PDA

View Full Version : weed

manu1959
12-14-2007, 07:41 PM
anyone hear the report out of new zeland today.....

one spliff equals 5 cigs and can cause asthma and bronchitis......

Mr. P
12-14-2007, 07:51 PM

what's 'spliff' ? A joint? If so, I heard the same claim bout that many years ago here...I think it was proven wrong.

Yurt
12-14-2007, 08:04 PM
what's 'spliff' ? A joint? If so, I heard the same claim bout that many years ago here...I think it was proven wrong.

it was proven wrong.

i took debate in college. we had topics to throw out, and ganja was the one the prof picked, i chose "pro" ganja. did killer research man and, it was like, woah, an eye opener. actually, by the end of my research, I became convinced that marijuana should be legal, has less harmful effects than alcohol and tobacco.

and yes, i kicked ass in the debate. p-p-prohibition I say...... I mean if we are going to allow alcohol to be legal, there is absolutely no reason why we can't allow the reefer. and for the dems, you can tax it like alcohol. at least people would get "clean/good" reefer, vs, backyard moonshine. Not that good moonshine is bad, tho, I think I would pass out after one sip.

somebody please bring up the "gateway drug" argument.

Dilloduck
12-14-2007, 08:12 PM
it was proven wrong.

i took debate in college. we had topics to throw out, and ganja was the one the prof picked, i chose "pro" ganja. did killer research man and, it was like, woah, an eye opener. actually, by the end of my research, I became convinced that marijuana should be legal, has less harmful effects than alcohol and tobacco.

What were the harmful effects that you discovered in your research?

diuretic
12-14-2007, 08:19 PM
I'll bring up the gateway drug argument.

If alcohol was prohibited it would be a gateway drug, it's not illegal, it's not a gateway drug. It's not the substance that creates the entry into a criminal subculture, it's the status (prohibited) which creates a gateway drug.

Prohibition means risk in producing the drug whether it be by cultivating cannabis or distilling liquor. The risk-takers are likely to be involved with criminals or criminals themselves. So the user has to form an association with criminals.

Criminals produce other substances and can provide them. Some users will be curious and may want to try other substances (it doesn't always follow anyway). Remember the power of breaking a taboo, it takes a lot of nerve to do it the first time but the second time is easier. Answer, don't make a drug like cannabis prohibited, no taboo rule to break, no exploring to be done.

Now I'll be attacked for that, someone will say where do we draw the line? I'd answer that we don't draw a line anywhere, the best approach is to look at the harm likely to be done by misuse of any drug and work from there and get away from blanket prohibitions.

Cannabis has its physiological harm factors, as does alcohol and tobacco but only cannabis is prohibited. That sends the wrong message because most people understand that cannabis isn't as immediately harmful as, say, crystal meth. People are able to discriminate in their drug use. I drink alcohol, I don't smoke tobacco or cannabis. I don't want to smoke tobacco or cannabis and of course I don't use any of the other prohibited substances.

truthmatters
12-14-2007, 08:19 PM
It should be legal.

It is next to harmless.

Dilloduck
12-14-2007, 08:31 PM
It should be legal.

It is next to harmless.

Next to harmless

less harmful effects than alcohol and tobacco.

Anyone got the straight poop about pot other than how it compares to things sold legally ?

(straight poop about pot--I like that one) :coffee:

dan
12-14-2007, 10:34 PM
The straight poop (as I see it):

It IS unhealthy to a degree. You're pumping smoke into your lungs, that's not good no matter how you look at it. Of course, no potsmoker that I know smokes as many joints as the average tobacco smoker smokes cigs. And, I hear that "one joint equals ___ cigarettes" argument thrown around so often, it means nothing to me.

There are negative side effects. It makes you lethargic, which can be seen as a positive and/or a negative. One might say that while it does take away your ambition, it makes you happy with things that you wouldn't be happy with without it (I hope that made sense). It slows down your metabolism and gives you the munchies, so it can make you fat, but that's on a case-by-case basis and it's not like you HAVE to eat a whole bag of Cool Ranch Doritos while you watch Anchorman (speaking entirely hypothetically here:laugh2:). There have been NO links to depression or addiction, which I think should be the two main factors in the legalization argument.

It is far safer to drive high than drunk. Admittedly, as with everything, you can get to the point that you shouldn't drive, but I'd rather ride with someone stoned than someone drunk. While this sounds like stoner propaganda, it really does enhance your perceptions to a degree, and it makes you drive much slower and more cautiously. The only major downside is that you can sometimes get a little too wrapped up in the song on the radio.

In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. I'm more liberal on this topic, though, I think we should legalize all drugs except heroin, coke, crack, and meth. But, really, I think the majority of people don't even really consider pot a drug anymore. I honestly don't know a single person my age who's never smoked, and I know very, very few who don't do it on occasion, at a party or whatever. Maybe I'm just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I say legalize it, tax the shit out of it, then everybody wins: the gov't gets another source of cash, the stoners get their grass, what's wrong with that?

Dilloduck
12-14-2007, 10:50 PM
The straight poop (as I see it):

It IS unhealthy to a degree. You're pumping smoke into your lungs, that's not good no matter how you look at it. Of course, no potsmoker that I know smokes as many joints as the average tobacco smoker smokes cigs. And, I hear that "one joint equals ___ cigarettes" argument thrown around so often, it means nothing to me.

There are negative side effects. It makes you lethargic, which can be seen as a positive and/or a negative. One might say that while it does take away your ambition, it makes you happy with things that you wouldn't be happy with without it (I hope that made sense). It slows down your metabolism and gives you the munchies, so it can make you fat, but that's on a case-by-case basis and it's not like you HAVE to eat a whole bag of Cool Ranch Doritos while you watch Anchorman (speaking entirely hypothetically here:laugh2:). There have been NO links to depression or addiction, which I think should be the two main factors in the legalization argument.

It is far safer to drive high than drunk. Admittedly, as with everything, you can get to the point that you shouldn't drive, but I'd rather ride with someone stoned than someone drunk. While this sounds like stoner propaganda, it really does enhance your perceptions to a degree, and it makes you drive much slower and more cautiously. The only major downside is that you can sometimes get a little too wrapped up in the song on the radio.

In my opinion, the pros outweigh the cons. I'm more liberal on this topic, though, I think we should legalize all drugs except heroin, coke, crack, and meth. But, really, I think the majority of people don't even really consider pot a drug anymore. I honestly don't know a single person my age who's never smoked, and I know very, very few who don't do it on occasion, at a party or whatever. Maybe I'm just hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I say legalize it, tax the shit out of it, then everybody wins: the gov't gets another source of cash, the stoners get their grass, what's wrong with that?

got some links to go with that info?

82Marine89
12-14-2007, 10:56 PM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LEvoKPuq77o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LEvoKPuq77o&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

dan
12-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Marine just offered the only link anybody ever needs. "That was my skull!"

actsnoblemartin
12-14-2007, 11:38 PM
in england, a faggot = a cigerette

Sitarro
12-15-2007, 01:15 AM
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LEvoKPuq77o&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LEvoKPuq77o&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Easily the finest role Sean Penn ever played.:clap::clap::clap::laugh2:

dan
12-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Easily the finest role Sean Penn ever played.:clap::clap::clap::laugh2:

Even if I didn't agree with this statement, I'd say I did just because I know how much it would piss off Penn!:laugh2:

His brother was a good actor, played a tough guy really well.

manu1959
12-15-2007, 03:01 PM
found the link.....http://technocrat.net/d/2007/7/30/23991

One joint causes the same obstruction in the lungs as two and a half to five tobacco cigarettes, says the researchers of the Medical Institute of New Zealand after studying 339 people including tobacco users, cannabis users, mixed users (tobacco and pot), and non-smokers.

dan
12-15-2007, 05:10 PM
in england, a faggot = a cigerette

In america, a faggot = jimnyc.

:laugh2:

jackass
12-17-2007, 07:08 PM
In america, a faggot = jimnyc.

:laugh2:

:lol::lol::lol:

ZING!!!

Nukeman
12-17-2007, 07:45 PM
found the link.....http://technocrat.net/d/2007/7/30/23991

One joint causes the same obstruction in the lungs as two and a half to five tobacco cigarettes, says the researchers of the Medical Institute of New Zealand after studying 339 people including tobacco users, cannabis users, mixed users (tobacco and pot), and non-smokers.

I would say they got that result since a joint doesn't have a Filter. Now you compair the results of a joint to say a non-filter Camel and I bet the results are damn close.

Nukeman
12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
It should be legal.

It is next to harmless.

Hey, thanks for the cut on my forehead, where I passed out an hit the desk.

Stop making sense your confusing the rest of us.:laugh2: