PDA

View Full Version : Will reformed Zep play "Stairway"?

gabosaurus
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Very interesting article about how "Stairway To Heaven" almost destroyed Led Zeppelin.

http://www.slate.com/id/2179112/pagenum/all/#page_start

Hagbard Celine
12-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Sweet! There's a possibility that I might be able to actually attend a Zep concert!

dan
12-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Nobody other than Jimmy Page should ever play "Stairway to Heaven".

Hagbard Celine
12-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Nobody other than Jimmy Page should ever play "Stairway to Heaven".

My brother plays that riff pretty well.

dan
12-05-2007, 05:24 AM
My brother plays that riff pretty well.

"Hey, can't you read the sign?"
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4663/waynesworldnostairwayku0.jpg

PostmodernProphet
12-05-2007, 05:44 AM
you have to admit this is a good line....

It was "Stairway" that sold them to a mass audience that found it amusing to hold lighters aloft throughout the song, perhaps under the understandable impression that they were attending a concert by the Moody Blues.

KarlMarx
12-05-2007, 07:13 AM
What does that song mean? Over the years, I've heard various explanations including one that the "lady" in the song is a prostitute (perhaps the "stairway" is a symbol of drugs?)

One of the best explanations of the song I've heard is this one:

It's possible that Stairway to Heaven also makes many references to Tolkien's story (i.e Lord of the Rings). The phrase, "In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees" could be a reference to the smoke rings blown by the wizard Gandalf. Some say the song itself was inspired by the novel - and that the lady spoken of in the tale is Lady Galadriel, the Queen of Elves who lives in the golden forest of Lothlorien. In the book, all that glittered around her, was in fact, gold, as the leaves of the trees in the forest of Lothlorien were golden.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=328

It makes sense. Led Zepplin songs have many references to Tolkien (one song of theirs refers to "Mordor" and "Gollum the Evil One"). In fact, "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" were both very popular with young folks back in the 1970s and particularly on college campuses.

diuretic
12-05-2007, 07:52 AM
Years ago, before Tolkien was popularised, I heard a fairly serious discussion on the topic and it was suggested that heroin was the stairway.

KarlMarx
12-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Years ago, before Tolkien was popularised, I heard a fairly serious discussion on the topic and it was suggested that heroin was the stairway.
I heard the same thing said about America's "Horse with No Name" and Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge over Troubled Water"

diuretic
12-05-2007, 08:58 AM
I heard the same thing said about America's "Horse with No Name" and Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge over Troubled Water"

Heck I hadn't heard of that, but when you think about it "horse" is an old street name for heroin. But I never would have connected Simon and Garfunkel with it. Still I suppose when it comes to drug allusions nothing is as bare-faced as "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" :laugh2:

dan
12-05-2007, 09:30 AM
What does that song mean? Over the years, I've heard various explanations including one that the "lady" in the song is a prostitute (perhaps the "stairway" is a symbol of drugs?)

One of the best explanations of the song I've heard is this one:

It's possible that Stairway to Heaven also makes many references to Tolkien's story (i.e Lord of the Rings). The phrase, "In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees" could be a reference to the smoke rings blown by the wizard Gandalf. Some say the song itself was inspired by the novel - and that the lady spoken of in the tale is Lady Galadriel, the Queen of Elves who lives in the golden forest of Lothlorien. In the book, all that glittered around her, was in fact, gold, as the leaves of the trees in the forest of Lothlorien were golden.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=328

It makes sense. Led Zepplin songs have many references to Tolkien (one song of theirs refers to "Mordor" and "Gollum the Evil One"). In fact, "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" were both very popular with young folks back in the 1970s and particularly on college campuses.

Good summary, and an awesome link, thanks for that!

I think you're probably right about Tolkien. Speaking more generally, I guess the song is about wanting something, then ultimately realizing once you have it, that it's not so great anymore, whether that thing be heroin or the ring or what have you. I do think "all that glitters is gold" is one of the greatest, most haunting rock lyrics ever written.

I guess I can see them not wanting to play it, but I'm sure lots of people will be hoping for it, and they're obviously getting back together for the money (otherwise, they could just play at a local pub or something), why not give the people what they want?

Hagbard Celine
12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
If you play it backwards, you can hear Plant say "Oh, my sweet Satan."

dan
12-05-2007, 02:21 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzP0Od59uxw&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pzP0Od59uxw&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

KarlMarx
12-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Heck I hadn't heard of that, but when you think about it "horse" is an old street name for heroin. But I never would have connected Simon and Garfunkel with it. Still I suppose when it comes to drug allusions nothing is as bare-faced as "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" :laugh2:
Yep... and "White Room (Cream - describes an LSD trip at a train station)", "White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane - drugs in general)", "Snow Blind (Black Sabbath - cocaine)", "Sweet Leaf (Black Sabbath - marijuane)" and, of course, let's not forget "Cocaine (Eric Clapton -- I'll let you guess)"

dan
12-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Yep... and "White Room (Cream - describes an LSD trip at a train station)", "White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane - drugs in general)", "Snow Blind (Black Sabbath - cocaine)", "Sweet Leaf (Black Sabbath - marijuane)" and, of course, let's not forget "Cocaine (Eric Clapton -- I'll let you guess)"

Dylan - "Rainy Day Women #12 & 35"
Cypress Hill - "Hits from the Bong"
Redman - "How to Roll a Blunt"
:laugh2: