PDA

View Full Version : Driving Miss 16 Year Old

Abbey Marie
11-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Can anyone get me a prescription for a sedative? It is sooo hard to be in the car with my Learner's Permit-carrying daughter at the wheel. I thought I could be the cool mom, but it is more of a white-knuckle experience. Those of you who have been through this must know what I am talking about.

Example:

She is turning left into the Mall, and asks me, which lane do I turn into? We are going to a store to the left of the ingress road, so I say "The left-most lane".

She proceeds to turn into the left-most lane all right: on the other side of the yellow line- into oncoming traffic exiting the mall. I think that one aged me an extra month or so. What exactly do they learn in Driver's Ed?

Guernicaa
11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
I was pretty bad when I started a few years back.
Dented the front of my dads car, and had a lot of close calls.

Is she going to take drivers ed? It's good because it helps you, and reduces your insurance.
In drivers ed (my teacher was laid back) he just took us around the first few times and taught some things, and after that just let us all take turns driving as we coasted through drive through windows.

shattered
11-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Can anyone get me a precription for a sedative? It is sooo hard to be in the car with my Learner's Permit-carrying daughter at the wheel. I thought I could be the cool mom, but it is more of a white-knuckle experience. Those of you who have been through this must know what I am talking about.

Example:

She is turning left into the Mall, and asks me, which lane do I turn into? We are going to a store to the left of the ingress road, so I say "The left-most lane".

She proceeds to turn into the left-most lane all right: on the other side of the yellow line- into oncoming traffic exiting the mall. I think that one aged me an extra month or so. What exactly do they learn in Driver's Ed?

That red means stop, green means go, and yellow means punch it. :D

JohnDoe
11-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh gosh.....having no children, I don't think I can help, other than when I was 16, my dad took me to the school parking lot and the mall and back dirt roads to practice, when the school and the mall were NOT OPEN first, before he ever took me out in to traffic....plus I had driver's ed in school before he ever took me out to practice.

I still think it was a white knuckle situation for him, but probably not NEARLY as stressful as the situation you just went through!!!!!! I had the problem of always going out to the right before making a left hand turn....and taking turns way to quickly....damn near gave him high blood pressure and a heart attack!

Valium works well to calm the nerves.

jd

PostmodernProphet
11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
She proceeds to turn into the left-most lane all right: on the other side of the yellow line- into oncoming traffic exiting the mall.

/chuckles....went through all that last year......rule #1, learn to answer all questions with "Correct".....if they say "Do I have to turn left" and you say "That's right", they will invariably turn right.....

gabosaurus
11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
I came close to killing my dad while I was learning to drive. I was in my "complete teenage blonde" stage and kept getting confused. He finally gave up and left the learning supervision to my sister.
You have to be VERY patient with new drivers. Some (like me) are worse than others.
My husband still doesn't like to drive with me.

Pale Rider
11-26-2007, 07:13 PM
Can anyone get me a precription for a sedative? It is sooo hard to be in the car with my Learner's Permit-carrying daughter at the wheel. I thought I could be the cool mom, but it is more of a white-knuckle experience. Those of you who have been through this must know what I am talking about.

Example:

Wow.... :eek:

I never had to teach anybody how to drive. I'd probably be just like you Ab... white knuckled.

I drove everything under the sun well before I had a drivers license. Mini bikes, go karts, motorcycles, trucks, tractors. I guess one of the benefits of growing up on a farm.

Find a big empty parking lot Ab.

glockmail
11-26-2007, 07:16 PM

Example:

She proceeds to turn into the left-most lane all right: on the other side of the yellow line- into oncoming traffic exiting the mall. I think that one aged me an extra month or so. What exactly do they learn in Driver's Ed? I just taught my son. As in most other things that I have taught him, I made it into a competition by bragging on my "precision", then demonstrating backwards parking into a space, and noting the correct and final position, perfectly centered and front bumper 6" from the stop line. I also show him other drivers screw ups, and of course make fun of them. This has made him really concentrate on getting it right.

KEEP AWAY FROM THE MALL. I am on record here as saying that this is the most dangerous place on earth to drive. People are focused on getting to some store, parking as close to the clsest door as possible, and basically thinking about everything except driving. Instead, take her down to some empy parking lot and along some country back roads.

Kathianne
11-26-2007, 09:01 PM

Example:

Abbey, my daughter now 25 is ADD, (not adhd, that's my older son. ;) ) Her driver's ed teacher had a heart attack while she was driving, not to say that was her fault. :coffee: While trying to get the 25 hours behind-the-wheel required then, I took her driving. She wanted to go to the Jewel, our grocery. She'd been there 100 times at least. By car, on foot, by bicycle. 2 turns, that was it. Made one turn, she proceeded to drive another 20 miles before I finally asked, "Where do you think the Jewel is?" She said, "Whoops, why didn't you say anything?" Actually she screamed at me. :cheers2:

She got her license at 18. I just was afraid she'd take a car with a full tank and we'd get a call when she ran out. Actually it really did take her awhile. When she did get her license, she took the youngest out 'Christmas shopping' to a mall about 6 miles away. My son called me and said they were in Elgin, about 90 miles away. I heard my daughter in the background saying, "We're not lost, I know the way."

Yeah, I pay a surcharge for her on my insurance.

Abbey Marie
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
I was pretty bad when I started a few years back.
Dented the front of my dads car, and had a lot of close calls.

Is she going to take drivers ed? It's good because it helps you, and reduces your insurance.
In drivers ed (my teacher was laid back) he just took us around the first few times and taught some things, and after that just let us all take turns driving as we coasted through drive through windows.

That's the thing- she just took driver's ed in September & October, and with very little actual driving time, got her permit. I knew we were in trouble when the teacher asked her to get us to teach her so she would know how to drive before driver's ed started. It seems like he taught her some wacky things, and very little of actual use.

Missileman
11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
That's the thing- she just took driver's ed in September & October, and with very little actual driving time, got her permit. I knew we were in trouble when the teacher asked her to get us to teach her so she would know how to drive before driver's ed started. It seems like he taught her some wacky things, and very little of actual use.

Definitely get her some more time behind the wheel before letting her drive in traffic. I would think school parking lots would be fairly empty on weekends. More wheel time will make her more comfortable operating the car and allow her to concentrate more on the important things...like the rest of us... LOL

Trinity
11-27-2007, 07:40 AM
I started teaching both of my boy's how to drive around the age of 7.....not physically of course but started teaching them where the brake and gas pedals were, what the gears were and what each one did I also talked to them a lot when we are riding in the car about different situations and how they should be handled.

Now they are 9 and 11 and have both been allowed to start the car for me and they have been allowed to back the car down the driveway and pull it forward again (I have a really long drive way), with me in the car of course!

My youngest will tell anyone who is driving if the speed limit is 65 and they are doing 70, he says umm you are speeding and you need to slow down. LOL!

But seriously I was a driving instructor about 9 years ago and parent's should not rely on just driver's ed to teach their children how to drive. I worked with a couple of instructor's who took the lazy route and didn't really care it was a job to them that was it.

your best bet if it terrifies you that much, see if you can get another family member to teach her or someone you trust it will remove a lot of stress from you and her.

remie
11-27-2007, 04:01 PM
Abbey listen very carefully. The only way to survive teaching ones daughter to drive is take your car to the shop and have a brake pedal installed on the passenger side. Otherwise you will get all gray and wrinkled.:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Abbey listen very carefully. The only way to survive teaching ones daughter to drive is take your car to the shop and have a brake pedal installed on the passenger side. Otherwise you will get all gray and wrinkled.:laugh2:

:laugh2: Dang, that is some excellent advice, Remie!

KitchenKitten99
11-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I thought I was actually pretty good when I first started driving. My dad was all mr. drama, of course. Problem was though, because my dad was so overprotective of his truck and my step-mom's truck was a manual, I got very little behind the wheel time with my parents-almost none, actually. It was required that you get 20 hours behind the wheel time after you get your permit, which required (i think) 10 days in classroom setting. This 20 hours had to be with a state-licensed instructor, after that, you could get your permit and learn on your own. So even after my 20 hours and my permit test passed with a 100%, my dad refused to let me drive his truck to practice. He told me to just watch him from the passenger seats and learn that way. He wasn't even remotely kidding. I finally had enough money to get my own car, but my dad refused to take me out in it, complaining that I was so bad at it, when in reality, I was pretty good with the basics of control/steering, lane changes, etc. I just needed help remembering some of the smaller details. I don't like to play the blame-game and blame others for my issues, but I believe it to directly his fault that it took me 3 times to get my license. I kept forgetting those minor things and they just added up. Although the 2nd time I failed, the testing clerk was a total ass, and he failed me for something I should not have been failed for, but it wasn't worth fighting. The last test that I passed (with a 96% btw) the clerk was so funny and kept cracking jokes, telling funny testing stories, but telling me where to go and what to do in between. I actually enjoyed myself that I didn't realize what he was doing was relaxing me.

Trinity
11-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Abbey, that is actually very good advice all of the driving instructor's cars have them......for a reason!:poke::laugh2: