PDA

View Full Version : Got a new TV

darin
12-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Picked up this Magnavox (Philips) 42" 1080p - delivered this weekend.

The picture quality on HD is FANTASTIC. VERY VERY good - especially considering we paid less than $800 for the piece.

however - showed up with a green/yellow band. :( I called the maker the day we got the TV - today a guy will come over to diagnose the problem and order the repair parts. The band isn't super-bothersome all the time; but it's noticeable. Once it's fixed, the picture will be top-notch.

http://www.sph33r.net/upload/files/16/newtv_prob.jpg

Mr. P
12-11-2007, 11:19 AM

The picture quality on HD is FANTASTIC. VERY VERY good - especially considering we paid less than $800 for the piece.

however - showed up with a green/yellow band. :( I called the maker the day we got the TV - today a guy will come over to diagnose the problem and order the repair parts. The band isn't super-bothersome all the time; but it's noticeable. Once it's fixed, the picture will be top-notch.

It's new, won't they just replace it instead of a repair?

Pale Rider
12-11-2007, 11:25 AM

Now you'll need a 1080P sourse/input before you'll see what it can REALLY do. The highest resolution of broadcast/cable/dish is 1080i. I've got the same problem. I've been watching autions on ebay for the Samsung DP-1400 high def BR DVD player. A very nice unit that will play not only BR DVD's, but all your old DVD's and CD's as well, and it will upscale those old DVD's to 1080P. It will also decode and play the new high def sound tracks, PCM Audio and Legacy dts 5.1 Dolby Digital, and Dolby TrueHD. Of course then you'll need a new receiver that will decode THAT... :rolleyes:

It never ends brother.

darin
12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
It's new, won't they just replace it instead of a repair?

I'm guessing they're repair it - but we won't know until the (contracted) technician makes his assessment. We got it online from the manufacturer - I'm sure they'll take care of us fine. :)

Now you'll need a 1080P source/input before you'll see what it can REALLY do. The highest resolution of broadcast/cable/dish is 1080i.

Absolutely! Any suggestions?

nevadamedic
12-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Demand a replacement TV. Once problems start they keep coming. You should also get a HD DVD player or atleast an up conversion one(you can get a good sony one for about $100) you wont believe the picture. Also with the up conversion one you can play your existing DVD's.

darin
12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I can't believe there's any data to show 'once a problem starts it keeps coming back'. Have any model numbers of DVD players which are 'upped'? Any sugestions?

Missileman
12-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I can't believe there's any data to show 'once a problem starts it keeps coming back'.

There are the occasional lemons that will never work correctly. Repaired sets are for the most part as dependable as new ones.

darin
12-11-2007, 03:43 PM
thanks! :)

Mr. P
12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
There are the occasional lemons that will never work correctly. Repaired sets are for the most part as dependable as new ones.

Yeah...but on the other hand you bought NEW not one in need of repair.

That's my angle anyway.

nevadamedic
12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
I can't believe there's any data to show 'once a problem starts it keeps coming back'. Have any model numbers of DVD players which are 'upped'? Any sugestions?

I have the Sony one myself. You have to have an HDMI input on your TV and you have to get the HDMI cable which I reccommend Monster. The two I reccommend are both Sony Model: DVPNS77H/B which is $99.99 and Model: DVP-NS90V which is $199.99 but onsale on Best Buy's website for $179.99, this is the one I have and it's awesome.

darin
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM
I have HDMI from my cable box already. There's no way I'd spend more than about $4 on an HDMI cable; I've never seen a difference between cables. I'll look at those models - thanks much!

glockmail
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Not to mention you can usually negotiate an extended warrantee out of the deal. I did that with the first TV I ever bought (last one- no box, so I asked for the extended and they gave it) and I still have it after 21 years. Manufacturers and retailers HATE open-box returns. It destroys their profits.

Missileman
12-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah...but on the other hand you bought NEW not one in need of repair.

That's my angle anyway.

If they can replace the bad circuit board inside with a new one the set IS as good as new.

Mr. P
12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
If they can replace the bad circuit board inside with a new one the set IS as good as new.

IF, MAYBE...yep..

Maybe it's just me, maybe old school, but if it doesn't work properly out of the box, it should be replaced or at least discounted.

darin
12-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Did you guys miss the part where this 42" LCD 1080p was less than $800 shipped? :) As long as Magnavox/Philips makes it right, We're e substantially ahead of the ~$1412.22 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7756623) we'd have to had spent at WalMart. :)

Mr. P
12-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Did you guys miss the part where this 42" LCD 1080p was less than $800 shipped? :) As long as Magnavox/Philips makes it right, We're e substantially ahead of the ~$1412.22 (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7756623) we'd have to had spent at WalMart. :)

Makes ya wonder if it ain't some 'gray' market stuff, huh? :poke:

darin
12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
it's not gray market - it's being fixed by the manufacturer's warranty. :)

darin
12-11-2007, 06:23 PM
By the Way - NM; I found both those units cheaper at bhphotovideo.com :D

I think we'll hold off getting something; I want to put further monies towards an Xbox 360.

Mr. P
12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
it's not gray market - it's being fixed by the manufacturer's warranty. :)

That's a good thing. Let us know when that happens...K? :poke:

nevadamedic
12-11-2007, 07:08 PM
I have HDMI from my cable box already. There's no way I'd spend more than about $4 on an HDMI cable; I've never seen a difference between cables. I'll look at those models - thanks much!

I guarantee you'll notice a different with those dvd players. The best thing is you can use your dvd's that you already have and you don't have to buy HD or Blu Ray dvd's. Granted it's not completly High Definition but it's so close you won't notice the difference.

Also you really can tell the difference. I paid $100 for my HDMI cable and I bought the cheap one and it had a crisper picture. Also you have to run seperate sound cables and I suggest Monster as well, you can get a cheap set of those for like 12.00 eventhough I bought the high end for 50. Another thing I might reccommend is a Monster Power Bar. You don't need the real expensive one. Just get one that is not just a surge protector but a clean power distributor. You will notice a difference and it will extend the life of your TV. I have one on my 60'' and I think I paid $199 for it.

By the Way - NM; I found both those units cheaper at bhphotovideo.com :D

I think we'll hold off getting something; I want to put further monies towards an Xbox 360.

You you watch movies it's a waste not to use it to the capacity. I'm sure you will find it cheaper at a lot of places I just told you Best Buy because it's a site I know that has both of them. I think Best Buy has the cheap one on sale for $79.99. I can email you a 12 percent off coupon of mine that im not going to use if you want as well.

darin
12-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I guarantee you'll notice a different with those dvd players. The best thing is you can use your dvd's that you already have and you don't have to buy HD or Blu Ray dvd's. Granted it's not completly High Definition but it's so close you won't notice the difference.

Righto.

Also you really can tell the difference. I paid $100 for my HDMI cable and I bought the cheap one and it had a crisper picture. Also you have to run seperate sound cables and I suggest Monster as well, you can get a cheap set of those for like 12.00 even though I bought the high end for 50. Another thing I might reccommend is a Monster Power Bar. You don't need the real expensive one. Just get one that is not just a surge protector but a clean power distributor. You will notice a difference and it will extend the life of your TV. I have one on my 60'' and I think I paid $199 for it.

I'll try it from a place who'll give me a refund when there is no difference in the picture. :D

Why would I need to run sound cables, too?

You you watch movies it's a waste not to use it to the capacity. I'm sure you will find it cheaper at a lot of places I just told you Best Buy because it's a site I know that has both of them. I think Best Buy has the cheap one on sale for $79.99. I can email you a 12 percent off coupon of mine that im not going to use if you want as well.

I know it's not a waste to use it to it's max capacity. I'm just saying I want to save my money because I'd rather have an XBox 360 than a HD DVD. Thanks for the offer for the coupon - I'll make due watching my dvd's in 420p. :-/

:)

nevadamedic
12-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Righto.

I'll try it from a place who'll give me a refund when there is no difference in the picture. :D

Why would I need to run sound cables, too?

I know it's not a waste to use it to it's max capacity. I'm just saying I want to save my money because I'd rather have an XBox 360 than a HD DVD. Thanks for the offer for the coupon - I'll make due watching my dvd's in 420p. :-/

:)

The HDMI doesn't carry sound if you have a surround sound system.

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 01:13 AM
OK... again... nm is giving out some bad info here. HDMI DOES, in fact, carry AUDIO. (See inserted article.) The reason you may have to run a separate audio cable, i.e., digital or optic, is because you're RECEIVER isn't set up to decode the digital "audio" signal off the HDMI. I just bought the top of line Pioneer receiver, and I have to run a separate audio cable too. It appears you won't find a receiver that decodes the audio signal off HDMI 1.3, which is the newest, until you get up in the $1K+ category of receivers. Denon AVR-3808CI, Onkyo TX-SR875, Sony DA5300ES, etc.. That's why I hooked my DVD player up to my TV via HDMI and skipped the receiver, and ran a separate digital cable for audio to that. That way I save the cost of a second HDMI cable also. I can watch movies on my TV from the DVD player via HDMI, and if it's later at night and I want to be a little quite, I listen to the TV. YES, AUDIO IS INCLUDED ON THE HDMI CABLE!!!!

Now, the only source I'm aware of to produce a 1080P signal is either a high definition DVD player, or a game box, i.e., Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and of those, I believe the PS3 is the only one that will play movies. Thing is with that, yes you'll get the 1080P picture, but the PS3 isn't set up to decode the new high definition sound tracks, and, as far as I know, it won't play any of your old DVD's or CD's, but again, if you want to hear the new high def sound tracks, you'll have to upgrade your amp to one of the receivers I mentioned above, or one similar. If you want games and high def movies, and don't give a rats about the new HD sound tracks, then get a PS3. If you want high def movies AND to be able to hear the new HD sound tracks, you need to get a good HD DVD player. Either BD or HD DVD, or one that plays both like the LG. But you're looking at $1K there again too. Personally, I'm going to buy a Samsung DP1400 Blue Ray DVD player. Yes it only plays BD, but I'm not going to buy both BD and HD DVD's. I'm going to buy one or the other. But the Samsung plays all your old DVD's and CD's as well, and it upscales all those old 480i DVD's to 1080P. Not TRUE 1080P mind you, it's morphing a lot of stuff in, but it does a good job of it. Your old movies will never have looked so good. AND the Samsung, on ebay, is a smokin' deal when you can get one for around $300!

The practicalities of HDMI

HDMI uses a 19-core cable with a high-density connector that is a little larger than a USB plug. The connector is convenient, carrying all required signals from source to destination in one go. For the installer, the connector is small - around 1" in width - and designed for pulling through a 2"x4" beam. Unlike DVI, there are no computer-style thumbscrews at each side of the connector to get caught inside walls.

An HDMI lead

HDMI is a high-bandwidth point-to-point connection that supports two-way communication, and ensures security by constantly handshaking between 'source' and 'sink' components using the HDCP protocol. Should the link be broken, data transmission stops, meaning only correctly approved and licensed equipment can be used successfully. Illegal products that do not transmit the required digital 'keys' will not be authenticated, and data transmission will fail.

Compatibility between devices is facilitated using equipment identification signalling based on the E-EDID (Enhanced Extended Display Identification Data) standard. This first quizzes the receiving device about its abilities, and then only allows signals to be sent that the receiving device can read.

Audio compatibility

HDMI's audio capabilities vary, depending on which HDMI standard is employed. While these are developing all the time, at the time of writing, the situation is as follows:

V1.0 - two-channel PCM audio up to 48kHz/24-bit including standard Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 bitstreams.
V1.1 - up to 8-channel PCM audio up to 192kHz/24-bit.
V1.2 - as V1.1, plus DSD audio (for SACD) at 1.824Gb/s.
V1.3 - (proposed) as above, plus Dolby Digital+ and DTS-HD enhanced audio.

The above list shows that HDMI's audio applications are far-reaching. Multichannel audio can be moved from one product to another in its full-bandwidth digital glory. This area has been poorly served in the past, with only the iLink standard being used in a proprietary form by a few manufacturers for DVD-Audio and SACD. HDMI's totally secure transmission will also mean that decoding of surround information need not necessarily have to take place within a receiver/processor.

An obvious benefit here might be that a new type of source component such as a disc player using new audio codecs, could output pre-decoded audio in full resolution over HDMI to an audio control centre such as a receiver. This would mean greater longevity for the receiver/processor without sacrificing quality or compatibility. No matter where decoding takes place, HDMI should offer plenty of options for the secure audio transmission needed for developing DVD-HD and Blu-Ray formats, and perhaps beyond.

The Arcam DV29 DVD player with HDMI V1.1 output including multichannel audio

Audio performance matters

The performance of any digital audio system depends on accurate clocking. Any errors in clock accuracy are measured as jitter - the higher the jitter the less accurate the signal and, typically, the poorer the resulting sound quality. Using current implementations, HDMI audio appears to have a relatively poor jitter performance meaning that, although mainstream consumers will find the resulting sound quality rather good, it is unlikely to satisfy audiophiles. A number of manufacturers intend to cure this issue by developing better clock recovery techniques, so in time, the problem should be resolved.

The very high video data rates supported by HDMI also means that the cable length that can be used is limited. Distances of 20-30m are possible for standard-definition video (480/576 lines), whereas a 10-15m limit is common when passing high-definition pictures such as 720p and 1080i. Tight bends in the cable can also prove problematic, causing minute timing differences between the 19 cores of the cable, and since HDMI operates at tremendous speed - well into the Gigabits per second realm - these timing differences can be terminal. Such problems could be solved if longer cable lengths were possible, and several companies are already offering repeater boxes and fibre optic cable converters for HDMI, so cable length is unlikely to be a problem long-term.

The performance benefits for video and the sheer convenience of HDMI far outweigh any difficulties. High-definition video can be an addictive experience for customers, and HDMI, due to its copy protection regime, may prove the only legal way to connect from DVD, set top box or other source, to display.

Conclusion

The benefits of HDMI are clear, and its support by hundreds of manufacturers and software providers suggests a positive future. The growth of home cinema and high-definition television are driving the widespread adoption of the HDMI interface, and for some content, the security it offers has made it a mandatory inclusion in the signal chain. Next-generation gaming devices are almost certain to use HDMI for their high-definition outputs, and PCs, especially media centre types, will almost certainly follow, meaning HDMI will soon become part of our everyday lives.

HDMI's audio capabilities are constantly developing and, short-term issues aside, the security and bandwidth it provides are certain to ensure that its use becomes commonplace. In recent years, sound quality within home entertainment systems has often come a poor second to picture size, with large portions of the budget being diverted to the latest projectors and flat panel screens. The fact that so much development effort has taken place to allow very high audio performance over the HDMI interface suggests that this may change, and that customers and studios are demanding more from their audio systems, be it from TV, DVD, video games or even good old music.

Geoff Meads is Brand Manager for Arcam, manufacturer of high-performance home audio and video equipment.

http://hiddenwires.co.uk/resourcesarticles2005/articles20051201-02.html

darin
12-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Pale. :)

Thing is - we won't have more than a 3.1 audio set up - center, L+R, and Sub. Here's the receiver I'll use to in-wall Klipsch fronts i've yet to purchase, and a Sub I've already had: http://www.tvauthority.com/Audio-Receivers/Harman-Kardon-AVR230.asp?aff=5183

Doesn't seem to have HDMI. :( Also - the TV has no outputs, so yeah - will likely need audio cables.

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks Pale. :)

Thing is - we won't have more than a 3.1 audio set up - center, L+R, and Sub. Here's the receiver I'll use to in-wall Klipsch fronts i've yet to purchase, and a Sub I've already had: http://www.tvauthority.com/Audio-Receivers/Harman-Kardon-AVR230.asp?aff=5183

Doesn't seem to have HDMI. :( Also - the TV has no outputs, so yeah - will likely need audio cables.

You should be fine hooked up the same way I am. One good HDMI cable going from your DVD player to the TV, and either a digital or optical cable to the receiver for audio, and if your TV has built in speakers, you should be able to watch a movie over the TV and listen to the TV's speakers, if you so desire. I can on my JVC. But here's the clincher, if you get say a PS3 and want to watch movies on that because it plays high def, you're TV is going to HAVE to have more than one HDMI input, if you're already using one from your DVD player. Or you could use the "component" outputs, (red, green, blue, L -R audio), from your DVD player to the TV, which would be plenty good in the resolution department for regular 480i DVD's. You want to reserve that HDMI input for your high def source. Now if you buy a receiver with more than one HDMI source input, you can use it as a HDMI switching source to your TV if your TV only has one HDMI input. I think most TV's do. Mine has two. My Pioneer VSX-1017TXV receiver has four HDMI inputs.

darin
12-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks Tom - REALLY :)

My TV Has two HDMI inputs. What model DVD do you have?

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks Tom - REALLY :)
No problem brother. I might be a biker/cowboy, but when it comes to audio/video, I'm just a GEEK... :o

My TV Has two HDMI inputs. What model DVD do you have?

I have a Denon DVD-1930. It plays DVD Audio and Super Audio multi channel CD's, and has progressive scan. It also has Burr Brown DA converters and the Faroudja video engine which are top of the line, and it upscales to 1080i. A nice unit, but not high def. Denon has yet to come out with a high def DVD player, which they say will be out early next year. It'll be a Blue Ray player. For the money, I'm looking at the Samsung BD-P1400 to replace mine. It does the same thing as the Sony BDP-S500, but for less money.

darin
12-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks again - maybe I can swing one more Present to myself? :D

5stringJeff
12-13-2007, 11:26 AM

That's awesome Darin. I bought our Sanyo 42" 1080 HD LCD for $800 at Walmart this past summer. It's made me LOVE TV. On the negative side, though, HD has me spoiled. I now hate to watch "normal" TV.

nevadamedic
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
OK... again... nm is giving out some bad info here. HDMI DOES, in fact, carry AUDIO. (See inserted article.) The reason you may have to run a separate audio cable, i.e., digital or optic, is because you're RECEIVER isn't set up to decode the digital "audio" signal off the HDMI. I just bought the top of line Pioneer receiver, and I have to run a separate audio cable too. It appears you won't find a receiver that decodes the audio signal off HDMI 1.3, which is the newest, until you get up in the $1K+ category of receivers. Denon AVR-3808CI, Onkyo TX-SR875, Sony DA5300ES, etc.. That's why I hooked my DVD player up to my TV via HDMI and skipped the receiver, and ran a separate digital cable for audio to that. That way I save the cost of a second HDMI cable also. I can watch movies on my TV from the DVD player via HDMI, and if it's later at night and I want to be a little quite, I listen to the TV. YES, AUDIO IS INCLUDED ON THE HDMI CABLE!!!!

Now, the only source I'm aware of to produce a 1080P signal is either a high definition DVD player, or a game box, i.e., Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and of those, I believe the PS3 is the only one that will play movies. Thing is with that, yes you'll get the 1080P picture, but the PS3 isn't set up to decode the new high definition sound tracks, and, as far as I know, it won't play any of your old DVD's or CD's, but again, if you want to hear the new high def sound tracks, you'll have to upgrade your amp to one of the receivers I mentioned above, or one similar. If you want games and high def movies, and don't give a rats about the new HD sound tracks, then get a PS3. If you want high def movies AND to be able to hear the new HD sound tracks, you need to get a good HD DVD player. Either BD or HD DVD, or one that plays both like the LG. But you're looking at $1K there again too. Personally, I'm going to buy a Samsung DP1400 Blue Ray DVD player. Yes it only plays BD, but I'm not going to buy both BD and HD DVD's. I'm going to buy one or the other. But the Samsung plays all your old DVD's and CD's as well, and it upscales all those old 480i DVD's to 1080P. Not TRUE 1080P mind you, it's morphing a lot of stuff in, but it does a good job of it. Your old movies will never have looked so good. AND the Samsung, on ebay, is a smokin' deal when you can get one for around $300!

No, I said it doesn't carry sound to a surround sound system. It is designed to go from the DVD player to the TV. You have to run seperate cables if you have a surround sound system.

LG and Samsung make crap products. We had a high return/repair rate for them when I worked at Sears and Best Buy. Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba are the way to go.

darin
12-13-2007, 12:07 PM
That's awesome Darin. I bought our Sanyo 42" 1080 HD LCD for $800 at Walmart this past summer. It's made me LOVE TV. On the negative side, though, HD has me spoiled. I now hate to watch "normal" TV.

RIGHT there with you. Couple the FANTASTIC picture of HD with the 'worse than tube' picture of Non-HD when viewed on an HD box and I haven't left ESPN-HD, NFL-HD, Discovery-HD, or the local HD channels. The other, what? 70? channels we have are dead to me. Even my beloved Sci-Fi. :(

Pale Rider
12-13-2007, 06:09 PM
No, I said it doesn't carry sound to a surround sound system. It is designed to go from the DVD player to the TV. You have to run seperate cables if you have a surround sound system.

LG and Samsung make crap products. We had a high return/repair rate for them when I worked at Sears and Best Buy. Sony, Pioneer and Toshiba are the way to go.

Jesus nm, sometimes your worse than dense. YES it DOES carry AUDIO. The BEST audio. 7.1 audio in fact.

What's wrong with you man? Didn't you read one word of the article I posted on HDMI?

Pale Rider
12-13-2007, 06:14 PM
RIGHT there with you. Couple the FANTASTIC picture of HD with the 'worse than tube' picture of Non-HD when viewed on an HD box and I haven't left ESPN-HD, NFL-HD, Discovery-HD, or the local HD channels. The other, what? 70? channels we have are dead to me. Even my beloved Sci-Fi. :(

PBS-HD has some really good programs too.

I don't have a high definition block that I pay for, but I still get nine channels of it that my digital tuner picks up off the cable. From 86-1 to 105-3. It's all my local channels in HD up to PBS HD. Just wait until February of '09, and that's what ALL of it will be. Digital high def. All old analog TV's with 4.3-1 aspect ratios will be obsolete.

I bought that Samsung BD-P1400 last night at Best Buy. Didn't intend to, but it was smokin' deal. They had one set up playing a demonstration disc of how much better 1080P is than regular definition, so I asked what their price was on it, and they had it on sale. $100 off plus two free Blue Ray movies. I could NOT resist THAT! I also had a Reward Zone coupon for $20 more off, so I got it for pennies over $300. Problem is they were sold out. SHIT! I was so PUMPED to bring it home and PLUG IT IN, because I picked 'At Worlds End' and 'The Order of the Phoenix' for the movies. It should be in by Saturday, so Saturday night is HIGH DEF movie night for me... :dance:

So... know anybody that wants to buy a gently used, adult owned, non smoking environment Denon 1920 DVD player? :D