PDA

View Full Version : These Stories Keep Coming, Even From MSM

Kathianne
12-09-2007, 06:20 PM
I stand in awe:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071209/ap_on_re_us/wife_enlists

Wife takes up husband's Army enlistment

By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press WriterSun Dec 9, 11:43 AM ET

More than a year after Spc. Alejandro Albarran lost part of his right leg in an explosion in Iraq, he still hasn't decided whether he'll stay in the Army.

"Right now, I'm leaning against it," said the 20-year-old infantryman, looking ahead with distaste to a possible desk job.

Whatever he decides, he won't be leaving Army life behind — because his wife has enlisted to take his place in uniform.

"After everything he's gone through — and he loves the Army — he kind of inspired me," said Janay Albarran. "I made him a promise that I would finish what he started."

While he underwent five-day-a-week rehabilitation to recover his balance and strength on a prosthetic leg at an Army rehabilitation facility in San Antonio, she was in boot camp at Fort Jackson, S.C., learning to shoot a rifle and stand in formation.

Janay Albarran graduated from basic training on Friday, gaining the rank of private. The couple's 2-year-old daughter is staying with a grandmother in Arizona.

Roughly 24,000 of the Army's soldiers, about 9 percent of the force, are married to other soldiers. The Army doesn't have any statistics on how many join after a spouse or family member is badly wounded in combat, but a spokeswoman, Maj. Anne Edgecomb, said she's heard of people joining after the injury or death of a sibling and at least one woman who joined after her husband was killed in combat.

"The courage of our soldiers and their families is remarkable," she said....

Anyone who says that the youth of America are inferior to what has gone before, is just wearing blinders. Those that were caught in Korea were not appreciated, while those caught in Vietnam were vilified. In both cases most of those serving were conscripted, which somehow makes their treatment much worse. This generation though, well they have something their grand dads didn't for the most part, they knowingly got involved in it. Not just grandsons, but also grand daughters!