PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been a victim of racism? Lets read your example.

glockmail
11-26-2007, 10:33 PM
There was a familiy that lived across the street where I grew up. There was only one child, a boy 2 years older than I. As soon as he moved in my best friend and I invited him to go with us to the Town pool, and we tried to include him in with our group of friends. He came along but was a butt-head the whole time. For this story I'll refer to him as "Sam".

About a month later my buddy and I were eyeballing a brand new '69 Mustang on the street corner. It had a hood scoop, fast back, rear window screen and was the most wicked awesome jet black. It was this ten-year old boy's dream machine. Sam was walking by and we asked him if he liked the car, and I think one of us must have commented on the cool color. He looked at us like he was going to kill us. As he towered over us, we both slinked away, scared shitless.

About a month after that I was riding my bike down the street and Sam is walking on the other side, opposite direction. All of a sudden he's on me, grabs my bike by the handlebars and hurls it across the street, screaming something about a black Mustang! Damn if I nearly shit my drawers as I bolted home on foot, full tilt.

No doubt the kid was unstable, but he was also a violent racist, and I was one of his victims. :fu:

manu1959
11-26-2007, 10:39 PM
didn't get into uc berkeley because i was white.....

glockmail
11-26-2007, 10:43 PM
didn't get into uc berkeley because i was white..... What are you now? :laugh2:

manu1959
11-26-2007, 10:44 PM
What are you now? :laugh2:

old and white....

Kathianne
11-26-2007, 10:46 PM
old and white....

You're not so old, but still white. I am old, still white and female. ;)

Immanuel
11-27-2007, 08:28 AM
In some respects yes.

My family and I travelled to Nashville, TN on vacation one year in the late 80's. We drove out to Memphis one of those days and down into Mississippi. We got to a small town just South of the border and stopped for a late lunch. We were not really paying too much attention and entered a sandwich shop, sat down and waited. We didn't realize it, but we were the only white people around. After a minute or so the waitress hollered across the room at us. I don't remember the exact words, but it was something like "What do you want" and not as in asking what we wanted to eat.

I told her we just wanted some lunch. She more or less told us, not impolitely, that we would be better off going to another restaurant. I told her we were from California and she said, "Yeah? I know".

It was kind of funny and I really wish we had stayed there for lunch but we took the hint and left.

Were the people in the restaurant racist? Maybe to a small extent but then I suppose you can't blame them. I'd say in this case we were victims of the results of racism more than actually racist attitudes of the people we met. They didn't know us and she did not appear to have anything against us. It was more of a warning than anything else. Kind of sad that this happened in the 1980's but it did.

Immie

glockmail
11-27-2007, 08:48 AM
... I'd say in this case we were victims of the results of racism more than actually racist attitudes of the people we met. .... So their racism againt you was justified by some supposed acts by others?

Immanuel
11-27-2007, 08:58 AM
So their racism againt you was justified by some supposed acts by others?

Justified? Is racism ever justified?

No, not justified. However, I look at it like this. I didn't get the impression she was being racist, herself. Rather I got the impression she was saying, "Look, maybe you don't know where you are, but you, your wife and your two little girls are not safe here. It is better for you to leave now before trouble breaks out than to stay and be sorry later."

I don't know for sure that was the attitude that she was using but it was how I felt as I left. Which would mean that we were not the victim of her racism, per se, but rather the results of racism passed down through generations.

Immie

Classact
11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
When I first moved to Puerto Rico I worked for the US Coast Guard at a local Air Station. One day I took my wife and boys, who were maybe two and three at the time to the CG playground. As I was getting ready to leave the Base Security car had pulled in behind my vehicle and the officer demanded my ID. I showed him my work and Army retired ID's... He advised me that the recreation area was for active duty only and I answered that the recreation area was a non-appropriated recreation area and since I was retired from the military I had full rights to use it. He said the Base Commander has a different opinion and returned my ID's and released me.

I wrote a letter to the Base Commander with the facts and he had his Executive Officer call me into his office a couple weeks later. The XO was condescending and the conversation ended when he said the Security Officer was doing his job of keeping the riff-raff out of the recreation area. I wanted to hit him but I smiled and said I though that was the jobs of the guards that control access to this fenced in base?

A couple years later I got the Base Commander an early retirement and his XO sent to Alaska with a letter in his file assuring he would never be considered for promotion. I contacted Vice President Al Gore... he didn't help me but helped the bigots but I did it in spite of Al.

glockmail
11-27-2007, 09:13 AM
How was this racist?

Classact
11-27-2007, 09:27 AM
How was this racist?My wife is Puerto Rican and my youngest son has a little moca tint to his skin.

Gaffer
11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
In the early 80's I got divorced. I got custody of the kids and moved from the Columbus area to near Cincinnati. I had spent 2 and half years working at the state prison in Columbus.

I was in Lebanon Oh. and not far from the prison there. I made a couple of trips down there to apply for work. The personnel guy was really impressed with my resume and experience and wanted to hire me right away but he had to wait for the official openings to be posted. So I waited. When it was posted there were 19 openings to be filled. I called down to see where I stood on the hiring and he explained I would not be getting the job as I was the wrong color. They hired 18 blacks and one mexican. The jobs were filled purely on race alone.

I had to struggle with a pissy job and get food stamps to help feed the kids. As a single parent I was looked down on when applying for the food stamps because I was a man.

That's just two cases. I have had many more including age discrimination.

darin
11-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I can't get promoted because I'm black. I face it daily.

Said1
11-27-2007, 06:40 PM
I've been called whitey and whitebread and some other term (I think an offshoot of the word bannok, which is whitebread :lmao) by indians.

My daughter was called snow whitey by one of the indian children I used to babysit.

Those are just a few examples of the racism I experienced working with aboriginal families. Bastards. :laugh2:

5stringJeff
11-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Living in Hawaii, whites (or haoles, as we are called) are constantly subjectedto racist comments and attitudes by Hawaiians, Pacific Islanders, and Asians.

Hugh Lincoln
12-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Told I couldn't have a job because I was white. Filed complaint, won. See "Coloring the News" by William McGowan.

glockmail
12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
Last night at the wife's Christmas party the all black wait staff gave me a puny, cross grain filet while the two black folk at our table that ordered the same thing both got vertical grain, big juicy ones. After the meal the three blacks at our table got served coffee and we white breads had to ask THREE SEPARATE FUCKING TIMES.

Said1
12-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Last night at the wife's Christmas party the all black wait staff gave me a puny, cross grain filet while the two black folk at our table that ordered the same thing both got vertical grain, big juicy ones. After the meal the three blacks at our table got served coffee and we white breads had to ask THREE SEPARATE FUCKING TIMES.

You're just paranoid. :laugh2:

glockmail
12-02-2007, 10:19 PM
You're just paranoid. :laugh2: No, I don't think so. I was thinking about this, and it's the first time this shit has happened since I moved south.

Our waitress was chatting it up with the black folk, but when she got to my wife and I she was a completely different person.