PDA

View Full Version : No Country for Old Men

dan
12-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Another outstanding movie. I think it really holds up with a lot of the great westerns, but I'm not really a huge fan of westerns so take that with a grain of salt.

Story's pretty simple: in Texas, in 1980, a smalltown guy is hunting in the desert and he comes across a drug deal gone wrong. Among the dead bodies is a briefcase full of money. He takes it. The men who lost the money hire a brutal hit man to get their cash back. I don't even want to say anything else, because the movie has some major twists.

Even though neither one is the star of the movie, Tommy Lee Jones is really good, as is Woody Harrelson (though his part is very small). The real find here, though, was Javier Bardem as the hit man. I've said this before, but to me, the truly scary movie characters are not the Jason or Freddy type, but people who are realistic killers with no motive or remorse. That's what really scares me, because that's what scares me in real life. And his character is really terrifying, not only because he's clearly insane, but also because he probably has stronger morals than any other character in the movie.

As usual with the Coen Brothers, the characters are unique, and the accents are right-on. The storyline did not go as I expected at all, it was very tense and exciting pretty much the whole time. Really good movie, and I mean that for everybody, not just movie nerds like me! Pale Rider, it seemed like something you might like, honestly.