PDA

View Full Version : Headache cures

KarlMarx
12-01-2007, 09:21 AM
I've struggled with headaches most of my life. I've had some whoppers too. They usually occur more in the Spring and Autumn and are more intense then, too.

So for the sake of any DP-ers who also suffer from headaches, here's what I've learned...

1. If you feel a headahce coming on, take something right away. The worst thing you can do is to let it fester... it will very likely get worse and is very unlikely to go away by itself.

2. I've tried different medications over the years, these work for me. Advil, Sudafed and Afrin. I've found Tylenol to be almost useless.

3. If the drugs don't work, then take a long hot shower with the hot water beating on your head.

4. If the hot shower doesn't work then boil up 2 pots of water. Drape a towel over your head and breath in the steam (especially through your nose). When the water has cooled down and the steam has weakened, repeat the process with the 2nd pot of water. While you're using the second pot of water, reheat the first pot of water while you are breathing in the steam. Repeat this as often as necessary.

I found that #4 is very effective and the worst headache will at least get better if not go away entirely. (it helps make your face nice and soft, too!) If I have a very bad headache, I will sometimes have to repeat the process about 10 or 12 times and then, several times over the course of a day.

I've started taking Claritan every day, too. My girlfriend thinks I have allergies and they are causing the headaches. In the two months I've taken Claritan, I gotten fewer headaches, when I do, they are mild ones and are easily treated with Advil and Sudafed.

I hope that this helps someone! Chronic headaches are a downer, it's like having a hangover, but you didn't have a good time getting one!

Gaffer
12-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Does sound like you have sinus headaches as opposed to migraines or something else. I don't get many headaches but when I do they are sinus related. And the steam does work.

Abbey Marie
12-01-2007, 10:12 AM
This is soooo true. And I have found Advil and Excedrin Migraine work best for me.

1. If you feel a headahce coming on, take something right away. The worst thing you can do is to let it fester... it will very likely get worse and is very unlikely to go away by itself.

Classact
12-01-2007, 10:26 AM
This is soooo true. And I have found Advil and Excedrin Migraine work best for me.My dad worked for a farmer that had migraines and he would take the medicine and then lay on his back on a tile floor and that seemed to help him.

Yurt
12-01-2007, 07:05 PM
liquid gel advil helps me the best/fastest.

i know someone who gets migraines and a birth control pill has stopped the migraines. something to do with regulating hormornes.

Cheyenne
12-02-2007, 03:41 PM
You really need to speak to a doctor about this.
If they are true migraines then usually a 'hot tub', not a shower or bathtub will help and sometimes resting in a dark room. A severe allergy causes the brain to swell.

My brother developed a severe headache that lasted for about 1 1/2 years. They finally found medication that would help.

Might be worth the trip.

pegwinn
12-02-2007, 08:37 PM
This sounds weird, but it works for me.

Spread the fingers on your left hand. Note the web between the thumb and the pointing finger. Next, with your right hand, squeeze the web in between the thumb/pointer of the right hand. You have to literally squeeze as hard as you can or can stand. You should notice the headache begin to fade almost immediately. Normally I reverse the process and pressure the right hand as well.

If it is a truly horrible headache, I have had success by wrapping a rubber band around an ordinary clothespin. Then clamp the pin on the webbing. Use another pin for the other side.

I hope this helps.

glockmail
12-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I've struggled with headaches most of my life. I've had some whoppers too. They usually occur more in the Spring and Autumn and are more intense then, too.

So for the sake of any DP-ers who also suffer from headaches, here's what I've learned...

2. I've tried different medications over the years, these work for me. Advil, Sudafed and Afrin. I've found Tylenol to be almost useless.

3. If the drugs don't work, then take a long hot shower with the hot water beating on your head.

4. If the hot shower doesn't work then boil up 2 pots of water. Drape a towel over your head and breath in the steam (especially through your nose). When the water has cooled down and the steam has weakened, repeat the process with the 2nd pot of water. While you're using the second pot of water, reheat the first pot of water while you are breathing in the steam. Repeat this as often as necessary.

I found that #4 is very effective and the worst headache will at least get better if not go away entirely. (it helps make your face nice and soft, too!) If I have a very bad headache, I will sometimes have to repeat the process about 10 or 12 times and then, several times over the course of a day.

I've started taking Claritan every day, too. My girlfriend thinks I have allergies and they are causing the headaches. In the two months I've taken Claritan, I gotten fewer headaches, when I do, they are mild ones and are easily treated with Advil and Sudafed.

I hope that this helps someone! Chronic headaches are a downer, it's like having a hangover, but you didn't have a good time getting one!

Since sudafed releives your symptoms it is very likely that your girl is right. She's a keeper!

remie
12-03-2007, 08:11 AM
This sounds weird, but it works for me.

Spread the fingers on your left hand. Note the web between the thumb and the pointing finger. Next, with your right hand, squeeze the web in between the thumb/pointer of the right hand. You have to literally squeeze as hard as you can or can stand. You should notice the headache begin to fade almost immediately. Normally I reverse the process and pressure the right hand as well.

If it is a truly horrible headache, I have had success by wrapping a rubber band around an ordinary clothespin. Then clamp the pin on the webbing. Use another pin for the other side.

I hope this helps.

Yep that really does work! There is an acupuncture trigger point in that webbing and it will very often give immediate relief.