View Full Version : Arlington Wreath Project

stephanie
11-26-2007, 04:23 AM
:clap::salute:

Arlington Wreath Project

One man's mission to honor America's heroes

American Profile, 11/25/07
By Tracy Leinberger-Leonardi

On a cold December day, a crowd of more than 1,000 volunteers—from civilians and soldiers to toddlers and senior citizens—waits quietly, solemnly at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va. In the distance they hear the low rumble of a tractor-trailer filled with 5,000 wreaths as it bursts through the morning’s dense fog making its way toward them. As the trailer comes to a stop, it marks the completion of a 750-mile journey from Harrington, Maine (pop. 882), to Arlington, where volunteers prepare to honor our nation’s departed heroes by adorning their graves with wreaths.

An idea is born

The creator of the annual holiday tribute is Morrill Worcester, owner of the Worcester Wreath Co. in Harrington. In 1992, his company was constructing a second wreath factory and he knew from past experience that area artisans would stop by the construction site to offer their homemade wreaths for sale. Worcester thought he might need the extra wreaths, so he instructed his carpenters to buy any of the holiday ornaments that artisans brought by.

“I had forgotten all about it until Monday, Dec. 10, when a carpenter asked me what I wanted him to do with all the wreaths. I didn’t need them!” says Worcester, 56, with a laugh. “It was too late in the season, but they were nice, fresh wreaths, so I thought of Arlington.”

Worcester first visited Arlington National Cemetery when he was 12 years old. As a paperboy, he won a trip as part of a contest that rewarded his outstanding sales efforts. More than 40 years later, he still can recall the feeling that flooded over him when he looked out across the sea of white marble tombstones.

“The enormity of it all hit me right then,” Worcester says. “It stuck with me, just how very, very lucky we (Americans) are.”

To get things started, he called a friend, who donated a tractor-trailer to transport the wreaths, and then got the OK from officials at the cemetery to adorn the graves with the wreaths. With the help of a dozen friends, Worcester donated 5,000 wreaths that were laid on the headstones during a six-hour period in December 1992. It was the beginning of what is now known as the Arlington Wreath Project.

A growing effort

read the rest...
http://uscavonpoint.com/blogs/reconstructing_iraq/archive/2007/11/24/9851.aspx

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 04:26 AM
Too bad the prez had to send a stand in to honor the heroes. I quess he just didn't have the time.

stephanie
11-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Too bad the prez had to send a stand in to honor the heroes. I quess he just didn't have the time.

:salute:

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 04:47 AM
I know what you mean.

:salute:

You're not the first flag waver and otherwise anti-military one that I've met.

stephanie
11-26-2007, 04:50 AM
:cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 04:56 AM
:pee:

stephanie
11-26-2007, 04:57 AM

stephanie
11-26-2007, 05:00 AM
We can show our appreciation for all of past military personal who sacrificed for our freedoms...

G0d Bless them....:salute:

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Appreciation without demonstration is no appreciation at all, staphy.

We can show our appreciation for all of past military personal who sacrificed for our freedoms...

G0d Bless them....:salute:

How have you demonstrated your appreciation?

God Bless Them!!!!!!!!:salute:

stephanie
11-26-2007, 05:13 AM

I am going to speak for our lost relatives here who told us...don't give up your freedoms...Remember us you ancestors...we fought AND DIED FOR THIS...

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 05:19 AM
Your sentiment is not in question here, staphy.

I am going to speak for our lost relatives here who told us...don't give up your freedoms...Remember us you ancestors...we fought AND DIED FOR THIS...

What's the prob with you and your prez's actions that cause the rest of us to doubt your sincerity? I've got my own ideas about it. Prove me incorrect.

on edit: Oops!!!! I forgot the emoticons and they ain't available on edits!!!!!!!

stephanie
11-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Your sentiment is not in question here, staphy.

What's the prob with you and your prez's actions that cause the rest of us to doubt your sincerity? I've got my own ideas about it. Prove me incorrect.

on edit: Oops!!!! I forgot the emoticons and they ain't available on edits!!!!!!!

:dance::cheers2::poke:

Psychoblues
11-26-2007, 05:33 AM
:lame2::cheers2::salute:

:dance::cheers2::poke:
:dance::pee::poke:

stephanie
11-26-2007, 05:38 AM
yeah for physio...he rocks...:cheers2::salute:

Psychoblues
11-29-2007, 01:56 AM
I love your new avatar!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah for physio...he rocks...:cheers2::salute:

But I don't think Hillary is nearly as worried about testicles in a lock box as someone like you are!!!!!!!! Don't you know?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

theHawk
11-30-2007, 12:42 PM

You truely are a total shitbag psycho.

I'd like to know how YOU have demonstrated your appreciation!

Any positive story about the military and psycho will be there to exploit the situation to spew out his regurgitated policital garbage.

We're tired of your phony outrage of Bush.

Here's to the troops -:salute:

Here's to psycho :fu:

Psychoblues
12-01-2007, 11:38 PM
I got your neg rep, hawk. I demonstrate my appreciation for our troops and our veterans 24/7.

You truely are a total shitbag psycho.

I'd like to know how YOU have demonstrated your appreciation!

Any positive story about the military and psycho will be there to exploit the situation to spew out his regurgitated policital garbage.

We're tired of your phony outrage of Bush.

Here's to the troops -:salute:

Here's to psycho :fu:

Here's to the troops - :salute:

Here's to you - :fu:

Why do you ignore so much and relate so little?