PDA

View Full Version : Ghosts and "times" in human existence

typomaniac
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
This thread is as much for Pale Rider as anything else, but I personally still find this a fascinating concept.

I once came across the theory (sorry, but I haven't been able to track down a definitive source for who wrote it originally) that there are "times" for very specific changes in human civilization. For example, when it came to be "steam engine time," there were at least a dozen people trying to invent a practical steam engine simultaneously. Robert Fulton may have received the credit in the history books, or the patent, but there's no explanation for why he and so many others worked on this idea at once.

Similarly, it was "ironclad time" during the 1860s, then "electricity time," "wireless time," and then "nuclear fission time." As if all these ideas didn't come from a single person, but from some kind of collective unconsciousness flowing through humanity.

Of course, there's nothing in today's scientific knowledge that would explain why this should (or reasonably could be expected to) be the case. In a way, however, it makes great evolutionary sense - particularly if one of these inventors dies before his or her work is complete. This wave of intelligence still protects the species.

Which begs the question: do ghosts, if they in fact exist, have anything to do with this phenomenon? What do you all think?

Said1
11-29-2007, 10:13 PM
This thread is as much for Pale Rider as anything else, but I personally still find this a fascinating concept.

I once came across the theory (sorry, but I haven't been able to track down a definitive source for who wrote it originally) that there are "times" for very specific changes in human civilization. For example, when it came to be "steam engine time," there were at least a dozen people trying to invent a practical steam engine simultaneously. Robert Fulton may have received the credit in the history books, or the patent, but there's no explanation for why he and so many others worked on this idea at once.

Similarly, it was "ironclad time" during the 1860s, then "electricity time," "wireless time," and then "nuclear fission time." As if all these ideas didn't come from a single person, but from some kind of collective unconsciousness flowing through humanity.

Of course, there's nothing in today's scientific knowledge that would explain why this should (or reasonably could be expected to) be the case. In a way, however, it makes great evolutionary sense - particularly if one of these inventors dies before his or her work is complete. This wave of intelligence still protects the species.

Which begs the question: do ghosts, if they in fact exist, have anything to do with this phenomenon? What do you all think?

Alot of people who have accomplished things claimed they were guided from 'above'. As though whatever it was they were creating was coming through them, not being created by them. They were merely a channel.

bullypulpit
11-30-2007, 08:15 AM

A number of people were working on the invention of the jet engine simultaneously as well. I think it to be little more than the body of human knowledge reaching a point where any number of people may be developing projects along similar lines. Some have the resources and expertise to bring these ideas to fruition, others don't. As a result, someone introduces the new technology before any one else who might be working on it independently.

Hagbard Celine
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
A number of people were working on the invention of the jet engine simultaneously as well. I think it to be little more than the body of human knowledge reaching a point where any number of people may be developing projects along similar lines. Some have the resources and expertise to bring these ideas to fruition, others don't. As a result, someone introduces the new technology before any one else who might be working on it independently.

Right now, everybody's working simultaneously on finding new ways to make energy. If there is a guiding spirit or muse of innovation, it must've realized that all the previous innovations it spawned have created an energy crisis so it's trying to fix it :laugh:

Gaffer
11-30-2007, 10:14 AM

I have read this speculation too. It's been around since the 70's. Back then they were claiming alien intervention.

Yurt
11-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Is it known that all these people have absolutely no idea what the other is doing? Is it possible that someone started the idea and the others also began working on it? Maybe people were talking about it and word spread.

:dunno:

typomaniac
12-01-2007, 08:11 PM

At any given time, the existing body of knowledge has a huge influence on what's being researched. It's easy to observe that. But does it account for the whole explanation? I'm not sure.

The main thing that gives me doubt is that many new developments aren't at all obvious based on what's been learned recently, and some are downright counter-intuitive. Consider the following quote about the steam engine, spoken in the days of frigates and galleons:

Napoleon
You would have a ship sail against the winds and currents by lighting a bonfire under her deck? I have no time for such nonsense!

Clearly, there is sometimes a "leap" in humanity's thinking that isn't just another logical step.