PDA

View Full Version : Remember This?

Kathianne
12-13-2007, 09:35 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hVYXjOfGYMebpWYh7i02fTan43VQD8TBOAO81

9 Dead in Nebraska Mall Shooting

By ANNA JO BRATTON and OSKAR GARCIA – Dec 5, 2007

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — A man opened fire with a rifle at a busy department store Wednesday, killing eight people in an attack that made holiday shoppers run screaming through a mall and barricade themselves in dressing rooms.

The young shooter, who left a note predicting, "Now I'll be famous," wounded five others, two critically, then took his own life.

Witnesses said the gunman sprayed fired down on shoppers from a third-floor balcony of the Von Maur store using what police said was an SKS assault rifle they found at the scene.

"My knees rocked. I didn't know what to do, so I just ran with everybody else," said Kevin Kleine, 29, who was shopping with her 4-year-old daughter at the Westroads Mall, in a prosperous neighborhood on the city's west side. She said she hid in a dressing room with four other shoppers and an employee.

Police found the first victim on the second floor, then several more near a customer service station on the third floor.

The shooter, identified by police as 19-year-old Robert A. Hawkins, was found dead on the third floor with a self-inflicted gunshot wound....

One wonders why, then the answer is provided:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071213/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting&printer=1;_ylt=AoXO9pyk_BU8GHaQBEtbfNBH2ocA

Mother of mall shooter apologizes

By JOSH FUNK, Associated Press WriterThu Dec 13, 5:16 PM ET

The mother of the teenage gunman who killed eight people at a busy shopping mall last week apologized Thursday for her son's crime and said she did her best raising him.

"I have been absolutely devastated," Maribel Rodriguez told The Associated Press. "The most difficult part is giving all of my best efforts to convey to all these beautiful people that I truly am sorry."

Her son, 19-year-old Robert Hawkins, fired more than 30 rounds inside a mall department store Dec. 5, striking 11 people. Eight of them died, and he killed himself. Families held funerals and memorial services for the victims this week.

Rodriguez said she is hurting more than the victims' families, since she is grieving for so many people: the victims, their friends and the community.

"My pain is a billion times greater than any of them," she said.

But, she added, she wishes more people had known her son.

"You guys really were robbed," she said. "That boy was oh-so funny."

Rodriguez had not had custody of Hawkins since she divorced his father about 15 years ago. When he was a teenager, there was one period when she did not have contact with him for more than two years.

"I'm not perfect, I know that," she said Thursday in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America." "But you tell me: What could I have done differently? I did my best."

Rodriguez said that she sought psychiatric treatment after the shootings, and checked herself out to plan his funeral. She said she and her son had a good relationship, and she felt obligated to apologize for his actions.

"I would never want for anyone to do what I have done these last couple days," Rodriguez said.

Hawkins was a troubled teenager who spent four years in a series of treatment centers, group homes and foster care after threatening to kill his stepmother in 2002. He had recently broken up with a girlfriend and lost his job at a McDonald's.

"He was without hope. He was without faith. He was without courage," Rodriguez said during the televised interview. "Because you don't do that to other people. You just don't do that to other people."

She and Hawkins ate supper together with two of her daughters at the house of her ex-husband — Hawkins' stepfather — the night before the shootings, Rodriguez said. The stepfather was vacationing in Thailand.

She said she tried to comfort Hawkins about being fired from his job. Her son devoured the meal, a T-bone steak, baked potato and salad.

"When I came back to the house, there was this sense, there was this air that something was wrong," she said.

She and police have said Hawkins took the assault rifle he used in the shootings from his stepfather's closet.

After he left foster care, Hawkins was returned to his father's home in December 2005. He had left his father's home some time before the shootings and was living with the parents of two friends.

Gunny
12-13-2007, 10:14 PM
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hVYXjOfGYMebpWYh7i02fTan43VQD8TBOAO81

One wonders why, then the answer is provided:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071213/ap_on_re_us/mall_shooting&printer=1;_ylt=AoXO9pyk_BU8GHaQBEtbfNBH2ocA

It's all about her. Like mother like son.

12-14-2007, 02:56 AM
she did her best? Hardly. You don't do your best by thinking solely of oneself. and I am sorry but saying "My pain is a billion times greater than any of them," does not show selflessness.

i am so tired of selfish parents half assing their way and pretending as if they are actually doing their best when they screw up their children.

no success in life can compensate for failure in the home. because when you screw up children, you screw up generations of society.

PostmodernProphet
12-14-2007, 05:38 AM
The stepfather was vacationing in Thailand

????...stepfather vacationing alone in Thailand?.......why do I see red flags.....