PDA

View Full Version : English the offical language?

MtnBiker
11-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Should english be the offical language of the USA by law?

If not how many languages should be accepted by merchants and bankers in accepting checks or the printing of finacial statements and receipts?

manu1959
11-26-2007, 11:35 PM
yes

Kathianne
11-26-2007, 11:40 PM

If not how many languages should be accepted by merchants and bankers in accepting checks or the printing of finacial statements and receipts?

Yes. I'm not repping you anymore for a bit, you'll soon think you are as bright as I think you are.

82Marine89
11-26-2007, 11:40 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/82Marine89/Why.jpg

Missileman
11-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Absolutely. Problem is, there are several posters here who are going to have to get their ass back in school.

manu1959
11-26-2007, 11:47 PM
Absolutely. Problem is, there are several posters here who are going to have to get their ass back in school.

not public school..............

gabosaurus
11-27-2007, 12:16 AM
Last time I checked, the U.S. was an English speaking country. What kind of law are you proposing? That everyone HAS to speak English? That would violate the constitutional right to freedom of speech.

Pale Rider
11-27-2007, 12:36 AM

Uncategorically YES!

Pale Rider
11-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Last time I checked, the U.S. was an English speaking country. What kind of law are you proposing? That everyone HAS to speak English? That would violate the constitutional right to freedom of speech.

Hows that? :dunno:

Yurt
11-27-2007, 12:41 AM

Uh, wrong. We are talking about having an official language, e.g., not having to press 1 for english. They can still protest in spanish, but if they want jobs, which are NOT guaranteed under the constitution, then you should have to speak english if the owner wants it that way, more so if you deal with the public. If the owner doesn't, then I will take my business elsewhere.

Same applies if a merchant does not want to accept anything but english. Don't like it, go somewhere else. This country was founded by immigrants who strove to learn english because that is how you get ahead in this country. Enough laziness and spoon feeding.

manu1959
11-27-2007, 12:55 AM

the right is written in english......

Yurt
11-27-2007, 12:58 AM
the right is written in english......

:eek:

11-27-2007, 01:10 AM
yes

JohnDoe
11-27-2007, 01:36 AM
No, it shouldn't be forced upon us....I thought republicans were suppose to be for "small" government? Seems to me that this is just another thing that you are "using" the government to just make it more powerful by forcing your view down other's throat that may not agree.

No, again because there are very loyal Americans, that have their citizenship, that can not speak english fluently. Take my grandparents, who are Italian born, who moved here in their 60's and lived till their 90's here in their beloved country of choice....they could not speak english fluently. It was hard to teach old dogs new tricks....in other words it was very hard for them to learn the English language. My grandfather was better than my grandmother but niether were any where near proficient at it. They knew enough to barely get by....they did get their citizenship here as soon as the law allowed and were VERY PROUD to be American citizens....knew what was going on in the American political arena better than I did because they read an Italian American newspaper in their native language and kept up with everything going on in the grand ole USA.

They got jobs here and worked until they were in their 80's.

And got by with their every day living, by living in an Italian American neighborhood in Brooklyn where most everyone spoke Italian and English as a second language. If you guys are talking about forcing people like my grandparents to speak English and no one to help them along like in this Italian American community, then I think you are wrong, and are selfish or insecure with yourselves.

English already is our native language, it is used everywhere, what exactly are you all proposing? To limit the speech of actual American citizens just because you are uncomfortable with foreign languages?

What happens in China town, are you gonna force them to not speak their native language in their own stores that they bought and own?

Geez, that's pretty authoritarian isn't it? You guys are being silly imo.

Our government can not limit its citizen's speech, the first amendment does not say that the government can limit one's speech if it is not English does it?

jd

MtnBiker
11-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Freedom of speech? That is a weak argument, people can still speak other languages, however english should be the offical language accepted by the government. If not, how many different languages should drivers licenses issued? Should proof of auto insurance be allowed to be printed in other languages if so how many, how many languages should law enforcement be able to read?

JohnDoe
11-27-2007, 02:11 AM
Freedom of speech? That is a weak argument, people can still speak other languages, however english should be the offical language accepted by the government. If not, how many different languages should drivers licenses issued? Should proof of auto insurance be allowed to be printed in other languages if so how many, how many languages should law enforcement be able to read?

But mtn, aren't drivers licences issued in English ALREADY? What IS IT that you want to happen? Is auto insurance printed NOW in other languages and not in English? What do you want this law to say and do, that is not already done? What? What exactly do you want? Do you want to find a way to hurt LEGAL CITIZENS of the United states somehow or are you trying to punish the illegal Mexicans somehow? Again, what are you trying to accomplish? And are you actually proposing that the FEDS get involved instead of it being a State issue?

jd

MtnBiker
11-27-2007, 02:21 AM
State's issue is fine. You are correct licences are already in english, but will it remain that way always? Laws have a way a exsisting not through the legislative process but through a court decision(ie Roe v Wade). It is not unlikely for someone like the ACLU to bring a suit against the state to force other languages to be premitted in offical business and transactions. You brought the point up of smaller government, well exactly how many different languages should the government put to print for their documents?

JohnDoe
11-27-2007, 12:25 PM
State's issue is fine. You are correct licences are already in english, but will it remain that way always? Laws have a way a exsisting not through the legislative process but through a court decision(ie Roe v Wade). It is not unlikely for someone like the ACLU to bring a suit against the state to force other languages to be premitted in offical business and transactions. You brought the point up of smaller government, well exactly how many different languages should the government put to print for their documents?

But as it is now, English is the primary language for any gvt. documentation? If a state has a huge community of Chinese speaking people, who are citizens of the United States, and they feel that it is necessary for them to print something of a government nature in Chinese also, that would help their community of tax paying citizens, then they should have the opportunity to do so, and not have the Feds, stop them in any manner, imho. I say the opportunity, to do so, because it could be that the State Representatives may decide that they don't want the expence of doing such, but it could be that they would find it well worth the expence, so ultimately, it would be a decision "of the people" within the State, to do such.

And again, what is it that you would like to happen with a law that makes English our official language? A ban on all other languages, for any, and all reasons?

I guess I am a little confused on what you and everyone else on this board that said "yes" really wants to happen with this "law" making English an official language?

I suppose because I am up here in Maine, where 97% of the population is English speaking caucasian, and the rest primarily American Indians, I am not understanding the severity of the situations that may exist elsewhere?

jd

Abbey Marie
11-27-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't think anyone is saying people should be forced to speak English. If someone refuses to do so, and likes living in their cultural cocoon, then that is their prerogative. But do not expect corporations or the gov't through taxpayer dollars to cater to that decision.

The main reasons for making English the official langage are two-fold:

1. To take the financial burden off the gov't and corporations to have to print documents in other languages, have multi-lingaul employees to translate, or be coerced into hiring non-English speaking people (as came up in another thread last week). If you think this scenario isn't coming, you are mistaken.

2. To induce those who immigrate here to learn the language. If it is easy not to, they may not bother.

If we do not offer these protections, how many languages must companies, or the gov't offer on all of their documents and in their offices? Three? Six? Twenty-two? Where would you draw the line?

Exaclty what is wrong with having people who move here learn the langauge of our nation? A language, btw, which is known throughout most of the world. It is all a part of the process of becoming an integral part of your adopted nation, and it is a win/win for everyone, no?

My ancestors did not speak English, either. Yes, they got by, primarily because their children did learn Enlgish and helped them out. The big difference is, they never expected the gov't to cater to their choice.

manu1959
11-27-2007, 01:06 PM
in what language should a ballot be printed?

should other languages be allowed?

if so which ones.....

i mean if you can't read and write english should you be able to vote?

JohnDoe
11-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't think anyone is saying people should be forced to speak English. If someone refuses to do so, and likes living in their cultural cocoon, then that is their prerogative. But do not expect corporations or the gov't through taxpayer dollars to cater to that decision.

The main reasons for making English the official langage are two-fold:

1. To take the financial burden off the gov't and corporations to have to print documents in other languages, have multi-lingaul employees ot translate, or be coerced into hiring non-English speaking people (as came up in another thread last week). If you think this scenario isn't coming, you are mistaken.

2. To induce those who immigrate here to learn the language. If it is easy not to, they may not bother.

If we do not offer these protections, how many languages must companies, or the gov't offer on all of their documents and in their offices? Three? Six? Twenty-two? Where would you draw the line?

Exaclty what is wrong with having people who move here learn the langauge of our nation? A language, btw, which is known throughout most of the world. It is all a part of the process of becoming an integral part of your adopted nation, and it is a win/win for everyone, no?

My ancestors did not speak English, either. Yes, they got by, primairly becasue their children did learn Enlgish and helped them out. The big difference is, they never expected the gov't to cater to their choice.

Abbey, I can understand your concern with the government, to a degree.

But Corporations are forced to do nothing regarding language. They have the freedom of CHOICE, to print their own private documentation in another language, as far as I know?

And yes, my mother was my grandparents interpreter for the most part....too, when it came to banking, and doctors appointments etc, but they were too old to learn the English language fluently, and found it very difficult at their age, yet they were honest, good, tax paying, loyal and PROUD American citizens....it was THEIR government too, not just us fluent English speaking Americans government.

And again, what is it that you would like to see happen? Have the Federal government ban the local governments from offering a ballot in the native first language of a community, or something similar to this?

Is this a federal issue, or a states issue?

And yes, I do agree that it is healthy for our country to have those newer citizens learn English, but this takes time....let's see how quickly you can learn to speak and read Chinese if you were in China....

Are you suggesting we leave these huge communities of legal citizens OUT OF THE LOOP completely by not offering them the ability to participate in their legal right to vote, or filing for Medicare, or homestead exemption until they learn the English language fluently?

The local governments are not FORCED to print one of their forms in another language other than English that could help their community, are they? They choose to do so, through their elected representatives and should continue to have the choice to do such if they deem it necessary and worth the expence imho.

The Federal government doesn't have the delegated Power to change this, in my opinion.

It may be that a community government chooses NOT to print in anything other than English because they want to force their local community of legal immigrants to learn the language quicker, and this is okay too.

I still don't understand what it is that you are suggesting? A Federal ban on any State that wishes to print one of their gvt forms in an additional language that may help their community?

jd

jimnyc
11-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I say make it the official language in every aspect. If people are too stupid or too ignorant to come here and learn the language, then let them fall behind in whatever aspects they may as a result. I certainly wouldn't move to a Spanish speaking country and expect them to cater to me because I'm too dumb or ignorant to learn the language they speak.

JohnDoe
11-27-2007, 01:21 PM
in what language should a ballot be printed?In English and if the local community government thinks that another language is necessary for their own citizens, then they should be allowed to make the decision to do such.

should other languages be allowed?Again, yes, if the local government decides there would be a benefit to do such

if so which ones.....That is up to each local government, that has their own local concerns with whatever second language speaking people that are present and are USA citizens

i mean if you can't read and write english should you be able to vote?

Yes, there is no stipulation in our constitution that says that you must speak English in order to have the "right" to vote.

jd

Abbey Marie
11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Schools all over this country offer ESL services, even to adults, and usually for free or very cheaply, I believe.

And to answer JD's question, what do I want to happen? It's what I don't want to happen, and I think I have already answered that. Without a law designating English as the official language, it's almost a guarantee that the ACLU and lawyers everywhere will eventually start suing corporations for denying equal access, discrimination, etc., in not providing translated documents and services. It has happened many times with other issues, and this will not be the exception. Do you really doubt it?

And how about my other question: which languages would we have to offer? Every one that exists in this country? Where would you draw the line? Spanish but not Portugese? German but not Italian? Icelandic? Farsi?

Little-Acorn
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes.

What's that got to do with English becoming the official language of the US?

If English becomes the official language of the US, all it means is that the Fed Govt must print all its documentation in English (as they already do), and that they wouldn't have to print it in Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, German, Swedish, and thirty other languages. This would be a vast improvement. But it wouldn't make people "have to" learn English any more than they already do.

The gummint already requires that aliens applying for citizenship, must pass an English-language test, i.e. they must learn English to some degree. Aliens who come here on green cards and don't want to become citizens, don't have to take the test. Changing that would be another good improvement - make English a requirement for getting a green card.

Aliens who come here by walking across the border, don't have to fulfill any particular requirements, except maybe to stay hidden. And even that one is going down the tubes.

Hmmm, maybe we should build a fence, patrol it, and see what we can do to make the aliens not want to walk across the border any more...?? Wow, what a concept. Wonder why nobody's done it....??

Immanuel
11-27-2007, 02:48 PM

How many languages should WE be forced to learn just to accommodate them? If they are going to come to our land, then they should learn to speak our language just as I would attempt to learn German if I went to Germany for any length of time.

Immie

JohnDoe
11-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Schools all over this country offer ESL services, even to adults, and usually for free or very cheaply, I believe.

And to answer JD's question, what do I want to happen? It's what I don't want to happen, and I think I have already answered that. Without a law designating English as the offical language, it's almost a guarantee that the ACLU and lawyers everywhere will eventually start suing corporations for denying equal access, discrimination, etc., in not providing translated documents and services. It has happened many times with other issues, and this will not be the exception. Do you really doubt it?

And how about my other question: which languages would we have to offer? Every one that exists in this country? Where would you draw the line? Spanish but not Portugese? German but not Italian? Icelandic? Farsi?

It is NOT a federal issue, the community itself would decide by the citizens in their community if an additional language is needed for their forms or whatever that they need in their own communities and it already, locally goes by a percentage of their community I believe.

No one would be forced to do anything as I see it, or maybe in my dream world... ;).

A gvt should have the opportunity to have a japanese writen ballot if they feel it will help their Japanese American citizens, and not print one in Italian if there are no Italian American communities there.

Vote your representation out of office if they do not support what you wish.

I see it unconstitutional for the federal government to dictate to the States on this matter.

jd

CockySOB
11-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Should english be the offical language of the USA by law?Yes.

If not how many languages should be accepted by merchants and bankers in accepting checks or the printing of finacial statements and receipts?One, English.

If you can read this post, thank a teacher.
If you can read this post in English, thank a soldier!