/13/01, I contacted the Department of the Navy and volunteered to go back on active duty in any capacity to help this president fight Al Qaeda. I was not a Bush hater then in any way. I have been extremely critical of the invasion/conquest/occupation of Iraq and it remains my only real nagging issue with the Bush administration. I think that there are many people throughout this country and throughout the world who either felt the way I felt then, or have come to feel that way now about our misadventure in Iraq. I have little doubt that Aussie's dissatisfaction with their country's participation in that misadventure played a role in Howard's demise.

on the other side of the fence, when is the last time you heard Stephanie or glock or any of the host of hardcore neocons ever say ANYTHING positive about Clinton?

I don't see how anything you stated backs up Bully's claim that you applauded. Simply because a lot of Australians don't approve of the war doesn't mean he was a willing dupe. Stating that you believe his position on an unpopular war played a part in his demise would have been fine, but you applauded the position of him being a dupe. Do you not see the difference between reality and unfounded rhetoric?

I can't answer your question about Steph and Glock. But I expect you to call them out when they produce rhetoric without any facts to backup their stances.

retiredman
11-28-2007, 09:59 AM
I don't see how anything you stated backs up Bully's claim that you applauded. Simply because a lot of Australians don't approve of the war doesn't mean he was a willing dupe. Stating that you believe his position on an unpopular war played a part in his demise would have been fine, but you applauded the position of him being a dupe. Do you not see the difference between reality and unfounded rhetoric?

Guilty as charged. I will admit that rhetoric is a temptress I cannot always ignore.

jimnyc
11-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Guilty as charged. I will admit that rhetoric is a temptress I cannot always ignore.

Kudos to you for this reply!

stephanie
11-28-2007, 10:06 AM
man....which Clinton are you whining about first off??

I don't say usually say anything when you all diss President Bush, I don't care..
But listening to you all crow over the thought we could lose an ally,(Australia) just so you can diss on President Bush, no matter it could hurt us all in the United States, makes me sick..ok

And HELL No...I will not say anything nice about the Hildabeast...I do not want her as my President...And Bill Clinton is nothing but a hound dog...

There...does that help..:cheers2:

retiredman
11-28-2007, 10:17 AM
man....which Clinton are you whining about first off??

I don't say usually say anything when you all diss President Bush, I don't care..
But listening to you all crow over the thought we could lose an ally,(Australia) just so you can diss on President Bush, no matter it could hurt us all in the United States, makes me sick..ok

And HELL No...I will not say anything nice about the Hildabeast...I do not want her as my President...And Bill Clinton is nothing but a hound dog...

There...does that help..:cheers2:

it does... an enlightening and revealing rhetorical masterpiece! Thank you for proving my point!:laugh2:

stephanie
11-28-2007, 10:19 AM
it does... an enlightening and revealing rhetorical masterpiece! Thank you for proving my point!:laugh2:

You're welcome...anytime..:laugh2::cheers2: