PDA

View Full Version : Why Speak English in America?

stephanie
12-06-2007, 04:14 AM
This was an interesting article on if we should all speak English in the Untied States...Lot's of thoughtful comments with the article also...

November 30, 2007 1:00 AM
Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid think the US needs bilingual education. But PJM editor Aaron Hanscom, who speaks Spanish and was recently a public school teacher, feels differently.

Support Pajamas Media; Visit Our Advertisers
By Aaron Hanscom

Recently some parents on a Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) advisory council got a little crazy. Though I’m sure they’d prefer it if I said they went “un poquito loco.”

The Los Angeles Times reports that Spanish-speakers walked out of a council meeting this month after African-American parents censured the chairman for bad behavior. This followed months of disagreement and back-and-forth arguing. The acrimony can be traced back to February, when Roberto Fonseca started to give his chairman’s report in Spanish. According to the Times:

Some in the audience objected; arguments and recriminations ensued, and school police rushed over amid concerns that a fistfight would break out, witnesses said.”
The obvious question is this: why did Fonseca (who is bilingual) think it was appropriate to run the meeting in Spanish? After all, African-Americans are well represented on the council, and many of the Latino parents speak English. Furthermore, current bylaws stipulate that all parent meetings across the district be held in English.

Apparently Fonseca took the opportunity to challenge those bylaws, motivated by a lawyer’s conclusion that the English-only rule was illegal and impractical and the district’s assurance that it would not be enforced. The LAUSD probably fears the reactions of parents like Guadalupe Aguiar, who told the Times that it is “racist when parents are told that, in America, they have to speak English.”

Ms. Aguiar’s logic has already cast the Salvation Army in the role of bigots. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) sued the charity back in March for requiring workers to speak English on the job. The EEOC claims that two employees at the Salvation Army’s Framingham, Mass., thrift store were fired “on the basis of their national origin.” As John Fund reports in the Wall Street Journal, however, the Salvation Army’s English-only policy was clearly posted, and the workers were given a year’s notice that they should speak English while on duty.

That wasn’t good enough for Rep. Charles Gonzalez of Texas. The Hispanic Democrat is quoted in the Journal as saying, “If it is not relevant, it is discriminatory, it is gratuitous, it is a subterfuge to discriminate against people based on national origin.” This type of heated rhetoric made its way to the House Floor on Nov. 8, when Rep. Luis Gutierrez of Illinois called English-only requirements symbolic of “bigotry and prejudice.”

But not all politicians think it’s racist to insist that employees speak English when working in America. In fact, Gonzalez and Gutierrez were reacting to an amendment introduced by Lamar Alexander from Tennessee. Alexander’s legislation would shield employers from federal lawsuits if they refuse to hire non-English speakers. The amendment passed the Senate by 75-19 last month, and, more recently, the House by 218-186, but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is determined to kill it.

read the rest and comments..
http://pajamasmedia.com/2007/11/who_needs_english_in_america.php

April15
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Quanto que es?

Pale Rider
12-06-2007, 04:42 PM
This is starting to get traction.... "Civil War," because it's not just a small amount of people saying it anymore. "True" Americans are getting sick as hell of shit like what happened in this meeting, and the foreigners pushing it. This is America. We're going to have to fight to get it back sooner or later, or we'll lose it. Mark my words.

Pale Rider
12-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Quanto que es?

"Go fuck yourself." That's English. Use it, or get the fuck off the board.

darin
12-06-2007, 04:48 PM
Es ist nicht ein grosses Abkommen

Pale Rider
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Es ist nicht ein grosses Abkommen

OK... anything goes. Fuck it. The board is officially NOT an English only board. "Liberals." :cool:

(It used to be. Sad change.)

darin
12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Dude - seriously...RELAX.

:poke:

April15
12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
"Go fuck yourself." That's English. Use it, or get the fuck off the board.
Pele me la verga! That is Spanish. As everybody in construction is hispaic I had to learn it to keep working when the white boys abandoned construction.

manu1959
12-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Pele me la verga! That is Spanish. As everybody in construction is hispaic I had to learn it to keep working when the white boys abandoned construction.

you mean when constrution companies bought cheap illegal labor and fired all the citizens....

or should i say......

usted significa cuando las compañías del constrution compradas trabajo ilegal barato y encendidas todos los ciudadanos....

Gaffer
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM

Whites and blacks could not work in construction any more because for the price of a white or black man the company can get 15 illegals.

April15
12-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Whites and blacks could not work in construction any more because for the price of a white or black man the company can get 15 illegals.I use union labor. That is 230 a day plus benifits for cement masons. It is not the money, it is the labor required to earn the money. The union halls are empty of whites and blacks. Even rail road workers are mexican. We have a rail realignment project in town and there may be one white or black the rest are mexican. Out of 40 or so men. That used to be the domain of blacks.

Nukeman
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I use union labor. That is 230 a day plus benifits for cement masons. It is not the money, it is the labor required to earn the money. The union halls are empty of whites and blacks. Even rail road workers are mexican. We have a rail realignment project in town and there may be one white or black the rest are mexican. Out of 40 or so men. That used to be the domain of blacks.Where do you live in the US. I would assume it is somewhere wit a high Mexican population. if your in California that means your paying your workers 60,000 a year and from what I see and hear that really isn't enough to live on out there..

Where I live the Union halls are still filled predominately with white union workers followed by black and Mexican is alomst nonexistant. So you take is more than likely scewed by the location of your business.

This whole idea of Mexicans doing work that whites and blacks wont do is rediculous, It boils down to who is willing to do the unskilled labor for the current fee.

Pale Rider
12-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Dude - seriously...RELAX.

:poke:

Uuuhh.... DUDE.... Why don't you just continue to write in German on the board? Why doesn't April15 continue to write in Spanish? Really... why stop? Let's just turn the board into a mini L.A.! Yeah! That's a great idea. And since I and no doubt many other board members can't read a damn bit of either German or Spanish, so how the hell would we know if we're getting insulted or not, Jimmy can install a translator on the board for all your multicultural friends that either refuse, or don't know to speak English. Or maybe better yet, Jimmy can make it so that when you log onto the board, you have to enter "1" to use it in English, "2" for Spanish, and "3" for German. Then we can make Kum Ba Ya the board anthem, and remove all the rep and post counters because we don't want to insult people with low rep or post counts. Yeah... just make the board into a mini San Franqueerco.

shattered
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Uuuhh.... DUDE.... Why don't you just continue to write in German on the board? Why doesn't April15 continue to write in Spanish? Really... why stop? Let's just turn the board into a mini L.A.! Yeah! That's a great idea. And since I and no doubt many other board members can't read a damn bit of either German or Spanish, so how the hell would we know if we're getting insulted or not, Jimmy can install a translator on the board for all your multicultural friends that either refuse, or don't know to speak English. Or maybe better yet, Jimmy can make it so that when you log onto the board, you have to enter "1" to use it in English, "2" for Spanish, and "3" for German. Then we can make Kum Ba Ya the board anthem, and remove all the rep and post counters because we don't want to insult people with low rep or post counts. Yeah... just make the board into a mini San Franqueerco.

I'm half German.. Why would it be offensive if I learned to speak German, and then proceeded to do so?

Pale Rider
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Whites and blacks could not work in construction any more because for the price of a white or black man the company can get 15 illegals.

Even though it takes 15 illegals to equal the quality of one white "trained" Carpenter.

Pale Rider
12-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm half German.. Why would it be offensive if I learned to speak German, and then proceeded to do so?

I didn't say it would be "offensive," did I? I said I can't freagin' READ IT!

I have German ancestry myself, that's not the point.

It might have been back on the old board, but I know for a fact there USED to be a rule that ALL POSTS HAD TO BE MADE IN ENGLISH! I just wonder why and where that rule went.

I'm just fighting for English here. This is America. I think that's what we ought to speak here. If you want to post in Spanish, go find a Spanish board. You want to post in German, go find a German board.

If people here think they HAVE to post in a foreign language, then they should at least have the decency to TRANSLATE it into English for those of us that only read and write English. That way we know we're not being INSULTED, or DISRESPECTED.

April15
12-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Where do you live in the US. I would assume it is somewhere wit a high Mexican population. if your in California that means your paying your workers 60,000 a year and from what I see and hear that really isn't enough to live on out there..

Where I live the Union halls are still filled predominately with white union workers followed by black and Mexican is alomst nonexistant. So you take is more than likely scewed by the location of your business.

This whole idea of Mexicans doing work that whites and blacks wont do is rediculous, It boils down to who is willing to do the unskilled labor for the current fee.

Yes I am in California, by San Francisco. 60 grand is barely enough.
There is a large Philipino population and Mexican and Afghanistan and Persian. A cement mason is a skilled job. Carpenters are skilled workers. Both depend on quality apprenticeship programs to maintain the level of skill to produce quality products.
When I started as a mason I was the only white boy in the hall. The rest were black. That was 30 some years ago.