PDA

View Full Version : Seattle might be better than you think...

darin
12-12-2007, 10:23 AM
While the Patriots certainly have established a pattern of dominance, and their coach may well have sold his soul to the devil, it's worth recalling 1998 when only three opponents came within a touchdown of the Vikings.

Or the 14-2 San Diego Chargers last year. Or the 14-2 Colts in 2005. Or the 14-2 St. Louis Rams in 2001.

Now consider the Seahawks. Elsewhere on this page, the Seattle P-I plays party pooper and points out that the Seahawks have played a ridiculously easy schedule and have won a ludicrously weak division.

Absolutely true.

Yet here's a mild counter to that: It's almost impossible to play a tough schedule in the NFC this year, considering 10 of 16 teams presently own losing records, compared with seven in the AFC. Every NFC division features at least two teams with losing records.

Moreover, if the Seahawks continue their present rate of improvement, it will become not completely unreasonable to argue that their present incarnation might be every bit the match of the 2005 Super Bowl team.

Hold on now. That sounds like a wild stretch, right?

Obviously, the Seahawks' running game was far superior in 2005, and the offensive line as a whole was physically dominating -- by most accounts the NFL's best. That comparison isn't close (and take a moment now to again mourn the administrative brain cramp that led to Steve Hutchinson's departure).

The counter to that is the receiving corps in 2007 is decisively better -- deeper and more skilled -- as is quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who's playing the best football of his career.

The defensive numbers are comparable between the two seasons, yet which position was stronger in 2005? Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill as rookies? No Julian Peterson?

How would you rate ends Patrick Kerney and Darryl Tapp versus Bryce Fisher and Grant Wistrom? What about the secondary -- would you choose any 2005 starter over the present lineup in the back half?

The special teams were better in 2005, but let's not get esoteric.

The most critical difference between the two teams is the 2005 crew only futzed around for a 2-2 start before catching fire, compared with the 4-4 mediocrity that had this town in a panic six weeks ago.

The entire article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/miller/343036_miller11.html

5stringJeff
12-12-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't think Seattle could win at either Green Bay or Dallas in the postseason. I hope they do, but I don't think they can.

darin
12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I think I feel the same way, Jeff. I just don't trust seattle. I know they have the talent - you know, any-given-sunday type of thing.