PDA

View Full Version : Sony PS2 or PSP?

glockmail
12-06-2007, 11:00 AM
My son wants the PSP so he can take it on bus trips. I'd rather get him thae PS2 cuz he can play games with others. Is this an issue? Can you hook up a PSP to a TV or monitor? Can you rig up remote controllers? I like the idea of portability, but I'm wondering if my two kids can use it together. I don't want to have to buy two of them.

Hagbard Celine
12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Don't give him the PSP. If he's going to be holed-up playing video games, he's going to have fewer friends anyway, so he'll need all the help he can get in order to stimulate social interaction. If you must, get the PS2.

glockmail
12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Don't give him the PSP. If he's going to be holed-up playing video games, he's going to have fewer friends anyway, so he'll need all the help he can get in order to stimulate social interaction. If you must, get the PS2. He's a three season athlete, earned a Letter as a sophmore, skis in a USSA leauge, is one rank from Eagle, gets straight "A's", and is as handsome as his old man was. He has plenty of friends as well as the respect and admiration of his peers.

He and his sis have had Game Boys for several years and all their friends had them as well. Now they're starting to get these things. I'm just asking if the PSP can do "double duty" as a PS2.

5stringJeff
12-08-2007, 10:44 AM
He's a three season athlete, earned a Letter as a sophmore, skis in a USSA leauge, is one rank from Eagle, gets straight "A's", and is as handsome as his old man was. He has plenty of friends as well as the respect and admiration of his peers.

He and his sis have had Game Boys for several years and all their friends had them as well. Now they're starting to get these things. I'm just asking if the PSP can do "double duty" as a PS2.

My daughter has a PSP. Along with playing video games, you can download music and videos onto it, so it doubles as an mp3 player. I think that would be a good investment, especially since it's portable.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 11:13 AM
My son wants the PSP so he can take it on bus trips. I'd rather get him thae PS2 cuz he can play games with others. Is this an issue? Can you hook up a PSP to a TV or monitor? Can you rig up remote controllers? I like the idea of portability, but I'm wondering if my two kids can use it together. I don't want to have to buy two of them.
A PS2, if your gona get him a home system get him the PS3. A lot of the good new games coming out are only in PS3. Can't find the new call of duty for anything in PS2.

Wii's are also cool.

glockmail
12-09-2007, 06:42 PM
My daughter has a PSP. Along with playing video games, you can download music and videos onto it, so it doubles as an mp3 player. I think that would be a good investment, especially since it's portable.
He can play MP3 and MP4 on his cell phone.

glockmail
12-09-2007, 06:45 PM
A PS2, if your gona get him a home system get him the PS3. A lot of the good new games coming out are only in PS3. Can't find the new call of duty for anything in PS2.

Wii's are also cool.
Wiis are the hot toy of the year so he ain't getting it. Same with PS3- too new, too expensive, and same with the new games. I won't spend any more than 20 on a game.

5stringJeff
12-09-2007, 06:53 PM
He can play MP3 and MP4 on his cell phone.

The PSP has more memory, unless your son has an iPhone.

glockmail
12-09-2007, 07:03 PM
The PSP has more memory, unless your son has an iPhone.
He's got a micoSD, 2GB. More than enough.

My daughter wanted an iPod, and I told her to use her phone, as she has the same set-up.

LiberalNation
12-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Wiis are the hot toy of the year so he ain't getting it. Same with PS3- too new, too expensive, and same with the new games. I won't spend any more than 20 on a game.
Yeah I buy older comp games cuz I don't wana spend $50 on them.

PS3 is exspensive but if you want any new games you hafta get one.

nevadamedic
12-09-2007, 09:05 PM

Wii's are also cool.

I'm goin to get a Wii, they are the better system IMO.

glockmail
12-11-2007, 03:57 PM
I got the PSP. WalMart online was sold out, as was the local store, but KMart just got a new shipment in, had the color he's prefer so I shelled out the 2 bills. The guy at the store said that you can't play with a second controller, which is a negative. Also less games available than the PS2. But its what the boy wants and he deserves it. I'll continue to grill him on the negatives, and I can always take it back and get the PS2 if he changes his mind before Christmas.

nevadamedic
12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
I got the PSP. WalMart online was sold out, as was the local store, but KMart just got a new shipment in, had the color he's prefer so I shelled out the 2 bills. The guy at the store said that you can't play with a second controller, which is a negative. Also less games available than the PS2. But its what the boy wants and he deserves it. I'll continue to grill him on the negatives, and I can always take it back and get the PS2 if he changes his mind before Christmas.

You can also get movies for it too.

glockmail
12-11-2007, 04:27 PM
You can also get movies for it too. That's another negative. Buying the same damn movie in a UMD format and shelling out more cash. Doesn't the PS2 play standard DVDs?

nevadamedic
12-11-2007, 04:31 PM
That's another negative. Buying the same damn movie in a UMD format and shelling out more cash. Doesn't the PS2 play standard DVDs?

Yup but they can use the PSP as a portible DVD player for road trips or when they are at a place without a DVD player.

glockmail
12-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Yup but they can use the PSP as a portible DVD player for road trips or when they are at a place without a DVD player.
Plus you can make copies of DVDs from your buddies DVDs.

I'm making a list of negs so he can make the "correct" decision.