PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting you're spouse for Christmas?

glockmail
12-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Here's where I've been most of the day:

Russian CZs, 12.5c equivalent, 14K yellow gold setting.

manu1959
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Here's where I've been most of the day:

Russian CZs, 12.5c equivalent, 14K yellow gold setting.

very nice....if i got my wife cz she would kill me.....

glockmail
12-11-2007, 09:41 PM
very nice....if i got my wife cz she would kill me..... We watched a PBS special on DeBeers about 15 years ago and after that she almost sold the "real" engagment ring that I had bought her- with the obligatory 2 months salary. (Yeah, they have guidelines on that.) Four years ago I bought her some CZ earings at JC Penny
with the cheap settings that they used to make and she liked 'em. I'm guessing she'll like this better.

Cheyenne
12-11-2007, 10:21 PM
We watched a PBS special on DeBeers about 15 years ago and after that she almost sold the "real" engagment ring that I had bought her- with the obligatory 2 months salary. (Yeah, they have guidelines on that.) Four years ago I bought her some CZ earings at JC Penny
with the cheap settings that they used to make and she liked 'em. I'm guessing she'll like this better.

That's gorgeous! You got it at a jewelry store?

There are a lot of gals today that are opting for CZ's for their engagement ring using the money saved towards a house or some other significant purchase.
Then there are still others that demand a high quality diamond (the average is 1 carat). Reputable jewelers now carry info on the diamonds they sell so you know whether they are blood diamonds or not.
Somehow we still try to compare the size of the stone to the love a man has for the woman.

manu1959
12-11-2007, 10:24 PM
We watched a PBS special on DeBeers about 15 years ago and after that she almost sold the "real" engagment ring that I had bought her- with the obligatory 2 months salary. (Yeah, they have guidelines on that.) Four years ago I bought her some CZ earings at JC Penny

you are a lucky man......my wife buys her own jewlery

glockmail
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
That's gorgeous! You got it at a jewelry store?

There are a lot of gals today that are opting for CZ's for their engagement ring using the money saved towards a house or some other significant purchase.
Then there are still others that demand a high quality diamond (the average is 1 carat). Reputable jewelers now carry info on the diamonds they sell so you know whether they are blood diamonds or not.
Somehow we still try to compare the size of the stone to the love a man has for the woman.

www.jewelersdirect.com (http://www.jewelersdirect.com)

I don't like to shop at jewelry stores because of the condenscending attitutudes of the clerks when you are talking about CZs. If they can't sell you a $30K piece they treat you like shit. And JC Penny's, et al, has crap for settings.

Gals are smart for going for these. They are nearly as hard as a diamonds, are actually heavier, and always perfect.

The "blood diamond" industry is an issue, of course, but the fact is that DeBeers has 55 gallon drums of raw diamonds in warehouses and agreements with other producers to control the supply, artificially inflating the prices.

Also as part of the PBS show we learned that 3M (or some other US company) figured out how to make "real" carbon-based diamonds in the lab, and when DeBeers found out about it, met with the owners in a secret meeting and the company suddenly stopped making them. Its not hard to imagine what took place in that meeting.

DeBeers has managed to control this cartel for decades but the facts are that:

1. This type of business practice is illegal in the US; and
2. A new huge find by a "rouge" producer, or a break in the deal with 3M, could wipe out the value of all existing diamonds in a day.

you are a lucky man......my wife buys her own jewlery Have her watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-sFSmho4dU

darin
12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
42" 1080p LCD TV. :) And two kittens.

glockmail
12-12-2007, 09:43 AM
42" 1080p LCD TV. :) And two kittens.
Wrong. You got the TV for you.

Roadrunner
12-12-2007, 09:49 AM
We don't give each other gifts anymore. Instead we take the money we would have spent and donate it to local charities. Have done that for quite a few years now. To us, that seems to be the real spirit of Christmas.

darin
12-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Actually, the TV was HER idea. She wanted a flat-panel for the bedroom to get rid of a dresser which mostly just holds a tube TV. Thing is, after getting the TV she decided she'd like it best in the livingroom. :D

The Xbox360 - whenever we get that - will be for me. Course, I AM getting too old for video games I think. :(

For those buying jewelry - here's a tip.

When buying a diamond, Carat weight should be among the last consideration. Color then Clarity then Cut, THEN Carat Weight - all for the Cost you can afford. That is to say, Within your price range, buy a more-clear, better color smaller stone than a big ugly yellow stone. :)

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
What spouse?

Cheyenne
12-12-2007, 12:44 PM
www.jewelersdirect.com (http://www.jewelersdirect.com)
I have a couple right hand rings from them. GREAT company. I thought that bracelet looked familiar. ;)
Another good site for rings only.
http://www.cubicjewelry.com/shop/engagement.htm

Gals are smart for going for these. They are nearly as hard as a diamonds, are actually heavier, and always perfect. We freak when we mention a lab created diamond but not over a lab ruby or sapphire. I explain to couples who really can't afford much that if they buy one of these, get something reasonable and keep their mouth shut. Not that they are trying to be dishonest; it's no one else's business. And a girl in college, sporting a 3 carat diamond isn't all that believable.

DeBeers has managed to control this cartel for decades .....And yes, if DeBeers let loose of all the diamonds they had...... they wouldn't be worth as much as a CZ. :)