PDA

View Full Version : rambling thoughts

darin
11-29-2007, 11:40 AM
The case of the teacher who may be punished for letting her class name a teddy bear Mohammed makes me want to buy a stuffed pig for my daughter, and name IT mohammed or Allah.

The Presidential debates are useless in terms of helping me decide who to vote for. They are staged and canned and feel fake. They are NOT debates but advertisements. Why are democrats scared to debate on FOX? Yet, YET to the last man, they all claim they'd be 'tough on defense'. Look, if Sheppard Smith scares you, Mohommad Akhbar or Houz Bin Farteen would leave you shitless.

If we don't get at least one-week worth of snow this winter, I think I'll put forth a gigantic effort to move in 2008.

Hagbard Celine
11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
The case of the teacher who may be punished for letting her class name a teddy bear Mohammed makes me want to buy a stuffed pig for my daughter, and name IT mohammed or Allah.

The Presidential debates are useless in terms of helping me decide who to vote for. They are staged and canned and feel fake. They are NOT debates but advertisements. Why are democrats scared to debate on FOX? Yet, YET to the last man, they all claim they'd be 'tough on defense'. Look, if Sheppard Smith scares you, Mohommad Akhbar or Houz Bin Farteen would leave you shitless.

If we don't get at least one-week worth of snow this winter, I think I'll put forth a gigantic effort to move in 2008.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." -Mohandas Gandhi.

dan
11-29-2007, 12:12 PM

Got nothin for ya on this one.

So, is it the debates you're unhappy with or the democrats' actions?

Personally, I'm so fed up with the whole thing, I've made up my mind that I'm not voting. I've never seen an organizational process more corrupt than the presidential election, and I refuse to take part in it. That said, I'm planning on sitting out most/all of the presidential debates on here, as I feel it's wrong of me to complain/praise anything the president does when I didn't vote one way or the other.

My dad said something pretty smart at Thanksgiving dinner: you don't vote for your candidate anymore, you vote against your opponent's candidate. Sad but true.

Dude, it's November 29th and I'm wearing a T-shirt, I totally feel you.

JohnDoe
11-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I can sympathize and empathize with all of your concerns and ramblings above....

(But this does not mean you and your lady friend will ever change me on how I post or what I say, or how I live or how i view my religion and beliefs so, why not stop trying ?)

:D

jd

Abbey Marie
11-29-2007, 12:34 PM
I can sympathize and empathize with all of your concerns and ramblings above....

(But this does not mean you and your lady friend will ever change me on how I post or what I say, or how I live or how i view my religion and beliefs so, why not stop trying ?)

jd

I wonder what you are implying when you mention a "lady friend". Because in my experience, that is the term for a girlfriend/lover. You wouldn't want to imply that, would you, JD? I don't think you would, because I think that you would have learned a lesson in making scurrilous accusations about someone's fidelity when you accused D of having a bad marriage a while ago. Which, btw, was an example of judging, big time, now that I remember it.

And since you brought it up in your second paragrpah, there is no one on this board, and I mean no one, past or present, who tries to change how people post, talk, or live, as much as you do, JD. :)

darin
11-29-2007, 12:42 PM

jd

Trying to make ANOTHER thread turn to "all about you" eh?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=768&stc=1&d=1196358094

manu1959
11-29-2007, 12:45 PM

not true there will be one guy left that can see

Trigg
11-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Dude, it's November 29th and I'm wearing a T-shirt, I totally feel you.

I was sitting here happily reading this thread until I got to this part.

It is 28 here today.......yes........28, at 3:00 in the afternoon.

At least if it's going to be this freaking cold it could snow. Otherwise my kids won't step foot outside.

-Cp
11-29-2007, 03:17 PM

WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKIN' UNGRATEFUL PIECES OF SHIT IN THAT COUNTRY!! This LADY DEVOTED her Life to help teach their kids! And this is how they treat her!?!?!?

The British Government NEEDS to step in and rescue this poor lady! A small, bad-ass SAS team should be sent in should be given "No Rules of Engagement" - killl any bastards who try and stop you from getting her out!

dan
11-29-2007, 03:36 PM
I was sitting here happily reading this thread until I got to this part.

Yeah, I have that effect on threads.:dance:

Gaffer
11-29-2007, 07:37 PM
WHAT A BUNCH OF FREAKIN' UNGRATEFUL PIECES OF SHIT IN THAT COUNTRY!! This LADY DEVOTED her Life to help teach their kids! And this is how they treat her!?!?!?

The British Government NEEDS to step in and rescue this poor lady! A small, bad-ass SAS team should be sent in should be given "No Rules of Engagement" - killl any bastards who try and stop you from getting her out!

She was convicted and sentence to 15 days in a sudan prison. The British are fuming and using every diplomatic method available to get her out. I'm sure a SAS team is standing by. Sudan is another one that needs to be visited by the Marine Corp.

Yurt
11-29-2007, 11:44 PM

A prune is still a prune.

-anonymous

Yurt
11-29-2007, 11:51 PM

Some rambling from me (I like btw, cuz at the end of the day, I often don't feel like writing essays---again)

A good point. They might try to argue, well, its just politics and we won't talk or deal with "FOX."

YET --> don't they critize Bush for failed diplomacy? They accuse him of refusing to "negotiate" with terrorist states (Iran/Venezuala...), yet, they can't even handle diplomacy with an american television network. They think that FOX is biased and unfair? That makes me feel cozy about their view of WORLD leaders. Do they think that everybody loves us, but for, GWB? Do they really think that it is "only" GWB that makes those sweet muslims hate us?

That scares me. They ignore an American news channel over "principles" yet are willing to open arms to OPEN enemies.

pegwinn
11-29-2007, 11:57 PM
The teacher should have known better. That's harsh I know, but, dammit, she screwed up. Lucky for her that the Brits intervened and she didn't get that flogging.

Never go unarmed into another country if you don't have the local culture down cold.

Snow. Ugh nasty white stuff falling from the sky. Looks great on a postcard. Sucks in real life.

Yurt
11-30-2007, 12:23 AM
The teacher should have known better. That's harsh I know, but, dammit, she screwed up. Lucky for her that the Brits intervened and she didn't get that flogging.

Never go unarmed into another country if you don't have the local culture down cold.

Snow. Ugh nasty white stuff falling from the sky. Looks great on a postcard. Sucks in real life.

Militarily you are right. You might be right if everything is military. Is it?

retiredman
11-30-2007, 10:25 AM

I agree wholeheartedly. WHen you are walking around in a muslim country unarmed, you really need to be aware that you are in a completely different culture where things that would seem heinous to you go unnoticed, and things that seem like everyday occurences to you cause an uproar.

I also agree about the snow. The longer I live in Maine, it seems that the faster the YEARS go by and the slower the winters go by. My wife and I are outa here soon!

darin
11-30-2007, 10:31 AM
...and I'm seriously, physically and emotionally depressed because we DON'T get snow. :(

5stringJeff
11-30-2007, 10:59 AM
...and I'm seriously, physically and emotionally depressed because we DON'T get snow. :(

We've already had 5 inches here. :( Wintertime sucks.

darin
11-30-2007, 11:00 AM
We've already had 5 inches here.

...that's what said.

Hagbard Celine
11-30-2007, 11:09 AM
We've already had 5 inches here. :( Wintertime sucks.

I started a Facebook group called "Wintertime sux."

darin
11-30-2007, 11:14 AM
I started a Facebook group called "Wintertime sux."

ugh...heathen.

I'd like to live in a place with four real seasons - Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. Now I get:

SPRING
summer
AUTUMN
winter

size of the font shows duration.

jackass
11-30-2007, 11:23 AM
ugh...heathen.

I'd like to live in a place with four real seasons - Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. Now I get:

SPRING
summer
AUTUMN
winter

size of the font shows duration.

Try living in SC where you get

Spring/fall
and

SUMMER

darin
11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
ya know? I'd move to South Clackalacky...no problem. But - I'd still miss the snow. :(

jackass
11-30-2007, 11:25 AM
ya know? I'd move to South Clackalacky...no problem. But - I'd still miss the snow. :(

Thats what I thought too....until I had a real SC summer! Man its like living in hell with the heat and humidity on high!

darin
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
True...true... I was there may-july, back in 1997 - holy crap! a DECADE AGO!

Geesh, I'm old. :(

gabosaurus
11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
A -- it is useless to comment on cultures that you don't understand. Or want to understand.

B -- I agree that debates are useless. But why should Dems agree to debate on a network that is openly biased toward Republicans?

C -- I am openly opposed to snow in any form.

Sitarro
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
How about our forecast?

darin
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
A - why is it useless to comment on a culture I want to understand?

Abbey Marie
11-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I would love more of this:

http://www.indianatrails.org/Photos_files/monon_snow.jpg

dan
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Thats what I thought too....until I had a real SC summer! Man its like living in hell with the heat and humidity on high!

Yup yup. I'd like a more mild summer and a longer winter.

Although, this year, apparently, autumn is going to last about a week apparently, then jump straight into winter.

darin
11-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I would love more of this:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=774&stc=1&d=1196443185

Sorry Abbey - just living my fantasy... :D

Hagbard Celine
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
http://www.drunkbastard.net/photos/winter.jpg

Abbey Marie
11-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Sorry Abbey - just living my fantasy... :D

Your pic isn't showing up for me.

Edited to add: Oh, there it is!

-Cp
11-30-2007, 12:57 PM

I think you may need professional help! It's not even winter dude until Dec. 21s.... relax... geez... :)

Trigg
11-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Geez, some of you are real grinches about snow.

I love snow, course I'd love it more if it stayed off the roads, but hey, nothings perfect.

I've lived in Florida and Louisiana - way to hot and the humidity will kill ya, and then there are the bugs, we won't even talk about those nasty things. Give me snow any day. Especially if it's deep enough to take the kids sledding and packing well enough for snow forts.:dance:

The only season I don't like is Spring because all it does is rain around here that time of year.

Hagbard Celine
11-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Geez, some of you are real grinches about snow.

I love snow, course I'd love it more if it stayed off the roads, but hey, nothings perfect.

I've lived in Florida and Louisiana - way to hot and the humidity will kill ya, and then there are the bugs, we won't even talk about those nasty things. Give me snow any day. Especially if it's deep enough to take the kids sledding and packing well enough for snow forts.:dance:

The only season I don't like is Spring because all it does is rain around here that time of year.

We need to build heated roads. Of course then homeless people would sleep in the roads and that would cause all sorts of problems. For car alignments that is :laugh2:

darin
11-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I think you may need professional help! It's not even winter dude until Dec. 21s.... relax... geez... :)

we don't get snow in winter. :(

darin
11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Snow on the roads is just about the best part! :D

Yurt
11-30-2007, 03:57 PM
seattle times says you are supposed to get some this weekend... hope they are right

darin
11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
seattle times says you are supposed to get some this weekend... hope they are right

Yeah - but it's a 'dusting' warning, mostly.

Trigg
11-30-2007, 05:12 PM

You get dusting warnings???????:laugh2::laugh2:

darin
11-30-2007, 05:20 PM
You don't even know the half of it!

< interrupting my favourite show >

"BREAKING NEWS! KOMO-TV Asian reporter Trisha Takanawa is on the scene with what appears to be 'SNOW!'

< cue Trisha >

"...That's right Diane and Tom - I am standing on the side of the freeway beside what appears to be SEVERAL snow flakes resting on a Jersey barrier. "

< cut to man-on-the-street feed >

"I wuz just sittin heer and alluva sudden down they floated. Yup - like colder, softer rain drops!"

< cue Trisha >
"Drivers in the area have already started to abandon their vehicles on the side of the freeway. "

< cut to man-on-the-street-#2 feed >
"...I saw them flakes fallin, and just sorta slammed on my brakes. Ain't NO WAY it's safe to drive around SNOW! The government SHOULD HAVE KNOWN and given us all free helicopter rides to work!"

< cue Trisha > "As you can see, BLIZZARD 2007 is well underway. People are panicing. Seattle Mayor Greg Nichkillssanta has just issued a state of emergency, authorizing doubling of house-hold property taxes to pay for the damage caused by the SEVERE weather...back to you in the studio."

Trigg
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
You don't even know the half of it!

<interupting my favourite show>

"BREAKING NEWS! KOMO-TV Asian reporter Trisha Takanawa is on the scene with what appears to be 'SNOW!'

< cue Trisha >

"...That's right Diane and Tom - I am standing on the side of the freeway beside what appears to be SEVERAL snow flakes resting on a Jersey barrier. "

< cut to man-on-the-street feed >

"I wuz just sittin heer and alluva sudden down they floated. Yup - like colder, softer rain drops!"

< cue Trisha >
"Drivers in the area have already started to abandon their vehicles on the side of the freeway. "

< cut to man-on-the-street-#2 feed >
"...I saw them flakes fallin, and just sorta slammed on my brakes. Ain't NO WAY it's safe to drive around SNOW! The government SHOULD HAVE KNOWN and given us all free helicopter rides to work!"

< cue Trisha > "As you can see, BLIZZARD 2007 is well underway. People are panicing. Seattle Mayor Greg Nichkillssanta has just issued a state of emergency, authorizing doubling of house-hold property taxes to pay for the damage caused by the SEVERE weather...back to you in the studio."

:clap::clap::laugh2::laugh2:

jackass
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
You get dusting warnings???????:laugh2::laugh2:

They will CLOSE school down here if 1 flake falls!!

darin
11-30-2007, 05:26 PM
My daughter's school closed one year because of...a....WARNING OF COLD WEATHER. Was goin to get down into the 10's, F.

They were worried there may be SOME chances of black ice, IIRC.

No crap. :-/

Trigg
11-30-2007, 05:27 PM

They start plowing the roads here as soon as there's accumulation, so school rarely gets closed, unless there is a major storm and then only for a day.

We're more likely to get delayed for blowing and drifting, snow blows real well over the fields.

jackass
11-30-2007, 05:27 PM
My daughter's school closed one year because of...a....WARNING OF COLD WEATHER. Was goin to get down into the 10's, F.

Oh after living here I believe it.

Said1
11-30-2007, 05:29 PM
OMG. You snow lovers are freaks. Its' been snowing here all week. Nothing is accumulating, only grey skies, wet sidewalks and 100 accidents yesterday, alone.

Trigg
11-30-2007, 05:30 PM

The older kids will still be out for recess in the 10's as long as the wind isn't blowing. It's all about the windchill!!

Trigg
11-30-2007, 05:33 PM

In Florida it snowed in Tallahassee(sp?) one year, I thought the world would end listening to the news reports.

All the way down in Tampa my parents pipes froze, they're all above ground down there. There we are on Christmas day thawing out the damn things. I think that was in 89.

darin
11-30-2007, 05:53 PM
The older kids will still be out for recess in the 10's as long as the wind isn't blowing. It's all about the windchill!!

wind chill -schmind chill....above about 50mph, wind chill stops factoring.

Abbey Marie
11-30-2007, 08:01 PM
TTIWWSI

This thread is worthless without Stephanie's input. :)

Yurt
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM

That's the worst! Its like a tease...

pegwinn
11-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Militarily you are right. You might be right if everything is military. Is it?

In one form or another. In all seriousness, if you are going to live and work in a foriegn country you really, really, need to scope out the culture to ensure that you don't screw the pooch.

Yurt
11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
In one form or another. In all seriousness, if you are going to live and work in a foriegn country you really, really, need to scope out the culture to ensure that you don't screw the pooch.

Absolutely true. When I spent a year in the marshall islands (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rm.html) I did everything I could to learn the culture so as not to offend. I didn't go armed, however, I guess I was not in a muslim country. Not that a weapon would have done her any good. Or maybe you were talking about arming yourself with knowledge, and in that case, damn right.

I have feeling though, she did and that this teddy bear thing is absolute boolshitte. If a western farted and it sounded like some muslim word for mooohastohaveit they would simply cut your head off where you stand. My church actually has missionaries in muslim countries, including Iraq. They are very careful.

Since this is a rambling thread.....

Why is it that we have to be "careful" in their countries, but they don't have to give two loonies what they do in our countries? Islam is a victim religion, it simply cannot exist any other way.

pegwinn
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Absolutely true. When I spent a year in the marshall islands (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/rm.html) I did everything I could to learn the culture so as not to offend. I didn't go armed, however, I guess I was not in a muslim country. Not that a weapon would have done her any good. Or maybe you were talking about arming yourself with knowledge, and in that case, damn right.

You are correct about me talking about being armed in both figurative and literal if possible senses. IN my case, when I visited the ME, I was armed to the teeth and stuffed with briefing papers over how to act.

I have feeling though, she did and that this teddy bear thing is absolute boolshitte. If a western farted and it sounded like some muslim word for mooohastohaveit they would simply cut your head off where you stand. My church actually has missionaries in muslim countries, including Iraq. They are very careful.

The higher the rank the thinner the skin is my experience with any clergy of any religion. Your average mamoud in Tajikistan doesn't sweat the "insult" unless the Mullah gets emotional. The local mullah or imam doesn't get real worked up unless his boss's panties are in a wad and so on.

Since this is a rambling thread.....

Why is it that we have to be "careful" in their countries, but they don't have to give two loonies what they do in our countries? Islam is a victim religion, it simply cannot exist any other way.

I cannot speak for civilians since all my traveling was via the DOD travel agency. Our rationale was "Ambassadors In Green" and woe be unto the PFC who screwed the pooch.

I assume our civilians are as dumb as theirs are. Hence the "ugly american" stereotype.

:salute:

Yurt
11-30-2007, 10:58 PM
:salute:

Originally Posted by Yurt
Absolutely true. When I spent a year in the marshall islands I did everything I could to learn the culture so as not to offend. I didn't go armed, however, I guess I was not in a muslim country. Not that a weapon would have done her any good. Or maybe you were talking about arming yourself with knowledge, and in that case, damn right.

You are correct about me talking about being armed in both figurative and literal if possible senses. IN my case, when I visited the ME, I was armed to the teeth and stuffed with briefing papers over how to act.

Most would not think that the papers are necessary, however, they actually are in today's world. I think they bog the person down, but am almost convinced they are a necessity in today's world. (family)

The higher the rank the thinner the skin is my experience with any clergy of any religion. Your average mamoud in Tajikistan doesn't sweat the "insult" unless the Mullah gets emotional. The local mullah or imam doesn't get real worked up unless his boss's panties are in a wad and so on.

Never thought of it that way. Good point.

I
cannot speak for civilians since all my traveling was via the DOD travel agency. Our rationale was "Ambassadors In Green" and woe be unto the PFC who screwed the pooch.

I assume our civilians are as dumb as theirs are. Hence the "ugly american" stereotype.

I understand your non-civilian POV, however, not all civilians are as dumb as they are.

5stringJeff
12-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Three inches of snow last night, with more to come over the next 4-5 days.

pegwinn
12-01-2007, 12:18 PM
Three inches of snow last night, with more to come over the next 4-5 days.

When I finally retire for real, I am gonna move so far south that snow isn't even in the dictionary.

dan
12-01-2007, 03:04 PM
When I finally retire for real, I am gonna move so far south that snow isn't even in the dictionary.

Bienvenidos a Mexico, amigo!:laugh2:

Said1
12-02-2007, 11:00 AM
:dev2:

Winter storm warning in effect.
Today..Cloudy. Periods of snow and local blowing snow beginning this morning. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind becoming east 30 km/h late this morning. High minus 10.
Tonight..Snow at times heavy and local blowing snow. Amount 10 cm. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 50. Temperature rising to minus 5 by morning.
Monday..Snow at times heavy. Amount 15 cm. Local blowing snow in the evening. Wind becoming northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 in the evening. High minus 3.

Nukeman
12-02-2007, 11:09 AM

Today..Cloudy. Periods of snow and local blowing snow beginning this morning. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind becoming east 30 km/h late this morning. High minus 10.
Tonight..Snow at times heavy and local blowing snow. Amount 10 cm. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 50. Temperature rising to minus 5 by morning.
Monday..Snow at times heavy. Amount 15 cm. Local blowing snow in the evening. Wind becoming northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 in the evening. High minus 3.

DAMN!!!

Kathianne
12-02-2007, 11:42 AM

Sort of related, (no warning, yet). The dear daughter's last choir concert at 3pm. It's about an hour away. yesterday we got the snow, ice, rain, ice...

It's raining now, teps will be dropping as the day goes on. Gotta go, but nerves of steel needed! :coffee:

5stringJeff
12-02-2007, 12:12 PM
4.9 inches of snow on the first day of December. It's supposed to snow from now until Thursday. And it's cold too. With the wind chill, it's single digits right now.

darin
12-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Rub it in, J.

:)

We had a snow-globe for about an hour yesterday. Since then, it's been rain. :(

5stringJeff
12-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Rub it in, J.

:)

We had a snow-globe for about an hour yesterday. Since then, it's been rain. :(

If I could telecommute to school, I'd be elsewhere.

darin
12-02-2007, 12:18 PM
find a job for me up there at Drum! :D

JohnDoe
12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Eat your heart out, Snow Lovers :D

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/da7ffb11.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/039abeb9.jpg

Dilloduck
12-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Eat your heart out, Snow Lovers :D

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/da7ffb11.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb279/johndoe_057/039abeb9.jpg

Pretty--but it's a bitch to find your golf ball in that crap---75 degrees her today and 80 tomorrrow.... FORE !!!!!:laugh2: