PDA

View Full Version : Hiccup Cures

glockmail
12-03-2007, 08:40 AM
(Inspired by the Headache Cures thread.)

1. Drink a teaspoon of lemon juice concentrate. This one works for my kids.
2. Drink water through a napkin. I’ve never tried this but a PA friend of mine swears it works every time.

remie
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
(Inspired by the Headache Cures thread.)

1. Drink a teaspoon of lemon juice concentrate. This one works for my kids.
2. Drink water through a napkin. I’ve never tried this but a PA friend of mine swears it works every time.

I still think the best solution (this is from someone that hiccuped for three straight days) is breathing into a brown paper bag. Something about rebreathing CO2 kills the hiccup spasm. Course, with all the elevated CO2 that the global warming nuts spew I am surprised anyone has hiccups.

Abbey Marie
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
This was a bartender's tip. It has worked every time, for me and for everyone I've told about it:

Get a full glass of water. Breathe out the air from your luings. Then drink a very small sip of water and quickly as you can, breathe the air out again. Repeat the sips/breathing out for a total of 10 times.

retiredman
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
my grandfather's remedy:

It is tough to do by yourself, and I recommend having your signficant other help, but...

tightly plug both ears with your thumbs, plug both nostrils with your index fingers, and use the remaining three fingers on both hands to bring a glass of water to your mouth and take a big sip.
(I have my wife stand behind me and plug both ears, and then I squeeze my nose shut with one hand and drink water with the other)

works EVERY time

hjmick
12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
I just drink some water. Works every time.

glockmail
12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
my grandfather's remedy:

It is tough to do by yourself, and I recommend having your signficant other help, but...

tightly plug both ears with your thumbs, plug both nostrils with your index fingers, and use the remaining three fingers on both hands to bring a glass of water to your mouth and take a big sip.
(I have my wife stand behind me and plug both ears, and then I squeeze my nose shut with one hand and drink water with the other)

works EVERY time
I'm having a hard time understanding that. Maybe you can send us a photo.

Mr. P
12-03-2007, 02:41 PM
I still think the best solution (this is from someone that hiccuped for three straight days) is breathing into a brown paper bag. Something about rebreathing CO2 kills the hiccup spasm. Course, with all the elevated CO2 that the global warming nuts spew I am surprised anyone has hiccups.

I understand excess Co2 is the cause of hiccups so any way to eliminate it works...

What always works for me is rapid multiple deep breaths (5 or so)...hold the last one as long as possible, then exhale slowly.

Hobbit
12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Step 1: Install F.E.A.R. on your PC.
Step 2: Play F.E.A.R. until hiccups are gone (should take about 5-10 minutes)
Step 3: Change pants

Mr. P
12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Step 1: Install F.E.A.R. on your PC.
Step 2: Play F.E.A.R. until hiccups are gone (should take about 5-10 minutes)
Step 3: Change pants

:laugh2:

truthmatters
12-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Get a glass of water, lean over a sink and drink from the side of the glass that is away from you. In other words the wrong side of the glass. It seem to position your diaphram in the right way and forces you to breathe differtly.

Missileman
12-03-2007, 05:37 PM
I know of two that work.

1. Take 3 or 4 matches, light them all together and then immediately dunk them in a small glass of water. Discard matches and drink the water. The small amount of sulfur transfered to the water cures the hiccups.

2. Wiggle a q-tip vigorously around in your ear. You can interrupt the hiccup signal as the nerve that carries it runs near the opening of your ear.

Pale Rider
12-04-2007, 11:48 AM
I understand excess Co2 is the cause of hiccups so any way to eliminate it works...

What always works for me is rapid multiple deep breaths (5 or so)...hold the last one as long as possible, then exhale slowly.

Yup. Very close to what I do. It's been a long time since I've had the hickups, but just take the absolute deepest breath you possibly can and hold it as long as you can. Works every time.