PDA

View Full Version : Got Some New Speakers Coming...

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah I've had the Infinity's for a little over two years now and I'm bored with them. Yes I think they're damn fine speakers. Their clarity and stereo imaging are impressive, but start to get a little mid heavy when turned up, and I've been missing that lovely bass thump of a bigger speaker. The twin 8" woofers in the Infinity's just don't do it. I believe those speakers were meant to be used with a sub-woofer, but I just can't bring myself to buy one of those. Don't know why... just don't like 'em. Maybe someday. But for now, the new speakers on their way in are legandary Cerwin Vega CLS-12's. I've been reading as many speaker reviews as I can find online about this speaker or that, and I've found that some of the most satified owners around are the Cerwin Vega people. The reviews of these speakers is simply glowing all around, and for the money, what the hell. I'm trying a pair, and I'll also get the matching surrounds as soon I sell all my Infinity's.

Cerwin Vega CLS-12

The most popular tower in the Classic Series, the CLS-12 offers three-way performance in a stylish enclosure. Featuring a 12-inch, cast frame high excursion woofer, the CLS includes a 6.5-inch mid-range speaker and a 1-inch soft dome tweeter coupled to a proprietary mid and high frequency waveguide..

• Frequency Response: 28 Hz - 20 kHz
• Peak Power Handling: 300 watts
• Sensitivity (1w/1m): 92 dB
• 6 1/2" Midrange with Fiber Impregnated Cone
• 1" Soft Dome Tweeter with Ferro Fluid
• 12" Cast Frame High Excursion Woofer
• Proprietary Mid and High Frequency Waveguide
• Fuse Protection
• Elegant Black-Ash Enclosure

Dimensions (HxWxD): 37" x 14" x 11.7"

Weight: 57 lbs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/2104407465_377fc6f786_o.jpg

nevadamedic
12-12-2007, 05:05 AM
I have Klipsch myself.

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 11:29 AM
I have Klipsch myself.

I don't have anything in particular against Klipsch. I've listened to them, and they just don't excite me. They sound plain.

manu1959
12-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't have anything in particular against Klipsch. I've listened to them, and they just don't excite me. They sound plain.

i have a pair of klipsch bookshelf speakers....they sound great....

darin
12-12-2007, 12:21 PM
I used to have CW! :)

Klipsch are the most-dynamic speakers on the market - at least 'affordable' speakers. They sound AMAZING. Personally, all CW's I've heard sounded a bit muddy - no offense, just my personal preference.

NM - what Klipsch do you have?

manu1959
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Klipsch are the most-dynamic speakers on the market - at least 'affordable' speakers. They sound AMAZING. Personally, all CW's I've heard sounded a bit muddy - no offense, just my personal preference.

klipsch are "bright" speakers.....

CV are "warm" speakers....

if they sounded muddy they probably were not balanced in the room you were listening to them....ethier too close our too far from the wall behinde them and or toed in or out too far...

it goes without saying one should pick speakers based on the music you like and based on listening to your fav music on them.....

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 12:32 PM

The new "Classic" Series, "CLS", Cerwins that I've got on order, have a brand new 1" soft dome tweeter with ferro fluid cooling, and a new 6 1/2" midrange with a fiber impregnated cone, and judging from the reviews, they're clear as a bell. Older CV's had a paper cone tweeter and smaller mid, and you're right, they weren't that clear. Just loud. I'll post after I get these new CV's home and get them bi-amped with 280 watts RMS per speaker what they sound like. They'll take 300 watts, so I'll have them powered up real close to their limit. Usually that makes a big difference in how a speaker sounds.

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 12:35 PM
i have a pair of klipsch bookshelf speakers....they sound great....

I've never owned Klipsch. Maybe if I don't like these CV's, I'll have to give Klipsch another listen.

darin
12-12-2007, 12:38 PM
I think most folk, or at least many folk underpower their loudspeakers. :)

I'm fairly intimate with this set up from Klipsch:

They are bright and warm, IMO:

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rf-7.aspx
They are complimented by a 15" powered sub. Ask -Cp about 'em. They're his. :D

I used to have a set of Klipsch Forte II loudspeakers. I LOVED them - they were very accurate, but they POUNDED...HARD. I loved that. :) No, I don't love hard poundings...unless I'm doing the pounding...erp...derailed thread. Sorry :)

I'm going to settle for these for our home-theatre: http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/r-5650-w.aspx

We just don't have room for floor-standing speakers.

manu1959
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I've never owned Klipsch. Maybe if I don't like these CV's, I'll have to give Klipsch another listen.

you could always buy some wilson benesch act .... and mono block them...

this is where i buy my crap.....http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=loudspeakers.....

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
klipsch are "bright" speakers.....

CV are "warm" speakers....

if they sounded muddy they probably were not balanced in the room you were listening to them....ethier too close our too far from the wall behinde them and or toed in or out too far...

it goes without saying one should pick speakers based on the music you like and based on listening to your fav music on them.....

And that's how I'd describe my Infinity Beta's. "Bright," and I'm sick of bright. It's hard to get them to "hit" a little harder, and lose some of that, and they're especially "bright" when cranked a little. I've always had speakers with bigger woofers in them. These Infinity towers are the first towers I've ever owned. They DO need a sub to compliment them. I mean, check out these speakers below. Those were what I had before I bought the Infinity's. Those things would rattle your nut sack standing eight feet away, and I ain't shittin'. I want to get back to something like that. Something that will "move some air." The JBL's below were just a little more than a hand full to move at 102 pounds a piece.

JBL S412P's....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2106146814_272c41973a_o.jpg

darin
12-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Does that little motorcycle ever get vibrated off the cabinet? :D

Didn't you get a new tv awhile ago?

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 01:00 PM
And as I've posted before... this is what I'm working towards. The Legacy Focus. Simply one of the best sounding speakers in the world, at a mere $5,500 a pair. Soon as I get this Harley paid off...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2105385463_b62bfe04d3_o.jpg

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Does that little motorcycle ever get vibrated off the cabinet? :D

Didn't you get a new tv awhile ago?

Oh yeah... that pic is from when I was going to MMI back in Phoenix, five years ago.

And I've had two new TV's since. I bought a 42" Toshiba HDTV, and that thing was a POS from day one, and now I have a 56" JVC D-ILA 1080P, and that one is a jewel. I love it.

darin
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
That's only a week's pay for Manu. :)

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Fuck... must be nice. :rolleyes:

manu1959
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM

not quite....

-Cp
12-12-2007, 01:49 PM
These are what I use:

http://www.klipsch.com/images/1228/400x400.aspx

Floorstanding: Klipsch RF-7
Surround: Klipsch RS-7
Center: Klipsch RC-7
Sub: Klipsch RSW-15

I'd put the RF-7's against most speakers I've ever heard - their definition, seperation and imaging - kick major ass... For folks who think Klipsch sound bright - they haven't heard the RF-7's.

darin
12-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Are those SuperStar Equalizers?

-Cp
12-12-2007, 02:18 PM
These are the latest Klipsch I'd love to hear:

Palladium P-39F Floorstander

http://www.klipsch.com/images/2118/300x300.aspx

$15k / pair

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 05:09 PM
These are the latest Klipsch I'd love to hear:

Palladium P-39F Floorstander

See I'd put these...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2007/2105385463_b62bfe04d3_o.jpg

... against those...

http://www.klipsch.com/images/2118/300x300.aspx

$15k / pair

... anyday. And the Legacy's are only $5.5K a pair.

These are what I use:

http://www.klipsch.com/images/1228/400x400.aspx

Floorstanding: Klipsch RF-7
Surround: Klipsch RS-7
Center: Klipsch RC-7
Sub: Klipsch RSW-15

I'd put the RF-7's against most speakers I've ever heard - their definition, seperation and imaging - kick major ass... For folks who think Klipsch sound bright - they haven't heard the RF-7's.

The Infinity Beta's I have now are in the exact same market that this system is in. Don't get me wrong, I like the Infinity's. I'm just sick of towers with smaller speakers in them that won't punch like speakers with bigger speakers in them. If you need a subwoofer, then your speakers aren't the whole package. I swear, the sound industry dreamt up the idea of building tall narrow tower speakers with small speakers in them, and then built another speaker with a big woofer in it, JUST SO YOU HAVE TO BUY MORE SPEAKERS. It's like a scam. Why was there a need to separate them?!

I do a lot of two channel music listening, and to most music lovers, they want a speaker that is the total package. Rather than having tall, skinny towers with little speakers and a separate sub, they'd rather have everything you need in one enclosure. It's all in how the sound is combined and directed through the room. Subwoofers might find a home where they can some what compliment one speaker, but the other one is going to be the red headed step child.

darin
12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
There's NO suprise that Pale likes Cerwin....VAGOS... :)

:D

Pale Rider
12-12-2007, 05:26 PM
There's NO suprise that Pale likes Cerwin....VAGOS... :)

:D

Hey... didn't notice that... :D

I haven't heard them yet. I'm HOPING like hell I'll like them. Just checked the tracking number and it said they're on schedule for the 17th delivery. Believe me, if I don't like them and I'm not satisfied, I'll report that and I'll start looking for something else immediately. I've owned about everything under the sun that's affordable. Like what most consumers would buy and maybe a little higher end. It's time for me to start buying more expensive shit. I'm getting board with the middle end stuff.

Pale Rider
12-17-2007, 07:33 PM
And they're here. WOW. The Infinity Beta's have NOTHING on these CV's in the clarity department. And now I can finally shut the Midnight/Loudness off and adjust the bass back, and I still finally have that familiar "hit" feeling and "chair vibrating" bass. Good God these things sound fantastic. Unsurpassable sound for the money. Outstanding. I think what I'm going to do is buy another pair and stack them, one upside down right on top of each other and make the ultimate speakers.

Listening to Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon... absolutely incredible... out-freaking-standing. Better than the Infinity Beta's, at half the price.

After listening to them, breaking them in, for about couple hours now, bottom line, do I like them better than the Infinity's they're replacing... BIG TIME, YES! Just goes to show, spending the most money doesn't always guarantee you your satisfaction.