PDA

View Full Version : Natural disasters have quadrupled in two decades: study

stephanie
11-26-2007, 02:53 AM
good grief...I guess I better start waking up every morning and go and make sure the sky is still "UP", and not laying on the ground..:poke:

Sun Nov 25, 9:33 AM ET

LONDON (AFP) - More than four times the number of natural disasters are occurring now than did two decades ago, British charity Oxfam said in a study Sunday that largely blamed global warming.

"Oxfam... says that rising green house gas emissions are the major cause of weather-related disasters and must be tackled," the organisation said, adding that the world's poorest people were being hit the hardest.

The world suffered about 120 natural disasters per year in the early 1980s, which compared with the current figure of about 500 per year, according to the report.

Snip..
Oxfam urged Western governments to push hard for a deal on climate change at a key international meeting that runs December 3-14 on the Indonesian island of Bali.

Snip..
Rich Western nations and the United Nations must act to "make humanitarian aid faster, fairer and more flexible and to improve ways to prepare for and reduce the risk of disasters," it said.

read the whole article..
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071125/sc_afp/britainweatherclimate

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 03:02 AM
Are you scared, staphy?

"good grief...I guess I better start waking up every morning and go and make sure the sky is still "UP", and not laying on the ground.."

Vote for someone that cares about your environment is the only solution I can offer you.