PDA

View Full Version : Marine DI says he followed superiors

LiberalNation
12-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Well this is gona end up turning into one big ruckus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_re_us/marines_instructor_abuse;_ylt=AoqAVdnV6z_qilam3yPv iSlvzwcF

SAN DIEGO - A Marine drill instructor convicted of abusing 23 recruits says he has been ordered to testify against the very men who taught him the practices that led to his jail sentence and dishonorable discharge.

In his first interview since being charged, former Sgt. Jerrod Glass told The Associated Press that he expects to testify against his two drill instructors — Sgt. Robert C. Hankins, the senior instructor, and Sgt. Brian M. Wendel, whose court-martial begins Monday.

Glass, whose rank was reduced from sergeant to private, said he was ordered to testify by the commanding general at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Brig. Gen. Angela Salinas.

"I'm going to tell the truth. I'm going to tell them that everything I learned, I learned from Wendel and Hankins, and that they supervised it and condoned it. And that there were other members of the chain of command that condoned it as well," Glass said.

Wendel and Hankins have been charged with assault, maltreatment, dereliction of duty and making a false official statement for their alleged roles in abusing recruits between December 2006 and Feb. 10. Wendel, 30, of Columbus, Ohio, and Hankins, whose age and hometown were not provided, have pleaded not guilty.

Glass, 25, was convicted last month of eight counts of cruelty and maltreatment, destruction of personal property, assault and violating orders on how to properly treat recruits. He was sentenced to six months in the brig, a dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and the reduction in rank.

Glass said Friday by phone that he and his fellow drill instructors have been singled out as the Marine Corps tries to show the public that it is taking recruit abuse seriously.

"Recruit training is not being conducted any differently than it was before. It's not like all of the sudden this is happening," Glass told the AP. "I think it has to do with the Marine Corps not wanting to admit to the public what it takes to train somebody ... to go to war."

Glass said he wanted to light what he said were long-standing training practices.

"I just want the Marine Corps to say this is the way we conduct our recruit training so the individuals, and by individuals I mean drill instructors, aren't singled out," he said. "I'm not trying to force anything on Hankins and Wendel, I'm just going in to say what happened."

Wendel's attorney, Capt. Jahn Olson, and Hankins' attorney, Capt. Bow Bottomly, did not immediately respond to calls seeking comment.

Glass was accused of ordering one recruit to jump headfirst into a trash can and then pushing him deeper in the container. He was also accused of striking recruits with a tent pole and a heavy flashlight. None of the recruits was seriously injured.

Witnesses testified Glass routinely stomped on recruits' toiletry kits, breaking razors and soap containers for minor infractions like not displaying name tags properly. They also said Glass and another drill instructor forced them after meals to down liters of water in a ritual known as "waterbowling," an act banned by the Marine Corps' standard operations procedure manual.

"These terms ... 'waterbowl' and 'hygiene stomp,' I didn't invent them," he said. "How come everybody they brought in there to testify knew what those terms meant? I'm not the first person to invent that stuff."

Gunny
12-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Well this is gona end up turning into one big ruckus.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071208/ap_on_re_us/marines_instructor_abuse;_ylt=AoqAVdnV6z_qilam3yPv iSlvzwcF

This guy's full of shit. He thinks blaming the system will deflect attention from himself.

It is a violation of Recruit Training Regiment SOP to abuse recruits, period, and THAT is what we are taught in Drill Instructor School. Dirll Instructors who abuse recruits KNOW they are doing so, and it doesn't matter who else is doing it.

AFbombloader
12-11-2007, 09:51 PM
The truly sad thing about this whole thing is that he is not taking responsibility for his actions. And that surprises me coming from a Marine. But is does not surprise me coming from a 25 year old.

This will be a big mess, but the Corps will go on.

AF:salute:

82Marine89
12-11-2007, 10:05 PM
*Turns back on this piece of shit*

Gunny
12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
*Turns back on this piece of shit*

Agreed. He most definitely did not behave in the manner he was taught to.

The stress on Drill Instructors is horrendous, but the bottom line is ... a Drill Instructor abusing a recruit is a Drill Instructor out of control of himself and the situation.

But I WILL say this ... had I been relieved for cause and busted to private, that CG could kiss my ass before I'd testify. What's he going to do? Take away my birthday too?

LiberalNation
01-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Drill instructor convicted in abuse case

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080112/ap_on_re_us/marines_instructor_abuse;_ylt=AiLN6AutnNra65k2tYOv OslvzwcF

SAN DIEGO - A military jury on Friday convicted a senior drill instructor of dereliction of duty in the abuse of recruits at a Marine Corps training center.

However, the jury found Sgt. Robert Hankins not guilty of more serious charges of maltreating recruits, destroying personal property and other offenses.

Hankins is the senior of three drill instructors court-martialed in what prosecutors claim was rampant abuse of recruits at Marine Corps Recruit Depot between December 2006 and February 2007.

During the trial, a former drill instructor, Pvt. Jerrod Glass, testified that Hankins encouraged him to punish recruits for alleged infractions by destroying their hygiene kits.

Several former recruits testified he was a mentor who encouraged them to talk to him about their concerns.

Glass, 25, was convicted of eight counts of cruelty and maltreatment, destruction of personal property, assault and violating orders on how to properly treat recruits.

He was demoted, sentenced to six months in the brig, and was ordered to forfeit all pay and be dishonorably discharged upon completing his sentence.

Gunny
01-12-2008, 10:59 AM
Drill instructor convicted in abuse case

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080112/ap_on_re_us/marines_instructor_abuse;_ylt=AiLN6AutnNra65k2tYOv OslvzwcF

I'm still curious as to why this is even news. When you consider the number of recruits at any one time at both MCRD Sand Diego and MCRD Parris Island, and the number of Drill Instructors at both depots, this is nothing.

Drill Instructor School is like going through boot camp again only a lot tougher. Everyone is pushed beyond their limits, and everyone goes through rigid screening process, and the RTRSOP is drilled into your head. The only thing more they could do is place a memory card in your grape.

There always has been and always will be those that slip through the cracks, and depending on the severity of the violation, they always go to office hours or get court martialed.

pegwinn
01-12-2008, 02:41 PM
This guy's full of shit. He thinks blaming the system will deflect attention from himself.

It is a violation of Recruit Training Regiment SOP to abuse recruits, period, and THAT is what we are taught in Drill Instructor School. Dirll Instructors who abuse recruits KNOW they are doing so, and it doesn't matter who else is doing it.

Three Sgt's in a Plt? Scratching head wondering if the reporter is just too stupid to count rockers.

Sounds to me like the Pvt got just what he earned. Too bad civilians cannot understand things like this.

Yurt
01-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Three Sgt's in a Plt? Scratching head wondering if the reporter is just too stupid to count rockers.

Sounds to me like the Pvt got just what he earned. Too bad civilians cannot understand things like this.

It's because they understand only one thing -- military bad. So any little tidbit that "might" make the military look bad is a big deal. A wopping 3 bad apples and oh boy, they understand the military and this just proves the military is bad. Yet they sleep safe at night because of that very military....

Gunny
01-13-2008, 02:10 PM

He got what he deserved, and he indeed earned it by his own actions. There is no excuse for abusing recruits. It's a power trip and a loss of control, plain and simple.

rppearso
01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
When I went through army basic they hazed the hell out of us, they took a knife and cut up our uniforms and ripped our rooms to hell, they did so much fed up stuff it was not even funny, I wonder how this guy got caught and so many others get away with it, it seems there is no checks and balances in the military training system to make sure there is always a "watch dog" so to speak. Because of this I ended up getting myself out of the army national guard, this type of behavior is very prevalent in the military (at least in the army), I had to do some stuff I did not really want to do to get out but the military does not leave much room for people to just up and quite but if you want out bad enough they will let you go (without the whole DFR, AWOL etc etc). Anyways I hope this forum proves to be intellectually stimulationg and entertaining and largely free of moderation (with exception to swearing and death threats, im looking forward to a forum where I can finally debate without stiffling moderation)

Dilloduck
01-26-2008, 09:59 PM
When I went through army basic they hazed the hell out of us, they took a knife and cut up our uniforms and ripped our rooms to hell, they did so much fed up stuff it was not even funny, I wonder how this guy got caught and so many others get away with it, it seems there is no checks and balances in the military training system to make sure there is always a "watch dog" so to speak. Because of this I ended up getting myself out of the army national guard, this type of behavior is very prevalent in the military (at least in the army), I had to do some stuff I did not really want to do to get out but the military does not leave much room for people to just up and quite but if you want out bad enough they will let you go (without the whole DFR, AWOL etc etc). Anyways I hope this forum proves to be intellectually stimulationg and entertaining and largely free of moderation (with exception to swearing and death threats, im looking forward to a forum where I can finally debate without stiffling moderation)

Good luck and welcome. :popcorn:

theHawk
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Tearing up the barracks is a normal thing for DIs in basic to do and there is nothing illegal or wrong with it.
Though I've never heard of them cutting up uniforms. If they make you purchase new ones with your own money that would be wrong.

rppearso
01-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Tearing up the barracks is a normal thing for DIs in basic to do and there is nothing illegal or wrong with it.
Though I've never heard of them cutting up uniforms. If they make you purchase new ones with your own money that would be wrong.

Yep he took a pocket knife out and cut off buttons on our BDUs, I guess if I had stayed in the military and were expected to maintain my uniforms after basic I would have had to purchase new ones or taken them to be repaired, the cutting up of uniforms was only a small part of the crap I could not tolerate, lots of things are considered "ok" in the military that would never fly in the civilian world and are by no means considered "right" by most people. We were also made to roll in the pit until we puked up our dinner and then made to roll around in it and if you refused to do it (like I did) you got the crap hazed out of you verbally and the rest of the platoon had to do more becasue I refused to roll around until I puked and then roll in it, I think the only reason I dident get a towel party is because im about 220 lbs of pure muscle and had 2 good battle buddys that did not tolerate that crap we would cover for each other if one had to use the bath room during non authorized times sometimes we got caught and the whole platoon had to do rifle drills after about 4-5 weeks in the drills left us alone because one lost his voice yelling at me then I laughed when he couldent yell and he just got another drill to yell at me so that did not work out so well for me. I would sleep under my bed and in bath room stalls, one of my buddies that is ex navy said he wishs he could have been there it would have been a riot. And guess what after all of this they let me graduate, I ended up with an uncharachterized anyways but there was no ELS for me imagin if I were deployed in YOUR UNIT, that says alot about the basic training quality control.

LiberalNation
01-27-2008, 01:17 AM
I assumed some of that stuff was part of being in the military. It's certainly a different lifestyle choice but voluntary so I don’t see a big issue with it.

My dad had a similier experience. Got the shit kicked out of him in basic from the DI's from the stories he's told. Stomped on, kicked, bunch of stuff but he said he thought the games were a lot of fun at the time for him as a 17 yo kid. Tho he wanted to kill one of his DI's the first half of it but had a lot of respect for the guy by the end.

Psychoblues
01-27-2008, 01:26 AM
Whew!!!!!!!! What a speil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First thing, you gotta quit lying just to make your point, rp. That don't mean the moderators won't ban you anyway but you seriously need to end all that bullshit and start talking about things beyond yourself.

Just trying to be a friend, rp.

rppearso
01-27-2008, 01:31 AM
There is no lying, what I said is what happened. It is a lifestyle change for sure, I dont buy the voluntary bit though because you can never truely know what you are getting into until you are there, I chalk up joining the military to a very poor lapse in judgement on my part, thinking it was going to be what they said it would be (honor, tact, respect, etc) instead of using my better judgement.

pegwinn
01-27-2008, 01:35 AM
I am not going to call you a liar.

Where did you do basic? I've a nephew in the AG who is now at Ft Knox doing whatever the Army calls MOS school.

You had rooms? Did you get liberty on the weekends?

How tall are you?

rppearso
01-27-2008, 01:45 AM
I am not going to call you a liar.

Where did you do basic? I've a nephew in the AG who is now at Ft Knox doing whatever the Army calls MOS school.

You had rooms? Did you get liberty on the weekends?

How tall are you?

I did basic at ft leonard wood and I was a split train and did not finish my "MOS" which was OCS (officer candidate school, since I have a degree), I bailed out of the gaurd before flying to OCS which is a second basic training, had I finished OCS I was branched aviation and would probably be in iraq right now flying helicopters doing anything in iraq is not my idea of a good time. we had one big bay room with no doors and got about 4 hrs sleep (because of fire gaurd in full battle gear every night), out of the 9-10 weeks of basic we had one "family day" shortly before the end of basic, I think people in MOS school get liberty but not OCS. What is up with how tall I am.

I went to basic in 2005 and finally got my discharge in march of 07 and just got my papers a few weeks ago, that was a happy day.

pegwinn
01-27-2008, 01:53 AM
I did basic at ft leonard wood and I was a split train and did not finish my "MOS" which was OCS (officer candidate school, since I have a degree), I bailed out of the gaurd before flying to OCS which is a second basic training, had I finished OCS I was branched aviation and would probably be in iraq right now flying helicopters doing anything in iraq is not my idea of a good time. we had one big bay room with no doors and got about 4 hrs sleep (because of fire gaurd in full battle gear every night), out of the 9-10 weeks of basic we had one "family day" shortly before the end of basic, I think people in MOS school get liberty but not OCS. What is up with how tall I am.

I went to basic in 2005 and finally got my discharge in march of 07 and just got my papers a few weeks ago, that was a happy day.

Is it room or rooms? You said that they "ripped our rooms to hell". How would you be flying helos? I'm not really an expert on the Army. But, I thought (according to my nephew) that Ft Leonard Wood was for MP's and Engineers. Least that's what his buddy said. Help me out.

BTW, how tall did you say you were?

Psychoblues
01-27-2008, 02:01 AM
Seriously, rp. You have problems far beyond anything you will find help with in this particular forum. Have you talked to your VA advisor about the way you feel?

There is no lying, what I said is what happened. It is a lifestyle change for sure, I dont buy the voluntary bit though because you can never truely know what you are getting into until you are there, I chalk up joining the military to a very poor lapse in judgement on my part, thinking it was going to be what they said it would be (honor, tact, respect, etc) instead of using my better judgement.

Not talking to your VA practitioners would be another element of your poor judgement as you already allude that you have propensity.

rppearso
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
You think I have mental health issues, thats probably true, this is not the first time I have heard that before.

LiberalNation
03-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Convicted drill instructor gets clemency

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080305/ap_on_re_us/marines_instructor_abuse;_ylt=Aj74KjSKjZk2lBuG9JFN jfhvzwcF

SAN DIEGO - A former Marine drill instructor convicted of abusing 23 recruits has been granted clemency and released more than two months early.

The Associated Press confirmed Tuesday that Pvt. Jerrod Glass was quietly released Feb. 23 from the brig after the commanding general at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot signed off an a defense request for clemency.

Glass, 25, was convicted in November of eight counts of cruelty and maltreatment, destruction of personal property, assault and violating orders on how to properly treat recruits.

The former sergeant was sentenced to six months in the brig, a dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and a reduction in rank to private.

Brig. Gen. Angela Salinas granted the clemency, which was requested after the court-martials against two senior drill instructors also charged in the case, Marine Maj. Kristen Lasica said.

Lasica said Salinas was out of the country and could not comment on why the general made the decision to give Glass an early release.

Glass is on "appellate leave" from the Marine Corps, meaning he will not be paid but will be subject to Corps rules and regulations while his case is appealed, Lasica said.

Because Glass was sentenced to a dishonorable discharge, his appeal is automatic, she said. An appeal can take as long as five years.

Glass was one of three drill instructors court-martialed in what prosecutors say was the rampant abuse of recruits at the recruit depot between December 2006 and February 2007.

Initially charged with 225 counts of abuse, Glass was eventually tried on 11 and convicted of eight.

pegwinn
03-05-2008, 07:57 PM
Well that sucks. Of course they are following the example of the civilian prison system. Time off for good behaviour and all that. Clown should have been horsewhipped.