PDA

View Full Version : How Libertarian Are You?

Kathianne
11-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Pretty extensive:

http://www.bcaplan.com/cgi-bin/purity.cgi

Your score is...

What Your Score Means

0 points: You are not a libertarian by any stretch of the imagination. You are probably not even a liberal or a conservative. Just some Nazi nut, I guess.

1-5 points: You have a few libertarian notions, but overall you're a statist.

6-15 points: You are starting to have libertarian leanings. Explore them.

16-30 points: You are a soft-core libertarian. With effort, you may harden and become pure.

31-50 points: Your libertarian credentials are obvious. Doubtlessly you will become more extreme as time goes on.

51-90 points: You are a medium-core libertarian, probably self-consciously so. Your friends probably encourage you to quit talking about your views so much.

91-130 points: You have entered the heady realm of hard-core libertarianism. Now doesn't that make you feel worse that you didn't get a perfect score?

131-159 points: You are nearly a perfect libertarian, with a tiny number of blind spots. Think about them, then take the test over again. On the other hand, if you scored this high, you probably have a good libertarian objection to my suggested libertarian answer. :-)

160 points: Perfect! The world needs more like you.

82Marine89
11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Your Libertarian Purity Score

Your score is...

31-50 points: Your libertarian credentials are obvious. Doubtlessly you will become more extreme as time goes on.

Libertarian credentials? More extreme?

truthmatters
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM
33 points for me.

musicman
11-25-2007, 12:50 PM

As these kinds of tests go, this one was pretty well constructed. Still, though, I had to choose "no" several times - only because a blanket "yes" wouldn't have done(and vice-versa).

truthmatters
11-25-2007, 01:08 PM
same here.

82Marine89
11-25-2007, 01:20 PM
and here.

pegwinn
11-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Your score is...

47 / 43

Libertarian credentials? More extreme?

Ditto. I am a lazy typist today. I also found too many yes/no answers where yes was the right idea but not selected because the question was too extreme to be a 100% therein.

Roadhouse158
11-25-2007, 04:23 PM

What I've noticed more and more is that people who vote conservative are PERSONALLY more liberal, or libertarian. I am...I have no problem being nice and civil to everybody. I have no problem living in a mixed neighborhood. I have a couple of gay people, black people and some Hispanics in my neighborhood. I never even used to think about it. However, one of my neighbors, who is gay and very, very liberal talks about it a lot....He doesn't know what to think about living in a mixed area. In my experience...People who are liberal don't really want to be bothered by everyone else, but they want the government to allow equality and such, but people that vote conservative are more open minded than they are given credit for; but they want the government to have laws and uphold what they think is morally right.

Kathianne
11-25-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm waiting for Jeff, he's likely to score higher than I did. :coffee: I agree with you RH, while I'm quite conservative regarding government, personally not so much so. I don't have a problem with those different than myself, as long as I'm not uncomfortable.

As for someone being gay, that's their deal. However, when anyone gay or strait starts talking about their sex life, I'm uncomfortable. Likewise with most other issues that fall under 'social'.

11-25-2007, 06:37 PM
i was unaware that libertarians were anarchists. because that tests sure implies it.

glockmail
11-25-2007, 08:27 PM
41/160

Kathianne
11-26-2007, 03:46 AM
i was unaware that libertarians were anarchists. because that tests sure implies it.

Well at the extreme end you have Ron Paul, but to get to the extreme of libertarianism I think one probably picks up other issues. With the exception of no government, no military, no regulations, libertarianism is a pretty good philosophy for political thinking.

glockmail
11-26-2007, 08:47 AM
I wonder at how many self described libertarians have actually read the party platform? I doubt many have. Its a fine example of taking a good idea to its extremes and ending up with a load of crap.

Roadrunner
11-26-2007, 01:33 PM

Hobbit
11-26-2007, 01:37 PM
I wonder at how many self described libertarians have actually read the party platform? I doubt many have. Its a fine example of taking a good idea to its extremes and ending up with a load of crap.

'libertarian' is a reasonable ideology of minimized state government and power as decentralized as possible.

'Libertarian' is a whack-job political party that may as well rename itself the 'Anarchist' party.

Hagbard Celine
11-26-2007, 01:58 PM

LOki
11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
i was unaware that libertarians were anarchists. because that tests sure implies it.I agree.

JackDaniels
11-27-2007, 04:45 PM

91-130 points: You have entered the heady realm of hard-core libertarianism. Now doesn't that make you feel worse that you didn't get a perfect score?

JackDaniels
11-27-2007, 04:48 PM

Most Libertarians are not anarchists. However, that particular test may give off that vibe with its blanket yes or no answers.

A couple questions on there were kind of ridiculous.

JackDaniels
11-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Well at the extreme end you have Ron Paul, but to get to the extreme of libertarianism I think one probably picks up other issues. With the exception of no government, no military, no regulations, libertarianism is a pretty good philosophy for political thinking.

In terms of Libertarianism, Ron Paul is not even close to being an extreme Libertarian.

hjmick
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM

glockmail
11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Most Libertarians are not anarchists. However, that particular test may give off that vibe with its blanket yes or no answers.

A couple questions on there were kind of ridiculous.
The mirror's an ugly thing for you, ain't it?

JackDaniels
11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
The mirror's an ugly thing for you, ain't it?

No. You obviously do not understand the first thing about libertarianism.

As someone who is involved heavily in libertarian caucus and the Libertarian Party, I am telling you that we are not anarchists.

glockmail
11-27-2007, 10:16 PM
No. You obviously do not understand the first thing about libertarianism.

As someone who is involved heavily in libertarian caucus and the Libertarian Party, I am telling you that we are not anarchists. If you answer every one, or nearly so, of those questions in the affirmative you are.

JackDaniels
11-28-2007, 12:53 PM
If you answer every one, or nearly so, of those questions in the affirmative you are.

How dumb are you?

The point of my original post was that to answer in the affirmative in that particular test doesn't mean you are a Libertarian. I was agreeing with Avatar...the test is biased towards anarchists. However, to actually believe that all Libertarians are anarchists is simply ignorant and uneducated.

glockmail
11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
How dumb are you?

The point of my original post was that to answer in the affirmative in that particular test doesn't mean you are a Libertarian. I was agreeing with Avatar...the test is biased towards anarchists. However, to actually believe that all Libertarians are anarchists is simply ignorant and uneducated.You need to take that up with the author of the poll. I'm taking it at face value.

And I've lived near a town that was run by a libertarian board. It was anarchy.

JackDaniels
11-28-2007, 01:24 PM
You need to take that up with the author of the poll. I'm taking it at face value.

It's not a poll. Any educated person understands that just because someone made a test, that doesn't completely rewrite hundreds of years of political philosophy.

And I've lived near a town that was run by a libertarian board. It was anarchy.

What part of "that doesn't make libertarianism anarchy" don't you understand?

Of course, you are also the guy who is completely ignorant of the fact that Bob Barr has completely disavowed himself with the Republican Party, is on the board of the Libertarian National Committee, will be the keynote speaker at the 2008 LP convention and has a link to the ALCU on his website.

manu1959
11-28-2007, 01:46 PM
took the "quiz"

got a 48......

it would be an interesting place to live if everything on that list occured.....

no gov't servcies everything privatized......

first thing i thought of was somalia......

JohnDoe
11-28-2007, 03:57 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your score is...

glockmail
11-28-2007, 03:59 PM
It's not a poll. Any educated person understands that just because someone made a test, that doesn't completely rewrite hundreds of years of political philosophy.

What part of "that doesn't make libertarianism anarchy" don't you understand?

Of course, you are also the guy who is completely ignorant of the fact that Bob Barr has completely disavowed himself with the Republican Party, is on the board of the Libertarian National Committee, will be the keynote speaker at the 2008 LP convention and has a link to the ALCU on his website.

So Bob's gone off the deep end at the end of his career. Thomas Jefferson did the same thing.

JackDaniels
11-28-2007, 04:40 PM
So Bob's gone off the deep end at the end of his career. Thomas Jefferson did the same thing.

Thanks for ignoring the rest of the post. Shows your intellectually capacity.

glockmail
11-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for ignoring the rest of the post. Shows your intellectually capacity. You're welcome. :pee:

5stringJeff
11-29-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm waiting for Jeff, he's likely to score higher than I did. :coffee: I agree with you RH, while I'm quite conservative regarding government, personally not so much so. I don't have a problem with those different than myself, as long as I'm not uncomfortable.

As for someone being gay, that's their deal. However, when anyone gay or strait starts talking about their sex life, I'm uncomfortable. Likewise with most other issues that fall under 'social'.

Sorry, I've been busy with school lately. :)

Kathianne
11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Sorry, I've been busy with school lately. :)

You didn't beat me, I'm disappointed. :laugh2: Luckily a few others did, so I'm not the outlier. ;)