PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Evel...

hjmick
11-30-2007, 04:43 PM
The guy was a piece of work, an American icon, a daredevil, one of a kind, ahead of his time, and quite a character.

Evel Knievel, dead at 69.

Evel Knievel Dead At The Age Of 69

CLEARWATER, Fla. (CBS) ― The 69-year-old iconic motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel has passed away.

Knievel had been in failing health for years, suffering from diabetes and an incurable condition that scarred his lungs.

Earlier this week Knievel had settled a federal lawsuit with rapper Kanye West. Knievel sued West and his record company last year. He took issue with a 2006 music video for the song "Touch the Sky," in which the rapper takes on the persona of "Evel Kanyevel" and tries to jump a rocket-powered motorcycle over a canyon.

Knievel failed in his attempt to jump the Snake River Canyon in Idaho in 1974.

West's attorneys argued the video amounted to satire, covered under the First Amendment.

"We settled the lawsuit amicably," Knievel said Tuesday. "I was very satisfied and so was he."

Evel Knievel Dead At The Age Of 69 (http://cbs2.com/national/Evel.Knievel.Motorcycle.2.599764.html)

I heard him interviewed a couple of years ago. He was asked that if he knew there was a fifty percent chance that he could die as the result of one of his feats, I believe the feat in question was the Snake River jump, his reply was, "Do you know who the hell I am?"

They don't make them like Evel anymore.

darin
11-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Rip!

-Cp
11-30-2007, 04:47 PM
RIP Dude!

I remember having Evel Knievel toys as a kid...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/grandmaspoils_1977_222698)

Joan
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
RIP Evel - This man was a hero to Jim and John!! One Christmas I had to drive over 80 miles to get the wind up toys for them!

jimnyc
11-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Just read this a few moments ago. How sad. I just saw some pictures of him on a few celebrity sites a few days ago showing pics of him and Kanye West, apparently making up over their feud. He looked fine in those pictures but I have no idea how long ago it was. I had that exact toy that -Cp posted!

Which guy didn't make believe they were Evel at least once while growing up? :)

-Cp
11-30-2007, 04:56 PM
http://www.cesar-dacol-jr.com/ebay/toys/a1%20(39).jpg

jimnyc
11-30-2007, 05:05 PM
You take those yourself, you still have those? Probably worth some $$$!

-Cp
11-30-2007, 05:20 PM
You take those yourself, you still have those? Probably worth some $$$!

No.. heh... found that pic on ebay...

manu1959
11-30-2007, 06:03 PM
saw the snake river jump live!!!!!!!!!!!!

that dude was awsome....

gabosaurus
11-30-2007, 06:29 PM
My dad actually worked at a place where they showed the closed circuit telecast of Evel attempting to jump over the Snake River Canyon. Got to see it for free.

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-01-2007, 12:46 AM
saw the snake river jump live!!!!!!!!!!!!

that dude was awsome....

I watched it live, too, and that day September in 1974 was the first time I ever had to get stitches....little cut on my melon from a daredevil attempt of my own!

My father owns a little bar in Montana, just outside of Butte, MT, and my stepmother has some great stories about Robert (Robbie, as she has called him once or twice).....he was a character and a true American ICON of my generation (I think I am one of the oldest Gen Xers out here)

Gadget (fmr Marine)
12-01-2007, 12:51 AM
My dad actually worked at a place where they showed the closed circuit telecast of Evel attempting to jump over the Snake River Canyon. Got to see it for free.

Hmmmm...that must be NEW math...how does someone who is 23 (from your profile) see something that happened in 1974.....on closed circuit...when it was actually broadcast live on ABC's Wide World of Sports?

Now that is truly "the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat!"

mrg666
12-01-2007, 10:52 AM
http://www.cesar-dacol-jr.com/ebay/toys/a1%20(39).jpg

my two brothers finally killed mine off getting him to do impossible stunts(even for evel )

Hugh Lincoln
12-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Hmmmm...that must be NEW math...how does someone who is 23 (from your profile) see something that happened in 1974.....on closed circuit...when it was actually broadcast live on ABC's Wide World of Sports?

Now that is truly "the thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat!"

Wondering the same...

Hold is are you, gabosaurus?

mrg666
12-01-2007, 05:05 PM

thats the answer