PDA

View Full Version : I Heard The Most Dismail Prediction....

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 01:03 AM
I was watching Nova or something like that, and they were talking about the universe. They said that the universe is expanding, and that it won't stop expanding until the very atoms that make up everything have been ripped apart leaving NOTHING! There will be NOTHING LEFT, NOTHING!

Can that happen?

Hobbit
02-12-2007, 03:36 AM
I was watching Nova or something like that, and they were talking about the universe. They said that the universe is expanding, and that it won't stop expanding until the very atoms that make up everything have been ripped apart leaving NOTHING! There will be NOTHING LEFT, NOTHING!

Can that happen?

Well, I guess that's ONE theory, but I highly doubt it. The prevailing theory, thought true by smarter men than I, is that the universe is still expanding from the Big Bang, but that gravity is slowing down the expansion and it will eventually halt and reverse. Eventually, it will collapse in on itself, forming a superdense microdot, resulting in another Big Bang. If this is true, it is impossible to know how many Big Bangs there have been before us.

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, I guess that's ONE theory, but I highly doubt it. The prevailing theory, thought true by smarter men than I, is that the universe is still expanding from the Big Bang, but that gravity is slowing down the expansion and it will eventually halt and reverse. Eventually, it will collapse in on itself, forming a superdense microdot, resulting in another Big Bang. If this is true, it is impossible to know how many Big Bangs there have been before us.

Yes I've heard that. But this was brand new. They said that they "used to" think the universe expansion was slowing down, but that recent findings have showed them that it's actually speeding up, and that in a gazillion, trillion, septillion years, the force created by this expansion would rip EVERYTHING apart, until even atoms disintegrated.

I'll see if I can find something about this. How dismall. To think that all we know, and all we don't even, will someday NOT EXIST AT ALL. What that does though is make me wonder even more about, WHERE DID IT ALL START? Don't mean to get all religous here, but it makes me think about God, and creating it all. But then I wonder, WHERE DID GOD COME FROM?

Nienna
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
I guess some questions to consider are : is space infinite? CAN expansion continue? and if it continues, won't the effects of gravity lessen?

I find this theory highly dubious. Wouldn't increasing speed of expansion need increasing energy? What about the Law of entropy?

However, I agree that questions like these usually call to mind the question of a Creator. :)

Hagbard Celine
02-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Yes I've heard that. But this was brand new. They said that they "used to" think the universe expansion was slowing down, but that recent findings have showed them that it's actually speeding up, and that in a gazillion, trillion, septillion years, the force created by this expansion would rip EVERYTHING apart, until even atoms disintegrated.

I'll see if I can find something about this. How dismall. To think that all we know, and all we don't even, will someday NOT EXIST AT ALL. What that does though is make me wonder even more about, WHERE DID IT ALL START? Don't mean to get all religous here, but it makes me think about God, and creating it all. But then I wonder, WHERE DID GOD COME FROM?

By then technology will have progressed to Star Wars levels and the Wookies will save us from the expansion.

dan
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
By then science will be ridiculously advanced, which leads to an interesting question: say scientists figure out the exact date that this will destroy the Earth. Do you tell the people? I'd have to imagine it would cause mass hysteria if people knew for sure the exact day that the world would end.

Even though that would probably suck, it'd be sort of a cool way to go.

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 10:16 AM
By then technology will have progressed to Star Wars levels and the Wookies will save us from the expansion.

Was that supposed to be funny? :lame2:

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
I guess some questions to consider are : is space infinite? CAN expansion continue? and if it continues, won't the effects of gravity lessen?

I find this theory highly dubious. Wouldn't increasing speed of expansion need increasing energy? What about the Law of entropy?

However, I agree that questions like these usually call to mind the question of a Creator. :)

When they put up the Hubble telescope, it was supposed to be able to see, "to the edges of the universe", as they said. But instead, all they saw was more of the same. So far away that there's not even a way to know if what they see is still there. The light coming from those places is trillions of light years old.

I don't think man will ever know, "how did all this get here", and ultimately, "how will it all end".

Hagbard Celine
02-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Was that supposed to be funny? :lame2:

http://bestweekever.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/chewbacca.jpg
YYyyyyeeeeeeaaaagggghhhhhhhhheeeesss!

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 10:23 AM
YYyyyyeeeeeeaaaagggghhhhhhhhheeeesss!

Don't quit your day job, you're not funny, and you're not making any points with me.

Hagbard Celine
02-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Don't quit your day job, you're not funny, and you're not making any points with me.

Hey, you're pretty good at your job. How much does being a fucking asshole pay?

5stringJeff
02-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey, you're pretty good at your job. How much does being a fucking asshole pay?

WTF? Cool it.

5stringJeff
02-12-2007, 10:44 AM

Can that happen?

If the universe keeps expanding forever, then eventually stars will burn out, and we'll be left with mostly heavy elements at a temperature approaching absolute zero, at which point atoms will quit moving.

If what Hobbit mentioned were true, and the universe is going through a cycle of expansions/contractions, then the universe woud eventually run out of energy and the same thing would happen.

Hagbard Celine
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks dad.

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks dad.

Just heed the warning. What you said to me was without provocation and unwarranted.

Don't talk to ANYBODY here like that again.

Hagbard Celine
02-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Just heed the warning. What you said to me was without provocation and unwarranted.

Don't talk to ANYBODY here like that again.

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 12:14 PM
FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

No need for this kind of unprovoked language. You were warned. Take a day off.