PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

dan
12-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Earlier tonight, I went out for dinner with a couple friends from work. They all wanted to go to a restaurant that's kind of good, but very expensive. It wasn't a special occassion or anything, just eating out on a Saturday night. So, I ended up spending almost $40 just on dinner. Admittedly, I drank two mixed drinks with dinner, but that's still a lot. Nobody else mentioned it, so I didn't either, but that seems ridiculous to me.

So, how much is too much to spend for dinner out, in your opinion?

Missileman
12-02-2007, 01:56 AM
Earlier tonight, I went out for dinner with a couple friends from work. They all wanted to go to a restaurant that's kind of good, but very expensive. It wasn't a special occassion or anything, just eating out on a Saturday night. So, I ended up spending almost $40 just on dinner. Admittedly, I drank two mixed drinks with dinner, but that's still a lot. Nobody else mentioned it, so I didn't either, but that seems ridiculous to me.

What did you have, and was it good?

Sitarro
12-02-2007, 02:33 AM
I go to Pei Wei for a cup of their Hot and Sour Soup, a Spicy Korean Chicken and some sparkling water. It comes to $10.28 and I have some left over brown rice and some of the veggies from the Korean for breakfast in the morning. There are no waiters to have to deal with and I enjoy every bite as much as the first. Not being one that drinks alcohol, not really something I enjoy much, I don't spend any money on the marked up watered down drinks.

It is a near perfect dining experience for me at a very low price..... just above a fast food joint. Oh by the way, their brown rice is incredible. I'm not usually a fan of the darker rice but their's is great. They are a part of the P.F.Changs group and have the same lettuce wraps and a few other things.

dan
12-02-2007, 02:47 AM
What did you have, and was it good?

It was a tapas place, so I had:

* Tuna sashimi: four small slices around a ball of rice, in a ginger sauce.

* Salmon bruchetta: Bread with lemon cream cheese and a thin slice of smoked salmon

* Avocado something-or-other: half an avacado topped with a crab mixture.

And two rum & cokes.

It was good. Not the best meal I ever had, and I hadn't eaten all day, so I was very hungry and I was still a little hungry when I left. But, it was good, and the atmosphere was nice, I suppose.

5stringJeff
12-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Sounds like it was a bit of an upscale place. If your bill was $40, minus tip, tax, and two drinks, I would guess your food was $20-$24. In a place like that, you're paying less for quantity of food, and more for atmosphere, creativity of the chef, etc.

jackass
12-02-2007, 09:53 AM
By the sound of it...I agree, a bit upscale. Its a tad much just to go out to dinner for no reason.

truthmatters
12-02-2007, 10:43 AM
If I pay 40 for one meal it better be the best thing I have ever tasted. I hate shee shee fuu fuu food and refuse to pay prices like that. My family gets a gift card for a kinda shee shee place every year from one of my hubbies customers. Every year we go there and eat and wonder how in the hell the place stays in business. The food is mediocre and the menu is full of boring trendy fare. Even their stand by things like Prime rib and lobster are sub prime. The place is always packed and never fails to unamaze us.

Abbey Marie
12-02-2007, 12:42 PM

I don't think there is one answer to the question. It all depends on the quality of the restaurant, sometimes the occasion, and how much extra money you have for lifes little luxuries.

-Cp
12-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Dan,

I'm all about paying whatever the price for a quantitive food/atmosphere/service experience. In other words, it's not the price - ever - that bothers me; however, there has got to be a matching level of food/atmosphere and service to go along with the amount I pay.

Assuming your drinks were about $6bux each - From the sounds of it, your actual dinner price was only about $20bux - to get fresh fish like that, I'd say that's very reasonable considering the price of fish - especially sushi-grade where they serve it raw like that.

My wife and I were in San Francisco last year - a place called "Aqua" - we did a 9-chourse dinner which had each course paired with a specific wine - the cost was about $160each if I recall. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

Kathianne
12-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I don't think there is one answer to the question. It all depends on the quality of the restaurant, sometimes the occasion, and how much money you have for lifes little luxuries.

I think it's also a reflection of where one lives, cost of living. $40 for dinner and a couple drinks doesn't sound that high to me. Sure I'll pay less at Chili's, Bennigan's, etc., but not much. On the other hand, nicer places add the $10 for ambiance.

manu1959
12-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Dan,

I'm all about paying whatever the price for a quantitive food/atmosphere/service experience. In other words, it's not the price - ever - that bothers me; however, there has got to be a matching level of food/atmosphere and service to go along with the amount I pay.

Assuming your drinks were about $6bux each - From the sounds of it, your actual dinner price was only about $20bux - to get fresh fish like that, I'd say that's very reasonable considering the price of fish - especially sushi-grade where they serve it raw like that.

My wife and I were in San Francisco last year - a place called "Aqua" - we did a 9-chourse dinner which had each course paired with a specific wine - the cost was about $160each if I recall. Would I do it again? Absolutely.

aqua is a very cool place.....i love that place.....worth every penny....

jimnyc
12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
It was a tapas place, so I had:

* Tuna sashimi: four small slices around a ball of rice, in a ginger sauce.

* Salmon bruchetta: Bread with lemon cream cheese and a thin slice of smoked salmon

* Avocado something-or-other: half an avacado topped with a crab mixture.

That all sounds nasty. Anything over $3 was too much!

glockmail
12-03-2007, 09:06 AM
....So, how much is too much to spend for dinner out, in your opinion?
The way I look at it, how much time did I have to work to pay for this experience? Is the luxury of an expensive restaurant making my life better? Is it giving me an incentive to make more dough tommorow?

If not, go to the big-box and get yourself some rice, beans, frozen veggies, cook it up and "exist".