PDA

View Full Version : The Huckabee Contradiction

82Marine89
12-09-2007, 11:42 AM
Probably no one is more surprised about Mike Huckabee's sudden promotion to the Presidential varsity than Mike Huckabee. The self-described "paradoxical Republican" says he tends to "take sides of issues that I think people don't expect Republicans necessarily to join up with." Primary voters will have to decide if the former Arkansas Governor is more paradox than Republican, particularly on economic and tax policy.

There's always been a space for an antiabortion candidate in the GOP Iowa caucuses, and Mr. Huckabee seems to be sliding into that slot this cycle. He's a smooth and folksy orator, and religious voters like his purity on same-sex marriage, creationism and so forth. The ordained Southern Baptist preacher also isn't above subtly playing the religion card against Mitt Romney's Mormonism, to peel off evangelical Protestants. Asked last Sunday by ABC's George Stephanopoulos if Mormons were Christians, Mr. Huckabee dodged the question.

Some say Mr. Huckabee is the tribune of the "religious left," and that strikes us as about right. He exhibits protectionist instincts, distancing himself from Nafta and saying he would insist on penalties and barriers to countries that don't support his conception of "fair trade." He delivers populist sermons against income inequality, but in favor of farm subsidies and an expanded government role in health care. He regularly knocks Wall Street, and he borrows from the Democratic playbook with digs at "the rich."

The irony is that if he ever did win the nomination, Mr. Huckabee would be vulnerable to the same sort of attacks from the left, if not more so. The political contradiction of his economic policy is that, even as he campaigns as a populist, his signature tax proposal is the most radical reform imaginable--the so-called "fair tax."

Read the rest of the story here... (http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010967)

OCA
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Although I don't think that any Repub can defeat Hillary nominating Huckabee will ensure her victory.

12-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Although I don't think that any Repub can defeat Hillary nominating Huckabee will ensure her victory.

i am feling the same way about Huckabee. The more I learn about him the more i think: Jimmy Carter.

Hugh Lincoln
12-09-2007, 01:45 PM
The GOP would need a nominee twice as good as the best they have now (whoever that is) to beat Hillary.

Huckabee is looking worse and worse the more his record comes to light. I mean, if we're going to have a preacher for president, can we at least have one who sends illegals home and keeps criminals in jail?

OCA
12-09-2007, 02:39 PM
The GOP would need a nominee twice as good as the best they have now (whoever that is) to beat Hillary.

Its already over, to think any other way is ludicrous. This election will be about 1 thing, George Bush, and the country hates George Bush and just like the congressional elections of 2006 this one is going to be a landslide for Demos across the board.

nevadamedic
12-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Its already over, to think any other way is ludicrous. This election will be about 1 thing, George Bush, and the country hates George Bush and just like the congressional elections of 2006 this one is going to be a landslide for Demos across the board.

I disagree I think this election will be about the war. Obama Bin Laden, Kooknich, Dodd, Richardson, Edwards, Paul and Biden are constantly barking about that.

OCA
12-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I disagree I think this election will be about the war. Obama Bin Laden, Kooknich, Dodd, Richardson, Edwards, Paul and Biden are constantly barking about that.

Bush is the war halfwit.

nevadamedic
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Bush is the war halfwit.

Maybe but they are focusing on the war and not the President.

OCA
12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
Maybe but they are focusing on the war and not the President.

And the war is a presidential fuckup, your a fool if you think those two things are seperate.

nevadamedic
12-09-2007, 04:36 PM
And the war is a presidential fuckup, your a fool if you think those two things are seperate.

A President can't goto war alone. It would be a fuck up of the Conress and Senate as well. You also know where I stand on this issue, I don't believe it's a fuck up at all.

OCA
12-09-2007, 11:32 PM
A President can't goto war alone. It would be a fuck up of the Conress and Senate as well. You also know where I stand on this issue, I don't believe it's a fuck up at all.

Oh so strategically its been an overwhelming success?:laugh2::laugh2:

I think the only war/battle that was fought any worse was Bay Of Pigs.

Its Hillary 48 states to 2, especially if Giuliani or Huckabee get the nod.

OCA
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM

Also just who in the hell ran congress at that time? Thats right, Repubs.:laugh2:

Pale Rider
12-10-2007, 01:39 AM
Oh so strategically its been an overwhelming success?:laugh2::laugh2:

I think the only war/battle that was fought any worse was Bay Of Pigs.

Its Hillary 48 states to 2, especially if Giuliani or Huckabee get the nod.

I got a C-note that says hitlery can't beat whoever the repub is. You gotta be nuts to think she can.

nevadamedic
12-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Also just who in the hell ran congress at that time? Thats right, Repubs.:laugh2:

Yea but the Democrat's followed our lead pretty damn quickly :)

OCA
12-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I got a C-note that says hitlery can't beat whoever the repub is. You gotta be nuts to think she can.

Why Pale? Why is that nuts? Do you know how most of the country feels about Repubs right now? They think they are lower than snake shit what with a new scandal unfolding every week, the Demos could fucking run Barney "sausage smoker" Franks right now and he'd probablt beat the Repub. This vote will simply be a vote against Repubs.

Do I like it? No, not 1 bit, but i'm a realist and this is reality.

Your on for the c-note my friend.

OCA
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Yea but the Democrat's followed our lead pretty damn quickly :)

And just what in the hell does that have to do with anything? You sound like a kid who blames everything on someone else or tries to point out that his sister is doing something wrong to deflect from what he did wrong.

That is whats wrong with the Republican party, nobody takes responsibility for jack.

Roadhouse158
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Probably no one is more surprised about Mike Huckabee's sudden promotion to the Presidential varsity than Mike Huckabee. The self-described "paradoxical Republican" says he tends to "take sides of issues that I think people don't expect Republicans necessarily to join up with." Primary voters will have to decide if the former Arkansas Governor is more paradox than Republican, particularly on economic and tax policy.

There's always been a space for an antiabortion candidate in the GOP Iowa caucuses, and Mr. Huckabee seems to be sliding into that slot this cycle. He's a smooth and folksy orator, and religious voters like his purity on same-sex marriage, creationism and so forth. The ordained Southern Baptist preacher also isn't above subtly playing the religion card against Mitt Romney's Mormonism, to peel off evangelical Protestants. Asked last Sunday by ABC's George Stephanopoulos if Mormons were Christians, Mr. Huckabee dodged the question.

Some say Mr. Huckabee is the tribune of the "religious left," and that strikes us as about right. He exhibits protectionist instincts, distancing himself from Nafta and saying he would insist on penalties and barriers to countries that don't support his conception of "fair trade." He delivers populist sermons against income inequality, but in favor of farm subsidies and an expanded government role in health care. He regularly knocks Wall Street, and he borrows from the Democratic playbook with digs at "the rich."

The irony is that if he ever did win the nomination, Mr. Huckabee would be vulnerable to the same sort of attacks from the left, if not more so. The political contradiction of his economic policy is that, even as he campaigns as a populist, his signature tax proposal is the most radical reform imaginable--the so-called "fair tax."

Read the rest of the story here... (http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010967)

In my area, Huckabee is very popular for some of the reasons in your post. He isn't a partisan politician. He has views from both sides. He isn't a conservative, although socially he is, and he isn't a liberal, although some of his economic beliefs lean that way. He is appealing to some of the democratic voters that are more socially conservative, and he is also appealing to a lot of middle class republicans and independents.