View Full Version : Major League Baseball

dirt mcgirt
01-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Ripken, Gwynn elected to Hall of Fame as McGwire falls far short
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
January 9, 2007

AP - Jan 9, 2:06 pm EST
More Photos

NEW YORK (AP) -- Mark McGwire fell far short in his first try for the Hall of Fame, picked by 23.5 percent of voters while Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. easily gained baseball's highest honor.

Tarnished by accusations of steroid use, McGwire appeared on 128 of a record 545 ballots in voting released Tuesday by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

Ripken was picked by 537 voters, appearing on 98.5 percent of ballots, falling just short of the record percentage of 98.84 set by Tom Seaver when he was selected on 425 of 430 ballots in 1992.

Gwynn was just behind with 532 votes, 97.6 percent, after compiling 3,141 hits and a .338 batting average during his 20-year career with the San Diego Padres.

"It's an unbelievable feeling to know that people think that what you did was worthy," Gwynn said during a telephone conference call.

Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games to break Lou Gehrig's major league record of 2,130, and set a new standard for shortstops with 431 home runs and 3,184 hits for the Baltimore Orioles.

Goose Gossage finished third with 388 votes, falling 21 shy of the necessary 409 for election. Jim Rice was fourth with 346, followed by Andre Dawson (309), Bert Blyleven (260), Lee Smith (217) and Jack Morris (202).

McGwire was ninth, followed by Tommy John (125) and Steve Garvey (115), who was in his final year of eligibility.

McGwire's dismal showing raises doubts about whether he will ever get elected -- players can appear on the BBWAA ballot for 15 years -- and whether the shadow of steroids will cost Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and Rafael Palmeiro places in Cooperstown.

"I think it's a big, dark cloud, obviously, that's hanging over the game," Gossage told ESPN after the announcement. "I really don't know what to think of this steroids era."

Jose Canseco, on the ballot for the first time, received six votes, well below the 5 percent threshold needed to stay on future ballots. In his book two years ago, Canseco accused McGwire and others of using steroids. The book's publication was quickly followed by a congressional hearing on steroids during which McGwire evaded questions, saying: "I'm not here to talk about the past."

Harold Baines, who received 29 votes, reached the 5 percent threshold. Bret Saberhagen got seven votes in his first appearance on the ballot and Ken Caminiti, who admitted using steroids during his career and died in 2004, received two.
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AghJvhUuhUncUxtl_jRzFdARvLYF?slug=ap-halloffame&prov=ap&type=lgns

Insein
01-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I say those writers are all hypocrits. They build these guys up to superhuman status then love to tear them down. I say McGwire should be in the Hall. All the other schlubs that got in, McGwire still hit the damn ball. Bonds will make it in and so should McGwire.

01-09-2007, 03:22 PM
i havent even heard of any of the other nominees... (other than the top two) They any good? Isnt saying much for McGuire when im sure he has more name recognition than alot of others.

jackass
01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
I say those writers are all hypocrits. They build these guys up to superhuman status then love to tear them down. I say McGwire should be in the Hall. All the other schlubs that got in, McGwire still hit the damn ball. Bonds will make it in and so should McGwire.

He will make it in. I say in the next year or two.

dirt mcgirt
01-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I hear ya. For some reason Cooperstown has higher integrity standards then the other sports. Lots of old-timer traditionalists in the Baseball Writers Association of America. I'd say more than two-thirds of them probably wouldn't even consider a DH for the HOF.

He will make it in. I say in the next year or two.
Agreed. I think the writers were ready to punish Big Mac for not coming clean at the hearings and deny him on the first ballot but I'm pretty sure they're going to vote him in next year or the following year. Sosa and Palmiero probably won't get in. Bonds will probably get in on the first shot if the BALCO allegations don't go to trial.

5stringJeff
01-09-2007, 07:05 PM
How about Pete Rose!? He should have been in years ago.

jimnyc
01-09-2007, 07:52 PM
How about Pete Rose!? He should have been in years ago.

Agreed, big time! Pete's getting the shaft. I hope someone changes this while the man is still alive. Regardless of his actions, the man had what, over 4,000 hits? I idolized the man growing up as a ball player. I also watched when he was scrutinized for his baseball gambling. I can separate the 2, and his accomplishments on the field shouldn't be overlooked.

McGwire will get in before his time runs out but he would have been a likely first year entrant if it weren't for the roids.

McGwire might have hit some bombs, as well as Bonds, but Gwynn had to be one of the best hitters I've ever watched in my time.

CockySOB
01-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Steve Garvey should definitely be in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the best all-round first basemen to play the game. He was a staple for the Dodgers back when they knew how to play baseball.

Tommy John and Mark McGuire should both make it eventually. Tommy John was a helluva fireballer. And regardless of the "cloud" over McGuire's achievements, the guy was a remarkable player. Hell, how many Olympians go professional and actually do anything notable?

BTW, I would expect that if McGuire was held out on the first round over suspicion of using steroids, then Bonds shouldn't get in on his first try either.

jimnyc
01-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Steve Garvey should definitely be in the Hall of Fame. He was one of the best all-round first basemen to play the game. He was a staple for the Dodgers back when they knew how to play baseball.

Been a Dodgers fan my whole life, so I agree with you. When we got to choose who we were playing wiffle ball as kids I was always Garvey!:)

dirt mcgirt
01-12-2007, 12:17 AM
How many baseball fans we got here? Anyone interested in playing in a members only, free Fantasy Baseball League?

01-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Agreed, big time! Pete's getting the shaft. I hope someone changes this while the man is still alive. Regardless of his actions, the man had what, over 4,000 hits? I idolized the man growing up as a ball player. I also watched when he was scrutinized for his baseball gambling. I can separate the 2, and his accomplishments on the field shouldn't be overlooked.

McGwire will get in before his time runs out but he would have been a likely first year entrant if it weren't for the roids.

McGwire might have hit some bombs, as well as Bonds, but Gwynn had to be one of the best hitters I've ever watched in my time.

McGwire and Bonds might have hit some bombs, but keep an eye on Ryan Howard. that man can kill them, and he isnt on roids.

dirt mcgirt
01-12-2007, 09:50 AM
McGwire and Bonds might have hit some bombs, but keep an eye on Ryan Howard. that man can kill them, and he isnt on roids.
Howard's a phenom. His bat alone kept them in the wild card hunt until the end (I wonder if keeping Abreu would have gotten Philly just one more game or two and landed them in the postseason.) Unfortunately McGwire and Bonds have made it so that there's a lingering suspicion for anyone who hits more than 50. There's no reliable testing for HGH and they even hinted at a Pujols-HGH connection after Grimsley got busted. It's sad that Howard's not going to have the benefit of the doubt because of the steroid era.

My main concern for Howard is his weight. He's got a naturally huge frame and if he lets himself go he could turn into another Mo Vaughn. But the sky's the limit for him if he stays fit and healthy.

Phillie's starting pitching should be stable this year with Freddy Garcia signed and Moyer coming back. Myers should be solid again. Adam Eaton is a decent no. 3 or 4 and should be like Wolf except he won't be on the DL. Hamels should come back strong as the 4 or 5 and Flash Gordon is a dependable closer. The mid-relief is going to suck though. Relief pitching and 3rd are the main holes for the Phils this year but they should be wild card contenders (I don't think they can take the Mets.)

Insein
01-12-2007, 02:37 PM

Problem is that he started so late. I don't think he'll catch them simply because of time.