PDA

View Full Version : Defiant Dixie Chicks fly high at Grammys

stephanie
02-12-2007, 04:29 PM
:lmao: :cow: :lmao: :cow:
By Dean Goodman
SNIP..
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Dixie Chicks, who stirred up a hornet's nest with a jibe at President Bush, won all five Grammys for which they were nominated on Sunday, including the coveted album of the year.

The victory marked a stunning validation for the female country music trio from Texas, almost four years after their dream run as the darlings of Nashville came to an abrupt end.

Singer Natalie Maines told fans during a 2003 concert she was ashamed to come from the same state as Bush, and the group was transformed overnight into pariahs. Radio stations stopped playing their songs, while album and ticket sales suffered.

The Dixie Chicks also won record and song of the year for the appropriately wry single "Not Ready To Make Nice." The last time an act won the album, record and song categories was in 1993 when Eric Clapton led the field.

The last country act to win album of the year was Glen Campbell in 1969 with "By the Time I Get to Phoenix."

"I think people are using their freedom of speech tonight with all of these awards," Maines said.:cow:

The Dixie Chicks also won the Grammys for best country album and country performance by a duo or group with vocal. Their career Grammy haul now stands at 13 awards.

"Taking the Long Way" was the ninth-biggest album in the United States last year, according to tracking firm Nielsen SoundScan, but sales of 1.9 million copies to date were relatively disappointing compared with previous releases.
Meanwhile, former "American Idol" champion Carrie Underwood took the closely watched honor for best new artist, further enhancing the star-making power of the hit TV talent contest.

Underwood, the winner of the fourth season of "American Idol" in 2005, earlier took the Grammy for best female country vocal performance.

"This is absolutely unbelievable! I love country music," the 23-year-old Nashville star said.
You can read the rest of this gut splitting article at....
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyID=2007-02-12T061717Z_01_N07388297_RTRUKOC_0_US-GRAMMYS.xml&pageNumber=1&imageid=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage1

5stringJeff
02-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Amazing. I never once heard the Dixie Chicks' new stuff on any of our four country stations.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
The Dixie Chicks also won record and song of the year for the appropriately wry single "Not Ready To Make Nice." The last time an act won the album, record and song categories was in 1993 when Eric Clapton led the field.

Wow. That juxtaposition says a lot about the huge drop in quality of grammy winners.

jimnyc
02-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I despise them, refuse to listen to them & think NO bands should bring politics into their music. I never liked the Grammy's anyway. Then again, I'm sure my music is offensive to some :)

stephanie
02-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Heck I'm stuck in a time warp music wise...

Classic Rock...

Eagles
Doobies
Roy Orbison
Bob Seger
Creedence

:rock::)

I despise the Twits also...

red states rule
02-12-2007, 05:08 PM
Like the Oscars, only the liberal stuff shirts cast the votes

I sure did not get my Grammy ballot in the mail - did you?

Abbey Marie
02-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Like the Oscars, only the liberal stuff shirts cast the votes

I sure did not get my Grammy ballot in the mail - did you?

I heard that Jimmah Carter won one as well.

red states rule
02-12-2007, 05:18 PM
I heard that Jimmah Carter won one as well.

I rest my case

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Heck I'm stuck in a time warp music wise...

Classic Rock...

Eagles
Doobies
Roy Orbison
Bob Seger
Creedence

:rock::)

I despise the Twits also...
:clap:

I think the producers knew folks would be a bit pissed about the twits, did you see the "sorta" disclaimer about votes at the end of the show?

red states rule
02-12-2007, 05:31 PM
Saddam's Angels did lose a friend recently

Sitarro
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I think the music industry is blaming President Bush for their drop in sales so they decided to make a statement. The Grammy's have been a joke for many years as the recording industry has become. The truely great musicians are rarely recognized, I quit watching years ago. That little troll Natalie and the sisters are talented musicians but they put out crap, they need somone to do their writing and arranging for them. And of cpurse they need to get that just like actors, nobody with any sense cares what they think about politics, talk to us about something you know.

I haven't purchased a CD in years and I have about 600 and 4000 individual songs in itunes so it's not like I have never cared about music.

stephanie
02-12-2007, 05:40 PM
:clap:

I think the producers knew folks would be a bit pissed about the twits, did you see the "sorta" disclaimer about votes at the end of the show?

I didn't watch the show Mr. P..

I had more important things to do...

I was watching some paint dry....:laugh:

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 05:42 PM
I didn't watch the show Mr. P..

I had more important things to do...

I was watching some paint dry....:laugh:

I saw parts, the END was the best part! :wink2:

red states rule
02-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Saddam's Angels have a great following OUTSIDE the US

Gutsy Chicks

TORY ZIMMERMAN/TORONTO STAR

Criticizing the U.S. war in Iraq and the president got the Dixie Chicks in trouble with their core audience, but it opened up a whole new fan base

Feb 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Sharda Prashad

It was an off-the-cuff remark that toppled the Dixie Chicks from their perch atop the country music charts. Their core audience and even their main marketing medium – country radio – abandoned them after the Chicks' leader spoke out against the war in Iraq. For the Chicks and their management team, it was a disaster.

Three years later, the band is still "not ready to make nice" to those they offended. Their new album has topped the music charts and, with five Grammy nominations up for grabs tonight, the Chicks have shown that a public relations blunder can be overcome. All it takes is a good product and strong brand management.

Rewind to 2003, when the Chicks were the top-selling female band of all-time with 30 million records sold and the top-grossing country concert. Then, on a British stop for the Top of the World tour, lead singer Natalie Maines commented: "Just so you know, we are ashamed the president of the United States is from the state of Texas."

The comment created a media wildfire and the public relations nightmare began.

Country fans in the southern United States called for boycotts of concerts. Bins were set up outside radio stations to destroy Dixie Chicks paraphernalia. Country music stations stopped playing their music. Band members even received death threats.

Rather than apologize, the Chicks spent the next three years working on a new album. But they quickly recognized there would be one major problem: They couldn't rely on country radio to market the product.

"For a large portion of the artists out there, everything has traditionally been based upon radio and what happens in radio and attaining mass levels of radio impressions," says Simon Renshaw, Dixie Chicks business manager. "With the Dixie Chicks we really had to start with the premise that there would be no air play. From that basis we could never get hurt, because any airplay would be a bonus."

To market the band's latest album, Taking the Long Road, the band turned to television, print and new media. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling 526,000 units in the U.S. alone in its first week last May (their previous album sold 780,000 its first week). The same week, the Chicks were on the cover of Time magazine and USA Today and appeared on NBC's Today show.

The band did get some radio play, says Renshaw, but not enough to drive radio chart success.

New media efforts included a website and advertising on AOL. They even hired a law professor to write a daily blog while they were on tour.

The band was able to capture a new more mainstream audience because the album had more of a rock sound.

It's possible they would have gone in that direction regardless, says Ann Powers, Los Angeles Times pop music critic. But, she adds, because they lost support from country radio, they really had no choice.

"It's almost shocking really. It's almost as if classic rock fans decided to boycott Bruce Springsteen."

The band did more song writing on this album and hired new people, such as Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and other non-country artists, to help deliver the new sound. And they recorded in Los Angeles for the first time, instead of their home state of Texas.

"There's really a strong tradition of country, or shall we say country rock, that comes out of this city (Los Angeles)," says Powers. "The Dixie Chicks fit in very well with that."

There wasn't a deliberate decision to change the music, says Renshaw, it was just part of the band's natural evolution.

Ashwin Joshi, marketing professor at York University, says what's remarkable about the Chicks is they have tackled two major business problems at once: creating a new brand and finding a new customer base.

"Their (original) product is country music and the core audience for this type of music would typically be characterized as cultural conservatives clustered in the American Midwest," Joshi says.

The Bush controversy, however, created brand awareness among other segments of the listening audience and the new brand attempts to capitalize on that.

"Their current actions are designed to communicate with these new audiences (young, urban, progressive politics types)."

Certain brands appeal to "red" Republican states, says Lance Saunders, advertising executive at Leo Burnett. While others appeal to the "blue" Democratic states. Ford pickups, for example, would have red state appeal. Volvos and Subarus would appeal to blue states.

"They've crossed over," says Saunders about the Chicks' blue state transformation. "That's something Johnny Cash, Lyle Lovett and Dwight Yoakam have done."

The new group of fans might be smaller, but it includes blue state and red state fans who respect the women for speaking up, he adds.

Between 2003 and 2006, Renshaw and his team measured which of the band's attributes resonated most with fans.

"We saw things like authenticity and honesty – those scores went through the roof," says Renshaw. "They also continued to score incredibly high in the areas of patriotic and true American."

Brand management involving inanimate objects, says Renshaw, is less problematic than that which involves people.

"It is what it is," he says. "We are limited by the fact one plays the fiddle, one plays the banjo and the other one sings."

Renshaw's job wasn't to change the band but to emphasize to the audience those qualities that resonate most.

The band managed to accomplish this in part with the release of the documentary Shut Up & Sing at this year's Toronto International Film Festival.

The film follows the band in the wake of their problems in 2003.

"You see and feel for them," Saunders says. "You see how one comment snow-balled ... Does one off-hand comment justify that?"

But gradually they won new fans. The new album showcases the trio as strong women who stand by their values and for each other. Their top 40 hit, Not Ready to Make Nice, deals directly and unapologetically with what occurred: "I'm not ready to make nice/I'm not ready to back down/I'm still mad as hell/And I don't have time/To go round and round and round ..."

With the rapid descent in Bush's popularity and the waning support for the war, the Chicks are now seen as ahead of their time, adds Jerry Del Colliano, professor of music industry studies at the University of Southern California.

"It was one of their smartest decisions not to give in to the pressures to apologize," the professor says. "You couldn't ask more from management or a band to have the fortitude to stick with your convictions."

The band struggled with sagging ticket sales for last year's Accidents & Accusations tour, particularly in the southern United States where concerts had to be cancelled.

Renshaw points out, however, that while ticket sales were down 30 to 35 per cent from the previous tour, it was still among the top 30 grossing tours of 2006.

And ticket sales in some venues were exceptionally strong. The first show in Toronto sold out in eight minutes.

The tour was rearranged based on where the demand was. In some regions, the radio stations wouldn't sell the band advertising, says Renshaw, so the decision was made to pull out.

"It's about supply and demand," says Renshaw, about adding concerts in Australia. "We looked at where we had access to the mediums to deliver the audience and that's where we went."

While Taking the Long Road may not have sold as many albums, and the Accusations tour had fewer ticket sales, there's still a debate in the industry about the group's success.

Some industry observers say that when one album sells 50 million records, the band is a failure if its second record sells only half that number.

"That's ridiculous," Powers says. The band was once the most successful female act. "Once you achieve that, there's only one way to go and that's down."

What the Chicks have done, she says, could be a new trend.

"Maybe the Chicks are evolving as a new model in which they continue to be successful on a manageable scale and to figure out how to have longevity as artists and to satisfy themselves as artists."

http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/180443

stephanie
02-12-2007, 05:48 PM
I saw parts, the END was the best part! :wink2:

*sighs*
I definitely can tell I'm becoming an old fart..

I'm sounding like my parents when I was a kid and was listening to Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc...

My parents would shake their head and say, HOW can you listen to that shit..........

Wellllllllll. That's what I'm saying..........

about the music of today....:lmao:

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 05:53 PM
*sighs*

I'm sounding like my parents when I was a kid and was listening to Led Zeppelin, the Who, etc...

My parents would shake their head and say, HOW can you listen to that shit..........

I agree too...I'll tell ya story about how I taught my daughter about music sometime. I wanted to keep her away from the rap crap..It worked and she loves many different kinds of "music" now, and knows rap isn't.

stephanie
02-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I agree too...I'll tell ya story about how I taught my daughter about music sometime. I wanted to keep her away from the rap crap..It worked and she loves many different kinds of "music" now, and knows rap isn't.

Actually, something funny...
Is my older son loves the oldies from the 70's...

He did like some heavy metal, which I never really cared for...
But he stayed away from the Rap...Which I can't STAND...

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Actually, something funny...
Is my older son loves the oldies from the 70's...

He did like some heavy metal, which I never really cared for...
But he stayed away from the Rap...Which I can't STAND...

My daughter loves the 70's stuff too. :)

Insein
02-12-2007, 06:09 PM
hmmm. Im 25 and i listen to Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink floyd, the doors and the like.

But i do like alot of new stuff, except:
Most rap
All Country
All pop
Most Pop Rock

Rap and Pop are the worst prepackaged crap in the music industry. Country i just don't care for.

As for the grammy's, who hasnt known that they are clueless to what people listen to for years? Year after year an artist wins album of the year when they sold a pitiful amount. I know sales arent everything but when Steely Dan wins album of the year in 2002 over eminem, its a rigged show. I don't like rap but eminiem's Marshall Mathers LP was one of the best written and performed albums ever. So when aging steely dan, way past their prime wins album of the year for a throw away album in their golden years over one of the best albums of the decade, you know its bullshit.

Also, for the first ever heavy metal award back in 1988 or 89, they not only nominated Jethro Tull (lead singer Ian Anderson plays a flute, need i say more) but Jethro Tull won over the likes of Metallica and Megadeth. Shows exactly where they are in relation to the view of the people.

jackass
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM

You will have to share this Mr. P!

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 06:14 PM

Ok..I'll do that..give me a few mins.

jillian
02-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Amazing. I never once heard the Dixie Chicks' new stuff on any of our four country stations.

I'm sure. But they were all over pop radio. And that's what they won for.

jillian
02-12-2007, 06:27 PM
hmmm. Im 25 and i listen to Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink floyd, the doors and the like.

But i do like alot of new stuff, except:
Most rap
All Country
All pop
Most Pop Rock

That's funny. Cause I'm 40 and I listen mostly to alternative rock and top 40. I love the Chili Peppers, Nickelback, that kind of stuff. I love Jersey rock, too... Springsteen, Southside Johnny, Bon Jovi. The old stuff? Can't listen to Floyd at all. But love the Who, Stones and Doors... Jackson Browne, too.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM

I hear a lot of currently-played pop music thanks to having a 15 year old in the house, and I can honestly say I haven't heard any Dixie Chicks played. :dunno: I think the Grammy folks, much like the Academy with certain films, rewarded them for their anti-Bush politics.

jillian
02-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I hear a lot of currently-played pop music thanks to having a 15 year old in the house, and I can honestly say I haven't heard any Dixie Chicks played. :dunno: I think the Grammy folks, much like the Academy with certain films, rewarded them for their anti-Bush politics.

When "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice" came out. I heard it all over the place. Actually went out and bought the CD myself, both because I liked the song and,to be fair, as a show of support.

But, FWIW, I think them getting all the awards they did was absolutely NARAS giving the finger to the admin.

Personally, I thought the Chili Peppers had the best CD of the year with Stadium Arcadium.

Oh... and with a 9 year old, I get all the pop stuff... lol. He likes Move Along by the All Amerrican Rejects and we can listen to the stuff by The Fray and he loves Nickelback. (I have him pretty well-trained, though he's not into Bruce... *sigh*)

stephanie
02-12-2007, 07:00 PM

Your right, Abbey...That's all they were rewarded for..
Their washed out....That's their own fault..
Maybe they can take those statues and deposit them into their bank accounts....:cow::)

Grumplestillskin
02-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Kudos to the Dixie Chicks. They still had the ninth biggest selling album in the US..which is pretty high considering we live in the age of downloads...

Grumplestillskin
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I despise them, refuse to listen to them & think NO bands should bring politics into their music.

I totally disagree. Some of the best music in the world was/is political..

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM

Here it tis...

First “I taught her about music” is a bit of a stretch. It’s more like and appreciation for music.

I always listened to an oldies station when driving, 60’s, 70’s some early 80’s.

When my daughter started 6th grade I was lucky enough to be able to drive her to school or pick her up most days. I always had the radio on my oldies station.

I had to think fast one morning on the way to school when she protested the station. She didn’t like it; it wasn’t what everyone at school was listing to.

My solution was to make it a game. I said “Let’s see who can identify the most instruments in a piece of music”. So we did, one song after another, one day after another. She loved it (beating dad is cool, I guess) and the whole point for me was to show rap and some of the other stuff wasn’t music at all.

Now, here’s when I FIRST knew it worked.

One morning on the way to school I had left the radio on an AM talk station. I was thinking about something else and not paying attention to the radio. Then she asked me, “why is that on”? I knew what she meant but played dumb. The radio, she said, it’s on THE WRONG station. I laughed inside and told her to change it; she did, to the oldies station.

The second time I knew it worked is when she burned oldies onto a CD from the net!

She is 19 now and listens to all kinds of music, except rap and country. :)

Mr. P
02-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Your right, Abbey...That's all they were rewarded for..
Their washed out....That's their own fault..
Maybe they can take those statues and deposit them into their bank accounts....:cow::)

I know a better place they can stick em.:dev3:

5stringJeff
02-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Ahh. I avoid pop radio like I avoid rap... which is to say, like the plague.

Gaffer
02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
*sighs*

Me too Steph. Of course I don't even call it music. Unless they are actually singing and instruments are played.

The dixie twits will die a slow death as the money from their liberal support groups gives out. I stopped watching all the awards shows 30 years ago and haven't seen one since. Just a bunch of elitists patting themselves on the back.

jillian
02-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Ahh. I avoid pop radio like I avoid rap... which is to say, like the plague.

Heh! But that's where the money is for an artist. Those are the folks who go to concerts and buy music.

I like Eminem, Dr Dre, JayZ... :dunno:

manu1959
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM

so what you are saying is you don't like music.................

5stringJeff
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Heh! But that's where the money is for an artist. Those are the folks who go to concerts and buy music.

I do appreciate Dre (from my teenage years being an NWA fan) and Eminem (great skills, if not absolutely crude).

I don't like either pop or rap because there's almost no musical talent involved. Now, there are rappers who rap very well (like Eminem), or pop artists who dance well while lip-synching at concerts (Britney, Christina Aguilera), but that's not musical talent.

trobinett
02-12-2007, 07:28 PM
I'm sure the Dixie twits got exactly what they had coming to them.:boobies:

The music, and movie industry has an award for taking a shit, which is one of the awards the twits won.

All the best of Hollydreams to them.............:gives:

Pale Rider
02-12-2007, 07:34 PM
...Dixie Chicks from their perch atop the country music charts.

Whaaa? There's two major country stations here in Reno, and neither have EVER played the twits that I'm aware of, and I listen to those stations regularly.

Them winning the grammy's is a prime example of liberals patting liberals on the back. What a farce.

Remember "Buttslam Mountain". Same thing.

jillian
02-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I do appreciate Dre (from my teenage years being an NWA fan) and Eminem (great skills, if not absolutely crude).

I don't like either pop or rap because there's almost no musical talent involved. Now, there are rappers who rap very well (like Eminem), or pop artists who dance well while lip-synching at concerts (Britney, Christina Aguilera), but that's not musical talent.

Dre also actually has something to say. Eminem is absolutely crude, but he's also funny, and uses music in such a way that his stuff is *musical* even if it's not him creating the music (like in "Stan" or "Lose Yourself"). And his use of language (pure vocabulary) and syncing it with the rhythm is, I think unrivaled by any other rapper. Plus, I've never known another human who could talk that fast.

I know what you mean about the Brittney's and Chritinas, Nelly Furtado's and Rhiana's... but then you end up with a Gwen Stefani or a Shakira or a Kelly Clarkson, who can actually sing.

Abbey Marie
02-12-2007, 07:37 PM
When "I'm Not Ready to Make Nice" came out. I heard it all over the place. Actually went out and bought the CD myself, both because I liked the song and,to be fair, as a show of support.

But, FWIW, I think them getting all the awards they did was absolutely NARAS giving the finger to the admin.

Personally, I thought the Chili Peppers had the best CD of the year with Stadium Arcadium.

Oh... and with a 9 year old, I get all the pop stuff... lol. He likes Move Along by the All Amerrican Rejects and we can listen to the stuff by The Fray and he loves Nickelback. (I have him pretty well-trained, though he's not into Bruce... *sigh*)

I like the Rejects! And the Fray, too. Really, today's music (non-rap, ayway) isn't bad. It sure beats the heck out of the DISCO.

Maybe he will grow into Bruce. :)

Did you see Bruce at Giants Stadium in the 80's? Those stadium concerts were something else. I also saw him at the Bottom Line. Are you jealous? :) I had to wait 10 hours in line for the tix, but it was so worth it.

trobinett
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Dre also actually has something to say. Eminem is absolutely crude, but he's also funny, and uses music in such a way that his stuff is *musical* even if it's not him creating the music (like in "Stan" or "Lose Yourself"). And his use of language (pure vocabulary) and syncing it with the rhythm is, I think unrivaled by any other rapper. Plus, I've never known another human who could talk that fast.

I know what you mean about the Brittney's and Chritinas, Nelly Furtado's and Rhiana's... but then you end up with a Gwen Stefani or a Shakira or a Kelly Clarkson, who can actually sing.

We ARE on the same page when it comes to Kelly Clarkson, a real talent.:beer:

jillian
02-12-2007, 07:40 PM
We ARE on the same page when it comes to Kelly Clarkson, a real talent.:beer:

I actually have a soft spot for Kelly Clarkson. Don't tell anyone, but I have her stuff on my IPod. :dunno:

Funny story about that. My husband listens to Howard Stern and one day they did a whole thing on the show about how no one would admit to liking her, but every one of them had her stuff downloaded. Heh!

dan
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
As for the grammy's, who hasnt known that they are clueless to what people listen to for years? Year after year an artist wins album of the year when they sold a pitiful amount. I know sales arent everything but when Steely Dan wins album of the year in 2002 over eminem, its a rigged show. I don't like rap but eminiem's Marshall Mathers LP was one of the best written and performed albums ever. So when aging steely dan, way past their prime wins album of the year for a throw away album in their golden years over one of the best albums of the decade, you know its bullshit.

Also, for the first ever heavy metal award back in 1988 or 89, they not only nominated Jethro Tull (lead singer Ian Anderson plays a flute, need i say more) but Jethro Tull won over the likes of Metallica and Megadeth. Shows exactly where they are in relation to the view of the people.

Absolutely. The Grammys or Oscars or nearly any other award like that is nothing but a way for A) the industry to remind itself it's SOOO ahead of the curve, and for them to B) pat themselves on the back on a job well done.

I think Eminem's loss was probably as due to controversial material as anything else, but you are right about that album, it transcends the genre and deserves to be recognized as one of the great albums of its time.

Whaaa? There's two major country stations here in Reno, and neither have EVER played the twits that I'm aware of, and I listen to those stations regularly.

Them winning the grammy's is a prime example of liberals patting liberals on the back. What a farce.

Remember "Buttslam Mountain". Same thing.

Brokeback Mountain hardly won any of the Oscars it was nominated for, and everyone said it was because the Liberal academy was too scared of a backlash. Not quite the same thing.

I like Eminem, Dr Dre, JayZ...

I like these three a lot, too. I still listen to Jay-Z's black album pretty regularly, dude's a great storyteller.

Pale Rider
02-13-2007, 01:19 AM
Brokeback Mountain hardly won any of the Oscars it was nominated for, and everyone said it was because the Liberal academy was too scared of a backlash. Not quite the same thing.

It was the same in the sense that hollywierd fell all over themselves congratulating each other for being such enlightened masters of the universe, and nominated that pile of shit, faggot, soft porn flick as many times as they dared. It wasn't two months later and it was relegated to the two movies for ten bucks bin at WalMart. The dixie twits have been suffering the same fate, but hollywierd pretends they're not. But, that's what hollywierd does best.... "PRETEND".

Liberals congratulating liberals for nothing. Yes. Same thing.

dan
02-13-2007, 02:50 AM
It wasn't two months later and it was relegated to the two movies for ten bucks bin at WalMart.

Hey, don't knock that bin, I've bought plenty of great movies outta there! A little OVER THE TOP, anyone?

Liberals congratulating liberals for nothing. Yes. Same thing.

You're right about this.

5stringJeff
02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Dre also actually has something to say.

Well, nowadays, everybody wants to talk like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips - just a bunch of gibberish... guess they forgot about Dre. :D

Gwen Stefani's got punk/rock roots. Shakira started songwriting/composing at age eight. Kelly Clarkson is one of the better American Idols, who at least has a good singing voice. All three of them are head and shoulders above your average pop "musician."

jillian
02-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, nowadays, everybody wants to talk like they've got something to say, but nothing comes out when they move their lips - just a bunch of gibberish... guess they forgot about Dre. :D

Excellent! :clap:

Uhhh-aahh! Temper temper!
Mr. Dre? Mr. N.W.A.?
Mr. AK comin' straight outta Compton y'all better make way?

Gwen Stefani's got punk/rock roots. Shakira started songwriting/composing at age eight. Kelly Clarkson is one of the better American Idols, who at least has a good singing voice. All three of them are head and shoulders above your average pop "musician."

I didn't realize that about Shakira. No arguments about those three, though.

dan
02-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Gwen Stefani's got punk roots (well, ska roots technically, but same difference), but all of her solo stuff hurts my ears and my heart.

dan
02-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Stephen Colbert comments on the Grammys and the Dixie Chicks::D

<embed FlashVars='config=http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/xml/data_synd.jhtml?vid=82066%26myspace=false' src='http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/syndicated_player/index.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#006699' width='340' height='325' name='comedy_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

The ClayTaurus
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM

I don't like either pop or rap because there's almost no musical talent involved. Now, there are rappers who rap very well (like Eminem), or pop artists who dance well while lip-synching at concerts (Britney, Christina Aguilera), but that's not musical talent.I don't think it's fair to lump britney and christina in the same category...

Christina has a very powerful set of pipes, and I've never seen any evidence of lip-synching.

The ClayTaurus
02-13-2007, 04:00 PM

I know what you mean about the Brittney's and Chritinas, Nelly Furtado's and Rhiana's... but then you end up with a Gwen Stefani or a Shakira or a Kelly Clarkson, who can actually sing.Gwen Stefani solo should be relegated to european countries with goofy musical tastes, like Iceland. And I think you don't give enough credit to Furtado, especially if you lump her with Rhiana *shudder*

The ClayTaurus
02-13-2007, 04:02 PM

Gwen Stefani's got punk/rock roots. Shakira started songwriting/composing at age eight. Kelly Clarkson is one of the better American Idols, who at least has a good singing voice. All three of them are head and shoulders above your average pop "musician."I'm not really sure how you can claim Kelly Clarkson is head and shoulders above other talented voices who have the entirety of their material ghostwritten...

At least not from a talent level.

The ClayTaurus
02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
And, as a final thought, "good" "music" rarely makes it to radio.

The ClayTaurus
02-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Wait... one more... "My Humps" won a grammy? SERIOUSLY? *runs and cries in the corner*

Abbey Marie
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
When the Arctic Monkeys lost, I knew we were in for a bad night.

jillian
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Gwen Stefani solo should be relegated to european countries with goofy musical tastes, like Iceland. And I think you don't give enough credit to Furtado, especially if you lump her with Rhiana *shudder*

I just think Furtado is an unimpressive singer. I mean, she's ok... nothing earthshaking. Rhiana, I can't forgive her for ruining "Tainted Love".

dan
02-13-2007, 05:34 PM
Gwen Stefani solo should be relegated to european countries with goofy musical tastes, like Iceland.

You're on thin ice with that remark, buddy.....

http://i.realone.com/assets/rn/cms/2005/games_installer/Bjork_1_-_promo_2004_large.6433731.jpg
:clap: :2up: :bow3: :clap:

The ClayTaurus
02-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I just think Furtado is an unimpressive singer. I mean, she's ok... nothing earthshaking. Rhiana, I can't forgive her for ruining "Tainted Love".I certainly don't think she's techincally impressive, but she's at least shown an ability to write her own stuff. I think she's leaps and bounds ahead of Rihhaianniananna or however you spell it.

dan
02-13-2007, 06:25 PM
I certainly don't think she's techincally impressive, but she's at least shown an ability to write her own stuff. I think she's leaps and bounds ahead of Rihhaianniananna or however you spell it.

Regina Spektor blows every one of them out of the water.