PDA

View Full Version : Climate change may cost Florida $345 billion a year: study

stephanie
11-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Florida is dooooooooomed..:coffee:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29pm EST By Michael Peltier

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Reuters) - If nothing is done to combat global warming, two of Florida's nuclear power plants, three of its prisons and 1,362 hotels, motels and inns will be under water by 2100, a study released on Wednesday said.

In all, Florida could stand to lose $345 billion a year in projected economic activity by 2100 if nothing is done to reduce emissions that are viewed as the main human contribution to rising global temperatures, according to the Tufts University study.

That equals about 5 percent of what economists project the state's gross domestic product will be by the end of the century.

"The status quo, the climate that we have right now, is not an available option unless we act immediately," said Frank Ackerman, a professor at Tufts' Global Development and Environmental Institute and co-author of the study.

read the rest..
http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN2843026220071128?sp=true

Gaffer
11-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Florida is dooooooooomed..:coffee:

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:29pm EST By Michael Peltier

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (Reuters) - If nothing is done to combat global warming, two of Florida's nuclear power plants, three of its prisons and 1,362 hotels, motels and inns will be under water by 2100, a study released on Wednesday said.

In all, Florida could stand to lose $345 billion a year in projected economic activity by 2100 if nothing is done to reduce emissions that are viewed as the main human contribution to rising global temperatures, according to the Tufts University study.

That equals about 5 percent of what economists project the state's gross domestic product will be by the end of the century.

"The status quo, the climate that we have right now, is not an available option unless we act immediately," said Frank Ackerman, a professor at Tufts' Global Development and Environmental Institute and co-author of the study.

read the rest..
http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN2843026220071128?sp=true

Act now and we'll throw in saving Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana. Yes you get all five states saved for the small price of giving up your car, your way of life and your freedom. Act now while supplies last. Oops I mean shore lines.

stephanie
11-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Is it just me..or does it seem like the yrs. of when we're all gonna die by global warming keep getting lower and lower in these articles....

It started out 20 yrs, went to ten, next week it'll be down to five yrs...

Well..let me say my goodbyes now...in case it happens tonight while we're all asleep...It was nice knowing you all...:cheers2:

:laugh2:

Said1
11-29-2007, 09:47 PM
I really dislike these articles. I can't even begin to describe how dishonest they actually are. Global warming is not the single most significant cause of rising sea levels, which in turn has a negative impact on coastlines. Sheeshh!!!!!!!!

stephanie
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
I agree with you said1...
That's why I post them to show the absurdity of the Global warming extremist....If you notice in every article...there's a DOLLAR AMOUNT of what it will take to turn things around...That's what this whole scam is all about...Not the environment, but extortion...
Those almighty green backs...:cheers2:

Said1
11-29-2007, 10:04 PM
I agree with you said1...
That's why I post them to show the absurdity of the Global warming extremist....If you notice in every article...there's a DOLLAR AMOUNT of what it will take to turn things around...That's what this whole scam is all about...Not the environment, but extortion...
Those almighty green backs...:cheers2:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying 1300 miles of coastline won't be underwater. But go after the people who are developing it, for starters.