PDA

View Full Version : Bring the troops home!

CSM
02-12-2007, 12:13 PM
From Japan that is:

Small blast outside U.S. Army base in Japan
Police report 'launch pad' found, according to news agency

Updated: 8 minutes ago
TOKYO - A small explosion occurred outside a U.S. Army base south of Tokyo late Monday, police and military officials said. A Japanese news report said police suspected an attempted attack on the base.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17115028/

They have been there too long, taking casualties unnecessarily! How many have to be wounded or killed before we admit to a failed policy of occupation in Japan!

sarcasm, folks.

Gaffer
02-12-2007, 12:25 PM
LOL

Hadn't heard about that, but then the news hasn't been reporting anything but the bimbo.

CSM
02-12-2007, 12:29 PM
LOL

Hadn't heard about that, but then the news hasn't been reporting anything but the bimbo.

It's all part of the plot! The MSM doesn't want you to know how badly things are in Japan...they just want to show you all the good things that come from disbanding the military!

trobinett
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
There was a series of articles in the "Stars and Stripes" back in the mid sixty's when I was in Europe, that warned American, and NATO troops to stay out of certain parts of Germany for fear of attack.

There were also a series of bombing attacks in nightclubs in some of cities where we had bases.

None of this seemed to make it back to the states.:dunno:

Psychoblues
02-25-2007, 03:10 PM
One cold and wintry night outside Osan, AB, Korea in what was then called Chicol Village in late '71 or early '72 I was trying to hail a taxi to Suwon AB, Korea. There was a curfew at that time and unless one had particular business it was not advisable to be out. A taxi pulled up to me that contained a Korean driver, another Korean man and a Korean woman. The Korean man asked me where I was going and I told him "Suwon". He said, "Get in, we're going right past there." This man spoke perfect English.

As we continued the 13 or 14 miles to Suwon, the Korean man and I conversed a lot about a number of issues. As we pulled up to the Suwon AB main gate I reached for my wallet and offered 600 Won that was the customary price of a taxi from Osan to Suwon at that time. The Korean gentleman told me, "Oh No, this ride is on me" and he offered me good life and good luck in my future and thanked me for being so frank and candid in our relatively short but intense conversation.

Just before I walked away from the taxi the man called back to me and told me, "my name is Kim Dae Jung. You may already know some about me or at least you will in the future if your interest in this country remains as it appears to be now." He then instructed the driver to move on.

The life and history of Korean President Kim Dae Jung is now very prominent. The reason I am relating this event to you is that Kim Dae Jung was a resident from the southern district of Korea that contains Kunsan and Kwang Ju Air bases as well as other military bases and outposts. As a rule the area was considered hostile to American interesests and our GI's were advised to never travel alone in most of it and many areas were considered absolutely off limits to American soldiers and civilians. The general Korean consensus at that time considered that any politician from that area would never be elected President.

Kim, himself, as I found out later, was then an outlaw, had already served time in prison for unspecified political reasons, never spent more than one night in any particular place and was steadilly running a nationwide effort to at least change or eliminate the corruption in Korean politics and even someday have a place for himself at the table of Power in Seoul, Korea where he could better effect his ambitions for the country.

As far as Kim Dae Jung is concerned, read about him in the annuls of Korean history.

There was a series of articles in the "Stars and Stripes" back in the mid sixty's when I was in Europe, that warned American, and NATO troops to stay out of certain parts of Germany for fear of attack.

There were also a series of bombing attacks in nightclubs in some of cities where we had bases.

None of this seemed to make it back to the states.:dunno:

Another reason I point this event out is to share with you the lurking dangers and politically charged positions that our troops become innocently entangled just by their presense on foreign soil. In this instance I was always very safe. But, it could have been terrible. Government agents were then looking for Kim Dae Jung. His own soldiers/bodyguards that were certainly closeby during this short but informative taxi ride could have seen me as some sort of threat. All kinds of things could have transpired during this quest of mine to simply travel by commercial transportation from Osan AB to Suwon AB just before the daily curfew had set in.

Consider that something terrible had happened to me during that ride. It would have probably been reported stateside that I was killed in a drunken Korean nightclub brawl or the victim of a simple highway accident or any number of other credible but completely untrue descriptions of what had actually happened. I'll never, thankfully, know and neither will you. But similar things happen often and many times the unknowing and otherwise innocent troops never even realize what kind of situation they had placed themselves. I would never had known about this situation had I not at least casually kept up with Korean politics and news.

It's a rough and tough world out there. Here too.

CSM
02-25-2007, 06:46 PM
As far as Kim Dae Jung is concerned, read about him in the annuls of Korean history

Care to explain just what the presidential candidate (Kim Dae Jung was a Korean presidential candidate in 1971, for those who didn't know) was doing driving a taxi? OH maybe you were speaking "metaphorically"...or maybe you are just lying again.

CSM
02-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.thepeacemission.com/kim-dae-jung.htm

Maybe Psycho can expalin why a high level politician was driving a taxi? I guess the Korean politicians don't get a salary.

trobinett
02-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Here is a link:

http://www.thepeacemission.com/kim-dae-jung.htm

Maybe Psycho can expalin why a high level politician was driving a taxi? I guess the Korean politicians don't get a salary.

I believe he(Kim Dae Jung)was also a passenger.

Gunny
02-25-2007, 08:15 PM
I believe he(Kim Dae Jung)was also a passenger.

Sure he was. The Presidential candidate tooling around after curfew offering rides to Americans.:laugh2:

CSM
02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Sure he was. The Presidential candidate tooling around after curfew offering rides to Americans.:laugh2:

Ok, a passenger then. Still a bit far fetched; particularly if Kim was as worried about security as Psycho claims.

Besides, I have a hard time believing that Psycho did 3 tours in VietNam ( as he claimed) and stillfound time to be stationed in Korea....

It just doesn't add up.

Gunny
02-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Ok, a passenger then. Still a bit far fetched; particularly if Kim was as worried about security as Psycho claims.

Besides, I have a hard time believing that Psycho did 3 tours in VietNam ( as he claimed) and stillfound time to be stationed in Korea....

It just doesn't add up.

My father was USAF. He was in for the entire war and he did two tours, with no other overseas duty stations. Most of the Marines I know that were in the entire time did two tours as well.

So psycho's saying he did 3, 13 month tours in Nam and a tour in Korea as well over a period of roughly 7 years? I don't see it either.

Psychoblues
02-25-2007, 11:58 PM
I never said I did 3 tours, as you intimate, in Viet Nam. What I said was that I served in Viet Nam on 3 occasions and each time it in a tdy status and each time it was ordered from my position in South Korea. I also went to Germany, England, Japan, Okinawa, Thailand, the Azores, Libya, Panama, Chile, Honduras and other places that I will not mention on this board.

My father was USAF. He was in for the entire war and he did two tours, with no other overseas duty stations. Most of the Marines I know that were in the entire time did two tours as well.

So psycho's saying he did 3, 13 month tours in Nam and a tour in Korea as well over a period of roughly 7 years? I don't see it either.

Why don't you quit your lies or at least admit your misunderstanding of what it is that I have said here, gunny?