PDA

View Full Version : 36% of verterans families support the war.

truthmatters
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20071207/pl_bloomberg/a9ebp4zm28g8;_ylt=AnH3TSedTRw1rh0I6SGxq0Dq188F

This is a big change from a couple years ago.

Kathianne
12-07-2007, 07:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20071207/pl_bloomberg/a9ebp4zm28g8;_ylt=AnH3TSedTRw1rh0I6SGxq0Dq188F

This is a big change from a couple years ago.

and where is the link from the results of 'a couple of years ago'?

April15
12-07-2007, 09:14 PM

This is a big change from a couple years ago.So was the support more or less a couple years ago?

darin
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Without the controls and the questions from the polling, the results are useless.

Dilloduck
12-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Without the controls and the questions from the polling, the results are useless.

Not to TM !! :laugh2::laugh2:

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah polls aren't all that but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this war has lost a lot of support since it's rather popular start. Americans don't like long wars.

darin
12-08-2007, 01:32 PM
The Media never liked ANY war run by a republican. Any drop in support is directly the fault of Media, and an Administration who doesn't refute the carnage or provide context.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 02:14 PM
There was a dem during half of vietnam and the media didn't like it any better.

Any drop in support is directly the fault of Media, and an Administration who doesn't refute the carnage or provide context.
Or common sense, millions of dollars a day, US troops dying far away from home, all for what? Unclear reasoning is a big problem.

Dilloduck
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
There was a dem during half of vietnam and the media didn't like it any better.

Or common sense, millions of dollars a day, US troops dying far away from home, all for what? Unclear reasoning is a big problem.

No---the problem is that the media doesn't report facts without twisting them to serve their political interests.

April15
12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
At this point in the war it seems like the little boy who cried wolf. Every time you turn around it seems as though the reason is changed or the mission is accomplished or the Iraqis aren't trying. People are just fed up with the BS. The quick answer is just stop the war and lets get to our problems at home.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 05:17 PM
The quick answer is just stop the war and lets get to our problems at home.

The better answer is to just let the military do what they need to do, and quit worrying about what mission is what mission. It's a war any way you look at it but lets make a clusterfuck out of what the mission is, was, or should be...:rolleyes:

April15
12-08-2007, 05:22 PM
The better answer is to just let the military do what they need to do, and quit worrying about what mission is what mission. It's a war any way you look at it but lets make a clusterfuck out of what the mission is, was, or should be...:rolleyes:That would be a viable solution but many Americans are tired of military action period.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 05:25 PM
That would be a viable solution but many Americans are tired of military action period.

Indeed they are but that is just one other reason as to why the military should be left alone to do what it needs to do. There are way too many people who have'nt the stomach for what a war calls for, for what realities will be faced. Now add some biased news reporting on both sides, and bam! A war lost before it is even halfway fought.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 05:28 PM
This isn't so much a war as an occupation of hostile lands. We won the "war" a long time ago. It was a pretty good little war, if only Bush and gotten out like Bush 1 did during Gulf we wouldn't be having this problem.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 05:41 PM
This isn't so much a war as an occupation of hostile lands. We won the "war" a long time ago. It was a pretty good little war, if only Bush and gotten out like Bush 1 did during Gulf we wouldn't be having this problem.

Such knowledge yet to be had little one. The original Gulf war was a whole different creature with a different objection. You just don't walk away after a regime change. I know you think that is the best now but had it been the case you would probably fall in the same category as the rest to say the we abandoned a country after we left it lawless, and without leadership.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Well it wouldn't be much different than the lawless without leadership mess we have now cept it wouldn't be on our hands.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Well it wouldn't be much different than the lawless without leadership mess we have now cept it wouldn't be on our hands.

Ahh, you prefer it be on someone elses hands? you would prefer it never happened at all? well tis' the way that it is, and that probaly wont change to soon yet there is always room for improvements to be made. Kind of like what I stated earlier.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Things seem to be improving as of late. Hope it continues. Course it may just be election news over shadowing bad war news but we'll see.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Things seem to be improving as of late. Hope it continues. Course it may just be election news over shadowing bad war news but we'll see.

Yep, but as you just said it could be this or that regarding news reports it lends a bit of credence to what I'm saying. The media makes more problems then needed, let thing be what they will be so the military can get the job done that they were sent to do.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 06:55 PM
In perfect world but that's not it. Freedom of the press is important even if not convenient for those trying to wage a war.

The media needs to make money, the public needs to be entertained, and some need watching and scrutiny

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 07:00 PM
The media needs to make money, the public needs to be entertained, and some need watching and scrutiny

:laugh2:

I think you just epitomized the majority of the liberal mentality all in one post!

If being entertained means making the work of the military optional to be scrutinized we are indeed in deep shit.

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I think you just epitomized the majority of the liberal mentality all in one post.
Never heard no liberals say it. Think your wrong on that one.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Never heard no liberals say it. Think your wrong on that one.

Well who just said it LiberalNation?

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 07:13 PM
A screan name known not to be so liberal.

Sir Evil
12-08-2007, 07:23 PM
A screan name known not to be so liberal.

:slap:

Creative!

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 07:23 PM
I try. ;) :P

Dilloduck
12-08-2007, 07:32 PM
In perfect world but that's not it. Freedom of the press is important even if not convenient for those trying to wage a war.

maybe you have a point--since the media has taken their role as watchdog so seriously, there is no one left to inform the public.

Psychoblues
12-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Where is it reported the 64% of military families disagree with the war? Extrapolation has never been a strong trait amongst the chickenhawks.

gabosaurus
12-09-2007, 12:36 AM
A large portion of that 36 percent publicly say they support the war so their loved ones will not be subject to retribution.

Psychoblues
12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Thank you, gabby.

A large portion of that 36 percent publicly say they support the war so their loved ones will not be subject to retribution.

Having spent many years in uniform, on various installations and involved in many operations I am well aware that what you say is TRUTH. Some here, however, may make their feeble attempt to deny it as such.

Dilloduck
12-09-2007, 12:55 AM
Thank you, gabby.

Having spent many years in uniform, on various installations and involved in many operations I am well aware that what you say is TRUTH. Some here, however, may make their feeble attempt to deny it as such.

Actually I would think that 100% of the military families would oppose the war.

Psychoblues
12-09-2007, 01:04 AM
And, as usual, dd, you would be completely wrong.

Actually I would think that 100% of the military families would oppose the war.

On what do you base your opinion?

Dilloduck
12-09-2007, 01:14 AM
And, as usual, dd, you would be completely wrong.

On what do you base your opinion?

oh ----just on the fact that they are the ones who are having family members killed, maimed and traumatized.

Psychoblues
12-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Your scare tactics don't work on me, dd.

oh ----just on the fact that they are the ones who are having family members killed, maimed and traumatized.

Just how did that 64% decide to be unfavorable to the WAR ON IRAQ? I suspect it merely a reflection of a more well informed yet more indirectly involved population at large. It's about 82.789% out here now.

Dilloduck
12-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Your scare tactics don't work on me, dd.

Just how did that 64% decide to be unfavorable to the WAR ON IRAQ? I suspect it merely a reflection of a more well informed yet more indirectly involved population at large. It's about 82.789% out here now.

you asked me a question--I answered--Why would I bother trying to scare you? :laugh2:

Psychoblues
12-09-2007, 01:36 AM
You're typical.

you asked me a question--I answered--Why would I bother trying to scare you? :laugh2:

Does "killed, maimed and traumatized." not remind you? Your words, dd. Not mine. Care to explain what you meant?

Dilloduck
12-09-2007, 01:42 AM
You're typical.

Does "killed, maimed and traumatized." not remind you? Your words, dd. Not mine. Care to explain what you meant?

Follow closely Pscho------I am suprised that ANY military family supports ANY war since it is them that suffer more than anyone.

Psychoblues
12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
Follow this closely, dd.

Follow closely Pscho------I am suprised that ANY military family supports ANY war since it is them that suffer more than anyone.

My brother was killed by his service Viet Nam. I served on 3 occasions there. My family never stopped supporting me or my objectives or the then present objectives of the United States of America. I served in other wars as well and I don't believe I ever lost the support of my family. In fact, I am certain that I never lost the support of my family for my participation there or the participation of this GREAT NATION. But, that's a different story now, isn't it?

Psychoblues
12-12-2007, 02:18 AM
I think I also need to remind you that my brother died many years after the Viet Nam War, he died from Agent Orange exposure that he could have only gotten in Viet Nam and that his service was Honorable, steadfast and complete. Although he was denied repeatedly by the VA for his respiratory anomolies, the VA finally admitted about 2 years before his death that his illness was absolutely service connected. His name is not on the Black Wall.

Psychoblues
12-12-2007, 02:32 AM
As I am thinking and getting more disillussioned with my beforehand considered colleagues of American Patriotism and genuine freedom fighters, I must point out that the recent death of my younger brother was also directly attributable to his Viet Nam experience and he never got a cent from the VA and his memorial, as I reported it here, was never acknowledged as remarkable by anyone here.

Jody, his nickname for Joseph, was a Navy SeaBee. He was taught to live on nothing and survive on even less. His months in Viet Nam prepared him for his homeless life in the USofA. I might also point out that he came home from the Navy a compulsive stoner, independent to his death and never in the least concerned with anything political.

Dustin
12-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Such knowledge yet to be had little one. The original Gulf war was a whole different creature with a different objection. You just don't walk away after a regime change. I know you think that is the best now but had it been the case you would probably fall in the same category as the rest to say the we abandoned a country after we left it lawless, and without leadership.

True the Gulf war was to stop the invasion of Kuwaitt so we were seen as the good guys. This time we seem like the bad guys.

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I think I also need to remind you that my brother died many years after the Viet Nam War, he died from Agent Orange exposure that he could have only gotten in Viet Nam and that his service was Honorable, steadfast and complete. Although he was denied repeatedly by the VA for his respiratory anomolies, the VA finally admitted about 2 years before his death that his illness was absolutely service connected. His name is not on the Black Wall.

My brother was in the Army and served two tours in Viet Nam also Pb. He came home fucked in the head. Drank too much, did drugs, fought in bars and at home, and nine years after he came home he committed suicide. His name isn't on the black wall either.

My father was in the Navy in WWII. My brother in law was in the Marines. I was in the Air Force and am a service connected disabled veteran. We all had the support of our families, ALWAYS! We have military in our blood. I think one can support the military and the troops but not support a war. Because when you talk of support for a war, you're talking about the reasons behind the war, and that's a whole different ball game than supporting the military. The military doesn't start or create the reasons for war. Politicians do. The military are just the poor slobs that have to go and do the fighting and dying FOR the politicians. So yes, coming from a family steeped in military, I love my fellow comrades in arms, but I surely can hate someone who orders us into harms way for a no good reason.

LuvRPgrl
12-12-2007, 12:00 PM

PRecisely. No matter what, the libecrats and the media will attack President Bush's policy regarding Iraq.

And as for the media coverage of the Vietnam war, it only escalated to a high level after LBJ left office.

Unfortunately, TV brings the war home into our living rooms. Virtually no matter what, mothers especially, the families will see the violence and become protective of their sons. It serioiusly depletes our ability to conduct a needed long term war/peace keeping force.

"Throughout the first years of its existence, SDS focused on domestic concerns. The students, as with other groups of the Old and New Left, actively supported Lyndon Johnson in his 1964 campaign against Barry Goldwater. Following Johnson's victory, they refrained from antiwar rhetoric to avoid alienating the president and possibly endangering the social programs of the Great Society. Although not yet an antiwar organization, SDS actively participated in the Civil Rights struggle and proved an important link between the two defining causes of the decade."--------------This is from "modern American poetry" hardly a right wing organization.
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/vietnam/antiwar.html

LuvRPgrl
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
My brother was in the Army and served two tours in Viet Nam also Pb. He came home fucked in the head. Drank too much, did drugs, fought in bars and at home, and nine years after he came home he committed suicide. His name isn't on the black wall either.

My father was in the Navy in WWII. My brother in law was in the Marines. I was in the Air Force and am a service connected disabled veteran. We all had the support of our families, ALWAYS! We have military in our blood. I think one can support the military and the troops but not support a war. Because when you talk of support for a war, you're talking about the reasons behind the war, and that's a whole different ball game than supporting the military. The military doesn't start or create the reasons for war. Politicians do. The military are just the poor slobs that have to go and do the fighting and dying FOR the politicians. So yes, coming from a family steeped in military, I love my fellow comrades in arms, but I surely can hate someone who orders us into harms way for a no good reason.

Sorry, but when the military also supports the war, then you cant support the military and oppose the war.

The incidents cited about soldiers returning with problems do not prove anything. Fact is, the veterans of Vietnam are/were much better off than the veterans of WWll. And thats a fact.

As for Dilloducks posistion, Im surprised he would think 100% of ANY group would agree on something, much less the families of military. However, it is HIS OPINION that he thought that. Probably, he is just talking about what would make sense to him, if we didnt know any of the facts of who is surpporting the war, and who the opposistion is.